AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

All In One Desktop Recs?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JigglesJane

Cam Model
Jan 20, 2019
City of Dis, Hell (6th Circle)
Streamate Username
Penelope_Dreadful
Hello ACF!

I was wondering if any of you, models and members alike, could reccomend an all in one desktop?

I've been using the same Samsung laptop since 2011. So yes, it is DEFINITELY time to upgrade.

I've been considering moving on to a desktop setup for a while, but I am also a huge fan of saving space. I don't intend on playing games or the like, simply camming and writing and filing my taxes. So I thought an all in one set up might ne more ideal.

I'm looking at a price range between 500 and 1200 USD. Built in cam isn't necessary, since an external camera is much more ideal for models anyhow.

I have no idea what is "good" and "bad" as far as comouters go any longer. Are Dells crap? Is HP decent again? Does Toshiba still even exist?

Any and all input is welcome!

I'm not that familiar with all in one's, as it's kind of a niche machine. Kind of like a laptop, you're going to pay for the special configurations, and may well be limited on how much you can add to it in terms of more memory, limited number of USB ports, etc.

Generally, when it comes to computers, buy the best specs (CPU and memory) that fits your budget and has a decent graphics chip (Nvidia typically). Having a flash hard drive will help offset performance of lower chips too

As to brands, Dell, ASUS, MSI, HP and Lenovo are usually good. Though, some of the low end consumer models are junk. Toshiba still exists I think. But, haven't looked for years since I've had ASUS and Dells for the past 7 years or so.

I'm not saying if these are good or bad for cam modeling,
Just for comparison sake.

HP ProOne 600 G4 21.5-inch Touch All-in-One Business PC
$1,014.00
  • 21.5" Display (with Touch)
  • Windows 10 Pro 64
  • 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 processor
  • 8 GB memory
  • 1 TB HDD storage

HP Pavilion 590qe Desktop + HP 27" Curved Display Bundle
  • 27" Display
  • Windows 10 Home 64
  • 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor
  • Intel® UHD Graphics 630
  • 12 GB memory
  • 1 TB HDD storage
  • 16 GB Intel® Optane™ Memory for storage acceleration
  • DVD-Writer

For less money your getting a larger" display, a better CPU, more ram and Optane.

My bf is a huge computer nerd (he has a crazy PC build and also helped me build my own) and he despises Dell and HP. I'm not sure if its truly warranted or if they're just too paltry for his hardcore gaming needs XD but he knows what he's talking about when it comes to tech. He recommends Asus a lot.

I'm just going to throw this out there- building a PC is not difficult at all and much cheaper for how much power you can get. Newegg.com (highly recommend that site) even has parts bundles. All you need to really do is do a little youtube research about building one, grab a screwdriver, and you're ready! I built my PC for $1,000 and this thing is a beast.

If building your own is not even on the list of possibilities then I still recommend Newegg. You can find some great prebuilt desktops.

Sorry if none of this was helpful! Hope you find something good. :h:

Reactions: JigglesJane
Hello ACF!

I was wondering if any of you, models and members alike, could reccomend an all in one desktop?

I've been using the same Samsung laptop since 2011. So yes, it is DEFINITELY time to upgrade.

I've been considering moving on to a desktop setup for a while, but I am also a huge fan of saving space. I don't intend on playing games or the like, simply camming and writing and filing my taxes. So I thought an all in one set up might ne more ideal.

I'm looking at a price range between 500 and 1200 USD. Built in cam isn't necessary, since an external camera is much more ideal for models anyhow.

I have no idea what is "good" and "bad" as far as comouters go any longer. Are Dells crap? Is HP decent again? Does Toshiba still even exist?

Any and all input is welcome!

Generally you want to avoid All-in-one desktops for 4 main reasons
1. Monitor or CPU failure are tied together.
2. Poor heat management in design causes reason #1 more than it should
3. Usually built with a bottleneck in design (high even processors crippled by no SSD, or not being built with the latest speed USB or bluetooth/wifi) In general all-in-one are built around budgets rather than performance so be aware of that.
4. Most of them aren't even built by the manufacturer themselves. A lot of all-in-one are built by the same OEM in china and the brand sticker is slapped on it. Even the big four(dell, hp, lenovo, acer) sometimes won't make their own all-in-ones and use the OEM. The market for them is usually too niche for them to spend money on their own products of this type.

I recommend if space is still an issue just buy another laptop rather than get a all-in-one. If you have the room getting a traditional desktop will also be more worthwhile. There are mounts and ways to make a standard PC work in a space saving environment. Right now HP has the better model line for support and specs. Dell has been restructuring for the last two years and isn't really back to form. I generally don't like Acers and Lenovo but they occasionally have some experimental designs that work. The nice part about Lenovo and Acer is Best Buys double as their warranty center so you don't have to send them away if there's a hardware issue.

• Helpful!
Even if you're not going to be gaming on it, gaming computers make for GREAT camming computers. Especially if you're using OBS or another encoder to cam, you want something that can easily handle it.

As for Toshiba, yes, it still exists, and they are TOUGH. I'm still camming on my 2013 Toshiba Satellite, and I can't even tell you how many drops and spills it's been through, that thing is still chugging.

I have no experience with all-in-ones. My current setup is a laptop with a monitor plugged in so I can have two screens. I eventually want to get a desktop, but I'm good for now.

• Helpful!
just wanted to say... wow my ADD brain. somehow i missed the whole 'all in one' part until just now even though it's in the title and everything?! sorry about that. welllll anyway good luck with finding what you want!

Another question- anyone have experience with these new fandangled micro computers?

I don't know that there is one that would suit my needs but they popped up in my search for "space saving PC set up" and now I am intrigued.

Another question- anyone have experience with these new fandangled micro computers?

I don't know that there is one that would suit my needs but they popped up in my search for "space saving PC set up" and now I am intrigued.

They are great for some things but I haven't seen one that wasn't using a tablet processor which would be useful for cam work. The purpose of the computer is for encoding power. That's either from multi-core CPU or video cards that have hardware encoding support (nvidia cards using OBS for example). Which hardware encoding (video card method) is new and gaining ground quickly you still get better results using software(x264 encoding). If your computer does not have proper encoding power even with a very good webcam your stream will come out blurring and pixilated depending on the bitrate and encoding speed.

But you answer the question I have an arcade machine emulator that runs amazing on a computer the size of the flash drive. I used this for the base of it.

They are great for some things but I haven't seen one that wasn't using a tablet processor which would be useful for cam work. The purpose of the computer is for encoding power. That's either from multi-core CPU or video cards that have hardware encoding support (nvidia cards using OBS for example). Which hardware encoding (video card method) is new and gaining ground quickly you still get better results using software(x264 encoding). If your computer does not have proper encoding power even with a very good webcam your stream will come out blurring and pixilated depending on the bitrate and encoding speed.

But you answer the question I have an arcade machine emulator that runs amazing on a computer the size of the flash drive. I used this for the base of it.

Those computer sticks are insane! What is it you do with yours?

The iNTEL NUCs are quite good - very few compromises there and top notch reliability. From there - HP has several office models, I'm sure other do too. Cheaper yet Chinese brands (not Lenovo, Cenovo) where things get more interesting - if your version of computer games is fixing your computer with a soldering iron.

I'm not into all in ones built into the screen, but micro computers - including the Mac Mini - sure, lot of capability in a small package. Just up to you if it's worth paying for the space saving.

Status
Not open for further replies.