AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Are scams increasing or am I unlucky?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazingtimesarecoming

Banhammered
Oct 16, 2022
Cardiff, Wales
Hi ladies & gents

Has anyone noticed an increase in more scams going on? I've noticed on two sites I frequent that there's been a general increase. I've reported any that have targeted me to the relevant sites but interested if anyone else has experienced the same or am i generally unlucky!

To clarify I'm not really on about spam bots or "love traps" which probably have increased but more in the way of a small number of models and knights being unscrupulous.

Ive experienced more in the way of asking for off-site payments & sob stories reasoning. Models asking for information which could cause a ban. Knights holding chat to ransom aka "no public chatting unless you tip X amount". I've also read a case of users being banned from rooms after spending tokens by knights and then the model asking for tokens to allow them to return.

To me this feels very scummy and it's usually models with extremely quiet rooms, out of date information or no nationality flag. Same with knights they're either bots or extremely possessive who refuse to talk other than banning and extorting.

Luckily it's only a very small percentage and I've been lucky enough to find some excellent models and knights who are very welcoming and encouraging. Who are grateful for whatever you tip and thank you for doing so.

Would like to hear anyone else's opinion on if these are scams, have fallen victim to the same or if it's just the bad 1%. I can understand with the economy being quite bad that models (and everyone) are pushing to earn abit more but hopefully it doesn't attract to many more scams.

I have not experienced these. But anymore I don't DM too much with models so I don't hear any sob stories, and I don't usually public chat - I just tip from the menu - so I'm not a very good target for these.

And this sounds like an absolutely terrible scam:
I've also read a case of users being banned from rooms after spending tokens by knights and then the model asking for tokens to allow them to return.
There are thousands of models out there. Why would you pay to return to a room where you were treated like this and not just go to another room? Is this actually making them any money?

While I like to public chat as it's always enjoyable to banter with models/users it can be frustrating for all when scammers are always lurking.

And this sounds like an absolutely terrible scam
I agree, luckily I haven't fallen foul of any scams but I could see someone getting "attached" to a model then when the tokens begin to dry up this is where that scam could hit.

I'm sure there's more elaborate ones about but fortunately alot of these are half baked or desperation. Always handy to bring attention to them just incase.

how not to get scammed- a tutorial

-do not do anything offsite. STAY ON THE PLATFORM.
-do not engage after you are fed some sob story.
-if a knight/mod is toxic, leave.
-if you get banned after tipping and not getting what was agreed to, contact support. depending on the circumstance, you may get a refunded.
-avoid studio models (im not saying all studio models are scammy, but its a common practice to exploit/manipulate their audience)

-if you get banned after tipping and not getting what was agreed to, contact support. depending on the circumstance, you may get a refunded.
-avoid studio models (im not saying all studio models are scammy, but its a common practice to exploit/manipulate their audience)
^This is great advice.
If I could make one comment though, it would be on the last point.
Having frequented some great models who work for studios, perhaps be wary and cautious until trust is established, rather than outright avoid studio models.

Reactions: AudriTwo

So... Stay away from Ehotlovea 's room? 🤣
(those who know her will get it)

You sound like one of the users that has been pestering me about being muted the second he enters my room every time and also being muted after I finished a show by my Knights, calling them scammers and dodgy, telling me my room is dead because my Knights are obsessed with me and secretly mute members so no one can talk, what kind of scam am i running -muting people even though they tip and perhaps will demand tokens to be allowed to talk again and looking at my tip history for last month it's no wonder I earn next to nothing, that I should drop my Knights and watch other models to be sucessful ( I bet there was a "i will be your knight and improve your room and traffic I promise I'm different than the dodgy ones you had" kinda deal behind that if I went and agreed) and how my profile info is out of date since I don't stream by the schedule posted there and how can I just not work since this is my full time gig (boo, some people save money, crazy huh)

If it doesn't feel right, just move on to the next room. Simple as that. No need to ask us or pester models/members about it. Click the next button and enjoy a room you feel comfortable in.

I don't understand why there needs to be a discussion about it. I think scams have been very very widely covered in all the other scam threads already. Why bring up another one us just beyond me. Attention seeking? Validation ? Or maybe I'm just running out of patience with the members here.

