AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

MST3k

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zippypinhead

V.I.P. AmberLander
Jan 21, 2013
I'm digging the new season of Mystery Science Theater 3000. I'm also watching old episodes, too! Netflix and Hulu both have a good amount of episodes, and the crossover is surprisingly minimal. Netflix has a handful of the greatest hits, and Hulu has a bunch of the hidden gems.

Reactions: Lorelei and n_i_c_u
I'm digging the new season of Mystery Science Theater 3000. I'm also watching old episodes, too! Netflix and Hulu both have a good amount of episodes, and the crossover is surprisingly minimal. Netflix has a handful of the greatest hits, and Hulu has a bunch of the hidden gems.

Yeah zip they do that on purpose so you have to have both services, Neflix to get the majority and then Hulu to get the few you have that are missing, cross check a few other shows that are like this, not all do it but yeah.

Reactions: zippypinhead
If you have Roku, you can also add Pluto TV. Maybe it's accessible outside of Roku as well? There's a channel on there that shows MST3K 24/7. There are ads, and they repeat episodes, but it's something (and it's free). Personally, I'm a filthy pirate, and I have a bunch of files still from the eDonkey days. Keep circulating the tapes, etc. (I like the new "keep circulating the URL" :p) I do also have Hulu and Netflix at the moment, so there's always something comfy to put on.

I've only watched the first two eps of the new series, so I don't really want to comment much yet, besides that I'm glad it's back :)

So far Avalanche has been my fav episode. I'm really happy with the new series, but one of them was so bad it put me to sleep.
Guess they can't all be extreme losers. :D

Yeah zip they do that on purpose so you have to have both services, Neflix to get the majority and then Hulu to get the few you have that are missing, cross check a few other shows that are like this, not all do it but yeah.

To make clear, it's Hulu that has more old episodes, but I get your meaning. MST3k is one of those shows that you can get pretty easily without paying, but I figure there are plenty of people who pay for one streaming service or the other, if not both, so I mentioned them for the sake of convenience. If all we're interested in is where you can get the most of the old MST3k, then just catch it (free but with commercials) on Shout! Factory's streaming service. Obviously, though, the new season is exclusive to Netflix.

I read that they had funded this season through Kickstarter a couple of years back. Now that they're on Netflix, I wonder if they'll be able to do more seasons without having to campaign funding like that again, what with Netflix handing money out like it's candy on Halloween to keep beefing up their catalog of original content.

If you have Roku, you can also add Pluto TV. Maybe it's accessible outside of Roku as well? There's a channel on there that shows MST3K 24/7. There are ads, and they repeat episodes, but it's something (and it's free). Personally, I'm a filthy pirate, and I have a bunch of files still from the eDonkey days. Keep circulating the tapes, etc. (I like the new "keep circulating the URL" :p) I do also have Hulu and Netflix at the moment, so there's always something comfy to put on.

I've only watched the first two eps of the new series, so I don't really want to comment much yet, besides that I'm glad it's back :)

I don't mind paying for streaming. A few bucks a month for the convenience is fine by me. Pluto.tv seems to be available everywhere except my cheap Blu-Ray player. I had a Roku, but it really had a hard time communicating with my internet for some reason. Oh well. It'll be fun to see what sort of streaming opens up to me once I get a

So far Avalanche has been my fav episode. I'm really happy with the new series, but one of them was so bad it put me to sleep.
Guess they can't all be extreme losers. :D

I actually dozed off during the second movie, Cry Wilderness. I couldn't imagine having to sit through that tedious mess without people joking about how boring and terrible it was all the time.

Speaking of jokes, one thing I've noticed, since I'm watching both old and new right now, is just how much more constant the riffing is in the new episodes. It feels a little less organic, like it's clear that it has all been written and recorded beforehand, where, at least with the old Joel episodes, the riffing feels more improvisational. I think both have their place, but it's a change in style that has definitely struck me. I think I'm going to try out a Mike episode tonight, and see how those stack up.

Reactions: n_i_c_u and Picnic
If you have Roku, you can also add Pluto TV. Maybe it's accessible outside of Roku as well?

I use the Pluto app my tablet. Lot of old random stuff like Dick Cavett interviews, caught one with Alfred Hitchcock explaining how the props were done in the 30s. Brilliant stuff in an era before CGI or FX leading to it.

Great app to watch something when taking a moment on a throne for yourself.

Overall I like the new MST3K. But I miss Gypsy's voice!! That really made her character for me. A small price to pay to have MST3K back, but I still cringe every time she's got lines. It will take some getting used to...

