AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!
  • ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 8, 2016
Hi everyone,
I'm a new cam girl as in, have an approved account but have yet to do a show yet. I've already invested in a webcam and am excited to start camming but an issue has just came to my attention. I know society is becoming more and more accepting of sex work but I'm worried about how camming will affect future employment opportunities. I'm in school getting a degree in biology and then I plan on becoming a physician assistant. I'm not too worried about people recognizing me as there's no real proof in that. I'm worried about employers getting my 1099 form and seeing employment by MFC and Chaturbate.

I really do want to cam but not if there is a high risk of not being hired.

Any and all advice is really appreciated!!!

All the sites use a discrete company name for payments. Really, a simple Google search will be enough to get the camming site come up, in most cases.

I guess it's just a matter of how far future employers go to vet you. Hopefully someday soon employers will get their heads out their asses and realize how powerpacked most camgirl resumes are.

I'm worried about employers getting my 1099 form

That's not really something an employer will see. It is common for an employer to run a criminal background check, but camming won't show up on that.

Reactions: Booty_4U
It might not be something your employer's can find. And they may never find out.

But the possibility remains. If your future career doesn't allow for this at all don't ruin your future.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-40-years-ago/article21183669/?service=mobile

Note to self: Never become a teacher.

If this lady got sacked for erotic art films... they'd probably crucify me for the very smutty-artistic old in-out action. :D

In all seriousness, regardless of what you choose to do, the risk will always be there. Employers can't find your camming past through standard checks but there's always the possibility of 'someone' you know seeing you and outing you.

I'm divided. On the one hand, it is pretty risky, but as more and more people have their naked pictures posted online, I think the stigma will dwindle, at least among the younger generations.

Have you considered specializing in sexology or gynecology? Those would certainly be the most forgiving fields.

Reactions: Guy
If you are not comfortable living as a sex worker for the rest of your life, even after you leave the biz DO NOT START.

As it is becoming more and more common, it is also becoming more as more known. Some camgirls are teetering on household names these days and I wouldn't put your future dreams on the faith that humanity will be less judgmental and stupid some day...

Pretty much what @JoleneBrody said. The reality of sex work is simply this: You get paid a lot to do what you do, but you will forever be a pariah somewhere, to someone. The great thing though is that you can start a business off the money that sex work provides, so you never have to worry about that type of thing ever again. It's a trade-off...do you want to hustle for yourself for life? Do sex work to launch. Are you ok doing stuff for someone else? Maybe stay away from sex work.

That being said, find yourself a good DMCA company that can at least keep your recorded presence a little lower than normal, that might help you one day too.

The great thing though is that you can start a business off the money that sex work provide...

I think this is misleading. Many (maybe most?) camgirls don't make enough to pay the bills AND save a significant amount of money. Of course lots do, but it's not a given of camming, and so a lot of sex workers will likely leave this business with the stigma but without the capital to simply never work in the "real world" again.

I don't say that to be negative or rude but rather to remind new models that many camgirls are putting this out there without the guarantee of lots of income.

I think this is misleading. Many (maybe most?) camgirls don't make enough to pay the bills AND save a significant amount of money. Of course lots do, but it's not a given of camming, and so a lot of sex workers will likely leave this business with the stigma but without the capital to simply never work in the "real world" again.

I don't say that to be negative or rude but rather to remind new models that many camgirls are putting this out there without the guarantee of lots of income.

It seems me it's a pretty small minority that is financially successful. Certainly, top 250 on MFC, make enough to have a comfortable lifestyle and unless they live in high cost of living place save a significant amount of money. Top 1000 tougher but doable, especially if they branch out and offer videos on manyvids, clips4sale. and custom videos and/or skypes. But with 25,000 camgirls on MFC that top 1000 is under 5%.

But an average camgirl with camscore of 1000ish, they are making $20-$25/hour and very few camgirls seemed to be able to consistently put in more than 80-100/hours a month in cam this translates into $20,000 to $30,000 a year. More than most entry level vanilla jobs, but hardly the path to riches.

On the other hand, there seems to be a lot of camgirls that cam and have vanilla jobs or bounce between the two worlds. So maybe the stigma and risk aren't that great? IDK.

I would say that you should look into doing some freelance or remote work in the biology field. Freelance and remote vanilla employers often do not care as much as typical vanilla employers about what you did for work.For example, you could do some remote medical writing and often remote employers just want someone that was a biology major. Also, you could do some biology internships to help fill in some vanilla work gaps.

I'm in college right now for Mass media. I'm into filming, lighting ,and broadcasting so in reality camming has been great work experience for what I want to do in life. For me, I will be on the news one day and will be outed pretty fast more than likely by an old user, but hell maybe I'll get lucky like Kim K and maybe the controversy can be a blessing. lmao! Either way times are a changing. The stigma on sex workers is dwindling.

Getting found out by a future employer and fired/not hired in the first place is always a possibility. That being said, I personally wouldn't want to work for someone who thinks they can dictate what I do with my body off the clock. I absolutely despise the "I own you" mentality that seems to be gaining traction among employers nowadays and for me, it would be an automatic deal breaker.

I plan on going to medical school after I complete my BA and I don't see it really being an issue in the medical field. But you never know.

I'm glad MajesticMelody mentioned Kim K. That's a good example of a field where you might be outed quickly but it could potentially be a good thing. My plans personally are to run my own business, preferably a non-profit to help women (perhaps men too) who are surivivors of SA & DV. As SimoneGray mentioned, owning your own business means you won't have to worry about answering to someone. Or at least that is what I would like to believe. For the time being, I also work vanilla jobs that aren't corporate and don't have the means to try to dig up long-term information about me.If you're a great worker, what does a small business need to go lurking for? Win them over & hopefully if a customer or some loser tries to out you- they will pick your side over theirs. Luckily even my vanilla social media is either non-existent or very difficult to connect to my many names. I would recommend using fake names online & on phone apps at all costs, even with friends & family. Vanilla social media can get you into just as much trouble with future employers.

im just going to point out statistically due to how much college even costs woman turning to sex work of all forms are hugely on the rise. 1 million of the 6.5 million female college students in the United States are suger babies reported as of 2013 so im sure that number has only risen as college has gotten pricier. 5% of UK college students are in some sort of sex work as of this year. Yea there is always a chance and u can do some stuff like hide your face or watever but understand going into it. Sex work is more accepted and more people are doing it but there is still going to be those who will look down on it. So go into and do your best for the best outcome if thats what u want to do but prepare yourself for the worst whatever your worst may be.

Reactions: Ann_Sulu
Status
Not open for further replies.