AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Hardware Upgrade Cumming Soon...and Questions **excited**

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LenaSexton

Inactive Cam Model
May 4, 2016
California
Twitter Username
@Lena_Buttafly
MFC Username
LovelyLena
Streamate Username
LenaSexton
TGIF!!!! I am sooooo excited. Next week I will finally be upgrading my computer. At first I thought I would need a faster processor to better manage programs like OBS and so forth, but since my previous issues were primarily with lack of disk space and memory we have decided to upgrade that first. I will be going from 8GB memory to 16GB memory and a 500GB HD to a 1TB HD!!! 🤩 If I still feel l need a faster processor after these upgrades, then I will change that out early next year. I'm feeling highly optimistic that this will solve the problems I was having with my computer freezing when I would try to use OBS.

Questions...
My current hard drive is still good (500GB ). I should be able to turn it into a secondary hard drive right? Even though I primarily use cloud storage I would like to be able to still have a backup of my content on a hard drive. Would you recommend partitioning the newly installed hard drive or no? Like many cam girls I dabble in graphic design, photo editing and video editing, so it will be nice to do all this without worrying about my computer freezing! I would be using programs like Adobe Photoshop, Premiere, InDesign, OBS among others that I may try out now that my system will have the capacity to handle them. 🤩🤩🤩

Very nice, and good luck with the upgrade. If you haven't ordered the HDD yet, I'd go with SSD over spinning disk. Though, I think you said you were doing it anyway?

As to using the old drive as a secondary local storage, by all means do it if you have the space inside the system. You might need to get another cable and mounting hardware. But, that's a minor issue. I use a second local drive for backups as well as push to cloud. It's faster for local storage and you may not get hit with exceeding bandwidth.

Not sure if you're going to do a fresh install or just do a direct transfer from old to new disk. Pros and cons to each. Same with doing more than the single partition. On Windows, I just go one one large one unless the vendor does a recovery partition.

SSD's last a lot longer than HDDs when being accessed multiple times daily, and work faster for OS and software. Samsung 860 Evo and Crucial MX500 are the best you get for a reasonable price.

Definitely keep the HDD. Always good to have a drive to backup everything important.

• Helpful!
Reactions: LenaSexton
Just keep in mind that HDDs are mechanical devices and have a finite lifespan. Don't assume it will hold your backup forever, especially if you do periodic backups to it.
Personally I put all my backups into Backblaze B2 via [the backup program] Duplicati, but although B2 is very cheap ($0.005/GB/month), it's still a paid service. I have no affiliation with them.

Just keep in mind that HDDs are mechanical devices and have a finite lifespan. Don't assume it will hold your backup forever, especially if you do periodic backups to it.
Personally I put all my backups into Backblaze B2 via [the backup program] Duplicati, but although B2 is very cheap ($0.005/GB/month), it's still a paid service. I have no affiliation with them.

Yep, it's why I use a local drive for short term backup and faster access and cloud is more for archival (still backed up via auto sync). But, there's always a chance for drive failure.

• Helpful!
Reactions: LenaSexton
Status
Not open for further replies.