AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

First time on Cam - A mess!

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BambiBluebell

Inactive Cam Model
Sep 3, 2017
UK
Twitter Username
@Bambi_Bluebell
Tumblr Username
vbimbo
Streamate Username
Bambi_Bluebell
Chaturbate Username
Bambibluebell
Hi guys,

I know there are other threads like this out there, but I would really like to just be able to let it all hang out with people who know what's what. Today was my first time on cam (chaturbate) and it was... poor. I was on for two hours, and though I had a plan and thought I was well prepared, it didn't really work out at all. I had the roll the dice thing going, and some goals, and I have a tip menu. My profile is still really basic but there is some detail on there - makeup was great, outfit was sexy, revealing but with plenty to take off...
... I wasn't expecting to make money as such but I thought I would at least see some action. I was very smiley, greeting everyone who came into the room and trying to get a chat started. For the whole time I was online, I never saw more than 7 people in the room. One guy tipped me 4 tokens for putting lipstick marks on my tits, the rest of the time, nothing at all - now that I'm typing that I'm thinking actually I shouldn't have done that for so little, but I was so excited to see something happen. Also I got scammed by an asshole who appeared to have tipped me 300 to get naked, but when afterwards I realised it wasn't real, which put a bit of a dent in my confidence.
My sound wouldn't work and I couldn't figure out why, and I felt pretty discouraged- greys hung around, but blues and purples kept coming into my room and then leaving straight away and I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, unless it was the no sound thing. I know that it's at least as much about personality as looks, but I'm not sure what I should be doing to convey that in the first few seconds of someone entering my room.

I'm not so much bummed out about the money, but more that there was almost no traffic and what I've read made me think that there would be a fair bit of through traffic and chat even if none of it lead anywhere. If anyone else wants to share their less than succesful first shift stories, that would be great. I know the models only thread contains ideas for what to do in your room but I haven't got verified model status yet, so if anyone wanted to give me ideas beyond apps and bots for how to keep myself occupied when there's nothing going on, that would be great.
Basically I know I must be on the wrong track, but I don't know why.

Help, or just supportive chat, much appreciated. I'm so grateful this community exists and I would love to make some freinds!

BB xx

I'm sorry to hear of your not-so-good first cam sesh :) It happens! You should expect to have very little to no people in your room for the first several sessions, honestly. It takes a while to get exposure. Just keep at it, keep positive, and keep your expectations low (because otherwise you'll just get depressed!).

I cam on MFC, otherwise I'd love to be your model friend! I don't have any model friends yet either, and I know it would be helpful to have some...

Eek I'm sorry you had a bad experience, if it makes you feel any better, mine was god awful. It happens.

Just shrug it off and try again. Don't be afraid to branch out more too other sites if you feel one isn't working out.

I just tried to click on your profile here and it said my region or gender is blocked. Maybe if you only ever saw 7 people you accidentally blocked more people than you meant to? With a new model tag you should expect way more than 7.

Don't beat yourself up too much bb :h:
My first time on cam was a disaster...as was like my first weeks on cam to be honest lol. I didn't know what I was doing, didn't know the difference between premium members vs free members lol, horrible angles bad lighting, baaaad makeup, confusion with what I was comfortable doing etc.

Now all of my income comes from camming and clips. I'm really proud of how far I've come. There is SO much room to grow and learn in this industry and the best teacher is experience.

Put more time in and don't be hesitate to branch out to other sites if CB is frustrating you. Logging on puts you on the right track-don't let how the first few shifts dictate how camming can turn out. I know time and experience has made me improve SO much and I'm still learning more constantly.

My first time was pretty bad haha. I had a white board set up behind me for a board clear game but apparently no one could see the writing on it and no one told me for like ever. And I didn't have a back up plan so I was like "um....well...." and tried to do a mini raffle. Hahaha I didn't make a single token. It takes some time to figure out what works I think, even if you read everything. Don't let your first time get to you.

I'm 5 yrs old this month and I still have god awful low traffic days. Weeks even.

Camming is a marathon, not a sprint. It's going to take a lot longer than one day in most cases to see results. Right now I think just focusing on good lighting, sound, and framing is a good start. Usually if a room is slow at first it's one of those things.

Hey guys, just wanted to say thank you so much for replying and this has really helped boost my moral about the whole thing. I think I'm just going to try and view like the whole first month as a giant learning exersize and just have as much fun with it as I can. I've been runnning a sex blog on tumblr for ages, just for fun, and it occurred to me that I was basically doing what camgirls do but in stills, and not for cash... so I thought I'd give it a try. I have done loads of research (it's totally possible to get overwhelmed by info!) but got so hung up on the idea of wanting to make money that I felt like I couldn't do anything fun unless I could pursuade someone to pay me for it. I think maybe I need to relax and experiment a bit. But basically thank you so much for replying and making me feel less awkward and alone :D xx

Reactions: AlexaCrush
I just tried to click on your profile here and it said my region or gender is blocked. Maybe if you only ever saw 7 people you accidentally blocked more people than you meant to? With a new model tag you should expect way more than 7.

