AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

How long did it take before you were recognized?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 11, 2016
Twitter Username
@LadyJustice_MFC
MFC Username
LadyJusticeTM
I was recognized on my second day of camming, and I even had my specific regions blocked. How long did it take before you were recognized by someone who knew you? What was their relation, and how did it make you feel?

I've been doing this 4 years, never been recognized. I also live in a major city so I'm kind of shocked but if someone did know who I was they never approached me.

I've been doing this 4 years, never been recognized. I also live in a major city so I'm kind of shocked but if someone did know who I was they never approached me.

Wow! Someone from my high school on the other side of the country recognized me. :wideyed:

• Sorry to hear that.
Reactions: Kitt3NextDoor
About two years and it was my husband's childhood best friend who had never met me before, but had been banned from my cam room for being an fuck ass. Since then no one has actually come out and said they recognize me. For being an online SWer for almost 8 years, that ain't too bad.

I'm still a newbie. So far nobody has recognized me, or they haven't come forth.

I'm a member of a very small community, so I'm expecting to be recognized eventually though.

I had my region blocked when I first started camming and I was still recognized on day 2 by an ex-roommate who had moved to another part of the country.

I wasn't surprised, really. I've never excelled at keeping secret identities. ;P

About 3 months. The first few people who found me were cool. Then my creepy neighbour found me and things all got a bit scary.

I'm not sure exactly how long it was, but the first time I knew I had been recognized was when I told one of my friends that I had been camming for the last year, and her boyfriend said "I TOLD YOU!" He told me a site had used my image to promote them.

At first I thought he was pulling my leg, because he's kind of a joker, but sure enough he had a screencap...thanks SM. >.<'

At least they were nice in waiting until I told them to mention it.

Someone that I played WoW with for a couple years found me around month 3. I had never met him in person, but our guild had exchanged MySpace pages and such, so he knew what I looked like. Fortunately he only called me by my character's name when he came in my room, then we chatted in PM and had a good laugh about it. Funny that it was him, cuz he had a bit of a crush on me since the first time we were all on Vent together while raiding. :) He got his wish to see me naked haha!

About a year ago someone from HS sent me a DM on twitter saying he'd seen me on MFC. We chatted about it, caught up a little bit, I asked him to not discuss it as it's a security issue, he said a couple of friends also knew. I offered him a couple free pic sets, then the bastard had the audacity to ask for free videos! Psssh, nah bro.

That's pretty much the extent of being recognized as far as I know. I've been at this almost 6.5 years so I'll take it.

Last week I had an acquaintance send a screenshot to my best friend who redirected it to me. This was the first encounter I had of someone acknowledging my cam modeling and it came back to me. We had a good minute laugh. I'm positive that there are many people who recognize me from all the sites that I've worked on, to it being capped and put on other places, just no one has cared enough to personally message me or try to contact me and say hey I saw you're a nudey model, lol. I'm going on year 4 in the SW industry and very grateful I haven't had problems...yet.

I had someone "recognize" me in my first week or so, when I was a noob who gave out her location, and they tried to guess which highschool I went to based on the town I was living in as an adult - so they guessed every school in town while I laughed and said "no" to each one, because I never went to school in this town.

However, it's worth noting that I seem to have a million doppelgangers. I've had strangers come up to me, insisting that they know me, since before I started camming.

Reactions: SandyPanz
I'm not a model, i'm just an MFC patron

Years ago, I was part of an internet chat room where you have a webcam option to show your face. One girl who i befriended in the chatroom appeared on MFC one day to my surprise. I never approached her about it and she doesn't know i discovered her to this day, but i get the feeling other people from the chatroom may have found her. She never lasted long on MFC though.

Then from the same chatroom, i discovered one of the regular dudes was also an MFC member since he uses the same distinguishable username on both websites. I also remember his age and where he's from, and low and behold; his MFC profile stated both. I never approached him about that either because frankly i didn't like the guy since he tends to be a fucking dick.

Last edited:
A few months after I started someone in my room said they saw me walking home from the grocery store (and were correct). Then someone from my boyfriend at the time's social circle mentioned to me he saw me online a few months after that. And then my face was all over Facebook when I did the cracked article so I was getting a ton of messages from high school peeps. A couple months ago someone recognized me at the Renaissance faire and called me Veronica. And a regular recognized me on the strip but we had already met at the afterparty so that was more like running into a cam friend. I'm probably forgetting some. I've been around awhile and I'm not secretive about my job haha.

