AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Devilman Crybaby

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I could describe this series in one word, I would choose "human." The voice acting is superb. The soundtrack is an incredibly evocative mix of synthwave and perhaps a tad of 80s revival, never obtrusive and always enhancing the storyline. The animation is surreal and whole project is violent, disturbing, and beautiful.

Who else has seen it? I spread it out over a few days and watched the last three episodes last night. I'm still reeling. I keep trying to write a critical analysis but I think most of the points worth making about the series have been made by far more eloquent writers. So let's chat!

i absolutely fell in total adoration for this adaptation. as a huge fan of the original devilman manga series, i was caught in a trance the instant i watched devilman: crybaby. it's very well done. i recommend it to anyone who is interested in getting into the series and/or is a fan of the original.

Reactions: Vera
It's fine. I had fun watching it when I watched it, but I do think the hype is far greater than the end product earns.

RebelTaxi's take on it aligns pretty well with what I think.

Pan's right; Akira & Ryo's relationship makes the least sense in Crybaby than in any other incarnation of the story, and I found that to be pretty jarring, considering who each character is. Ryo is such a cartoon villain in Crybaby. I don't know if the idea was that Akira was so into his own shit after the first episode that he didn't notice the silly levels of evil Ryo is getting into, but if that's the case, it didn't work for me.

The biggest disappointment to me was the horror aspect, though. The first episode set a tone that it didn't maintain, and didn't pick back up until the last couple of episodes. In the middle of the series, the demons were pure comedy. The only time they really didn't feel like Loony Tunes and actually felt horrifying was in the first episode. That change in tone really brought me out the story. I guess I've really been spoiled by the incredible Japanese body- and demon-horror that has been produced in the last few decades. After the dance club scene in the first episode, I was expecting Urotsukidoji, but instead what I got was Digimon.

On the other hand, there are a few gut punches that landed so hard, I still feel them. And I actually really liked how the final two episodes were so chaotic, it was hard to make sense of them. Considering the narrative, all that insanity felt poignant.

Also, giving Miki an arc that sets her up as a paragon of human good was such a strong decision. It was subtle and complex, especially how it wove the concept of the "idol" and the social cues of contemporary communication into it. I thought it was really well executed, and made her role in the narrative thematically significant. Honestly, I thought Miki was the best part of Crybaby, and there's absolutely no way the same thing could be said for her part in any other version of Devilman.

• Helpful!
Reactions: StacySweet and Vera
Im still processing how I feel about it. Loved the music. The devilman characters running was fucking hilarious. Some of the characters didnt seen very well developed. Or it could be because I havent watched other devilman anime or read the mangas. I knew it wasnt going to be happy fucking fun time but damn those last episodes and what they did to miki. Kinda had me devastated. Again, it could be because I had no familarity with devilman prior so I just went along for the ride.

I appreciated the unique qualities of the animation style. The muted pastels, and bright neon green and red. The raw and fluid nature of the animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.