AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

How to avoid an ghost room?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoraSkyes

Inactive Cam Model
Jan 11, 2016
Midwest
profiles.myfreecams.com
Twitter Username
@SkyesNora
Tumblr Username
NoraSkyes
MFC Username
NoraSkyes
ManyVids URL
https://www.manyvids.com/Profile/1002424242/NoraSkyes/
When I log into MFC I will either have a nice night with participation and average tipping, or a dud night where my room is a ghost town with less then 10 people in it.

I try to engage with them, asking them about their nights/days and even plans they may have for the weekends and if that doesn't work I will try starting up a conversation on how they came up with usernames or such - just anything to get some participation. I also offer cheap things from my tip menu such as a spank or two and a chance draw but no one takes the bait.

As you can guess it ends up making my room feel very awkward as I am here practically talking to myself, unable to catch a few guys attention before they seemingly get bored and leave for some other models room. I generally will put up with it for a half hour but if that still doesn't work I smile, wish anyone who is in my room a good night before logging off.

Does anyone have this issue and is there any tips on how to fix it and get a bit of a more active and interested following?

I suspect almost all models have been there but few will have answers for you. You sound as if you are working at being positive when things turn bad on you, this is about all you can do.

A model's appeal is very much dependent on her mood and company. If either is missing then you will struggle. Your best solution is to solve the good company problem by finding regulars. Those one or two tippers can make a massive difference to a night, models who struggle less often have regulars.

The next best option is to find someone seriously interested in you, someone who can make being on worth it for you. For this you will need to be ready when the member is.
As this type I can warn you that they may never become regular, such members tend to chase opportunity as much as who they like. When you feel you have something really awesome to offer but it just isn't going your way, invite this type.

Another option is to stick at it and focus on meeting new members in hope of some future reward. Making friends is never a losing option long term.

Hopefully you can get some advice here on something more substantial. It must be boring and frustrating when this happens?

When I log into MFC I will either have a nice night with participation and average tipping, or a dud night where my room is a ghost town with less then 10 people in it.

I try to engage with them, asking them about their nights/days and even plans they may have for the weekends and if that doesn't work I will try starting up a conversation on how they came up with usernames or such - just anything to get some participation. I also offer cheap things from my tip menu such as a spank or two and a chance draw but no one takes the bait.

As you can guess it ends up making my room feel very awkward as I am here practically talking to myself, unable to catch a few guys attention before they seemingly get bored and leave for some other models room. I generally will put up with it for a half hour but if that still doesn't work I smile, wish anyone who is in my room a good night before logging off.

Does anyone have this issue and is there any tips on how to fix it and get a bit of a more active and interested following?

I went into your room when you posted this yesterday to see what was going on. I'm going to be blunt about this. This is coming from a customer, you don't have to agree but at the same time understand you lost money with me and I'm explaining why.

Within a few seconds of entering your room you were threatening to kick anyone lurking and not talking. You have the right to do whatever you want however as a person just browsing in, you come off as very hostile which isn't a good start. I would suggest if you feel someone is lurking just quietly kick the lurker and if they come back and ask why, well NOW you have someone talking with you at least. Anytime you make a blanket room threat you are talking to the premiums with token the same as the basics you may be actually threatening. So either make them precise to a specific person or just don't make them and take action. You don't owe anyone a warning in your room.

You have to remember people are paying you for entertainment. They aren't obligated to entertain you back. Sitting there smiling isn't going to be enough, "work" to win over people's tokens. This is opinion but getting upset at a lurker on MFC doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me in the first place since if they could just go in as a guest and you can't do anything about them, all you're accomplishing is giving off a bad vibe and chasing the few people away.

Now for business talk. You had nothing to spend tokens on. Your room goals were crushed together and confusing. You had no videos or things to sell. If I wanted to spend even 100 tokens I felt I would have gotten nothing for it. Maybe consider putting some more fun token things like karaoke singing or a cartwheel or something special that lets them give some tokens to get to know some of your personality.

@SMuser69 what you described could be just as much symptomatic as the cause. What you saw is the kind of thing models tend to do when they get frustrated by quiet rooms; threats, calling people out for their silence, later on it can get quite manipulative or predatory. Topics also get less thought out and they lose all their playfulness.
You make good points about the member experience in such rooms. Spending on a model in this type of mood would definitely be a risky move unless you feel you can improve that mood, then it can be very rewarding.