When I was on facebook I was in a group. The administrator of our group told us that she is a webcam model on AdultWork. The name she used for her Facebook account was her real name. I still dont understand why she chose not to keep her camming secret and why she was so open about it.

I still dont understand why she chose not to keep her camming secret and why she was so open about it.

I'm super open with the people in my life about my job. For my first year, I lied to everyone but 3 people about it. It tormented me so much. These days, I keep my social circle very small, but there's not a single person in it who doesn't know. My parents and brother all know. I don't associate with anyone I went to HS with but I wouldn't care if they all knew. I just ran out of fucks to give a long time ago. Lying takes work, I don't have time for that.

She's probably open about it because lying to everyone about a massive part of your life is hella stressful. Some people decide it's necessary to lie, some people say "Fuck it, here's the truth, take it or leave it." If someone can't accept my life, they don't need to be in my life. I don't disclose my job on my FB or whatever, but if I'm directly asked about it, I tell the truth. It's just simpler that way.

Attaching your legal name to your cam persona is another thing, no doubt. But to some people, being open about your job just isn't a big deal.

I got only positive kind of ,,recognition,, on mfc, when a really cool member said the book I have in my wishlist is great and he has a pdf of it, we've found out we had same hobbies and eventually that we also have real life friends in common. He was totally cool and supportive and sent me the pdf of that book :)We agreed that none of us wants the mfc membership discussed with our common friends:)
The 2nd time I got recognized was really negative,but it was my stupidity, shooting some vanilla videos and pictures for a website which then advertised it everywhere,also in my country, so someone I don't know wrote me on my personal facebook that our common friend is concerned about me and how bad it is that I'm a ,,prostitute,, (no idea how he'd come up with such bullshit,the vids were all solo,max. showing some pink). I just blocked him, but I still don't know who the common friend was and I tend not to trust people so much since then..It's kinda scary that he has those pics and he could decide to post them on my wall so all my friends would see them ( I got very tight settings on fb about who can post and who can see my friends and so on, but still..).I hope he just doesn't have any reason to do that..

How many people get recognised but not told... it isn't something I'd run off to tell others or the person themselves (personally).
I wonder this about my situation sometimes, too. I can never decide if I'd rather know or not know, especially if it's someone I'm familiar with online. If it's a complete stranger that I've never even interacted with on MFC, I don't see the point in them telling me, I guess.

That actually did happen a couple years ago. A guy who had apparently watched me for a long while but I had never spoken to saw me out in public. Came into my chatroom and almost let out too much information in public chat, I quickly got him into PM to finish the conversation. Unfortunately he was incredibly socially unaware and kept ignoring my requests to stop bringing it up and asking me to meet up with him at said location (his excuse was Aspergers, understandable, but still frustrating). What was the result? I never went back to the place he saw me again, even though it was somewhere I used to frequent and enjoy. And I eventually ended up putting him on perma-ban and ignore.

Moral of that story? I dunno, I guess that in many situations no good can come from telling the cam girl. Maybe if you already have an established good online relationship with them and they don't have to worry about you being a creep about it, but then again, creeps rarely realize how creepy they are.

I wonder this about my situation sometimes, too. I can never decide if I'd rather know or not know, especially if it's someone I'm familiar with online.

I've often wondered how best to handle recognising a cam girl oot and aboot in the real world and whether it would be best to shoot them a quick PM saying "hey, I saw you in so-and-so!" or whether it would be better to never tell them. The former risks weirding them out and possibly even making them feel they have to avoid that place, but the latter feels almost like lying, especially if there's the chance of bumping in to the model again and again (if they frequent the same location as you for example).

Someone from my school recognized me. That was just this year sooo a few years after I started camming. He very politely contacted me on Twitter, didn't publicly name the school, and was generally sweet & respectful about it. Basically just said "hey I'm pretty sure I've seen you on campus" and he's a cool dude so now we are friendly.

It made me a bit nervous at first but I think the vast majority of people are chill and I appreciated knowing, and that he was really discreet/understanding.

Oh and recently one of my regs saw me boarding an airplane! He messaged me later saying "was that you boarding flight XYZ?" Unfortunately we didn't get to chat but it was kind of cool and not a big deal.

I think a heads up and assurance that you understand the importance of privacy is nice. I was scared when that guy asked if he saw me on campus but he immediately followed up with explaining why he didn't say the school name publicly and saying that he understands I'd like to keep my location/school private from cam friends, and I'd like to keep my camming private from school friends. Knowing that gave me some peace of mind, especially since it's not like I can avoid campus, haha. Basically as long as the dude isn't being weird about it (which in my experience they haven't been!), I'd like to know.

