AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Cam modeling while renting

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2018
Hi!

So, I’m about to start cam modeling, I’m really excited. Ive told my roommates about it and they’re all on board and I have my own room and stuff to do it in, my only issue is my landlord. She’s very sweet but not super open-minded. Ive been over the lease and I don’t think I violate the lease at all by cam modeling, but the issue is she’s come over twice now without giving us notice, and pretty soon if we don’t plan to lease the house again, she wants to start advertising the house for once our lease ends. We live in a really small town with a really big university so the renting scene is a little unique, we still have 8 months on our lease but she could start showing the house to potential tenants in as soon as two weeks. Should I talk to the landlord because I really don’t want her showing the house without warning and knocking on my door to show my room to potential tenants while I’m in the middle of a show. Is there any way I could be violating the terms of the lease? When I lived in the dorm there were specific rules against operating any type of business which you collected money. So do I need to have any special licenses or anything like that? I just want to do everything legally so we don’t get kicked out and if I can help it I’d like to stay on my landlord’s good side.

Sorry for the novel, I’m just trying to tie up all loose ends before I start!

I wouldn't mention cam modeling, but would they seriously enter your home without knocking? That's 100% illegal. Besides the invasion of privacy, you could be having sex on the couch or standing there naked out of the shower or something.

If they knock you'll just have to end the show quickly, grab a bathrobe and answer the door. Happens all the time for many reasons so it's not that uncommon.

I'd look into your state tenant laws. Most states require a 24-hour written notice be given before a landlord can enter. The exception is if there's a major repair issue and it requires immediate repair.

As to showing your place as soon as 7 months before lease end? That's pretty bad. Most places I've been at have a 60 or 90 day notice of intent to not renew the lease. Not six or seven months.

It really sounds like your landlord is trying to take advantage of college students.

Please do a search for "landlord and tenant laws" for the state you live in. There should be specific laws that protect landlord and tenant, including right to privacy, renewal notices and retaliation.

Yeah that doesn't seem right. They have to give you notice before coming through. But anyway, if it were me, I would probably talk to her about it and say I work a telecommute customer support/service job and have to have a silent environment in my workspace during my shift. Surely you can work something out.

Yeah that doesn't seem right. They have to give you notice before coming through. But anyway, if it were me, I would probably talk to her about it and say I work a telecommute customer support/service job and have to have a silent environment in my workspace during my shift. Surely you can work something out.
Do I need any type of licenses or anything to telecommute? Meaning if I say I’m remotely working as a customer service representative and need warning in case I’m talking to a client could she somehow tell me I’m not allowed to do that on her property? I read through the lease and it doesn’t say anything about it operating business activities in the house.

I wouldn't mention cam modeling, but would they seriously enter your home without knocking? That's 100% illegal. Besides the invasion of privacy, you could be having sex on the couch or standing there naked out of the shower or something.

If they knock you'll just have to end the show quickly, grab a bathrobe and answer the door. Happens all the time for many reasons so it's not that uncommon.
Will my viewers be upset or will having to suddenly get off cam with no warning be detrimental to my reputation as a model?

I'd look into your state tenant laws. Most states require a 24-hour written notice be given before a landlord can enter. The exception is if there's a major repair issue and it requires immediate repair.

As to showing your place as soon as 7 months before lease end? That's pretty bad. Most places I've been at have a 60 or 90 day notice of intent to not renew the lease. Not six or seven months.

It really sounds like your landlord is trying to take advantage of college students.

Please do a search for "landlord and tenant laws" for the state you live in. There should be specific laws that protect landlord and tenant, including right to privacy, renewal notices and retaliation.

The reason she could start showing the house now is a lot of students in my town do start looking now. It specifies in the lease she can come over between certain hours to show the house (yes, without anymore warning than a knock) and if I’m the only one home and I’m upstairs, I won’t know she’s there until she knocks at my door, whatever I hear I’d assume it was my roommates. As for trying to take advantage of college students, that is absolutely the case. We went with a private landlord because the rental companies in our town are notorious for this and we had better odds with a private landlord. I looked up my state’s laws and as far as I can tell there are no laws in my state that dictate her having to give warning. There are not statutes in place, but I do still have a right to privacy and a right to privacy and a right of occupancy, but she’s only legally obligated to adhere to the lease.