Having said this it is the model's job to ultimately find a solution, and to create a room that members want to interact in.
Some more practical examples may include using twitter/ public feeds to announce your arrival, pushing members towards public interactions, being consistent with your schedule, and rewarding every tip (even if just a thank-you).
Less practical may include something like using a model account to get things started, having special offers/ list of topics to drag out at slow times, or having a list of go to non-regular members you can invite to join you.

Well... I don't have useful suggestions but the one I'm thinking of is to allow basics to join the conversations, to interact. I for one, I'm a basic being from Romania I am not allowed to upgrade to premium on MyFreeCams.
Yes I know basics can be a pain, rude, cheap-ass-freeloaders and all those bad things models think about them (the reason for muting basics) but sometimes you don't know from which "corner" a tip can put a smile on your face or "spice-up your room" with some interesting conversation / subjects... no more ghost-town . That's my easiest suggestion.

Hi!
I am really new to caming myself on MFC and camming in general, lol. I find, like people are saying, that my mood can greatly effect the room and tips. I LOVE interacting with anyone in my room that chats. I feel more relaxed this way and it is more enjoyably on both mine and the members end. I normally talk about what is going on in my life or something funny that happened to me, if no one has anything to say. That being said, when the room starts to get quiet and it does, I just let everyone know I am logging off for a bit and will be back. I take like a 10-15 minute brake and hop back on. I feel refreshed and that in turn, seems to attract more tips and chatter from the members. I also like to randomly say hi to everyone in my room and tell them not to be shy and say hi :) I am not sure how much this has helped, but I wish you all the luck!

JennaVice

Well... I don't have useful suggestions but the one I'm thinking of is to allow basics to join the conversations, to interact. I for one, I'm a basic being from Romania I am not allowed to upgrade to premium on MyFreeCams.
Yes I know basics can be a pain, rude, cheap-ass-freeloaders and all those bad things models think about them (the reason for muting basics) but sometimes you don't know from which "corner" a tip can put a smile on your face or "spice-up your room" with some interesting conversation / subjects... no more ghost-town . That's my easiest suggestion.
There's a lot more to muting basics than just because they tend to be rude. Other, better reasons:

1. When girls are outed by someone in their room, 99% of the time it's a guest or basic. It's a security risk. Yeah, premiums can do that too, but there's a lot more accountability when someone has their credit card information associated with their account.

2. Lots of premiums will leave a room if guests or basics are talking. Some guys don't like them because they're rude, others don't like them because they feel that speaking is a right earned by upgrading. Sometimes it can make the slowness of a room even more apparent if it's full of basic/guest chatter.

I think if you have a slow room, the best thing to do is find activities to entertain yourself that might bring in viewers and will keep you online through the slow periods, while talking to yourself to encourage chatting.

I try to engage with them, asking them about their nights/days and even plans they may have for the weekends and if that doesn't work I will try starting up a conversation on how they came up with usernames or such

I think it's better to talk about yourself rather than ask people about themselves

On the whole guys are there because they're interested in you, not because they're interested in telling you about them

Try just talking about your day and see if people join in and ask questions and then maybe a conversation will get going

Just my theory anyway, maybe wont prove to be true in practice

ps. I can appreciate it is hard though, hopefully after a while you build up some nice regulars who are good to talk to

I think if you have a slow room, the best thing to do is find activities to entertain yourself that might bring in viewers and will keep you online through the slow periods, while talking to yourself to encourage chatting.

You can do all kinds of things on cam to get conversations going. I took apart my old bed frame and put the new one together on MFC, it brought in a lot of chat and some tippers, too. It was something different that you don't see very often, which made people more likely to pop in the room and ask questions.

Being a tad self centered is a HUGE plus if you are a cam model! It's one of the few places that being completely self absorbed and able to talk about yourself endlessly can be your ticket to success, Because you can just ramble ramble ramble during the slow periods about what the fuck ever your brain is musing.

I'm a very aware narcissist. I'm incredibly self conscious about it in off cam socializing but so grateful for my cam self because entertaining myself comes naturally.
So don't be afraid to just babble about yourself, explore your thoughts on subjects and the world. Did you watch a documentary last night? Tell everyone about it, how it made you feel and how it affected your world view... It sounds like what you are missing is regulars and what regulars are missing is the welcoming environment that makes joining feel comfortable and easy.

