AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Fallout 4 and jaded pc-gaming...

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Google Fiber.

Yeah, they're probably mining my browsing for advertising..but at that speed...they can have all the data they want!

Damn. Our telecom rules means I will likely never get it up here in Canada :( I shall merely dream lol

I'm lucky if i can get 800 kbytes per second here where i live

Figured I'd write up a few more thoughts now I've played a little more. This is spoiler free with a few tips of stuff I wish I knew last week.

I'm in little doubt that fallout 4 is to Fallout 3 what Skyrim is to Oblivion.

The new mod/repair system

With the exception of power armour you don't have to repair your stuff. While I do miss the feel of needing to patch up my stuff with stuff I find, I'm not left endlessly merging weapons or afraid to use that super rare weapon that I can never get parts for, so I'm overall happy with this trade off.

Modding your weapons and armour is fun, you don't have to put points into the associated skill tree as you will find mods on items you find out and about but you will need to put a basic replacement part on to get it off to put on your main weapon, so you still need to collect lots of junk but of course it's random what you will get.

Remember the first time you played one of these games and picked up everything and couldn't move, then realised that half of it was useless junk. Now even that light bulb, aluminium can and duct tape, OMG duct tape, have a use in modding, so you are going to want to pick up everything but you're going to need to prioritise, you can flag up items you're missing at the workbenches.

Traps
I seem to remember Fallout 3 having a lot of different types of traps and them being everywhere. I haven't seen the pram bomb or the shotgun trap but I have seen plenty of mines and a few grenade bunches, those noise things and some tripwire explosives. I kind of miss the pram bombs and shotgun tripwires but I've still managed to blow myself up a few times anyway.

Adhesive
If you doing any sort of crafting adhesives is going to be one of your big choke points as it's used in a lot of stuff. So you will scream with joy when you find some super glue or duct tape, maybe you do in real life anyway but that's another story.

Fortunately you can cook food starch which can be broken down into 5 adhesive. You just need some purified water which you can get from the water plants you can build for your settlements and some corn and Mutfruit.

Settlements
While you could neglected to do anything with settlements, it makes sense to work on at least one and estabilse it as your home base for crafting and repairs. Do the first few quests in the minuteman quest line for a really basic tutorial of how settlements work, it really doesn't hold your hand.

If you're serious about settlements you're going to have to put some points into cap collector and local leader.

How you build is really well done and it leaves it up to you for placement of things, it's like they turned on the level editor for the area of your settlement and said go nuts

Levelling, perk tree and level cap
There is no level cap, so you could technically go through and get 250+ levels and pick up every skill, goodbye life. I like the fact that there isn't a level cap.

Initially looking at the perk tree it seems like a simplification but there is a lot of depth here. I'm glad they let you use the perk chart instead of your pipboy as it makes it far easier to figure out what you want to put points into. Don't forget that some skills have multiple levels and you can see these for an idea of how far into you'd like to go.

Radiation
How radiation affects you is one of the biggest changes. It doesn't effect your stats anymore but instead you get a red bar that fills the other way on your health. This removes from your overall health making your bar smaller.

I hate this change in part because it feels like an over simplification of the previous system and love it because it forces you to take radiation way more seriously than in 3.

This does make even trivial things like standing outside in a storm while crafting dangerous, as you taking small radiation hits from the storm.

VATS
This doesn't fully stop time as it did in 3 but it's more like a slow mo sequence. No overall preference as to what I preferred.

Power Armour
No longer an armour type in the traditional sense but the third layer of bolt on armour that turns you into a walking tank. Not over powered by the fact that you need to power it with fusion cores which early on are quite rare and will limit your use of it. A good change made better by the fact that you can also mod the hell out of your power armour too although this seem more reliant on taking the armourer perk.

Companions
The main storyline seems to do a good job of sending you to seek out possible companions but there are some I've stumbled on too. It's worth getting the perk from your companion as it stays active even when they aren't with you.

