AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Found by a real life acquaintance

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LylacDoll

Cam Model
Jul 8, 2017
Midwest, United States
MFC Username
LylacDoll
So my first night camming went really well, and with being new, and lots of self-promotion, I climbed through CB's front page ranks pretty well (in my opinion), which I was glad to do. But now I have a slight problem that I'm not sure how to deal with.

You see, I was expecting it to take at least a week to be found by anyone I actually know in real life--the internet is a big place, and I've never seen anyone I know on a camsite. But, what do you know? Woke up the next morning being followed on my work instagram by a guy I met years ago. Never really hung out, but run in similar circles to a degree.

I suspect he found me through the camsite, and then followed my instagram, and is probably following me on other things with other usernames (their instagram is personal so I immediately knew it was them by their pictures). They haven't said anything to me, and I don't even know if they really recognize it is me. But they'd be a fool if they didn't (I don't go to any lengths to disguise my appearance).

And I guess, it's not that I mind him following me, but at the same time, it feels like I have somehow invaded his privacy, since it's not like most people will talk about watching camgirls, and now I know a bit more than I'd like to know. Not to mention, through other information sources, I know there's a really good chance just due to appearance/demeanor, it's likely he would become a regular.

I can't just block him on the site because I don't know his username on there. I don't want to message him on insta in case he still hasn't put two and two together. But then again, on top of someone in my real life knowing something they perceive as leverage, I now have a person potentially interacting with my social media who has information about places I like to go, cities I've lived, and some other sensitive personal information, and I would hate to see someone accidentally doxxing me basically, just cause they're not thinking.

Am I overthinking this? Should I just leave it alone, keep going about my business as if he's not there and stop worrying? I guess it was a bit silly of me to expect that it wouldn't immediately happen, but I really wasn't expecting it to happen that fast, after just one show. I think I'm more concerned about my online viewers finding out too much about me, than the people I know in real life finding out what I do since they aren't the ones paying my bills.

It isn't foolproof, but you could try blocking your state on CB. And I'm not very familiar with Instagram, but can you block him from following you on there?

I would block him on instagram right away. If he has friends you know on his friendslist=even more exposure. He may not doxx you but who knows about other people in the social circle.

In my experience, guys who find a camgirl they know in real life rarely tip or anything so you can always set up your room so only guys with tokens can talk. Anytime I've been outed by a member in my room on chaturbate it was always a gray member saying my real name or something like that. If you suspect he's one of your paying regulars I wouldn't really address it unless he made it known who he was and then I'd most likely block him after that. It's like guys who know you in real life can't help but be weird when they find out you're a camgirl and I just don't trust them with that info/access to me. I have no male friends now because every one of them got creepy on me over it.

Try a google search for him and then block any states he might be located in (linkedin is helpful to see where people might be working). I don't do instagram, but I would think you could make it private. It might hurt your online social status, but, if you are worried about it then a lockdown on all social media might be a good thing.

Try a google search for him and then block any states he might be located in (linkedin is helpful to see where people might be working). I don't do instagram, but I would think you could make it private. It might hurt your online social status, but, if you are worried about it then a lockdown on all social media might be a good thing.

Well, I know his state--I mean, like I said above, I know him in real life. Though I was under the impression, geoblocking affects placement since users that aren't logged in can't view you, regardless of location. Or was that just Streamate? I'll have to look into that further because I could be mistaken.

I would block him on instagram right away. If he has friends you know on his friendslist=even more exposure. He may not doxx you but who knows about other people in the social circle.

In my experience, guys who find a camgirl they know in real life rarely tip or anything so you can always set up your room so only guys with tokens can talk. Anytime I've been outed by a member in my room on chaturbate it was always a gray member saying my real name or something like that. If you suspect he's one of your paying regulars I wouldn't really address it unless he made it known who he was and then I'd most likely block him after that. It's like guys who know you in real life can't help but be weird when they find out you're a camgirl and I just don't trust them with that info/access to me. I have no male friends now because every one of them got creepy on me over it.

I think I'll probably do that--just block him if he makes it known who he is, and go on without addressing it until then. Honestly, in terms of people in real life, I'm super picky about the people I keep around me, and most have been aware of my plans to start camming for months now, so now that I've started it's not big deal or news. It just is. So I really appreciate that.

