AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Do you feel the quality of horror movies has eroded or just nostalgia?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2018
Nowhere.
Twitter Username
@Stoodupontheair
Over the years I've always felt that horror really isn't up to par with the older stuff. I'm always met with I'm either "stuck in the past" or"the graphics looked faked" whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean. For instance 1984 The Thing and the entirety of John Carpenter Apocalypse Trilogy or even the basic Slashers like Friday the 13th or The Burning. I believe chances were taken in the past compared to what we see now a days, not to say there aren't any great ones around. The Hills Have Eyes remake is in my top 15 of all times and 2017 The Void is a homage to the thing(highly recommend it) and most slow burner horrors. Overall I feel the horror that gets put out in theaters has the same old formula. Is it my nostalgia or has the quality really went down?

Definitely think horror is having a Renaissance right now. I think there’s been a lot of creativity and risk taking in newer horror movies compared to the past decade or so. Also I think the Internet has helped, not just for promoting lower budget films but making it easier to access foreign ones.

I don’t think most horror movies that I’ve seen lately in theatres have been formulaic.

Reactions: Kitty1purry
Definitely think horror is having a Renaissance right now. I think there’s been a lot of creativity and risk taking in newer horror movies compared to the past decade or so. Also I think the Internet has helped, not just for promoting lower budget films but making it easier to access foreign ones.

I don’t think most horror movies that I’ve seen lately in theatres have been formulaic.
I do think the indie movement has been pretty awesome, again The Void was amazing. I do agree tho the past decared has had some great films, one of the best ones Was BoneTomahawk with Kurt Russell(dude just has a taste for great films regardless of budget doesn't he?)

Reactions: Gen
You just have to watch foreign horror movies; American Horror is honestly NOT what it used to be. I am a HUGE horror fan and believe me its America lol. There ARE exceptions to this rule: The hills have eyes (very well done), Silent Hill, The Devils Rejects, The first hostel (and maybe a few more of recent). I totally would suggest watching foreign horror especially movies like "martyr's", "high tension", "Inside" (its a french foreign film), AND if you have real balls: "A Serbian Film"

Reactions: Violet Dawn
I got turned off by most horror/slasher films years ago because I thought they really took a nosedive when it became more about blood/gore and gruesome above suspense. Add in that the average scene is only a second or two long (this is true for many film genres now), it really detracts from the movie. For me, a true horror movie is something that totally fucks with the mind by leaving certain aspect either slightly out of sight or when it does show it it's very quick. This makes the brain think through all the possibilities of shit that happens. I get bored with movies that show everything, and leave no room for the imagination to flow.

Reactions: Kitty1purry
For me, a true horror movie is something that totally fucks with the mind by leaving certain aspect either slightly out of sight or when it does show it it's very quick. This makes the brain think through all the possibilities of shit that happens. I get bored with movies that show everything, and leave no room for the imagination to flow.
Though not really a horror movie, Signs did that very well imo.

You just have to watch foreign horror movies; American Horror is honestly NOT what it used to be. I am a HUGE horror fan and believe me its America lol. There ARE exceptions to this rule: The hills have eyes (very well done), Silent Hill, The Devils Rejects, The first hostel (and maybe a few more of recent). I totally would suggest watching foreign horror especially movies like "martyr's", "high tension", "Inside" (its a french foreign film), AND if you have real balls: "A Serbian Film"
I second Bianca here. Go outside the US and you will be amazed with the content.

Though not really a horror movie, Signs did that very well imo.

Agreed, was a well done movie. Another one for me, which falls probably more to the suspense/horror side of things is 1408. While it was well before my time, I think the original "Psycho" as well as "The Twilight Zone" and "The Outer Limits" are kind of what I use as guidelines for what I prefer in movies along the lines of horror/suspense. Seeing some of the sequels to Nightmare on Elm Street really kind of pushed to gore limits to laughable levels.

I got turned off by most horror/slasher films years ago because I thought they really took a nosedive when it became more about blood/gore and gruesome above suspense. Add in that the average scene is only a second or two long (this is true for many film genres now), it really detracts from the movie. For me, a true horror movie is something that totally fucks with the mind by leaving certain aspect either slightly out of sight or when it does show it it's very quick. This makes the brain think through all the possibilities of shit that happens. I get bored with movies that show everything, and leave no room for the imagination to flow.

Well that's basically the difference between slashers and other sub-genres of horror. The whole point of a slasher is to watch someone's guts fall out while psychological horror/thrillers tend to be a lot more suspenseful and less graphic. I personally feel as though there's room for both kinds of horror.
Shutter Island did a great job of creating a feeling of dread and discomfort without the need for any blood or guts.

Definitely a lot of good horror coming out of other countries as well. Oldboy and Train to Busan are two horrors out of South Korea that are both amazing.

My taste in horror honestly can't really be trusted though, I tend to enjoy it no matter how awful it is. I don't go into a horror movie expecting a brilliant plot and great acting tbh, so my bar is pretty low.

Reactions: Dan Epstein and Gen
Well that's basically the difference between slashers and other sub-genres of horror. The whole point of a slasher is to watch someone's guts fall out while psychological horror/thrillers tend to be a lot more suspenseful and less graphic. I personally feel as though there's room for both kinds of horror.
Shutter Island did a great job of creating a feeling of dread and discomfort without the need for any blood or guts.