Speaking of jokes, one thing I've noticed, since I'm watching both old and new right now, is just how much more constant the riffing is in the new episodes. It feels a little less organic, like it's clear that it has all been written and recorded beforehand, where, at least with the old Joel episodes, the riffing feels more improvisational. I think both have their place, but it's a change in style that has definitely struck me. I think I'm going to try out a Mike episode tonight, and see how those stack up.

Apparently the "improvisational" feel you hear from the earlier episodes was scripted as well (you probably knew that already, but, whateves--maybe they fear the attention span of the younger viewer or maybe they have soooo much energy coming ooozing out of them and thus the constant riffing? I tried getting thru season 1 on a "I'm gonna watch every episode in order" king of thing and it was tough because it was so much less riffing).

May I suggest for a Mike episode: "Outlaw" (of GOR)? It's got everything--action, adventure, drama, a funny guy and is still horribly bad.

but one of them was so bad it put me to sleep.

Not exactly to your point, but for me it is almost like a sleep machine sometimes and I find myself knocking back a few nappy zzzz's because it seems soooo comfortable. It just knocks me out in a good way much better than most tv shows when I should be getting rest :) (that might not have sounded the best for promoting the series)

Apparently the "improvisational" feel you hear from the earlier episodes was scripted as well (you probably knew that already, but, whateves--maybe they fear the attention span of the younger viewer or maybe they have soooo much energy coming ooozing out of them and thus the constant riffing? I tried getting thru season 1 on a "I'm gonna watch every episode in order" king of thing and it was tough because it was so much less riffing).

May I suggest for a Mike episode: "Outlaw" (of GOR)? It's got everything--action, adventure, drama, a funny guy and is still horribly bad.

I love the GOR movies. I'm a huge sucker for terrible 80s sword and sorcery. Thanks for the tip! I'm definitely going to seek that one out.

Not exactly to your point, but for me it is almost like a sleep machine sometimes and I find myself knocking back a few nappy zzzz's because it seems soooo comfortable. It just knocks me out in a good way much better than most tv shows when I should be getting rest :) (that might not have sounded the best for promoting the series)

I totally agree. I've slept through a couple of seasons, cumulatively. I think that's why I noticed how quick the jokes came in the new season. The energy is different. Not better or worse, but definitely different. Honestly, I was kind of a little relieved to find I'd dozed off during Cry Wilderness, because it means I can still use the show as a bedtime relaxer.

Reactions: n_i_c_u
Overall I like the new MST3K. But I miss Gypsy's voice!! That really made her character for me. A small price to pay to have MST3K back, but I still cringe every time she's got lines. It will take some getting used to...

Since I didn't get into the show until a couple of years ago, I don't have the same sort of attachment to old characters as other people might. So, I don't mind it, or the noticeable change in pitch with Tom Servo. The original Servo had such a great "radio" voice. At least they addressed her voice change in the first episode, by mentioning an "upgrade".

Reactions: Picnic
I think that's why I noticed how quick the jokes came in the new season. The energy is different. Not better or worse, but definitely different.

I get it. In my limited viewing of this season so far, it does almost seem like they have seen the movie and react to scenes almost immediately. It seems pretty fast paced and cutting some jokes might have made it feel like olden times. Past seasons it seemed like they are experiencing the movie as it happens. I can see reasons why they might do it the way they do now (not sure if it is the right decision) but you are not alone in seeing the difference.

Anyone finding themselves attributing jokes to the new peoples vs. joel? I'm sometimes thinking: that has got to be one Joel put in there and vise versa. It is just fun. I doubt I will ever know.

So, I don't mind it, or the noticeable change in pitch with Tom Servo.

I know I am really getting geeky here, but, I found with myself that I jelled with Kevin Murphy as Tom Servo. Trace Beaulieu was my Crow T. Robot. Like @Picnic, the upgrade on Gypsy's vocals is a little tough and for me is sorta like moving from Windows XP to Vista (or windows 10). :) but you know I think I will grow in to it all like I did when they changed people and Bill Corbet became Crow (the hardest) or Josh abandoned Servo. Sometimes I do find myself wondering who is saying what in this new season (if I can't see Crow's mouth move).

Other than those things I really can't believe how much I laughed out loud (my neighbors might think I'm crazy). This series though really is so silly and always a brain test for humor. Love the Skeleton Crew (coolest band evaarrrrrrr). :)

Reactions: Picnic
Oh my gosh! My friends just got me into MST3K this year, and I already love it! I've been watching a mix of old and new, so I'm not familiar enough with either style to notice many differences between the two except the human cast members. But the sarcasm and silliness fit in very well with my own sense of humor. I think Space Mutiny is my favorite episode so far.

Reactions: n_i_c_u
Status
Not open for further replies.