AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

What are you reading right now?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He is... I had the luck of meeting him and even having a drink in Bucharest a few months ago :)

The map's really cool! I just spent a very fun 15 minutes of my life :)
Is it based on popularity over time? Or just the first thing that comes to mind when you think of a country? I.e. Great Britain forms me would've been Pygmalion without a second thought... the play and Shaw himself is such a representation of the country that it's hard to rival :)

He is... I had the luck of meeting him and even having a drink in Bucharest a few months ago :)

The map's really cool! I just spent a very fun 15 minutes of my life :)
Is it based on popularity over time? Or just the first thing that comes to mind when you think of a country? I.e. Great Britain forms me would've been Pygmalion without a second thought... the play and Shaw himself is such a representation of the country that it's hard to rival :)

Apparently the book choices were the most important/influential books per country. Some people dispute certain choices and I'm no expert but I can tell at least vouch for some books in Latin American continent.
It was certainly a great way to add an extra variety to my library. "Persepolis" was the newest discovery I hadn't knew much about before.

Now reading McLuhan
07.Ch-The-Process_The-Medium-is-the-Message-pp.-20-21.jpg

Reactions: NatalieP
Currently reading...

51ZskGlbKUL.SX316.jpg

First of eight in a series.

In the first book of the Kencyrath, Jame, a young woman missing her memories, struggles out of the haunted wastes into Tai-tastigon, the old, corrupt, rich and god-infested city between the mountains and the lost lands of the Kencyrath. Jame's struggle to regain her strength, her memories, and the resources to travel to join her people, the Kencyrath, drag her into several relationships, earning affection, respect, bitter hatred and, as always, haunting memories of friends and enemies dead in her wake.

Okay so I got distracted and instead of starting all the missing girls I did Waiting to be Heard, by Amanda Knox...dude. y'all. I don't know how accurate it is but seriously if the little things she says are true, it's literally impossible that she had anything to do with the murder! and yet people still think she's guilty? seriously a huge case of the media vs her!

I was gonna start the other one but my coworker finished American Gods and it seems pretty intriguing so I started it today!

Reactions: NatalieP and Gen
Cold Welcome

Nebula Award - winning author Elizabeth Moon makes a triumphant return to science fiction with a thrilling series featuring Kylara Vatta, the daring hero of her acclaimed Vatta's War sequence.

After nearly a decade away, Nebula Award - winning author Elizabeth Moon makes a triumphant return to science fiction with this installment in a thrilling new series featuring the daring hero of her acclaimed Vatta's War sequence.

Summoned to the home planet of her family's business empire, space-fleet commander Kylara Vatta is told to expect a hero's welcome. But instead she is thrown into danger unlike any other she has faced and finds herself isolated, unable to communicate with the outside world, commanding a motley group of unfamiliar troops, and struggling day by day to survive in a deadly environment with sabotaged gear. Only her undeniable talent for command can give her ragtag band a fighting chance.

Yet even as Ky leads her team from one crisis to another, her family and friends refuse to give up hope, endeavoring to mount a rescue from halfway around the planet - a task that is complicated as Ky and her supporters find secrets others will kill to protect: a conspiracy infecting both government and military that threatens not only her own group's survival but her entire home planet.

51mnF0VAErL.SX316.jpg

"The Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" by Caitlin Doughty. Tells gruesome stories about being a mortician, but gives it a funny twist. She's also really informative about how different cultures celebrate death.

Reactions: Ori Adair and Gen
Freedom's Challenge by Anne McCaffrey.

The third novel in the "Catteni" sequence finds the inhabitants of Botany safe from harm beneath the impervious bubble surrounding their planet. But as they find themselves still under attack from monstrous Eosi ships, they formulate a plan to rid themselves of the Eosi, once and for all.

51-j4uAo-UL.SX316.jpg

Jules et Jim, Henri-Pierre Roché

Spotted yesterday at a bookcrossing point. Could't help but take it and read it again. A classic.

Been on an indie sci-fi kick lately - new authors, new ideas, not always great, but usually some twist.

Most recent is a return to known authors, Michael Crichton's "Timeline" which is a sci-thriller premise I dig.... I didn't dig it. Let's start over, I love books like "A Connecticut Yankee in King Author's Court", "Robinson Crusoe", and "The Lost Regiment" series was a hoot - all about a person out of time with more advanced knowledge to those they encounter. Is it fair to use that advantage? The time travel ones question what they can do for personal survival to balance against the consequences of their actions.

Michael decided not to play with that at all. So it must be a hard sci-fi then? No, it's not that either. Unless I missed it, he set up how the story couldn't work in an early chapter talking on the science and then immediately violated it to send a message in a bottle to start the novel. It's like he wanted to talk about old castles and thought "they won't notice".

I found it very strange, like something he had been playing with and decided to get out of the way. Same for Dean Koontz with "Ashley Bell" which I won't bore anyone with the specifics of since it's really not worth it. The good news is there are some really talented indie authors getting their books published now through Amazon, personal publishing, other ways.

Sad news for classic sci-fi readers, Jerry Pournelle died this past Friday. I've enjoyed his books, I've enjoyed his stories and writings beyond them. Rest well, with many thanks

I just started Kushiel's Chosen. It's book 2 of the Kushiel's legacy by Jacqueline Carey.

It's about a courtesan who is trained as a spy, and she gets tangled up in a plot that causes the entire country to go to war. She's a masochist, and the sex scenes don't go into too much detail. But the first book had me hooked, and I'm hoping this second will be the same.

Just finished "What The Hell Did I Just Read" by David (Jason Pargin) Wong, third book in the "John Dies at The End" Trilogy. It was excellent, not many books out there that have a sulfuric flaming dildo cannon in them.

If you haven't read Wong's books, let me put it this way. It's basically like punk rock H.P. Lovecraft on crack. In a good way.

And if your mind needs a thoroughly good fucking, read House Of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. But I imagine if that book wanted you to read it, it would have found you by now.

I'm currently reading The Bus Driver Who Wanted to Be God (and other stories) Etgar Keret. It's a fairly short anthology, but it's taking me a while considering Keret knows how to make a person feel emotions that they didn't know existed. Despite that, I definitely suggest reading.

How To Win Friends and Influence People, and per Nikki Eliot's recommendation, The 25 Most Common Sales Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
by Stephan Schiffman

Also been trying to read one of those collected Lovecraft anthologies for like 3 years running...the intro is good, read that several times by now...

Reactions: lil_purrmaiden
Status
Not open for further replies.