It's also a good reminder to camgirls to be mindful of your behaviour publicly - for example, at Starbucks I give a fake name so when they call out "venti latte for Amber!", any lurkers won't know my real name. (Tbh this isn't just for cam purposes, i don't need my name yelled in a Starbucks, haha.) Just little things to keep in mind if you're worried about it.

Someone from my school recognized me. That was just this year sooo a few years after I started camming. He very politely contacted me on Twitter, didn't publicly name the school, and was generally sweet & respectful about it. Basically just said "hey I'm pretty sure I've seen you on campus" and he's a cool dude so now we are friendly.

It made me a bit nervous at first but I think the vast majority of people are chill and I appreciated knowing, and that he was really discreet/understanding.

Oh and recently one of my regs saw me boarding an airplane! He messaged me later saying "was that you boarding flight XYZ?" Unfortunately we didn't get to chat but it was kind of cool and not a big deal.

I think a heads up and assurance that you understand the importance of privacy is nice. I was scared when that guy asked if he saw me on campus but he immediately followed up with explaining why he didn't say the school name publicly and saying that he understands I'd like to keep my location/school private from cam friends, and I'd like to keep my camming private from school friends. Knowing that gave me some peace of mind, especially since it's not like I can avoid campus, haha. Basically as long as the dude isn't being weird about it (which in my experience they haven't been!), I'd like to know.

It's also a good reminder to camgirls to be mindful of your behaviour publicly - for example, at Starbucks I give a fake name so when they call out "venti latte for Amber!", any lurkers won't know my real name. (Tbh this isn't just for cam purposes, i don't need my name yelled in a Starbucks, haha.) Just little things to keep in mind if you're worried about it.

I've been meaning to think of a pseudonym for places like Starbucks!

I agree about the heads up on the importance of privacy. Fortunately, the kid who recognized me would like his personal habits/hobbies maintained as a secret, and I can totally respect that and we seem to be in mutual agreement.

There's been a couple models I've seen here who I could swear I'd worked with back in my retail days, or at least they are are very similar in appearance to old coworkers. I haven't said anything to them, because the chances are really so astronomical that I don't feel like it's worth it.

Unfortunately he was incredibly socially unaware and kept ignoring my requests to stop bringing it up and asking me to meet up with him at said location (his excuse was Aspergers, understandable, but still frustrating). What was the result? I never went back to the place he saw me again, even though it was somewhere I used to frequent and enjoy. And I eventually ended up putting him on perma-ban and ignore.

Moral of that story? I dunno, I guess that in many situations no good can come from telling the cam girl. Maybe if you already have an established good online relationship with them and they don't have to worry about you being a creep about it, but then again, creeps rarely realize how creepy they are.
It was not his Aspergers. I have that. Even people with Aspergers know better than that.

It was not his Aspergers. I have that. Even people with Aspergers know better than that.
I've been told and have read/heard that some people who suffer from this have social issues and can have trouble realizing when things are inappropriate, etc. I would think not everyone is affected by it the same. Just because you don't (think you) have this problem doesn't mean others don't.

I've been told and have read/heard that some people who suffer from this have social issues and can have trouble realizing when things are inappropriate, etc. I would think not everyone is affected by it the same. Just because you don't (think you) have this problem doesn't mean others don't.
That's true, but the actual issue is more that us aspies don't take cues very well, not that we can't understand when someone is blatantly telling us something is wrong. On the contrary, that is the best way to communicate with us generally. Sounds like he was just clueless/an idiot and happened to have Aspergers as well. Like obviously if he was at the point where he knew to blame his Aspergers he would also know that what he was doing was out of line.

That's true, but the actual issue is more that us aspies don't take cues very well,
That's pretty much the part I was referring to, though. Instinctually others may realize that constantly bringing up this situation would be inappropriate without having to be blatantly told. I don't think it even crossed his mind that it would be uncomfortable for me, or why it would be bad to speak of it in my public chat room.

You know?

So when I blatantly told him to stop, he said he didn't realize and it was because he was an aspie (and then obviously became a clueless jerk and continued anyway.)

Last edited:
  • Helpful!
Reactions: VeronicaChaos
I offered him a couple free pic sets, then the bastard had the audacity to ask for free videos! Psssh, nah bro.

Yo dude remember me? We went to school together, I see you are a roofer now. How about you shimmy on up mine and redo it for free, while I go get my cousin's old roommate to fix the transmission on my truck. I hope he doesn't take too long my mother's neighbor just opened a restaurant and I am going to hit her up for some lobster.

Status
Not open for further replies.