Okay I listened to all of the advice in this thread and I tried to dance around and be "entertaining". I danced for 12 minutes and it did okay but definitely didn't improve my room situation. Games to me are out of the question because I don't have enough traffic in my room to start one. It seems like the only way my room gets traffic is when I start touching myself and showing my ass.

Personally, I avoid a ghost room but inviting members on a journey with me. Since I am a non-nude domme and model; I try to entertain them more than sex them up. However, I try to be sexy as well and I wear very seductive clothes. However, I put on a show and make it entertaining. For example, I decided to put on a fan dance to 70s and 80s Afro-Latino/Caribbean/Funk/Disco music for my first day on Rude and CamContracts. I was greeting many that enter my rooms and they were suprised. I had a lot of customers enter my room and tip me because they never seen anything like it. Many of the older gentlemen recognized the songs that I was playing and it made them so happy. Frankly, the key is to be entertaining and sexy at the same time. I do not bother with trolls and cheapos because I throw them out after awhile.:cat:

• Helpful!
Reactions: Val Vega
Okay I listened to all of the advice in this thread and I tried to dance around and be "entertaining". I danced for 12 minutes and it did okay but definitely didn't improve my room situation. Games to me are out of the question because I don't have enough traffic in my room to start one. It seems like the only way my room gets traffic is when I start touching myself and showing my ass.

What I've learned is that between those periods of T&A, you have really got to be able to shoot the shit with people. Talk, talk, and talk some more. More and more my tokens come from just being cool with my regulars and they give them to me with no expectation of sexual gratification. You've got to get to know the people that come into your room and talk about interesting stuff with them. Engage them and they will be engaged by you.

I'm new, but about half of my tips come from just getting to know members and the other half comes from tips for specific requests/games.

Reactions: Bunni
Okay so probably the best advice I got from this forum is to SMILE. is2g I was in my MFC room with Yuri On Ice (anime) in the background to keep me smiling and I had a lot more people in my room engaging. I think the thing is that you have to be approachable and you can't really be approachable with a zombie look on your face (like I did before). Even if you're doing nothing, just smile and be nice and cute ^^

It helps to remember that many members on MFC may be shy, awkward, non-English speakers, etc. Many members don't want to talk about themselves or be the center of conversation, especially in a cold room. It puts a lot of pressure on them. An example might be like you go to a comedy show and the comedian points to you and starts asking you questions. Some people would enjoy the attention, but some people would want to shrink away.

It's fine to ask directed questions to a member if he's already chatting in the window, but I don't think it's effective to talk to silent members to try to get them to start chatting.

It would be best if you can talk as if you are putting on a one-woman show as opposed to having a conversation with the other members. Check out other rooms and you'll often find that the model is talking on and on and just optionally including member's comments occasionally. It's clear that they can keep talking even if the members didn't say anything. It also helps if you talk about things that members could add relevant comments here and there rather than being more like a one-on-one conversation.

An example might be: So guys, my dog is acting sick and my friend says she has allergies and needs benadryl, but I'm not sure. I took her to the vet yesterday and saw the coolest motorcycle on the way. I want a motorcycle! I'd probably kill myself, but I don't care. The vet was crazy busy so I just took my dog for a walk. We went to starbucks and I got a coffee. It was 5 bucks! for coffee! I hate them but my sucky town doesn't have any decent coffee stores. I want to move to a cool indie town where everyone is chill.... etc etc

You can see there are lots of topics that members can easily comment on, and if they don't, you can just keep going. If they do comment, acknowledge and incorporate as appropriate, but don't make it a one-on-one interaction. For example, if I commented that Honda motorcycles are good for beginners, don't say something like "NickT, which model should I get", since that directs the conversation to just me. Other members won't feel like they can comment since you are asking a question specifically to me. Rather, make it more open-ended where all members feel free to comment. Say something like "So I should look at Hondas?", which encourages all members to put forth their opinions.

This sounds like me too. I want tips on this too. I think I have done okay though when it get quite but I have more to learn,

I really like members from here to be able to come in my room and then give me feedback. My show last night was my best and shortest show yet, I have one regular who is has always tipped me and taken me private 3 times in my 5 broadcasts, but I also just chat a lot to him in the chat room too.

First, I want to thank everyone for all the time you have given this thread and for all your kind and helpful advice. It honestly helps quite a bit! I think I will work on my one-way conversations and being a tad bit more self-absorbed. Last night I had a bit of a better run and I made a lot more then my normal days which is always my goal because we all know about living expenses.

