AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Back to a vanilla job help with resume please :(

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2015
Hello ladies! I know I no longer cam anymore but you all are sooooo helpful and I have to ask.
How do I put 'cam model' on a resume for a vanilla job? Also, at an interview if I do state something like I was an independent contractor for a business online and they ask what did you sell or do? How would I answer that?
I cammed for about 2 years and that was the last time I have worked a vanilla job was in 2013.
Due to personal reasons I cannot cam again, so please anything helps. Thanks so much!! :h:

Don't do it. Seriously. Do not put it on your resume.

While some companies may not have a policy against hiring adult workers many individuals have a personal bias.

Embellishing and saying you were an online marketer or contractor or something may be true, but it does open you up to questions and potential lies. Any misrepresentation or lies on a resume or interview is fraud and in most companies grounds for dismissal if discovered. One of the problems with embellishing this way is there is no reference they can call. No happy customer you did contract work for.

This is exactly the reason if one isn't doing sex work forever then one should hold a vanilla job part time or take a class or something to explain a gap in work history. Personally I have a gap for a few years where I was only adult working for money. My gap is explained that I was a housewife and spent time volunteering and I throw my volunteer experiences on there because I was doing volunteer work a lot. Currently I am a student so that fills in the gap. But also volunteering. I also had an etsy where I ran a more acceptable vanilla shop and I can put that in if so needed. But yeah. Point is take a gap in your work history if you can't put something other than camming in. But. Even that's going to need to be explained. Whether it's stay at home significant other, travelling the world on some inheritance dollars you received, school, taking care of a sick person, children, etsy whatevs. Just. Not. Camming.

I don't mean to sound discouraging but realistically one of the draw backs of camming is that potential resume gap. I wish you all the best luck in finding vanilla work!

Don't do it. Seriously. Do not put it on your resume.

While some companies may not have a policy against hiring adult workers many individuals have a personal bias.

Embellishing and saying you were an online marketer or contractor or something may be true, but it does open you up to questions and potential lies. Any misrepresentation or lies on a resume or interview is fraud and in most companies grounds for dismissal if discovered. One of the problems with embellishing this way is there is no reference they can call. No happy customer you did contract work for.

This is exactly the reason if one isn't doing sex work forever then one should hold a vanilla job part time or take a class or something to explain a gap in work history. Personally I have a gap for a few years where I was only adult working for money. My gap is explained that I was a housewife and spent time volunteering and I throw my volunteer experiences on there because I was doing volunteer work a lot. Currently I am a student so that fills in the gap. But also volunteering. I also had an etsy where I ran a more acceptable vanilla shop and I can put that in if so needed. But yeah. Point is take a gap in your work history if you can't put something other than camming in. But. Even that's going to need to be explained. Whether it's stay at home significant other, travelling the world on some inheritance dollars you received, school, taking care of a sick person, children, etsy whatevs. Just. Not. Camming.

I don't mean to sound discouraging but realistically one of the draw backs of camming is that potential resume gap. I wish you all the best luck in finding vanilla work!

Thank you, makes sense. I appreciate the honesty! :)

I'm a co-owner of a small manufacturing company and I say if your able you just put it on the resume and own it. I personally value the honesty and if you articulate your duties as a cam model well I don't see a lot of issue. In a job interview if the work experience is not directly related to my business I'm looking for how the potential employee handles themselves and their communication skills. For sure you will be memorable because it's not the average food service, medical billing, customer service, telemarketing fluff you see on a lot of resumes.

Talk about how you how you had to keep a steady schedule to maintain a solid customer base. How you maintained your product by a regime of diet and exercise. How you taught yourself guerrilla marketing, social media marketing, SEO, Google analytical, web design, photography, video editing, hash tags, cross promotions. You ran your operation like a real business with a business plan, quarterly projections, and market analysis. These are real skills that are transferable to their workplace. You are a self starter, self motivator, complete tasks on a deadline, focus under pressure and adversity. Then tell them that chapter in your life is coming to a close, everything in life is a stepping stone, and your the right person for their position!