VATS
This doesn't fully stop time as it did in 3 but it's more like a slow mo sequence. No overall preference as to what I preferred.

I really miss the old stop time VATS. I liked planning who gets killed first by checking to see who looks most dangerous, not just taking the first person VATS goes to since they will keep closing in on me. I often found myself just shooting from the hip since VATS was worthless with enemies too close to me.

I really miss the old stop time VATS. I liked planning who gets killed first by checking to see who looks most dangerous, not just taking the first person VATS goes to since they will keep closing in on me. I often found myself just shooting from the hip since VATS was worthless with enemies too close to me.
I also love planning out who's going to die, which like you I miss and that's the probably the biggest downside of Fallout 4 VATS, You're right that once they get in close it loses it's effectiveness. I'm playing mostly as a sniper, so the first shot I typically take without VATS and then depending on what's happening I might take some more free shots or go into VATS to use some AP.

Not only is it annoying that VATS doesn't stop time anymore, it is also way too under-powered. It's rarely ever useful to use it simply because the chances of hitting are so much lower than when you aim manually.

Reactions: LilyOhRiley
I'm love love loving the junk/scrapping system. I used to hoard all of the crap I found in the older games, only to find it sold for nothing and burdened me down all of the time. It's a fun change to get to USE it. Although how a mailbox and a wad of old pre-war cash can magically transform into a bed, I will never quite understand.

Reactions: Always_Tim
I'm love love loving the junk/scrapping system. I used to hoard all of the crap I found in the older games, only to find it sold for nothing and burdened me down all of the time. It's a fun change to get to USE it. Although how a mailbox and a wad of old pre-war cash can magically transform into a bed, I will never quite understand.
Absolutely. And that you can loot stuff from containers and bodies without opening an inventory screen which always took a second or two to load.

Reactions: Always_Tim
I am much more worried about them dumbing down the system and screwing with the moral grayness of the factions than I am about textures. Being a Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 player, I was so disappointed when they made the Brotherhood of Steel into the "good guys" in Fallout 3 and they took away the complexities of playing a darker character by removing some of the features like the character reputation from previous games. In this way, New Vegas (which was developed by Obsidian) was more faithful to the original games.

Don't get me wrong, I am still incredibly excited about it, and even if they dumbed everything down the prospect of seeing what the Fallout universe looked like pre-apocalypse is enough to make me very happy.

THIS.

Fallout 4 was a huge disappointment for me. They dumbed down the entire leveling system to the point that it is just gross. No more number crunching. I guess for some people that is a good thing. The story is completely lacking--it's flat. Yes, it is an open world--but that is quite pointless when you are doing the same thing over and over. "Oh another legendary, let's see what 100% loot drop item I get this time. Woo." "Another settlement from the Minutemen? Sigh. Great.".

And I agree with the quote above that the darker aspect of the game is completely gone. I actually played FO4 for about 100 hours and then shifted to try New Vegas for the first time. The desperation and feeling of hopelessness in NV is so much more powerful whereas FO4 just seems like you are traveling on a happy rainbow while prancing around shooting Mr. Handys. Yawn.

To the OP? Graphics. I was actually excited that they kept some of the derpy graphics from previous games. In fact, I was excited that their Bethesda-common graphics were a hint that the gameplay, story, and UI would be absolutely epic...

Sad day.

The first wave of DLC has been announced, with three add-ons coming in March, April, and May. The first two are rather minor add-ons, but the third one is supposedly the biggest landmass they've put in an expansion (so bigger than Shivering Isles). There will be more DLC to come later in the year, which they're not currently saying anything about. As a result of the expanded amount of DLC they will be raising the price of the season pass from $29.99 to $49.99 on March 1. So if you were planning to get the season pass but haven't yet, be sure to get it before March 1!

I'm a console-based heathen, but I've been loving the shit out of Fallout 4. For some reason NV didn't really resonate with me, but with 4 I've jumped headlong into role-playing as my character and it's been a great experience. I'm relatively a Fallout newb, though, so take my input with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.