AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Do Canadian camgirls need a GST/HST number? help ;__;

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2014
Hi everyone

Im a Canadian camgirl and camming/selling my vids is my only income the last 4 years now.

I live in B.C Canada, and was wondering is I need to apply for a GST/HST number?

Ive never even heard of one in my life until today when I got a notice in the mail from the Canada Revenue Agency telling me that Im not registered with a GST/HST number and that I need to call them about it to get one. Im kind of freaking out, I imagine if I DO need one that ill have to owe GST/HST taxes from the 4 years now that ive been self employed?
Of course I file my regular taxes but this GST/HST one im unfamiliar with, not sure why I wasnt notified sooner about it by CRA or my tax filer?

Of course ill phone and ask tomorrow about it, but im just curious what any of you ladies have experienced with this.

Thanks

Yay Canadians! (BC here too)
As far as I've ever known, unless you're charging HST/GST (Which would be wierd) then you don't need one unless you ate making over a certain amount.
A (very) brief Google check says that "If your business has revenue in excess of $30,000 in four consecutive calendar quarters, you have to register for a GST/HST number". If you make enough to pass that line, you would have to register as a business and get a GST/HST number.

Gst hst number are only for businesses as far as I know. They aren't used for self employment. Unless you owned a large successful business and were charging clients taxes on services.

I was wondering about this too, I read somewhere that if you make over a certain amount you have to call and tell them but you still won't have to pay because camming is exempt. That could totally be misinformation though so don't take my word. Something to look into though.

As a side note, I'm a bit confused about doing taxes myself (first time) and I'm not using an accountant. Does anyone else do them on their own?

I didn't make much last year so it's not a huge worry but I'd like to get it right. Do you claim the amount you recieved in CAD before of after things like conversion fees?
Also in BC

Yes you need a GST number. You don't have to pay GST though. You will be registered as GST exempt or something like that. You should call the CRA and talk to the rulings department, explain your job, and they will allow you to not pay GST, but you still need the number.

I'm sorry I can't explain more, I did it like 5 years ago when the CRA came after me saying I owed a bunch of GST :p

I did my own taxes with TurboTax Home Business edition last year, and I was filing for my vanilla job, camming, plus one vanilla independent contract job. I found the process pretty easy. I haven't applied for a GST number and I don't think I pull in enough income to need to do so... If you're in doubt, though, might as well call the CRA as somebody above mentioned. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.