AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Hulu ending free version of its service

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I had totally forgotten that Hulu had a free service, it's been so long since I'd made use of it. That stated, I actually love Hulu as a service, more than Netflix. I'm happy to pay a couple dollars more for the commercial-free tier. I'm a fan of tiered plans in general, so I think it's a bummer that it's losing its lowest tier. The ads must not have paid enough, considering that the free service was browser-only, and people using browsers are also likely making use of ad blockers. If Hulu had extended the free service to streaming boxes like Roku, where ads can't really be skipped, I wonder if it might have been saved.

And? I never watched Hulu... It's unavailable in the Netherlands.. why should I care? I don't watch much television anyways.

Well then, I guess this post wasn't aimed in your direction.

Honestly, I had totally forgotten that Hulu had a free service, it's been so long since I'd made use of it. That stated, I actually love Hulu as a service, more than Netflix. I'm happy to pay a couple dollars more for the commercial-free tier. I'm a fan of tiered plans in general, so I think it's a bummer that it's losing its lowest tier. The ads must not have paid enough, considering that the free service was browser-only, and people using browsers are also likely making use of ad blockers. If Hulu had extended the free service to streaming boxes like Roku, where ads can't really be skipped, I wonder if it might have been saved.

Well then, I guess this post wasn't aimed in your direction.
Actually people did try to use ad blockers on Hulu, but Hulu was able to detect them. If you had an ad blocker on, Hulu would display a message telling you to disable it.

Actually people did try to use ad blockers on Hulu, but Hulu was able to detect them. If you had an ad blocker on, Hulu would display a message telling you to disable it.

My experience with it was that it would display the message, but still play the programming. You'd just have a lot of dead air where the commercials would usually go.

I never knew Hulu had a free service. I pay for the no commercial plan and don't consider it pricey by any means. The commercials are only annoying because they're so repetitive. You could watch it for three hours and just see the same two commercials over and over, that's enough to drive me to madness.

It has some weird shows that Netflix doesn't. Every single show I actually watch and keep up with is aired on Hulu the day after it airs on tv so I think that's pretty nifty and well worth paying for.

I'm happy to hear that, personally. On any site I actively use I prefer to take the paid option because I want to support the company. I don't really mind quality ads, but I hate how much of the internet has switched from paid services to ads in order to bring in revenue. I think it's created an environment of entitlement, like people think there should always be a free option. I get that it became a thing to try to curb pirating, but that didn't really work, so...

Reactions: Gen
I'm happy to hear that, personally. On any site I actively use I prefer to take the paid option because I want to support the company. I don't really mind quality ads, but I hate how much of the internet has switched from paid services to ads in order to bring in revenue. I think it's created an environment of entitlement, like people think there should always be a free option. I get that it became a thing to try to curb pirating, but that didn't really work, so...
I hate it when they play ads before YouTube videos.

When the hell did Hulu have a free service? :wtf: *time to come out from under my rock*

I've done the free trials a couple times, but never really found much that interested me

I agree that the commercial free option is completely worth it! I dropped satellite TV in December, and never looked back. I'm just using commercial free Hulu and CBS All Access (just now for Big Brother). The only thing I wish is that they had The Walking Dead, but I will just subscribe to Netflix again sometime for a couple months to binge watch and catch myself up again.

I just do not see how they can justify charging more than Netflix for their commercial free option, but I have cable and can watch most shows on demand already.

I only used Hulu back in high school after I finished an assignment. (They forgot to block it.) Even then however, it wasn't that great. The ads took up way to much of the time. Made it impossible to watch anything.

I just do not see how they can justify charging more than Netflix for their commercial free option, but I have cable and can watch most shows on demand already.

It's a different type of service. Netflix doesn't offer day-after-airing streaming, and that's Hulu's biggest draw. If you don't have cable, then Hulu is the best way to stay current on most of what's on TV. Netflix has no type of deal like that with any network, and they have to wait until months after seasons end to get them posted. So, Netflix is mostly for patient binge-watchers, who don't care about keeping up with current seasons. Hulu also has a lot greater breadth of shows on offer. Most of that is the latest five episodes of the latest season, but regardless, Hulu's list of exclusives is pretty extensive, and as Netflix pares down its content and continues to focus on in-house production, Hulu keeps growing its offerings.

Besides, we're talking about a $2 difference. As far as I'm concerned, that extra $2 is totally worth it. Hell, just for the massive anime catalog on Hulu, that extra $2 is worth it.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Shaun__ and Gen
I used to watch hulu for free, then wanted to get rid of ads. Paid for it monthly, still had the exact same ads. Not as advertised. Not like I really cared, I just don't like how hulu falsely advertises stuff like that. I'm totally for supporting them, but don't lie to me man. :mad: Anyway, I think it's good they are getting rid of the free service. I feel like getting rid of it may possibly expand the quality of their service. Like not just having the first 3 episodes of an anime I desperately want to watch. Just a thought of mine.

Did you get a new VPN service? PIA doesn't work with Hulu anymore.

Hulu has a been a lot more serious than Netflix about VPNs for a long time. I don't watch TV programming enough to justify hopping from one VPN to another every time they get shut out. I'm not even close to exhausting all the stuff I'd like to watch on plain old Canadian Netflix. Still, I'd love to have access to some newer series on Hulu when the urge gets me, and I'd definitely like to watch YT without advertisements.

Hulu has a been a lot more serious than Netflix about VPNs for a long time. I don't watch TV programming enough to justify hopping from one VPN to another every time they get shut out. I'm not even close to exhausting all the stuff I'd like to watch on plain old Canadian Netflix. Still, I'd love to have access to some newer series on Hulu when the urge gets me, and I'd definitely like to watch YT without advertisements.
Actually, NordVPN has found a way to bypass Netflix's VPN blocking.
https://nordvpn.com/blog/service-update-netflix/
And so has Buffered VPN. https://buffered.com/support/cant-access-netflix/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.