Has anyone noticed an increase in more scams going on? I've noticed on two sites I frequent that there's been a general increase. I've reported any that have targeted me to the relevant sites but interested if anyone else has experienced the same or am i generally unlucky!
I do not visit a lot of different rooms so I cannot speak to whether there is an increase or not. But I am unsure if I would call any of what you have described as "scams" some seem to be business practices of dubious value to the models if they are occurring as you describe, but not scams.

Ive experienced more in the way of asking for off-site payments & sob stories reasoning.
Outright requests for off-site payments should be ignored and reported to the site.

Knights holding chat to ransom aka "no public chatting unless you tip X amount". I've also read a case of users being banned from rooms after spending tokens by knights and then the model asking for tokens to allow them to return.
To me it seems to be a rather self defeating way of conducting business, but hey, the model sets their rules, if you do not like them move to another room. If I had been tipping in a room and was muted or banned for no reason, I would just never return.

Although, tipping should not preclude a user from being muted / banned if they also act like a dick.

To me this feels very scummy and it's usually models with extremely quiet rooms, out of date information or no nationality flag.
No nationality flag? Lots of models (on Stripchat at least) do not have a nationality flag. It is not a pre-requisite. Why should a model be obliged to tell where they are from?

Same with knights they're either bots or extremely possessive who refuse to talk other than banning and extorting.
Hmm, "knights" implies that you are talking about Stripchat, if so, Stripchat does not support the use of "bots" so you might have some misplaced concern there.

Luckily it's only a very small percentage and I've been lucky enough to find some excellent models and knights who are very welcoming and encouraging. Who are grateful for whatever you tip and thank you for doing so.
It seems to me that you have discovered the nature of camsites. Some rooms are great some are not. And what one user finds great another would not. For example: occasionally in my friend's room, a user (often grey but not always) will out of nowhere (no tips, no chat) simply say that her room is boring. She is a fun, happy, chatty model, and whilst her shows are very sexy, she is not explicit in public chat, and often is clothed, (but also often naked) it seems to me that for some guys, "boring" means: not naked with every orifice stuffed with a toy.

If a room and a model is not a good "fit" simply try another one.

So I guess all this is a very long and wordy way (I know, I know, so sue me ;) ) to answer your question with: "No, I have not seen an increase of "scams", not that I see what you describe as scams anyway"

Oh, and I think what @AudriTwo said was quite useful advice, although I also agree with @rockin_rod in that studio models do not need to be avoided, but some caution should be practiced before committing huge funds (but I suggest that for ANY new model one visits).

Reactions: inertvolcano
Thanks for some great discussion! I believe @AudriTwo post is very good. Should be there on every site to help people avoid scammers.

Agreed! I've learnt that quite quickly. While we all know why we visit cam sites, it's frustrating when what could be a good exchange is ruined by such people. I stress the huge majority of models/knights are really good but it can be a bummer when you come on to have a good time and end up dealing with negativity.

Having frequented some great models who work for studios, perhaps be wary and cautious until trust is established, rather than outright avoid studio models.
I agree visited a few studio models and alot of them are great! Of course there is a different kind of pressure working for a studio but many are kind human beings who don't have to resort to questionable behaviour to earn tokens.

But I am unsure if I would call any of what you have described as "scams" some seem to be business practices of dubious value to the models if they are occurring as you describe, but not scams.
I sort of agree with whether to call them scams or not. Yeah some models are shooting themselves in the foot doing this so to speak but that's why I've noticed the rooms this happens in are quite quiet. Either way it's a poor attempt at trying to extort money/tokens.

Why should a model be obliged to tell where they are from?
They shouldn't! I just don't see a reason to hide your nationality as I might be joining a room who may not understand language or customs. Last thing I want is to cause offensive!

"No, I have not seen an increase of "scams", not that I see what you describe as scams anyway"
@Ozzie_ You do make some great points Ozzie and I agree if a room seems off then I leave. It's good to know you and others aren't experiencing too much in the way of scams. I guess I am unlucky! But it's good to highlight so people can be aware!

I don't understand why there needs to be a discussion about it. I think scams have been very very widely covered in all the other scam threads already. Why bring up another one us just beyond me. Attention seeking? Validation ? Or maybe I'm just running out of patience with the members here.
@Lexi_Summers To your whole post I'm sorry you've had stuff like that to deal with. Something must of triggered them or your just as unlucky as me! I'm not sure why I got lumped into "sounding" like that user when I'm just looking for discussion with what I've experienced and recently read about.