I just got the same thing. Did you change your settings recently or was it like that from the start. It might go someway to explaining why you had such low traffic, given you were blocking men from seeing your room.

• Helpful!
Reactions: MojitosJourney
My first time on cam was horrible too @BambiBluebell and tbh i thought about not bothering with it again. Just stick with it, i've been doing it a couple weeks now and its the only the last few nights i've felt really confident and started to get more tips. I still don't get a lot of people in but i interact with the ones who are in my room which helps. Also unlocking all regions has helped too.

@PinkBunny I love that name. I'm just coming up to the end of my second week, having stuck with it because everyone was so encouraging :) I'm having a good time and my traffic is still lowish but okay and like you, I interact a lot. The only times I find it difficult is when no one is interacting. I do get blown away by all the girls on chaturbate page 1 who are just sitting naked and masturbating while the tips roll in. No shade - well done them! I feel like a circus monkey, dancing around for tips :D Don't get me wrong I am having a blast, it beats the shit out of a normal job. But I do sometimes get the envy. Then I figure juuust be patient, girl. Keep it up.

I just got the same thing. Did you change your settings recently or was it like that from the start. It might go someway to explaining why you had such low traffic, given you were blocking men from seeing your room.
Hi guys, thanks for your help. I've blocked the UK for personal and work reasons, so if you're in the Uk that will be why. If you're not, could you let me know? Thank you xxx @noonespecial85 @fandango

I'm still new, so take my advice with a grain of salt haha. I was a lot happier when I looked at bad days as learning experiences instead of failures. Try to figure out what works best for you. The nice thing about Chaturbate is no pressure about camscores or anything, so it's a great place to just experiment. Figure out what YOU enjoy doing, and that energy will come off to your viewers. If you're stressed, people will pick up on that too.

Don't compare yourself to other models, that way lies madness D:< Just try to do better than you did last time, and you'll build momentum.

Haha thanks BambiBluebell :) i seem to be doing well when i'm just chatting away and even having privates where i spend most the session just talking avout nothing but your right i get envious as well of the page 1 girls. Over the last few weeks i've learnt to just be myself and have fun with it and people start tipping :D x

OMG, thank you so much for posting this! I literally just created an acct to reply to this thread. I hope you're still on and will see this, OP. I am not including my online identity here, because I need to vent, and I don't want that venting to get connected to my online sexy persona, because pouting is not good for sales! :) But, I feel like we could totally be friends, and I'm going to follow you on Chaturbate and see if I can get to know you there in time. (I don't mind you knowing who I am on Chaturbate, but just don't want to write it in the public forum.)

Oh... I have so much to say! I could write my own thread, but instead, I'd rather post to yours to show my support because we had similar experiences I think, and were new on Chaturbate around the same time. I hope what I write here will help somebody out, because I'm about to lay down some reality. I just need someone to commiserate with, to keep my sanity! First, I am so grateful to all the ladies here. I feel like there are a lot of really cool women on this forum, and I have been reading for months and learning a lot. But, let me tell you a bit about my experience because I think it's important to document this somewhere online. I looked all over the internet and found very little confirmation of what I think is happening on Chaturbate now. Most of the posts are reflecting old conditions, or made by people who started years ago. I think the current cam climate there is very different because the market is saturated.

So let me start by saying, I have a PhD, but due to some medical stuff, I ended up not being able to work full time in my field, had a ton of medical bills to pay, and ended up in the world of online camming. I kept reading all this stuff everywhere about earnings potentially being huge - you just have to commit, and stick to a time slot. Need good personality. Etc. So since you can't see me, I'll tell you I'm curvy, with average body and DD breasts. Depending on which angle I am toward camera, I can look thin and tall and fairly athletic, or short and slightly overweight and undertoned, so can fit into a range of preferences but won't do for people who like extremely thin or extremely athletic or very obese as their favorite. I have pale skin and long light hair, although I sometimes wear wigs. I'm told I'm very attractive, with a pretty face, and I get hit on a lot, but of course that is always going to be an individual preference thing.

I spent several months researching online camming before I got on. As a beginner, I decided to go with Chaturbate. I want to give all these details to commiserate with you, BambiBluebell, but also because I hope others looking online will find this thread and see some background that might help them. So, I pointed out my academic background because I am a researcher at heart. I took this seriously. I have read a bunch of threads that pretty much imply that when a model doesn't do well, it's her fault, there's something lacking in her or her performance. And yes, everybody has things they could improve on. But lately, I think it's the market. Because I got a Logitech c930e webcam, which is supposedly the best for this type of thing. I got 300mbps internet installed. I spent about a week decorating a whole room in my home the way I wanted for a good theme, perfecting a 3-point lighting system to be the most flattering in the camera, got a new microphone, and did several hours of video tests before broadcasting. Because I'm crazy, lol! I made absolutely sure the broadcast was in HD when adjusting the controls in Chaturbate for the best quality vs. best speed combo. When the site is busy, it could barely manage a speed of more than 22, and sometimes dropped down to like 6 out of nowhere. which is def not a prob coming from my end, because when fewer people are on the site I got speeds easily into the 30s. It's a problem with Chaturbate. I invested in a bunch of new outfits, and tested all of them out beforehand to pick the most flattering. I made sure my makeup was flawless, and relatively minimal, since I'm going for the natural and innocent look with my branding.