I say own it and present your past career in the best light possible. You worked at home, made decent money, learned a lot of valuable skills, and got to spend more time with your family and loved ones. There is nothing shameful in that unless you make it shameful.

Dress nice, solid eye contact, smile, speak intelligently with passion and conviction. Just the fact they will remember you will be a big advantage over anyone else that doesn't have direct job experience. Be memorable, stand out from the crowd. If the interviewer has a negative first impression you have the opportunity to change it. If you can't change it either is not the right job for you, or not a job you would want anyway.

Never every apologize for your life. You took a different path to where you are today. Those that judge unfairly are usually the ones too cowardly to make their own path and not worth partnering with.

Go get them woman!

I'm a co-owner of a small manufacturing company and I say if your able you just put it on the resume and own it. I personally value the honesty and if you articulate your duties as a cam model well I don't see a lot of issue. In a job interview if the work experience is not directly related to my business I'm looking for how the potential employee handles themselves and their communication skills. For sure you will be memorable because it's not the average food service, medical billing, customer service, telemarketing fluff you see on a lot of resumes.

Talk about how you how you had to keep a steady schedule to maintain a solid customer base. How you maintained your product by a regime of diet and exercise. How you taught yourself guerrilla marketing, social media marketing, SEO, Google analytical, web design, photography, video editing, hash tags, cross promotions. You ran your operation like a real business with a business plan, quarterly projections, and market analysis. These are real skills that are transferable to their workplace. You are a self starter, self motivator, complete tasks on a deadline, focus under pressure and adversity. Then tell them that chapter in your life is coming to a close, everything in life is a stepping stone, and your the right person for their position!

I say own it and present your past career in the best light possible. You worked at home, made decent money, learned a lot of valuable skills, and got to spend more time with your family and loved ones. There is nothing shameful in that unless you make it shameful.

Dress nice, solid eye contact, smile, speak intelligently with passion and conviction. Just the fact they will remember you will be a big advantage over anyone else that doesn't have direct job experience. Be memorable, stand out from the crowd. If the interviewer has a negative first impression you have the opportunity to change it. If you can't change it either is not the right job for you, or not a job you would want anyway.

Never every apologize for your life. You took a different path to where you are today. Those that judge unfairly are usually the ones too cowardly to make their own path and not worth partnering with.

Go get them woman!
6c5d8208dee697c4ae561420eddd168339363d5d915bbaf5a526614fab1f6412.jpg

I can tell you that LiveJasmin is now hiring for 18 positions (just opened up today). I know that nobody here is the biggest fan of LJ, but just throwing it out there. There's employment opportunities within the industry. Probably only time you can actually put camming on a resume.

Reactions: EmiliaSong

Go get them woman!

PLEASE do not listen to this guy!! do not put it on a resume. Companies WILL judge you and will not hire you.

PLEASE do not listen to this guy!! do not put it on a resume. Companies WILL judge you and will not hire you.

And you risk being outed by anyone who sees your resume. It's a really terrible idea if you're trying to leave camming behind.

Go get them woman!

It'd be great if things really worked that way and people only cared about your skills and hard work and all, but we live in a world where people are very quick to judge others. A lot of people are old-fashioned (my dad thinks the whole "working from home" thing is bullshit and laziness, and believes everyone should just work 8-10 hour shifts everyday like he does), and a lot of people think that a woman taking off her clothes for money is shameful...trashy...disgusting...taking the lazy way out. Smh.

If you've ever worked at a place where there is a clique (particularly a small group of women who are friends with the female boss, and they're often huddled together when they should be working), you'd know that some of these people WILL talk. I worked at a place where this woman was humiliated by other female employees when they found out that she (and her fiance), in their free time, had a thing for hooking up with guys from Craigslist and having threesomes. People you work with do not need to know about your sex life, and do not need to know all the juicy details about all of your previous jobs.

If the sit-down interview even gets to the point where she's asked to explain her previous job(s), she could totally exclude the part about it being of a sexual nature. I've heard a lot of cam girls say they've described it as "online customer service...sales work...live chat agent...etc."