Do I need any type of licenses or anything to telecommute? Meaning if I say I’m remotely working as a customer service representative and need warning in case I’m talking to a client could she somehow tell me I’m not allowed to do that on her property? I read through the lease and it doesn’t say anything about it operating business activities in the house.
No not at all, lots of businesses have these kinds of positions, they are just like a normal office job taking calls except you do it from home. There wouldn't be any licenses or credentials involved. If your lease doesn't forbid you from working from home, you should be good!

I have told every landlord that I'm a Twitch streamer. I provided my proof of income showing I could more than afford the place, and they never asked any questions.

Damn dude, god bless for being so nice to your landlord, I would not be okay with any of that at all.

First off, she's required by law to give you 24 hours notice of entering your apartment, doing maintenance or showing it.
You're very much allowed to tell her to leave and come back in 24 hours if she doesn't give you notice.
You can make that very clear to her, especially because showing the apartment *8* entire months before you move out is kind of unreasonable.
If she protests or does it anyways, you can report her to whatever sort of rental office you have where you are. That's an infringement on your right to privacy.

And you don't need any sort of approval to be a cam model or do any other business from home. Unless you run a business that requires a commercial or safety license for the space, but you don't need that for this kind of job.
The only issue you may have is noise complaints.
So as long as you're respectful to the people around you, there really shouldn't be any issues.
If I was you I wouldn't even tell your landlord. Period.
If she asks, you can say you work on the computer, but she doesn't need any more information than that.

The only problem I've run into with landlords is they want a reference check from my work, which I obvs can't provide.
So I just tell them I'm 100% freelance and if they need income proof I can show them my bank statements.
Usually if I show up with deposit in hand and ready to sign a lease, they really couldn't care less though.

The reason she could start showing the house now is a lot of students in my town do start looking now. It specifies in the lease she can come over between certain hours to show the house (yes, without anymore warning than a knock) and if I’m the only one home and I’m upstairs, I won’t know she’s there until she knocks at my door, whatever I hear I’d assume it was my roommates. As for trying to take advantage of college students, that is absolutely the case. We went with a private landlord because the rental companies in our town are notorious for this and we had better odds with a private landlord. I looked up my state’s laws and as far as I can tell there are no laws in my state that dictate her having to give warning. There are not statutes in place, but I do still have a right to privacy and a right to privacy and a right of occupancy, but she’s only legally obligated to adhere to the lease.

I was going to suggest that you check with laws for your state. While most states do require 24 or 48-hour notice before a landlord can show a house, there are others that don't. If it is in the lease, that she can show the place unannounced then you are pretty much shit out of luck. I'd say the obvious solution is not cam during those hours she can show the place until next years lease is signed

Alternative you could try one of two approaches. Beg her to be considerate, explain that you do customer support or something like that, you don't have much control over your schedule. Ask her please to give you several hours notice before showing the place. Or the brutally honest approach, tell her that you are a webcam model and that you do sexually explicit shows, which involve lots of loud moaning, fake or real orgasms and you are concerned that she brings over prospective tenants unannounced it would be very awkward for all involved.

Reactions: Alliecat419
Damn dude, god bless for being so nice to your landlord, I would not be okay with any of that at all.

First off, she's required by law to give you 24 hours notice of entering your apartment, doing maintenance or showing it.
You're very much allowed to tell her to leave and come back in 24 hours if she doesn't give you notice.
You can make that very clear to her, especially because showing the apartment *8* entire months before you move out is kind of unreasonable.
If she protests or does it anyways, you can report her to whatever sort of rental office you have where you are. That's an infringement on your right to privacy.

And you don't need any sort of approval to be a cam model or do any other business from home. Unless you run a business that requires a commercial or safety license for the space, but you don't need that for this kind of job.
The only issue you may have is noise complaints.
So as long as you're respectful to the people around you, there really shouldn't be any issues.
If I was you I wouldn't even tell your landlord. Period.
If she asks, you can say you work on the computer, but she doesn't need any more information than that.