I had a fully designed attractive bio that went with my theme. I had apps and bots, and the most popular games. I made up games on my own, in addition to the ones that were running, to see what got people engaged. I had good music, and good sound. I let people request songs. I smiled a lot. I talked. I typed. I tried blocking all but paying customers from chat, then got desperate and allowed grays to chat too. I had watched Chaturbate models for 2 months and took notes on what seemed to work, who I related to and might be able to have a similar career/clientele to, and also how to handle different situations that come up, all that so I could hit the ground running.

I know I have a good personality, and that I'm comfortable talking with people. I speak in front of and engage with people for a living, so that must be kind of a given. I also am very sexual, and know how to turn people on. So I really don't think this is the problem.

I kept a spreadsheet of everything that happened, because to me I'm running a business. So here's what happened after all my hard work:

My very first day, I was on for 3.5 hrs at a peak traffic time. It was August 2017. I made 552 tokens, which is the equivalent of $7.72/hr, and ended with 54 new followers. Even in the shitty local retail management job I worked part-time, I made $15/hr, and I didn't have to show my tits for pennies... but I know it was just a first day. Still, this "New" tag is bullshit. Either it's not showing, or it does absolutely nothing. I never got more than 18 people in my room, and the average that whole time was only 13 people - most of them gray, some of them bots not even people. I made the good screen shots to bring them in, everything. I had a price list, changed the tags in the front, used as many tags as I could and to my best advantage to bring in likely customers, all that. I tried changing the amounts for goals. You name it, I did it. I only have 2 states in the US blocked from my viewers, everyone else in the world can see me. I put up a privates menu. I'm kind of a master teaser, and extremely flexible, and I know how to use that to my advantage - so when customers told me I have amazing legs and would rake in the dough if I added stocking work, I bought a bunch of pairs and added all that. I also uploaded photo albums for them to buy in the first week that were semi-professionally done. I offered incentives for a fanclub, and also for privates. I'm a good dancer, but after hours and hours of dancing and grinding provocatively, I was exhausted. I tried different hours, different days, trying to find a spot that had enough traffic but where I wasn't competing directly with the big names on the front page. I tried everything I could possibly think of.

In the first week, I totaled 33 hours of broadcasting, so almost like a full-time job, and I absolutely worked my fucking ass off. I made $195US, or a total of only $5.97/hr - well below minimum wage.

By the second week, that got worse. For my first ever paycheck, I logged 55 total broadcast hours in two weeks, and made only $298US - a total of only $5.47/hr. On 8 different sessions I literally made $0! It is hard to keep going when that happens once, much less 8 times! On 4 other sessions, I made $2 or less the entire time. Some days that I did better and got a lot of new followers (particularly the ones that paid well) I was there at the same time the next day. The days/times of the week that were poor, I switched to try different times. So I covered most time slots in a 24-hour period, with many showing up multiple days in a row at the same time, and was on every day of the week. One day I cammed for 7.5 hours straight with no break and no time even to get a drink of water. A few times it was so dead and depressing I logged off after only 45 minutes and tried again later, hoping to pick up more traffic.

By the end of the first 2 weeks, I had 586 followers. The max number of people I ever had in my room was 54. The lowest - which was frequent - was 4. My average in all that time was about 18.

To give you an idea of customer satisfaction, here are the comments customers made, which I wrote down verbatim on my spreadsheet:

"Beautiful
Sexy in every way
Could stare at you forever
You are my dream girl!
I would cross a galaxy to marry you!
Better body than a Victoria Secret model [well, of course that's up to opinion, but the customer is always right, lol!]
You really know how to keep your viewers engaged
Wow, I have never been so turned on by a woman in my life
Fun chat
Great bio
Love the outfits!
You're a goddess, so sexy!
Amazing legs
Gorgeous eyes
Perfect nipples
Stunning
Yesterday was the hardest I've ever cum in my life, and now today you topped it again... Fan for life!
How are you not on the first page? You should be one of the top models here - why is there like nobody in your room? You are
easily better than 99% of the girls camming on here!"

I am not bragging. This is depressing. Those are direct quotes (from customer living in countries all over the world) which I think illustrates my point. Nobody said anything negative. They were outrageously enthusiastic most of the time. But nobody joined the fanclub. Only a few people went private. Of the people who paid enough to give me a rating, only 15 qualified and did so, and I got a 100% satisfaction - which I did allow to be visible. Very few people paid anything. Of my "regular customers" very few paid more than like $5 dollars a day, and some were assholes on top of it. [You know, "PM me, PM me, PM me for free! Show tits for free! Cum show for free! Why are you talking to him? Talk to me and me only!!! I paid you $2 yesterday, I own you for life!"] I wrote 'no demands,' but you know how it goes... they demand stupid shit, and I could block them, but then I have no money at all. I was hoping they could get the ball rolling, and then I would block them when I didn't need them. A few customers were really nice, but they paid me in pennies. Very few ever spoke to me, even when I allowed grays to talk. I was working outrageously hard, for a pittance of what I would make in the real world, even for someone with no degrees and student loans to pay off. It wasn't fun or interesting, because I was almost completely by myself for 55 hours, talking to myself. Whenever I asked questions, tried to engage people in words or typing, no one answered. I think most of them were too busy with their dominant hands, to be really honest. I would get a lot "Ahh - that was amazing! ...Be back tomorrow"s after total silence. Lol. No hands free to type.

