AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Camgirls: Celebrity and Community (...) by Theresa Senft

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ditto.. not going to join an academic community thingy to read it and then get spammed for the next 4 years.

MrRodry said:
http://www.academia.edu/205283/Camgirls_Celebrity_and_Community_in_the_Age_of_Social_Networks

I'm not sure this got posted here (I searched and found nothing, probably this is old news at the models only area?) so I'm posting it here because I think it can be a good read to some premiums and models.

Copy and paste?

I would rather lick my own arse than link my Facebook to some random 3rd party app to read this!

but i would think it would be pretty interesting!

Reactions: PlayboyMegan
sweetiebatman said:
I would rather lick my own arse than link my Facebook to some random 3rd party app to read this!

but i would think it would be pretty interesting!

The licking or the book? :-D

There is any pop-up showing up? I got Adblock and it didn't show up to me. The only time I got asked to link something to Facebook was when I tried to download a copy of the book and when that happened I clicked at the "I don't have a Facebook account". If you don't want the spam, but the book got you interested, maybe using a disposable gmail account could help.

Sorry for any inconvenience and for flourishing this unwanted own butt licking desire.

Here is the description.

This book is a critical and ethnographic study of camgirls: women who broadcast themselves over the web for the general public while trying to cultivate a measure of celebrity in the process. The book’s over-arching question is, “What does it mean for feminists to speak about the personal as political in a networked society that encourages women to ‘represent’ through confession, celebrity, and sexual display, but punishes too much visibility with conservative censure and backlash?”

The narrative follows that of the cam girl phenomenon, beginning with the earliest experiments in personal home camming and ending with the newest forms of identity and community being articulated through social networking sites like Live Journal, YouTube,MySpace, and Facebook. It is grounded in interviews, performance analysis of events transpiring between camgirls and their viewers, and the author’s own experiences as an ersatz camgirl while conducting the research

I might download it sometime :) Thanks for posting!

There's a review here http://vcg.emitto.net/5vol/Motter.pdf

Sounds like a snoozer for anyone who's been around camsites at all. If you think in sociological terms, it's a big "no shit, Sherlock", and if you don't, then expect your eyelids to grow heavy a paragraph or two into it. There's a whole segment of society that has nothing to do but turn everything and anything into a dissertation, just to gain some kind of visibility in the academic world. Also, from the sound of it, there are no pictures of boobs, at all.

I found it very interesting. I really like the history aspect of it.

However...it really does not go past 2004ish in terms of the camming world (was published later then that tho).

I wish it went further. I am searching for more like this now. Very much enjoyed it.

It also, at least from the few pages I read so far, seems to focus more on the lifecam people as opposed to the sex work kind of camming.

Maybe it gets different later on. But, honestly, I never cared about the whole lifecam thing when it was kind of a not so big deal except to the few who were into it (and it's even less of a not so big deal now); so this book would probably end up boring me to death if that's its main focus.

UncleThursday said:
It also, at least from the few pages I read so far, seems to focus more on the lifecam people as opposed to the sex work kind of camming.

Maybe it gets different later on. But, honestly, I never cared about the whole lifecam thing when it was kind of a not so big deal except to the few who were into it (and it's even less of a not so big deal now); so this book would probably end up boring me to death if that's its main focus.

Yes

The author also does not really take a alot at camgirls outside of north america and western Europe into account at all.
She is looking at this from a very unquic angle...almost as a feminist angle...which being a university woman of 1990's and having a mother of the 1960s/70s makes sense (as she points out herself).

It really brings up a good point

How the word camgirl has changed over the last 15-20 years.

In many circles (including a huge factor of my personal life) camgirl has little to do with work/job/money at all.

When I started out in this buissness I was in many ways a life-cam. I had my cam running for 20+ hours a day. Many of my friends who I started out doing this with...are still practicing this to a lesser degree.. I would eat, smoke, drink, sleep all on cam. I would not always pay attention to the cam, because it just became a part of my room. When I left the house I left the cam on...often to go to another house where a cam would be streaming to the same website. At the time when I started I was the only female on the site willing to get on cam. I of course enjoyed this attention.

On other communities I have been a part of in the past--girls get on cam once in a while (not anymore or less then i do currently for work). They might perform sexually...but not always...but they do not consider part of there lifestyle and do not relate it from work at all..and gain no monetary value from it. These girls often consider themselves camgirls..and so do the people watching them.

I am interested to know how you ladies feel about this, if anything at all? Do you ever come across both in your online or offline world different definitions of a camgirl? And how do you feel about this?

Reactions: LadyLuna
Reactions: MrRodry
Status
Not open for further replies.