AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

EU's new data privacy law

• Thread starter Deleted member 37064
  • Start date
  • ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, it will definitely be enforceable in the EU. Our EU partners are already scrambling to make sure they comply. One side benefit is that many of big players will be doing this globally so they don't have to maintain separate systems with separate rules.

For those not familiar, the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulations) sets rules for how companies collect, use, and share user's personal data, and in particular how users consent to and opt out of such practices. No more walls of fine print with an "I Agree" button at the bottom.

I read much of it, and I'm really hoping they do follow through with enforcement. I've fought for years to have my data scrubbed from systems, especially companies I no longer do business with.

Oh, it will definitely be enforceable in the EU. Our EU partners are already scrambling to make sure they comply. One side benefit is that many of big players will be doing this globally so they don't have to maintain separate systems with separate rules.

Many companies already comply with different regulations & standards. Allot of the time the difference between complying with a law may be a checkbox.

I would be very surprised if EU laws protect any one outside of the EU.

Many companies already comply with different regulations & standards. Allot of the time the difference between complying with a law may be a checkbox.
The GDPR is much different that a simple check box, in fact the purpose of the GDPR is to eliminate walls of text with an "I Agree" button at the bottom.
the article said:
Under GDPR, pages of fine print won’t suffice. Neither will forcing users to click yes in order to sign up.

Instead, companies must be clear and concise about their collection and use of personal data like full name, home address, location data, IP address, or the identifier that tracks web and app use on smartphones. Companies have to spell out why the data is being collected and whether it will be used to create profiles of people’s actions and habits. Moreover, consumers will gain the right to access data companies store about them, the right to correct inaccurate information, and the right to limit the use of decisions made by algorithms, among others.

I would be very surprised if EU laws protect any one outside of the EU.
The EU laws don't apply outside the EU, but California emission rules for cars don't apply outside of California yet all cars in the US comply to those standards because a) California is a huge market and can't be ignored, b) it is not worth for car companies to make different cars for different areas and rules so they just comply with the strictest set knowing those will be good everywhere.

the article said:
The law protects individuals in the 28 member countries of the European Union, even if the data is processed elsewhere. That means GDPR will apply to publishers like WIRED; banks; universities; much of the Fortune 500; the alphabet soup of ad-tech companies that track you across the web, devices, and apps; and Silicon Valley tech giants.
Though the law applies only in Europe, the companies (Google and Facebook) are making changes globally, because it’s simpler than creating different systems.

Given Facebook's handling of user's private data this might be good for all of us.

The GDPR is much different that a simple check box, in fact the purpose of the GDPR is to eliminate walls of text with an "I Agree" button at the bottom.

The EU laws don't apply outside the EU, but California emission rules for cars don't apply outside of California yet all cars in the US comply to those standards because a) California is a huge market and can't be ignored, b) it is not worth for car companies to make different cars for different areas and rules so they just comply with the strictest set knowing those will be good everywhere.

Given Facebook's handling of user's private data this might be good for all of us.

Exactly. I do have hopes. But, at the same time, I have my concerns as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.