So was it really me? I don't think so.

I was exhausted, demoralized, and crying quite a bit by the end of the first pay period. Maybe that sounds extreme, but you have to understand too that this is an extremely emotionally draining job. It's very physically demanding too. It's hard to smile all that time, be engaging every minute of the day, give the perfect answer and look and sound ideal to every customer who comes in (because god knows if a purple comes in and you don't immediately act like he's the only one in the room, he gets offended that you're talking to "grays" and leaves), and somehow juggle the divergent needs of 2 or 3 different penny-throwing customers at a time. You're on, on, on, all that time. Then you're sore, sore, sore. And then you're awake and can't sleep. Or, at least I was. I barely slept at all for the whole 2 weeks, because I couldn't wind down after all that, plus the weird hours when I was trying to find my best time slots. So, admittedly, I went a bit mental.

That persona was really hard to keep up with. She was sweet, perky, smart, easy to talk to, a "good girl," looked flawless all the time, and was constantly eager to please. I wanted to punch her in her face, lol! I tried to create something I could keep up with, that involved a theme I liked and could spend a lot of time doing - somebody that made me happy too! - but the more outrageously kind compliments I got, the more I felt like I had to make sure to live up to that every day, never disappoint, always look perfect and make everybody happy. If you can't tell, I'm a bit of a perfectionist already naturally, lol, so that didn't work well for me. I just sat up all night trying to think what I could do better to bring in more viewers, get somebody to pay more. But nothing was working. I burned out totally.

So I created a new persona with a new account, and linked it to my first one, like a studio. This girl was totally opposite - she had an attitude, was raunchy, was more of a punk-rock style chick, listened to different music and had a totally different setting and lighting. She had a dark edgy wig, and edgier clothes. She wore no makeup at all, or makeup that hid the fact she hadn't slept or might have blemishes from hard living, lol. It was easier to keep up with, because I didn't have to be nice, didn't have to have anything clever to say, didn't have to look directly into camera if I didn't feel like it, could be rude to people who said disgusting things if I wanted to, and could roll out of bed and throw the wig on and whatever lingerie and no makeup, flip the light on, and that was it. No stretching and crazy acrobatics or exhausting dancing and grinding. Just sitting there, saying very little, flashing only what they paid for, teasing only if I felt like it. It was certainly less draining, but I already felt bitter from my experience with Ms. Perky, lol.

This "bad girl" drew in totally different clientele. She got totally different comments. Customers were interested in very different things, and had different fetishes. A lot of butt people, for instance. S&M. Not so much the legs. Nobody with the stockings. Nobody who wanted to see me in elegant dresses and all that. More of a hard core sex club crowd. People were still really complimentary though.

"Beautiful
Sexy
Dat ass tho
Nipples to die for!
Where have you been all my life? Where for that matter have you been hiding on this site? Why do you have so few viewers?"

I worked 5 hours total as this girl, on 3 different days. The first day I made $28US in 2 hrs. Then the next day I made $0. Then the next, I made $2. I got only 53 followers in all that time, no privates, no fanclubbers, no photo album sales. Only 3 ratings, 100%. All 3 days were the same time of day. Mostly just people throwing pennies at me again, and wanting me to do something for nothing again.

I thought I would go back to the Nice Girl when I had recovered my energy, and then just use Bad Girl whenever I was tired and just wanted to make a quick buck, or when I was frustrated and wanted to mouth off to somebody, lol. But, then a hurricane wiped out my home. No shit. So I am only just getting around to considering going back online now. I definitely need the money. But, in a month of working, it nearly broke me. And the last $30 is still sitting in there, because it's not enough to cash out and get paid!

I know this is crazy long, but I wanted to write it to say, IT'S NOT YOU! I worked my fucking ass off. My customers were 100% satisfied. I got rave reviews on the daily. No one pointed out anything wrong. But every time I went on, there were anywhere between 39-44 pages of people broadcasting on Chaburbate. I was never on the front page, even when new - not for either account I created. That is some bullshit, or a change, if anyone tells you they do that. They don't anymore. I was always on like P. 33 - totally lost among the masses. I did whatever I could to stand out, but it's just impossible at this point. The only people who seem to get a lot of views there now who are new are like the one girl I saw who was busy shoving extra-large zucchinis she grew in her garden in weird places. Which is against the rules. Or rape-fantasy couples, which is also against the rules. Or little-girl-acting people, which is also against the rules. Or Colombian or Russian group sex with thousands of bot viewers - of which there are quite a few in that category. I can't compete with 10,000 bots.

Maybe using another site would be better. But, my confidence took a huge hit from this, and everybody says Chaturbate is the beginner site, you shouldn't go to the other ones if you're not good at camming.