It's one thing if you're trying to get work in the adult industry, and the person asks you "Do you have any experience in the adult industry, or no?" Then by all means, yes, tell them you're a cam girl. But this is not the case for the OP. She is trying to get a vanilla job, so I absolutely would not recommend she volunteer info on being a cam girl. She is a person who should be selected for a job position based on her qualifications and all...not excluded because of a job that she had previously.

You could always say that you took time off to deal with some family tragedy or issue and it ended up taking longer than you thought and you wanted to take time off to make sure that you could come back to the working world 100% ready to commit and give your all...I've used answers like that before and normally people are actually impressed that you are all ready to be dedicated etc.

You could also say that you were privately employed to do something like writing and that your former employer wishes not to be named etc. You could also say that you took time off to find out what it really was that you wanted to do with your life so that you could be 100% sure. Happily there are quite a few things you can say that are not too incriminating and can also make you look good in certain situations.

NEVER EVER mention sex work unless you are being employed by a current/former SW or something. But otherwise, hide that shit so far away because HR reps talk and what you say at one interview can so easily travel around and you wouldn't want a target on your back.

Personally, I would second saying you were either a student or volunteer. Please do not put down your cam model experience at all. In the meantime, you could see if there are some volunteer positions or internships in your area. A short term internship or volunteering could help cover the gap in your vanilla work history. :cat:

I maintained freelance writing clients here and there while I was unemployed or camming for many years between full-time positions. If you have skills like writing or web design, you can fudge things and say you were doing freelance online work in a skill area that you're strong in. Answers like, personal, family, or health issues can also explain working gaps without too many questions from the interviewer (but don't think it won't influence their decision... they may wonder if you'll suddenly need a bunch of time some other day in the future).

I'm a big BE HONEST person but this is one of those cases where I think that's not the best idea. There's so so so much stigma attached to sex work/adult work.

It'd be great if things really worked that way and people only cared about your skills and hard work and all, but we live in a world where people are very quick to judge others. A lot of people are old-fashioned (my dad thinks the whole "working from home" thing is bullshit and laziness, and believes everyone should just work 8-10 hour shifts everyday like he does), and a lot of people think that a woman taking off her clothes for money is shameful...trashy...disgusting...taking the lazy way out. Smh.

If you've ever worked at a place where there is a clique (particularly a small group of women who are friends with the female boss, and they're often huddled together when they should be working), you'd know that some of these people WILL talk. I worked at a place where this woman was humiliated by other female employees when they found out that she (and her fiance), in their free time, had a thing for hooking up with guys from Craigslist and having threesomes. People you work with do not need to know about your sex life, and do not need to know all the juicy details about all of your previous jobs.

If the sit-down interview even gets to the point where she's asked to explain her previous job(s), she could totally exclude the part about it being of a sexual nature. I've heard a lot of cam girls say they've described it as "online customer service...sales work...live chat agent...etc."

It's one thing if you're trying to get work in the adult industry, and the person asks you "Do you have any experience in the adult industry, or no?" Then by all means, yes, tell them you're a cam girl. But this is not the case for the OP. She is trying to get a vanilla job, so I absolutely would not recommend she volunteer info on being a cam girl. She is a person who should be selected for a job position based on her qualifications and all...not excluded because of a job that she had previously.
Oh yeah that could be an issue as well! It all depends on where you work and all of that but, if the workplace is relatively casual and some of the employees are buddy buddy with the boss they very well could disclose your info to them. I'm not even sure if doing that is legal (its definitely immoral) but it could happen. I worked at a retail job where I know some of the managers were friends with employees outside of the workplace and I'm sure there was talk amongst them lol.

I agree with what everybody else is saying. I just wouldn't post it. Its so sad that people are still judgmental about sex work and that you run the risk of being discriminated against for it but, that's the reality. You could always just says that you were a stay at home girlfriend/wife/whatever. I'm not sure if that would make you look bad or not, I guess it depends on the particular employer, but I think it'd be better than being honest about the cam work lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.