I massively disagree with the above quote. This is a forum and discussion is kind of the point especially highlighting potentially unscrupulous scams. I wanted to hear people's general opinions on what's happening recently especially as with people having less money to spend on tokens if generally there's an uptick in scams. I'm not sure what I did to attract your ire but I'm just looking for constructive discussion instead of accusations and rudeness. If discussion isn't for you then perhaps stay of forums?

I just don't see a reason to hide your nationality as I might be joining a room who may not understand language or customs.
You just gave me a reason to hide my nationality, so I will start doing it from now. I don't want English speaking members to avoid my room because I'm not from an English speaking country.

Also, for many models it's a safety thing - not giving any potentially identifying information.

They shouldn't! I just don't see a reason to hide your nationality as I might be joining a room who may not understand language or customs. Last thing I want is to cause offensive!
@mika_kedi gave the most common reason. Unfortunately there are many toxic and dangerous guys on cam sites.

Also, I have seen models from some countries here speak of how, generally, they find guys from their own country to be bad tippers or rude or other unsavoury traits, so naturally they do not want to advertise their location and so become an online magnet for these idiot users.

As for language etc, well, I expect most models who welcome users who are not from their own language group use translators for interactions. Sure misunderstandings can happen (It still happens with me and my friend whom I have visited for many years!) be cautious.

Also (On SC), just look for appropriate language tags and visit as you feel comfortable.

I haven’t seen anything like this on SC but I’d just report anything suspicious and move on - let the powers that be handle it.

You just gave me a reason to hide my nationality, so I will start doing it from now. I don't want English speaking members to avoid my room because I'm not from an English speaking country.
I apologise if I caused any offensive. I should of clarified that I don't avoid rooms because their flag but more towards let's say if someone was in the UK section without a flag and was speaking russian only, with no understanding of English. It happens rarely but if they had a Russian flag in the UK section then I know to expect a different language.

I apologise for wording my previous wrong as I can see it now sounds sort of offensive to non English speaking people.

@mika_kedi gave the most common reason. Unfortunately there are many toxic and dangerous guys on cam sites.

Also, I have seen models from some countries here speak of how, generally, they find guys from their own country to be bad tippers or rude or other unsavoury traits, so naturally they do not want to advertise their location and so become an online magnet for these idiot users
I understand now for safety reasons too. While I'm not sure while guys treat models from their own country poorly, it seems a shame that models have to hide that when you would expect their flag would be a big attraction for users in their country.

Hopefully it's not too common occurrence for everyone!

I haven’t seen anything like this on SC but I’d just report anything suspicious and move on - let the powers that be handle it.
Good to hear and yes have done if I'm concerned. Luckily support have been quite helpful in informing me they would investigate and take action if necessary. Happy they take scams seriously.

I apologise if I caused any offensive.
No need to apologise. I didn't get offended, I simply learned about a new reason why it might be worth it to hide my country flag. I'll try it and see how it goes.

This industry has grown rapidly, I think the portion of performers who are doing fair business remains the same.

would be a big attraction for users
The thing about that is, more viewers does not instantly mean more money. If I attract more viewers who in majority want to chat me up about my locale and beg for a date, I won't have any time to make money because I'll be too busy banning dingdongs left and right. It's invasive and takes away from my ability to do my job. But I'm someone who prefers to keep things impersonal on cam.

I have not experienced these. But anymore I don't DM too much with models so I don't hear any sob stories, and I don't usually public chat - I just tip from the menu - so I'm not a very good target for these.

And this sounds like an absolutely terrible scam:

There are thousands of models out there. Why would you pay to return to a room where you were treated like this and not just go to another room? Is this actually making them any money?
That is a very old holdover from the early days of Chaturbate when there were only 4 pages of models to choose from, surprised to see someone is attempting to beat that dead horse.

Also, for many models it's a safety thing - not giving any potentially identifying information.
So much this! Members promptly assume you don't speak English or you get customers from your country of origin where the currency won't let them tip without going bankrupt, and those scare the actual customers away.

I hide my country on every site that allows me to.

Status
Not open for further replies.