• Hugs
Reactions: Carmita Bonita
If you haven't already, make your IG profile private. From there, determine if it's better to block him there and face the chance he might comment to someone about how you did it after he saw you on cam.

If you haven't already, make your IG profile private. From there, determine if it's better to block him there and face the chance he might comment to someone about how you did it after he saw you on cam.
My instagram and twitter are designed for social media marketing. Making them private would entirely defeat that purpose. I am willing to trade degrees of privacy for a larger customer base. If I wasn't I wouldn't do this.

That said, my state is now geoblocked. :)

Reactions: SatanJonez
My instagram and twitter are designed for social media marketing. Making them private would entirely defeat that purpose. I am willing to trade degrees of privacy for a larger customer base. If I wasn't I wouldn't do this.

That said, my state is now geoblocked. :)

For some reason, I was thinking non-camming work when I typed it. But, yes, makes sense

I wouldn't necessarily assume that he found you on the site, because instagram and other social media sites are very interested in linking your various accounts to each other and suggesting your new profiles to your acquaintances.

Instagram is notorious for this, it's very possible you were just suggested to him on IG. I had to close mine recently after years because the new system for suggesting people is crazy invasive and just kept suggesting my family members

Ugh that sucks. I really like having mainstream platforms to put things out on. I was super careful about not linking accounts or even following real life people who know what I do. Sucks that instagram pulls that >.<

Even if you have separate account for social media, if you ever use those accounts on the same smartphone there is a high likelyhood they will be linked together and contacts from one account will show up as recommendations on the other one.
Check the permissions, you will see that most (if not all) social media apps want access to your contacts.

Even if you have separate account for social media, if you ever use those accounts on the same smartphone there is a high likelyhood they will be linked together and contacts from one account will show up as recommendations on the other one.
Check the permissions, you will see that most (if not all) social media apps want access to your contacts.
Hmm, went back and checked, and it doesn't have contact permissions, but considering how sneaky Facebook is (since they own insta) I wouldn't be surprised if they got around that :/

Hmm, went back and checked, and it doesn't have contact permissions, but considering how sneaky Facebook is (since they own insta) I wouldn't be surprised if they got around that :/

Facebook is the worst privacy invader of all. Have you ever noticed that when you talk to someone on your cell phone, days or weeks later their Facebook profile mysteriously appears in the list of profiles for you to consider adding? Facebook is inspecting your phone address book and probably matching the phone numbers for your contacts to the phones in its registered user database. That's the only thing I can speculate might allow them to make these associations.

There is a lot to be said for separation of social media profiles, not only different e-mails, but different Google Chrome browser users to separate your family-friends identity from your job as a webcam girl.

Reactions: Booty_4U
Facebook is the worst privacy invader of all. Have you ever noticed that when you talk to someone on your cell phone, days or weeks later their Facebook profile mysteriously appears in the list of profiles for you to consider adding? Facebook is inspecting your phone address book and probably matching the phone numbers for your contacts to the phones in its registered user database. That's the only thing I can speculate might allow them to make these associations.

There is a lot to be said for separation of social media profiles, not only different e-mails, but different Google Chrome browser users to separate your family-friends identity from your job as a webcam girl.
Well, yeah...if you have the app on your phone that's a permission you get it (it's clearly stated as call logs). That I have less of a problem with--it's clearly written out, and a permission I have given them. Instagram suggesting my profile to people from an unlinked account? Yeah, not OK.

Reactions: Smores
I need a tinfoil hat maybe, but I don't trust apps (especially huge corporations like Facebook) to completely protect my privacy error-free. They've changed privacy settings before without people realizing. I think personal identity (especially camgirls) is important enough to not trust to a simple toggle button on an app. Instagram seems to be one of the worst social networks for camgirls (privacy-wise and "worth the effort" wise); most girls seem to use Twitter, Tumblr, and Snapchat.

All the privacy concerns is one of the major reasons why I dumped my FB profiles (I had two). I deleted both accounts, which I'm sure FB just deactivates without actually deleting as they said... It's bad enough to be on a Google phone, which is also a giant abuser of personal privacy issues. But, add to it all the stuff FB does, no way. I'm done.

I would recommend if you're going to use social media to promote yourself, and don't want to have your personal life mix with your cam life, get two completely separate phones. One for each life. This way, you can also keep your personal number private. Also, shutdown all tracking capabilities of Snapchat, Fcebook, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.