The only problem I've run into with landlords is they want a reference check from my work, which I obvs can't provide.
So I just tell them I'm 100% freelance and if they need income proof I can show them my bank statements.
Usually if I show up with deposit in hand and ready to sign a lease, they really couldn't care less though.
It’s only in certain states that they’re required to give notice, and unfortunately my state is not one of them. It boils down to the fact that she’s a private landlord and we’re college students that she knows can’t afford legal representation. I guess I also realized if she brings potential tenants over unexpectedly and I’m in the middle of a show, I can call her out and drive away her business. If she comes over unannounced one more time I’ll talk to her about stuff. And my roommates hate it too as they have their own activities that they conduct in our house that none of us want the landlord to know about. We can talk to her about it together.

Will my viewers be upset or will having to suddenly get off cam with no warning be detrimental to my reputation as a model?

Some will, some won't. It can be kinda of sexy/funny story, my landlord came over right in the middle of a private where I was naked and barking like a dog. But in general, if you are in the middle of countdown or worse a private and you suddenly log off with no explanation, viewers will be probably forgiving one time, less so a second time.

Reactions: Alliecat419
We can talk to her about it together.
You can try that, give her the reasoning that giving you enough notice to get the apartment clean enough, it would increase her chances of renting the place.

Or let her walk in and tell her you were in the middle of an intimate moment and make the situation so awkward she never comes over unannounced.

Regardless of laws, it's a common courtesy to announce you're going to someones house. She's probably the kind of landlord that thinks "if you need notice you're probably doing something wrong"

Can you cam more at night, when she wouldn't be coming over with prospective tenants? Even if she doesnt have to give you notice by the laws in your state, there has to be a reasonable time frame for her. I would think like a noise complaint parameter, not before 8 am and not after 9pm etc.

If the computer isnt facing the door, and someone walks in, you could always say you were having an intimate moment with a long distance partner. With it being a small town, I'd be wary to let anyone in an "authority" position know that I was camming, as you dont know who they are friends with. I grew up in a small country town, and once something "scandalous" got out, everyone knew.

Token sites will probably be tricky to log off of mid countdowm, but a site like sm is easier. I've had to rush log off during a show because someone was ringing my doorbell repeatedly (thanks, FedEx for not wanting to leave my package in the rain...), and when I got back on the person who I had the show with understanding. The FedEx guy looked confused to see me in a bathrobe, out of breath, with full hair and makeup I'm sure.

Can you cam more at night, when she wouldn't be coming over with prospective tenants? Even if she doesnt have to give you notice by the laws in your state, there has to be a reasonable time frame for her. I would think like a noise complaint parameter, not before 8 am and not after 9pm etc.

If the computer isnt facing the door, and someone walks in, you could always say you were having an intimate moment with a long distance partner. With

If the computer isnt facing the door, and someone walks in, you could always say you were having an intimate moment with a long distance partner. With it being a small town, I'd be wary to let anyone in an "authority" position know that I was camming, as you dont know who they are friends with. I grew up in a small country town, and once something "scandalous" got out, everyone knew.

Token sites will probably be tricky to log off of mid countdowm, but a site like sm is easier. I've had to rush log off during a show because someone was ringing my doorbell repeatedly (thanks, FedEx for not wanting to leave my package in the rain...), and when I got back on the person who I had the show with understanding. The FedEx guy looked confused to see me in a bathrobe, out of breath, with full hair and makeup I'm sure.

The issue is with camming more at night is I’m a full-time college student and staying up to late hours of the night will be detrimental to my classes. I think I’ll just go out of my way to make it awkward if she does come over unannounced to ensure it doesn’t happen again. If I have to step away from the show or mute my microphone temporarily would that be better? I plan to cam on Chaturbate since of all the sites I’ve been on I just feel the most comfortable there.

No not at all, lots of businesses have these kinds of positions, they are just like a normal office job taking calls except you do it from home. There wouldn't be any licenses or credentials involved. If your lease doesn't forbid you from working from home, you should be good!
More information on this: I work for a company that services people's retirement accounts, and we have a LOT of telecommuters who are taking calls. They're not allowed to have their kids at home during work hours, so if their child is home sick from school, they still have to take the day off. Their partner can't be in the residence, either, because there can't be anyone overhearing the sensitive client information they're discussing with callers. So, this would be a perfect explanation as to why you need notice: "I can't have people in the home while I'm working, so I need advance notice to know when to take my break."

Status
Not open for further replies.