So here I am whining, because I will probably go back on in the next few days, because I read that summer is the slow season and money might really pick up in Winter. Especially because my first girl offered a cheerful fantasy that might appeal to people who are depressed from the cold and darkness and snow. And the second girl can exorcise their bitter demons, lol. But I needed to connect with another model who GETS it first, someone who isn't blaming me for not being good enough. Like, I TRIED. But very few people even spoke to me. They made me do all the work. Grays at least talk. Blue and purples mostly give commands, and then stay silent. If they pay, it's often in single tokens - which is 20 cents, people! Am I supposed to act fucking grateful when you throw 20 cents at me and say 'Show me your pussy!!!' And then leave in a huff when I don't because you never paid another dime after that?

I do think I was TOO sexy. I was not naked on cam much, because I wanted to make them pay to get me there. But even so, I was making sexy noises and grinding around a lot, and a lot of guys said they came just from watching me. OK, too much free show, even with clothes on. Noted. Didn't realize that was a concern even when all the bits are covered. But apparently, guys are so used to seeing naked now, being clothed turned them on even faster! Which is why Bad Girl stopped moving almost at all, and half the time just showed her tits in a bikini top with no head in the shot, or just her sexy angry face and nothing else. They didn't seem to care - they still paid her a lot of compliments, and came in and out of the room at about the same rate as the Nice Girl who worked so hard. She made money at just about exactly the same rate. Except that Bad Girl attracted a lot more purple clientele right off the bat. And Nice Girl attracted more scammers trying to convince her they paid her when they didn't, or to give her acct password to them so they could "help her design her page," or "manage the bots for her" etc. Fortunately, I knew all this stuff beforehand from my research and didn't fall for any of it! But she looked so young and innocent, they thought she was an idiot. They assumed the Bad Girl was more street-wise - I guess because of the dark hair? lol.

I hope something in this long rant was educational, or at least entertaining, for somebody! I assume that if I kept at it regularly, I might build up a clientele and make an average of maybe $600US/month, which was my bare minimum goal for my first month without which I couldn't even justify doing it at all. But in the first month, I only made $328US after 60 hours of work, and I felt too demoralized and exhausted to continue, especially after the storm made me temporarily homeless, plus I lost a lot of the stuff I invested in to set up. I do still have the webcam and some of the lighting though, lol! And a few pieces of lingerie. These were small things that were easy to save.

Point being, BambiBluebell, I feel you! This Summer/Fall 2017 has been BRUTAL on Chaturbate for new people. I think people need to lower their expectations a WHOLE LOT if they are joining. On the other hand, if you fit into a niche that stands out and is tough to compete with, you might still do really well. For instance, I noticed that girls who would fit in the super morbidly obese medical category were cleaning up! I just can't compete with them, because guys who are into them find me gross looking. And guys who like super-thin, also find me gross looking. I know my lane. I''m not everybody's cup of tea. But I LOVE some of those ladies, and to be honest they were working a lot less hard than I was - just being normal, taking a shower or chatting while eating, super casual. Some other girls have such a funky vibe and an interesting look or personality, so they had a strong following even without being in great shape, being super large or average either, or frankly without looking like they've even showered or combed their hair in maybe a week. No shade at all, I'm being straight honest and admire their business skills! The bullshit advice all over about webcam girls need to look cute, have great lighting and HD, have a great approachable personality... none of that was true this summer. I saw girls rake in more dough than I did in a week in an hour, and have at least 10k followers, and many of them had terrible lighting, no sound at all, never spoke or barely typed, don't speak any English which a lot of people have said on the internet was necessary for the best money, and/or had a super rude personality. Literally some of them looked like they smelled bad. I watched a lot of girls tell people off and say they hated the job and the customers. Maybe they're onto a negging/humiliation market? I don't know, it got a lot of guys comforting them, and paying them tokens, even if in single increments - but steadily. Bags under eyes, literally clothes with holes in them. I think I saw about 50 hrs of people eating on cam, lol. And not in a sexy way - like a dripping your salad dressing, or sauce on your sandwich, down your face and not noticing or cleaning it type of way. I saw a ton of rule breaking. More dogs than you can count. This is probably part of the reason so many Chaturbate people get their accounts suspended - because they never read the TOS. Or maybe jealous people flag them? I don't know - was terrified my acct too would get locked and I would never be paid, but at least I did get the first payment.

Like no lie, all the advice I read online about how to earn money, did not really apply at all. If you look at the big time girls and couples (I didn't do much research on men because it wouldn't be much help to me), all the ones who have been around since 2015 or before totally fit that concept - the first page names (aside from bot-driven ones) are people who look like professional models, have stellar lighting, nice personalities, all that. BUT the newer people who are successful, whom I kept a close eye on because they are more likely to have a similar experience to me... those people were usually niche market, or break TOS rules to appeal to people with shady interests. Very few of them really had the best equipment or body or look. A lot had no bio at all, or a shitty one.