Definitely a lot of good horror coming out of other countries as well. Oldboy and Train to Busan are two horrors out of South Korea that are both amazing.

My taste in horror honestly can't really be trusted though, I tend to enjoy it no matter how awful it is. I don't go into a horror movie expecting a brilliant plot and great acting tbh, so my bar is pretty low.

Shutter Island was good. But, yes, you are correct there's a difference between slasher and suspense and there are places for both. I tend to find the slashers over the top, or even some of the more modern horrors to be over the top now. Not saying they have to have a great plot. But, I want more of a psychological movie than a visually graphic one.

To each our own. :)

Reactions: Gen
M. Night Shyamalan movies suck imo! His endings are usually lame and have some sort of religious agenda, which really irks me.

The Hills Have Eyes, 1st Hostel, Mad Max, The Descent, Jigsaw's diabolical death trap movies... that flick where the girl escaped her captors in the cabin and set up traps for them in the woods come to mind.

'Dressed to Kill' along with 'Silence of the Lambs' are two of my all-time creepy drama favs.

I can't think of any recent horror flicks worth recommending.

I Love horror movie but I prefer the creature flicks over slasher stuff, but ther of course are some great slasher flicks too!

One genre I’m really not into is the pervasive big hits like conjuring/grudge/other ghost demon stuff. They are too scary for me cuz I’m a wuss. I like scary that makes me laugh and jump but the whole ghost thing just genuinely creeps me too much to be fun.
And there are so many movie that seem so identical I can’t even keep em straight anymore.

The scariest scenario is having a male beer belly smashing into your face while commuting:)
You should look for the gems of a good script and timing, these are way more essential than money. The nordic Troll Hunter movie, is a great example for how to use the found footage recycle binned trick, and surprise you.

I Love horror movie but I prefer the creature flicks over slasher stuff, but ther of course are some great slasher flicks too!

One genre I’m really not into is the pervasive big hits like conjuring/grudge/other ghost demon stuff. They are too scary for me cuz I’m a wuss. I like scary that makes me laugh and jump but the whole ghost thing just genuinely creeps me too much to be fun.
And there are so many movie that seem so identical I can’t even keep em straight anymore.

Yeah, I'm not into the supernatural themed ones either. Those do creep me out a little. Of course, I remember seeing "The Exorcist" (1973 original) when I was 7. Salem's Lot, Amityville Horror and a couple of others came out about the same time as my seeing Exorcist and helped solidify my distaste for those movies. Poltergeist came out a couple of years later, and wasn't as much of a big deal by then.

While not really a scary movie, my grandma took me to see a movie "about a fish" when I was really young. Of course, it was Jaws and I was six. Want to make sure that your kid never goes into the ocean? That'll do it. :nailbiting:

Reactions: JoleneBrody
Forgot to mention the 2007 version of 'The Mist' is somewhat a classic too.

Demon spider walkers creep me out to the max.

WEEEEEEEERD! The Mist is one of my favorites!!!!!
And yay, fuck that creepy herky jerky upside down ceiling crawling shit!

My favorite horror movie of all time is Pumpkinhead! I can go on for an hour about the creature effects and how genius they were but I won’t... haha.
Sci-fi horror like predator and aliens are also tops! Aliens is probably my second favorite creature movie ever.

Reactions: corsican1
I'm just a casual horror movie fan, so I don't have the down in the trenches opinion of what the genre is doing. I personally feel at least from a casual standpoint horror movies seem to have cycles. The Slasher film popped and then it went stagnant until Scream rejuvenated it. Then stuff kind of stagnated again and then things like the Ring/SAW hit and then they spawn off to stagnation. Then you get something like Paranormal Activity or the Conjuring and then they splinter off and so forth.

I do feel Horror movies just like most genre's while there are several true timeless standouts. There are still many things that you have loved forever that hold up strictly from your nostalgia towards them. For example I to this day still hate the Blair Witch Project, but man do I love to recall the marketing campaign for it and the excitement my friends and I had to go see it.

I think that Let The Right One In, is the best vampire film of all times.

It's NOT really horror but "What we do in the shadows" is by far my fav vampire movie. If you haven't watched it do it. It's HILARIOUS with horror lmao. Its genius

Also my husband and I liked "get out" . We were SUPER disappointed with "Mother" and a few other's from last year. Nothing really stood out. We were hoping for some awesome horror this year but again being disappointed.

Reactions: Dan Epstein
I also loved The Babadook, the emotional climax of the struggling single mom added to the horror effect. Highly recommended.

You know I REALLY tried to like this but didn't. I just didn't see the hype around it. I may try it again (maybe I was having a bad week) I tried to watch it twice and got bored with it and fell asleep once lmao.

You know I REALLY tried to like this but didn't. I just didn't see the hype around it. I may try it again (maybe I was having a bad week) I tried to watch it twice and got bored with it and fell asleep once lmao.
I am a believer in not forcing ourselves when it comes to movies. I remember the year was 1991, I was 10, we snuck in the theater to watch Silence of The Lambs, and I fell asleep:)
I think that Bambi’s mom getting hunted was the first time a movie actually scared me as a kid.

• Funny!
Reactions: BiancaBaker
One of my favorites is Jacobs Ladder. Goose flesh and shoulder shudders throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.