I do appreciate the blunt answers and tips as well from members. I was told by several models via twitter that the way they control the ghosts is by giving a verbal warning before they begun kicking, as many of you who stated that turned a few of you away from my room and I apologize for that. I was simply trying out some advice/tips that I don't really like and so I will stop that.

I think from now on I will be working on a good way to expand my fanbase and it seems camming is 25% talent, 25% looks and 50% self promotion through social media like twitter. It seems as the more people who see you post your status and when your logging in, the more that will show up.

Now if anyone has further advice about having an engaging room I am always ears for it!
I also want to hear good ideas for night games and activities that members like to see.

i just started last week on chaturbate and even though i wasted my new tag when I signed up months ago and never broadcast I had an amazing first week!!! my first day was slow with maybe 20 people in my rooms and no tips, over the next few days i decided to do what i could with my old c270 and terrible wifi and just get more lighting on me and adjust my settings on my cam. the next day i had around 50-100 people and i earned about 300 tip but I got alot of followers and it seems to have jumped me up to 500-600 viewers and on the first page :). I worked every night until new years and cashed out at 3000 tokens. not a whole lot but on the am of the first i had 1500 followers and i was getting tipped and had my first private show (went a little rough) . I went to bed sooo happy and with almost 1000 coins from just about 3 hours, I woke up today and had another awesome morning and as of now i have 4 privates down and im at 4000+ tks and almost 3000 followers. im gonna do one more show tonight just incase its all a fluke but im so happy and really loving all of this so far. I stay smiling, talking, and encouraging my tippers to use apps and botts and wish lists and make them talk to me lol. Im not sure i have an answer but I know that lighting and attitude did it for me :)

• Hugs
Reactions: NoraSkyes
Im not sure i have an answer but I know that lighting and attitude did it for me :)

I'm so into this thread but I had to quote and agree. Last night I played around with the site's cam settings a little and chose to stream in HD. I've been reading some old threads on here and a user said something about streaming in default potato setting is not enough to make them stay in a room.

Camming to me is experimental and you can look up tips in old threads and see what works for you!

If you want to know if and how many people are actually watching you and interact with them, mfc is just not the place. Too many guys just never leave mfc's lounges and visit a model's room. It's why I ultimately left mfc and i'm now only on cb. I found the tips out of nowhere (from people just watching my video from the lounge) completely irritating. So to the op, if you want to have a feeling about how many people are actually watching you, mfc might not be the place. At mfc you just never know for how many people you're putting on your show.

Also, you're going to have off days. Try to not let it phase you. As others have said to me here, let your good days be the bulwark against your bad ones.

Not to hijack the thread, but I really needed to read this. I was on cam for two hours tonight and literally had zero people in my room. I had one basic member kinda chat with me, but otherwise 0 tips and 0 premiums in my room. The other day I did much better, but it is SO demoralizing when there is ABSOLUTELY NOBODY in my room. Like. Nobody. Ugh.

My camscore suffered for it but hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Keeping myself talking despite there being nobody there is probably the hardest part. Like, I feel like I look like a crazy woman when there are 0 people in my room and I'm just like CHATCHATCHAT.

Not to hijack the thread, but I really needed to read this. I was on cam for two hours tonight and literally had zero people in my room. I had one basic member kinda chat with me, but otherwise 0 tips and 0 premiums in my room. The other day I did much better, but it is SO demoralizing when there is ABSOLUTELY NOBODY in my room. Like. Nobody. Ugh.

My camscore suffered for it but hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Keeping myself talking despite there being nobody there is probably the hardest part. Like, I feel like I look like a crazy woman when there are 0 people in my room and I'm just like CHATCHATCHAT.

That was me yesterday lady. Oh man. It sucked hard. I've never had NO ONE talk at all.

• Hugs
That was me yesterday lady. Oh man. It sucked hard. I've never had NO ONE talk at all.

It is the worst! I've never had 0 people to talk to, either. I mean, I've had nights where I made shit money, but I'd at least have 2-3 people in my room at the very least. But tonight was terrible. I feel like crying but I'm gonna be a big hoe and deal with it. But like.

God damn it what the fuck. There's only so much I can do with a ghost room. I tried dancing, talking, bouncing around, but eventually I could feel my energy draining and knew it was time to log the fuck off.

MAY THE HOE GODS BLESS US ON OUR NEXT BROADCAST

Reactions: CharlieCharma
Status
Not open for further replies.