Some girls I saw were way better-looking than me, clearly professional models, had lighting and HD quality that is literally beyond anything that seems possible with existing technology, and did everything pretty much right - and I saw them dribble by with 12 viewers at a time, and seemingly no tips at all. I saw girls look sad and confused, especially new ones, who looked super dejected and like they didn't know what to do, and I saw them say things about how they doubted themselves, how they have no viewers and no one paying, how they might quit, how they thought maybe they just weren't good looking enough for camming... I wanted to give all these people the few pennies I had made! I see them all trying so hard... but so many barely pull $10-20US/day. A lot of the people who seemed to try less hard, or try not at all, and be less commercially attractive, seemed to be making way more money. I hesitate to say this, because a new flood of slackers may come on and then that category won't make money anymore either! For reals. You need to stand out in a major way.

A LOT of people making good money, or who have a lot of followers, with no sound. Or who never paid attention to the customers or the camera, who were staring at their phone or another screen. No joke, they were boring af. And no joke, I took that as a tip, and went back on even as my "Nice Girl" and tried ignoring the camera and looking at some other screen or typing like I was too busy to be bothered with these people, and every single time my viewer count went up!! They don't want tits n ass. They want to see girls who don't give a fuck, ignoring them and only responding to every 6th question. Again, maybe that's hitting some kind of fetish? Or it's the same reason I get hit on way more when I act aloof and like I don't want to be bothered in my unwashed sweats at the grocery store, than when I act approachable and dress up in real life? I wish to god girls paid, but in my experience so far, girls talk a good game and I love having them in the room, but only guys fork up the cash - so we have to pay attention to the unfortunate psychology of the male mind...

Also, we need to be real that in Summer/Fall 2017, virtually the only people who got any attention had a Lovense or similar object. Don't know how long this will last as a trend. But I'm not about to invest that much in something that vibrates internally and never even touches my clit, that women using seem to jerk like they're having a seizure whenever it turns on and make sounds and faces almost like they're in genuine pain and not at all happy, for a job where I might not even recoup it - because my luck by the time I hook it up, that market too will be oversaturated, lol.

Note also that a lot of these Lovense people didn't even have any sound on, so I have no clue how that even worked. Because I thought it works off of picking up the sound of tokens depositing. But you know, it was a lot of, 'oh, I'm at work/my sister's house, shhhh! Oh god, I'm at dinner with my family, oh no, watch me make my cum face and try not to let them know!...' I mean, to me it got old watching a few hours of that, but I guess not to a lot of Chaturbate customers! They kept a huge following for hours doing that, fully clothed or mostly clothed a lot of the time.

So, this is just an accounting of where Chaturbate is at for new female models. Again, no shade to anybody. You do what works. But this shit is hard. If you don't naturally have a look that is difficult to fill and fits a niche, it's really hard to draw them in. There are 40 pages of people you're competing with, and endless amounts of free porn with pretty people all over the internet, many of them amateurs or couples or lesbian or whatever you could possibly be or ever want to be. My opinion, if you're looking to start fresh in the summer time post-2016, I hope you really love doing this, and would do it for free, or can hang in there for a year to build clientele. Because the pay according to a lot of new people is low. But a lot of older people will tell you it's good if you just do the right things - which I suspect was genuinely true when most of them started. But they already have their loyal fanbase. For new people, it's a lot harder now than I think it used to be. I admire people who have been around for figuring this out and jumping on sooner, before it was every housewife and schoolteacher getting naked online after work. But now... it's not special anymore to be online and be a "regular girl" or a "pretty girl" or whatever who cums or gets naked on demand. You and a million other people.

Much love to all you ladies! Truly. I love watching so many of you, and follow a ton of people myself. But of course I have a lot of opinions, so you can see why I'm keeping this anonymous, lol! :) That's why my profile photo is upside-down... because it feels like I'm in upside-down world, lol, and I'm cranky!

Maybe now that I've vented, I can shut up and get back on broadcasting. And update soon that I had better luck! I probably should try being on and not trying at all, just being myself on camera and getting other work done, or masturbating the way I want to and ignoring the customers, so at least I'll enjoy myself whether or not I make money.

But OP, the struggle is real. And it's probably not you.

If you like taking your top off or doing a sex show for $5 or less, Chaturbate is waiting for you! But to be honest, I could be an actual live-and-in-person hooker giving hand jobs in a back alley and make more money. Which, aside from the real-live jizz, is starting to be tempting... I'm broke af right now! :)

Yes, I know, so many of you will say, "Wall of Text; Didn't Read." But my god, I just needed to get that off my chest. In one of my last broadcasts, I got annoyed and played Lily Allen's "It's Hard Out Here For a Bitch." My customers didn't appreciate it, but it made me laugh...

Interesting. I read it all. Since the number of performers on chaturbate has exploded in the last years, it's very likely that it's harder to start now compared to say...two years ago. Personally I'm kinda glad I started about two years ago and made my following. I didn't see you on cam, so I can't give any feedback on your room. I frequently see new girls making it to the front page on their first days, so it's still possible. Looking at the "new cams" page however I also see many performers stuck with 10-20 users in the room, which sounds like your situation. If new girls start too late to appear on the "new cams" page I will never see them as they are most likely stuck forever on the last pages of cb.

