AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

How often do you move your camera around?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiki Jane

Cam Model
Aug 30, 2016
Hey, I am brannnd new to camming, and one thing I am struggling with is something really basic... Camera placement. I have an external webcam, and it is pretty good but I cannot stop moving it around. I find it is really hard to have my face in focus, and then if I want to stand up and show myself, I have to move the whole camera and attach it to something else, and if I want to show me in bed that is another adjustment. I feel so awkward, like a shy girl who keeps twirling her hair! Visually, I think my stream comes off like old MTV.

Is camera placement just something I will have to discover for myself, or are there any tips? For example, should I have one setup for sitting and chatting, and then a second setup for bed stuff, and then stop moving my damn camera around all the time?

I have one set up for each. I don't move my cam unless I'm going private or have been in one position too long. It takes some time to get the angles that work best for you. I wouldn't worry about it too much just try and stay in one spot lol

Putting it on a tripod so you can just pan/tilt the tripod is helpful to many - use the webcam preview available before you broadcast to test out your angles. Some webcams have a spot on the bottom you can screw them onto a tripod with, if not, using a hair tie or duct tape to secure it (depending on if you want temporary or permanent attachment) also works.

I have it on a mini tripod with these cool flexible leg thingies that I can attach to things. Right now I have it on a chair and I can tilt it up or down or swivel it a bit. A tripod or something that I can easily adjust to be tall or short would be the bomb!

Reactions: angieivy
I move the camera around every 10 minutes or so because changing the angle makes your room more dynamic than having a fixed cam. Figure out 5 or 6 different cam spots that feature your best angles depending on what you want to show, learn them, and use them often. That way you can avoid fiddling with it too much.

The camera is the members eyes. As a model you get to choose what we see and how we get to look at you.
Those models who can move the camera over themselves as we want to look at them are true mistresses of the game. Only seeing it through your members eyes will you get it right. This is why communication with your members is so important.

There are some standard cam views you should learn, some angles that are more flattering or sexy than others, but they are easy to communicate.
I usually have more trouble with wrong spacing than the angle though. I have always found showing the right personal space makes all the difference to a realistic moment. I highly recommend learning to differentiate and to visually express public, private, personal and intimate space.

Well, it depends on what site and what kinds of shows you're doing. When I work on Streamate I just sit at my computer until I get a private show. So I have my camera on a tripod behind and above my monitor, pointing down at me. I usually also have it zoomed in so it's showing basically just what my avatar here shows, head to boobs. When I get a show, I move it accordingly. So for a striptease I zoom out my cam, maybe tilt it just slightly, but it's mostly in the right spot. If I need an angle from the floor pointing up for a femdom show I have a quick release attachment for my tripod so I can easily move the camera to the floor in just a few seconds.

Play around with angles while not broadcasting so you get a feel for where you need to put your camera to show various parts of your body. Rarely will you need to have your whole self in the frame. When you find the right spots, make note. Put tape down on the floor so you know just where to move your cam.
And invest in a tripod. Something like this will make things sooo much easier. Get one that extends at least 60" high.
https://www.amazon.com/Ravelli-APLT...ie=UTF8&qid=1472650891&sr=1-2&keywords=tripod

Perhaps other members can comment. I usually find myself fighting the barrel (between leg view) when pvt.
In public chat it is all about framing (model too low on cam with empty space above her or alternatively hiding her face).

Well, it depends on what site and what kinds of shows you're doing. When I work on Streamate I just sit at my computer until I get a private show. So I have my camera on a tripod behind and above my monitor, pointing down at me. I usually also have it zoomed in so it's showing basically just what my avatar here shows, head to boobs. When I get a show, I move it accordingly. So for a striptease I zoom out my cam, maybe tilt it just slightly, but it's mostly in the right spot. If I need an angle from the floor pointing up for a femdom show I have a quick release attachment for my tripod so I can easily move the camera to the floor in just a few seconds.

Play around with angles while not broadcasting so you get a feel for where you need to put your camera to show various parts of your body. Rarely will you need to have your whole self in the frame. When you find the right spots, make note. Put tape down on the floor so you know just where to move your cam.
And invest in a tripod. Something like this will make things sooo much easier. Get one that extends at least 60" high.
https://www.amazon.com/Ravelli-APLT...ie=UTF8&qid=1472650891&sr=1-2&keywords=tripod

Thank you! I will get a tripod like that. I want to be able to move between chatroom and show angles in an elegant way.

