AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Flash now disabled by default in Chrome

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/chrome-55-now-blocks-flash-uses-html5-by-default/

Users can still right click to enable flash. At least until chrome completely removes flash.

You can also goto chrome://settings/content and change flash from ask before allowing flash to allow flash. again this works till chrome completely removes flash.

Thats a little bit out of date considering chrome is now on Version 57.0.2987.133 (64-bit)
I assume that applies to new installs only as none of my chrome upgrades have defaulted to blocked.

The devs have given a timeline of chrome release in september they will block all flash content period, just like they did with java.
ie: there will be no option to run flash at all.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Puffin and Osmia
It will be interesting to see how MFC will handle this.
Yes it will.

Surprising that MFC is not already on HTML5 video, given that Apple's iOS has not supported flash since 2010 and that in November 2014 MFC said "We are working on making this[working without flash] possible in the future."

Consider how much pain SM just went through finishing it's conversion to HTML5. I switching to using firefox on SM just to stay flash longer because all the HTML5 problems.All the sites still rely on flash for C2C connection and not sure how they are going to move away from that.

In the development part of switching media interactive content to html5 for the level mfc is on, it is a huge task. But considering the income mfc has it is realistic to expect a change, but it looks like they will be down to the wire.

Reactions: Puffin
Chaturbate has fully working html 5 cam streams, disable flash and go check it out.

Consider how much pain SM just went through finishing it's conversion to HTML5. I switching to using firefox on SM just to stay flash longer because all the HTML5 problems.All the sites still rely on flash for C2C connection and not sure how they are going to move away from that.
Did Streamate go back to flash?

Cant you opt into flash with Chrome?

You can but it takes some setting changes and eventually it will be HTML5 only so easier to just switch browsers for the time being. The HTML mode isn't bad just isn't the optimal choice yet depending on what you do in shows. Like C2C has a large delay and the text box is much smaller and harder to read. If you're just queing gold shows all day I don't see the HTML5 site being a problem.

That will enable parts of the site that are still flash exclusive to work (like the thumbnail preview on the front page) but won't force the site back into flash mode completely. Firefox actually puts the site back into flash mode.

This is HTML5 mode

This is Flash mode

• Helpful!
You can but it takes some setting changes and eventually it will be HTML5 only so easier to just switch browsers for the time being. The HTML mode isn't bad just isn't the optimal choice yet depending on what you do in shows. Like C2C has a large delay and the text box is much smaller and harder to read. If you're just queing gold shows all day I don't see the HTML5 site being a problem.

That will enable parts of the site that are still flash exclusive to work (like the thumbnail preview on the front page) but won't force the site back into flash mode completely. Firefox actually puts the site back into flash mode.

This is HTML5 mode

This is Flash mode

What about Opera and Safari?

So I'm running Chrome 60, I've blocked Flash, I have no exceptions set for Flash, and the flag is set to prefer HTML over Flash... yet I still see nothing but Flash video on CB.

• Helpful!
last week mfc posted to their wiki a new page regarding flash.
http://wiki.myfreecams.com/wiki/Flash
since its short, I'll quote the whole thing

Adobe Flash Media Player is currently required to broadcast streams and watch streams on the desktop site of MyFreeCams.com.

Flash is being gradually phased out and we will be switching to newer forms of encoding and streaming.

We will post updates here that are important during the transition.

Chrome Web Browser
The Chrome Web Browser will be among the first to phase out the use of Flash and in the meantime it is important to learn how to turn Flash back on in the browser.

If you are having issues getting Flash to work in Chrome, please do the following:

1. Type: chrome://flags/#prefer-html-over-flash in your Chrome address bar, and then select Disable.
  2. Type: chrome://flags/#run-all-flash-in-allow-mode in your Chrome address bar, and then select Enable.

Your correct. I'm testing chrome 58 under linux and i see about:plugins no longer works and you have to do it via settings/show advanced settings/content settings

Done this and cleared cache and cookies even checked chrome://flags/#prefer-html-over-flash setting

This is a chrome bug i just tested chaturbate and livejasmin on firefox with no flash and i get the html sites

• Helpful!
Reactions: Puffin and rstanton
Only if you leave the browser set to mobile. Ushally just set browser to mobile, goto mfc, then set it back to normal.

• Helpful!
Here is just an FYI for anyone interested in the official announcement of Flash's demise that will occur on December 31, 2020...

https://www.cnet.com/news/adobe-kills-flash-web-browser-tech-2020/

From the article: "In three and a half years, Adobe will stop developing and distributing Flash, said Govind Balakrishnan, vice president of product development for Adobe's Creative Cloud Ecosystem."

How different browsers will handle Flash:

Chrome: Google's browser began asking us for permission to run Flash on some websites last year, and it'll do so more often and later disable Flash by default. "We will remove Flash completely from Chrome toward the end of 2020," Google said.

Firefox: Mozilla's browser will start asking you in August which sites you want to enable Flash on, it'll disable Flash altogether by default in 2019, and there will be lingering support through the end of 2020 only in Firefox's less frequently updated Extended Support Release.

Edge: The newest version of Microsoft's browser uses a click-to-run option that asks if you want to run Flash on a website, a policy that will continue through mid-2018. The company's older Internet Explorer browser won't give you any grief. In mid-2018, Edge will be more aggressive about requiring you to authorize Flash. In 2019, Microsoft will disable Flash by default, and by the end of 2020, Microsoft will disable it completely in both browsers.

Safari: Last year, Apple's Safari started blocking Flash from running. If you really want it, you can re-enable it on websites that offer to download Flash, an action Safari notices and that will give you an offer to run Flash for the site.

SM switched their main pages thumbnail previews to pure HTML5 about a week ago. The only thing left that's flash is C2C activations. However almost all their affiliate sites still use the original flash settings and you can opt to switch between the flash and HTML5 version on firefox.

Status
Not open for further replies.