Don't ever take anything personal on cam is the best advice I can give you. The job gets into your head, especially the bad days. I know it's easy to say but trust me, we all had these days, where you could just cry. I don't know if you wanna continue to work on cam. If you do, don't give up :kiss:

----

Oh, I forgot to mention in my first post, that I had a few established Chaturbate models who DID look at what I was doing when I was broadcasting, and became followers of mine, and made comments like, "You are so, hot, my new favorite on here! Would love to do a joint broadcast if you're ever in my area!" or "This is amazing, you're going to do so well here!" These were not the top 10 models, but people with very strong followings who are really successful, and they thought I was good, and that there was nothing wrong with the broadcast. They also started paying me some tokens here and there, which is cool considering they're of course on there to make their own money. Now, maybe if I stuck it out I could earn a good following of other models. Also, if I had started using the Twtter acct I set up for my Chaturbate persona, maybe those other popular Chaturbate models would have followed me and said nice things to recommend me, and I would have gotten a strong paying following faster. Again, it's about having a great marketing plan. But, I just didn't get around to it, and then the hurricane happened. But this was another little data point that would indicate that the problem wasn't with my look or my broadcast really, because I had people who are successful at camming who had nothing but highly complimentary things to say. But I think all that just made me more discouraged, because people were being so nice, but I was making so little money for the hard work I was putting in, and I didn't even make back the money I invested in the camera, lighting, internet install, and outfits after the first month of work. So maybe if I stuck it out I would have. But, I think people being so nice about me broadcast made me feel worse, because there was no clear area I could improve on that would result in real money. And then some customers were just dicks.

And then, there was the guy who lived in another country where I couldn't report him, and started trying to use me to help sexually abuse his 9-year-old disabled daughter. Which made me physically ill when I realized what he was talking about (his English was not very clear and he only wrote in English), but I just had to point out very clearly that abuse is NOT ok and he should be put in prison, and then silently ban him and go on smiling like everything was great. Some days really suck. Then there was a day when a nice guy who was gray bought a bunch of tokens for his first time ever just to pay them all to me, because he wanted to talk to me more and felt like it was rude to do so without steadily paying me small amounts of tokens. So he would pay me 1 token per question he asked me, and another for my reply, and then keep buying more when he ran out, even though he had no money. He was really entertaining and fun to talk to, and he talked to me for hours a few days in a row, until he couldn't afford any more tokens and left because he felt embarrassed. But he would still pop in to say hello on other days, and that he still didn't have tokens so he would try to come back some day when he could afford more, and not "bother" me until then. So that experience was really sweet! Except of course that some purple guys got jealous that I was talking to him and mad because they had more tokens than he had. But that guy was the only person who kept a real conversation with me in a full month! I would have been happy to talk to the guys who had more tokens, if they had anything at all to say. But they mostly wrote short demands, or nothing at all, and rarely answered my questions. So even if he had no money, at least he was sweet and funny and I enjoyed the company for a few hours. There were a number of grays who bought their first ever tokens to pay me with. So that was nice. People forget that we were all grays once, so it's worth being nice to grays. But I still didn't end up with a hill of cash, despite all the compliments.

----
Just to be clear, I know I could sound super arrogant with these posts that I'm making. But my point is not that I'm perfect, or the best looking girl, or any of that. The point is, I worked extremely hard to be really prepared and give the best show I could, with the best look and equipment I could manage and all that. And even when you are a person who does a lot of things right and lots of different types of people are into what you're doing, it still might not be enough for great success in today's camming market.

So I just wanted to show support for the OP, that it totally probably wasn't anything really wrong with her. Even without sound, I saw a lot of girls do really well. But they'd been around a few years. But, the new model market is really tough, especially in the Summer/early Autumn it looks like. All the harder if one has an appeal that a lot of other people also have in terms of looks, or style, or whatever.

Last edited:
Thanks, dark_mermaid!

I don't get the "new" thing. According to the people who were in my rooms, I was never on the first page. Not for either acct. And for both accts, I started broadcasting the very first day I was verified - so it's not like I waited until after the first 7 days. I have read similar comments from a lot of new Chaturbate models. It doesn't seem to be true for a ton of people that "New" gets you anything special at all. I have no idea if that is due to some kind of technology glitch (Chaturbate seems to have many) or a change in policy. But to be sure, I did put #new among my hashtags. I also used a ton of other hashtags.

The reality is, someone who is brand new with few followers and no boost from the site due to the "New" status, has no chance whatsoever of competing with spambots that put some models at 500-2000 "viewers" in the room, even though they are a bunch of gray computers "watching" and no real people. That puts them in the front few pages, and everybody else gets lost in the shuffle in the middle, no matter how interesting the broadcast. Hence why Chaturbate often has a bunch of dead-eyed models on the first 4 pages who don't really speak, look listless, and don't do anything unique, but miraculously have thousands of gray "viewers" in the room. There have also been issues on Chaturbate with hackers who get into people's accounts, fake credit card information (and then Chaturbate bans the model as if the model had anything to do with getting ripped off), etc. It looks to me like their IT security and programming is sorely lacking.