Great advice, this is the kind of freedom and control I am looking for!

I tried the tripod thing and it didn' work for me due to me strugglign to focus on chat AND look at the camera at the same time. I solved this by keeping my camera on my laptop and using a laptop cart that's very very mobile. It is on wheels and can adjust up and down. I cam on MFC and move my camera around a lot. I also grab it and put it lower on the floor from time to time for a fun angle.

I tried the tripod thing and it didn' work for me due to me strugglign to focus on chat AND look at the camera at the same time. I solved this by keeping my camera on my laptop and using a laptop cart that's very very mobile. It is on wheels and can adjust up and down. I cam on MFC and move my camera around a lot. I also grab it and put it lower on the floor from time to time for a fun angle.
This is what I used to do and it worked super well! I only wish the carts went up a bit higher; the ones I tried never got quite high enough for standing which was annoying. I'm sure they make better ones that do that are more expensive though.

Reactions: Kiki Jane
This is what I used to do and it worked super well! I only wish the carts went up a bit higher; the ones I tried never got quite high enough for standing which was annoying. I'm sure they make better ones that do that are more expensive though.
Agreed! I will sometimes use an extra box to raise the computer a bit higher.

Putting it on a tripod so you can just pan/tilt the tripod is helpful

I know a lot of girls do this, but I feel it only works if you aren't up against a wall.

Figure out 5 or 6 different cam spots that feature your best angles depending on what you want to show, learn them, and use them often. That way you can avoid fiddling with it too much.

This is the best way to minimize the whole shy girl look/feel. It just takes some time to figure out what makes you feel comfortable/sexy. I've been camming a long time though and I still fiddle every time the room gets slow. I have a desktop PC and not a laptop so that adds to the difficulty. Ideally you would want to do what @Miss_Lollipop suggested.

I tried the tripod thing and it didn' work for me due to me strugglign to focus on chat AND look at the camera at the same time. I solved this by keeping my camera on my laptop and using a laptop cart that's very very mobile.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Kiki Jane
Fantastic advice, everyone :) Now if I can get a member to buy me a hot and sexy laptop cart ;)

I was thinking about you while I was camming, and I had a second thought.... my main attraction so to speak is my huge ass, so honestly I am moving the camera around SO much. I often ask myself the same question you're asking, but I try and tune it out, and recommend you do the same. Overthinking will show on cam, you have to do what comes natural to you. Guys are in your room because they like YOU, and they will usually tell you their favorite parts about you, which pretty much verifies that they like when you move the camera around to show off their favorite parts. For some guys it's eyes, others tits, some are there to talk, and the list goes on and on. Obviously you can't give a good show if you stay stationary all the time. So move freely girl!

Good luck! :h:

I was thinking about you while I was camming, and I had a second thought.... my main attraction so to speak is my huge ass, so honestly I am moving the camera around SO much. I often ask myself the same question you're asking, but I try and tune it out, and recommend you do the same. Overthinking will show on cam, you have to do what comes natural to you. Guys are in your room because they like YOU, and they will usually tell you their favorite parts about you, which pretty much verifies that they like when you move the camera around to show off their favorite parts. For some guys it's eyes, others tits, some are there to talk, and the list goes on and on. Obviously you can't give a good show if you stay stationary all the time. So move freely girl!

Good luck! :h:

Thanks! I've been focusing most on face/boobs because that's what they ask for. Sometimes when I get new people in the room, though, I stand up and walk around for a moment b/c I'm new and I want them to see me. Plus, I feel too boring/awkward sitting there (though I know a lot of people do sit until they get a private, and that's totally fine). But I've stopped fiddling with the camera constantly :)

hi, from a long time members perspective .... be careful when the cam is sitting on or too close to the laptop. The thumping of the keys vibrates right thru the screen to the cam and thus, its very distracting, to the point we can't hear you talk very well unless you are pretty loud. same holds for music and speakers.
Most better tripods have whats called a quick release base. This will allow you to simply flip a lever, pick it up [base attached] and move the cam to another tripod and location without messing with half a minute worth of screw. My fav camgirl used 3 in her room with good success. If you want a roller table for the laptop and want the cam close to the screen but its not hi enough, get a monopod [one leg tripod] and you can zip tie it to one of the vertical legs or supports behind the screen. This will allow you to easily raise the cam to whatever height you prefer, be it chest, eye level, or looking down on you . :D

Status
Not open for further replies.