AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Canadian Camgirls - how do I fill out EI while making a small income on cam?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2020
Treasure Island
chaturbate.com
Twitter Username
@BelleConstanze
Chaturbate Username
stanzie_belle
Hi everyone,

Im looking for other recent Canadian cam girls who are currently on EI due to the pandemic. I started Camming last month, I went on EI a few months ago and now am making some money so I need to report those earnings to the government. The first time I reported my earnings to service Canada they didn't make me fill in my employer - I just put "self-employed". However this time when I filled in the same information on EI it said I need to call them to give them more information on my self-employment. Wondering what other cam girls have done in this situation? What do you tell them is your occupation?

Sex work is illegal in Canada however sex workers themselves will not be prosecuted, only those who purchase services or make money off those selling their services. I'm just wondering if people are straight up telling EI they are a cam model... or if they are saying their a model. I don't think I'll be in any trouble but Im worried they might tell me I need to stop.. I really don't know.

Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: AllyVixen
Sex work isn't actually illegal in Canada, only the purchasing of said services is. Also I wonder if camming, at least through a cam site would fall under the current Canadian laws. Because customers on cam sites do not purchase anything from Cam models, they buy tokens from the site. If my understanding of the current laws are correct, then camming would fall under "prostitution" due to the very vague language used in the current law.

"'Prostitution' is not defined in Canadian statute law, but is based on case law which deems that three elements are necessary to establish that prostitution is taking place: (i) provision of sexual services, (ii) the indiscriminate nature of the act (soliciting rather than choosing clients), and (iii) the necessity for some form of payment."

As a cam model you aren't soliciting clients, and payment is not technically a necessity

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Nigerian prince -- I appreciate the feedback. So basically what your saying is - be upfront and it shouldn't matter since what I'm doing isn't breaking any laws in that I am not the purchaser. Im actually quite certain that prostitutes can work in Canada as well... I know in some cities they need a licence but can work, not if thats across the board - though technically no one is allowed to buy their services. It's all a bit grey and unclear I find when reading these laws. Im still a bit nervous but I think its probably best just to be upfront about webcamming.

I was really hoping to hear from someone who is in the same situation as me but I knew it was a long shot!

Thanks again

Thanks for your reply Nigerian prince -- I appreciate the feedback. So basically what your saying is - be upfront and it shouldn't matter since what I'm doing isn't breaking any laws in that I am not the purchaser. Im actually quite certain that prostitutes can work in Canada as well... I know in some cities they need a licence but can work, not if thats across the board - though technically no one is allowed to buy their services. It's all a bit grey and unclear I find when reading these laws. Im still a bit nervous but I think its probably best just to be upfront about webcamming.

I was really hoping to hear from someone who is in the same situation as me but I knew it was a long shot!

Thanks again

Well I'm not necessarily suggesting being upfront because regardless of what is legal the person on the other side potentially looking at your case could interpret things differently and have their own biasses. I guess it depends on how detailed, and what specific details they are looking for. I would categorize cam models as live streamers as to be honest camming is probably closer to streaming on twitch than it is to what has been traditionally considered sex work. And that also lines up more with the way you would fill out your tax forms

Reactions: SaffronBurke
Regardless of the work, if you're making too much, they will cut off EI. Tell them you're a content creator/independent contractor, you don't have to be super specific.

Camming is legal in Canada, you aren't breaking any laws by doing that.

Basically the CRA doesn't care as long as you accurately report your income and pay your taxes. I'd call and speak to someone from EI to see how much you can earn before they cut you off.

Hi,

Im not making enough to be off EI yet - and they are aware of that as I've reported my income. But they have asked me to call them with details of what my self-employment/means of income and will be calling me this week. I will let them know I am a streamer/broadcaster and a content creator in the entertainment industry. Hopefully they don't start asking a lot of questions :). Thanks for the advice everyone.

Reactions: Keziah
And I should say - really my working is to their benefit as well - because Im making an income now they do not pay me the full EI payment, I should only be receiving a small amount from them, (they just subsidize so you reach a "living wage" and if I start making more in coming months I'll be off EI completely - so hopefully they are just happy that I'm working!

I'm Canadian here. In Canada you don't have to file anything if you make less than $12, 000. You can just declare it as gift. Are you collecting CERB or EI by the way? If you are bringing less than $12k in income don't even bother telling the agents(if you are collecting CERB) . If you are bringing in more than that, then I'd just worry about it coming next tax season. Just pay back all the CERB you owe next year.

Reactions: AllyVixen
Status
Not open for further replies.