So I'm torn, because I see the promise of Chaturbate being this cool chill place where I can be myself, or any character I want to be, and hang with people every day, and get paid for it - even if in the end it's not a landslide of cash. I can also watch cool people who may at times offer the kind of sexuality I'm actually interested in unlike the fake nonsense that production porn offers, or who just have awesome and interesting personalities. I like the idea of the community. I even traveled to a showcase where Chaturbate workers were broadcasting in a public space (what they were doing was pretty tame) and they were demonstrating what the site is like, and talked to them about some of my problems. The thing is, everybody is so quick to give the party line and say that the model is lacking somehow, rather than acknowledging the limitations of the platform. But there is such a thing as supply and demand, and one can't ignore the reality that while there may always be a demand for porn, there is WAYYYYY more supply of online porn than there used to be, and naturally given economics, the price is going to go down, as is the viewership. At some point, people have to admit logic and recognize that no matter how good somebody is at their job, when they are competing with thousands of other people who want to do the same job on the same day and time, that drives prices and number of customers down. Versus in the old days when maybe you could broadcast and have only 200 other models as competition, and a few free porn sites, now there are thousands of models, and probably millions of free porn sites. And it's not like there's a sex workers union, so you end up with people tripping over themselves to drive the price lower, to get naked or cum or do anal or whatever it may be for pennies, or for completely free. And so naturally, customers are going to be willing to pay less for the very same service that once was worth something because it was rare and costly - because now it's cheap or free and easily available anywhere. Plus, the reality is that hackers are getting more sophisticated, and there are whole websites devoted to faking Chaturbate tokens. The only solution is either stellar marketing, like certain porn stars have on Chaturbate as cross-over models or through some other means of getting media coverage, or building a slow list of clientele the old fashioned way like any other business. So like any start-up, the question is how much free time and how much dedication do you have to keep doing all the hard work with very little pay-off, until you finally build the following that gives you a more 'secure' income with steady and decent customers?

It's a buyer's market now in online porn, not a seller's market as it once was. And that is true of camming, as much as any other category, today. I think I jumped in before it is so well-known that it is totally mainstream and out in the open. BUT, I think we're pretty close to that point. So maybe there aren't millions and millions of cammers yet, but there are certainly tens of thousands. And that makes competition pretty stiff. And on a platform like Chaturbate, because you can see so much nudity and cumming and diversity for free, at some point you have to bring something dramatically different and unique to the table as a newcomer, or you'll get awash in the tides. All the more so when the site does nothing to promote you as a new model who works the very first day she has an account.

Yeah, I feel like the days of a new camgirl from the US (or similar cost of living country) making a living are coming to an end. The market is flooded with camgirls/studios from countries with much lower cost of living who can afford to work for much lower wages. How do you compete with that? Chaturbate's ranking algorithms (if you can even call it that) are a catch 22 for any new girls (at least once the "new" tag expires). The ones with an existing fanbase will be fine of course, but I have no idea how new girls manage to get anywhere when there's 30+ pages of other girls on. You need followers to rank high enough to get followers. Catch 22. Of course, there's also anomalies like a girl I saw last month. First day on, completely clothed, and had 11,000+ viewers with tokens rolling in by the thousands. Got 10,000 followers in one day. I don't get it.

Luckily we started in 2017 as a couple. It's been tough, but we've built a decent following since we (couples) have 1/10th or less of the competition. It's much more difficult for the studios to compete in that space. Although, we still had to offer a very different show from what others were doing in order to get anywhere. My girlfriend does go on solo occasionally and our follower base we built as a couple definitely helps that, but she still rarely gets more than 50 people in the room. Tipping is all over the place. Could be 1000+ tokens in an hour or 10. Prior to building our followers, she wouldn't see more than 10. I have no idea how anyone is supposed to gain any traction like that.

It's tough now for new girls on chaturbate. No doubt about it. You can be as well prepared as you can be and still get no traction. This has always been the case, now compared to say two years ago, it will happen more often. This doesn't even have necessarily anything to do with bots or something like it and definitely not with your looks or your hustle. Simple reason is that there are now sometimes 3,000 performers online in the female section only. A LOT more than some years ago.

There will always the occasional girl that just sits there, does nothing and magically has the room full and tokens flying at her. Could be luck or maybe she just has "it", an aura that draws people to them. Magic.

I also don't completely understand the boost that the "new girl" status gives you on chaturbate. It places you on the extra page https://chaturbate.com/new-cams/ and gives you the "new" tag on your thumbnails preview. Does it do anything else? Does it add to chaturbate's algorithms for page placement or is it just the curiosity of the users that make them jump to a "new" room and stay until "sometimes" this rooms makes it to the front page? I don't know. What I know is, that if you never had the "new" tag, it's close to impossible to get a following and traction.

Right now, i would say, for a well prepared girl like you myfreecams might be the better page to start on if you want a token based camsite. There you REALLY can have a great start. You are given a fair camscore plus "new" label, also less performers nowadays. But be well prepared, camscore is stressful and doesn't allow a slow start.

Status
Not open for further replies.