AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Any 'old-school' gamers?

• Thread starter Deleted member 43650
  • Start date
  • ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 43650

MS-DOS (lol), old-school RPGs, even table-toppers (D&D, Rifts, Warhammer, Shadowrun, et al) fans?

I do lots of emulation of old games on my computer. Lately, I've been playing DOOM (for, like, the 1000th time), Fallout 1+2, and Final Fantasy IV. What about you guys?

Yep, there's a few people who play classic games. I just installed the original Diablo, Starcraft, WC3 on my travel laptop. Used to play a lot of AD&D back in the day (I started playing in very early 80-81).

Sadly, I don't really have time for it all anymore though. I have both an XB1 and a PS4 and the most gaming I get is a quick game of computer Uno, Mahjohng, or the like.

Yeah, I still play the old games.

I grew up with dos and saved every single file and program I had to its own folder as I got them. Today, I've used Dosbox to play some of the games. But it's a bit glitchy on some, and some it just doesn't work very well. So, I set up an Oracle VirtualBox for Dos. Then installed the real 6.22 Dos disks. Also a CD driver software I found on the internet that allows me to load virtual CD images into Oracle as a folder in Dos. Then in that I also installed Windows 3.11 for Workgroups.

A simple program I found called 'folder2iso' lets me take any of those games in subfolders I want to play and make an iso image that Oracle can then load into the Dos machine as a folder. That was actually a bit of a problem to work around initially, because dos really had none of the modern ways to work with files. So, there wasn't an easy method of actually getting files in that virtual box.

But once that was solved, then I was able to play all my old software out of the actual Dos and Windows 3 environment. Haven't run across anything that doesn't run, and it all seems to run smoothly as it did back then.

ShellExperienceHost_2018-01-13_20-30-34.png ShellExperienceHost_2018-01-13_20-33-05.png ShellExperienceHost_2018-01-13_20-31-37.png MicrosoftEdgeCP_2018-01-13_20-53-59.png

Yeah, I still play the old games.

I grew up with dos and saved every single file and program I had to its own folder as I got them. Today, I've used Dosbox to play some of the games. But it's a bit glitchy on some, and some it just doesn't work very well. So, I set up an Oracle VirtualBox for Dos. Then installed the real 6.22 Dos disks. Also a CD driver software I found on the internet that allows me to load virtual CD images into Oracle as a folder in Dos. Then in that I also installed Windows 3.11 for Workgroups.

A simple program I found called 'folder2iso' lets me take any of those games in subfolders I want to play and make an iso image that Oracle can then load into the Dos machine as a folder. That was actually a bit of a problem to work around initially, because dos really had none of the modern ways to work with files. So, there wasn't an easy method of actually getting files in that virtual box.

But once that was solved, then I was able to play all my old software out of the actual Dos and Windows 3 environment. Haven't run across anything that doesn't run, and it all seems to run smoothly as it did back then.

View attachment 74137 View attachment 74139 View attachment 74138 View attachment 74140

Yes! Now this is what I'm talking about :D I've had similar issues with Dosbox; lately I've been using a wrapper to emulate all of my DOS stuff and it's been running much, much smoother. Also mounting ISOs (like you mentioned) seems to fare pretty well. I run Mac OS (which we all know is terrible for gaming), but seeing how I only play older games, I don't really bother with partitioning my HD or anything. Wineskin, OpenEmu, and the like seem to be sufficient.

Which Star Trek game (I think?) is that! Looks very familiar

I've recently been replaying the Quest for Glory series, which was originally a MS-DOS game! Steam has the entire series as a super cheap bundle. So much nostalgia.

Sweet! I'll have to check this out, thanks! One of the cool things about the Steam platform is they've been releasing TONS of older games (namely because the copyrights are expiring nowadays).

Yep, there's a few people who play classic games. I just installed the original Diablo, Starcraft, WC3 on my travel laptop. Used to play a lot of AD&D back in the day (I started playing in very early 80-81).

Sadly, I don't really have time for it all anymore though. I have both an XB1 and a PS4 and the most gaming I get is a quick game of computer Uno, Mahjohng, or the like.

You need to build more pylons, dude.

Just finished the first two Diablo games recently - I'm always pleasantly surprised/reminded by how awesome they were. And ah, do I envy you - getting a good D&D campaign going these days is next to impossible. Had a good group playing 2.0 in college for a good year or so, but since then, most campaigns I put together dissolve within a few months. I likewise don't have the leisure time plus coordinating schedules nowadays is always a debacle.

Which Star Trek game (I think?) is that! Looks very familiar

That one was made for Windows. I've got a couple others that were for dos as well.
VirtualBox_2018-01-13_22-36-37.png

Also mounting ISOs (like you mentioned) seems to fare pretty well.

What i really like about it is I went through my folder [of folders] of games and files. Pulled all the games out at once and copied into another folder to make the iso. Then I have 312 games all mounted as D: drive to quickly choose from. Makes it way less hassle to get them all in at once instead of messing around with each individual game.

Sweet! I'll have to check this out, thanks! One of the cool things about the Steam platform is they've been releasing TONS of older games (namely because the copyrights are expiring nowadays).
If you want a platform for buying old games you should check out gog.com they have a lot and they make sure they run on newer systems which Steam can be a bit bad about. Gog is running a sale right now so you can find pretty great deals for a lot of old games.

You need to build more pylons, dude.

Just finished the first two Diablo games recently - I'm always pleasantly surprised/reminded by how awesome they were. And ah, do I envy you - getting a good D&D campaign going these days is next to impossible. Had a good group playing 2.0 in college for a good year or so, but since then, most campaigns I put together dissolve within a few months. I likewise don't have the leisure time plus coordinating schedules nowadays is always a debacle.

I used to really like Starcraft. But, kind of lost its appeal for a while. But, it's a fun game to play. Used to really enjoy the old "Command & Conquer" series as well. But, don't have those images anymore. I still have my saved characters from over the years from Diablo, so it's fun pulling them out and hitting up the dungeons and hell. Never played D2, Blizzard pissed me off when they kept delaying the game.

I do miss playing D&D as well. I started playing when I was around 9 or 10, and played all through high school every weekend with friends and we'd make weekend long events any time we could. Then, met a friend of mine who changed our gaming forever. Took things to a whole new level, and never went back. We played a hybrid of AD&D 2E, some 1E mixed because we liked the rules better, and bits and pieces from other systems. From start to finish, my primary gaming group lasted about 20 years before we just couldn't get the time to devote to it. We stuck with 2E over all the years because we didn't care for the newer systems. We knew the rules, we all agreed on them, and there was no arguments on what the new rulebooks said.

I'll second DJ_Pioneer's recommendation of gog.com. The DOS wrapper they use is pretty much bug free and the list of titles they have is amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.