AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

How to deal with the highs and lows of camming?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lovelylaura

Deactivated Account
May 25, 2020
I really struggle with the inconsistencies of camming. Last night at this time I had the best time, mainly because of the users in my room. They were tipping and chatting. Tonight it was awful. 1 hour and no one even said hello. It wears on me emotionally. Then a viewer said users react to the model. What about when the model is topless and tries to be friendly and spends 45 minutes with not a single tip or person chatting? I mean I see it as a two way street. The users inspire a lot of the action. And when they mostly come in and just lurk silently , it’s pretty hard for the model to stay positive and put on a good show.

As a member, I view it as a two way street as well. Model and members feed off each other's energy. I try to make it as enjoyable for the model as she does for me.

I don't really have any suggestions, sorry. Just wanted to comment that I agree with you on it being a two way street.

Upvote 0
As a member, I view it as a two way street as well. Model and members feed off each other's energy. I try to make it as enjoyable for the model as she does for me.

I don't really have any suggestions, sorry. Just wanted to comment that I agree with you on it being a two way street.
Thank you. I say the same things. As a model I feed off the users energy or lack of energy. And I always say, if you engage , tip a bit it makes it fun. I get way too many that just lurk endlessly in silence then criticize me for not being positive. Then when I bring up tipping I get criticized by a select few (the ones that don’t tip usually) for asking for tips.

Upvote 0
I find it helps to remind myself that it's not me, that's just how camming is sometimes. There's a lot of luck in camming.

I could be doing everything right and it just happens to be a slow day on the site. It's not anything I'm doing, and there's nothing I could do to change it. Even top models have bad days sometimes.

This also means that sometimes I log in looking and feeling like crap and end up having an amazing night because a couple of great people showed up.

Just keep in mind, a few bad days here and there are nothing to worry about. Even a bad week or two isn't much cause for concern. But if you're sitting there for weeks on end and no one is talking or tipping, it's time to consider making some changes to your show.

Upvote 0
I find it helps to remind myself that it's not me, that's just how camming is sometimes. There's a lot of luck in camming.

I could be doing everything right and it just happens to be a slow day on the site. It's not anything I'm doing, and there's nothing I could do to change it. Even top models have bad days sometimes.

This also means that sometimes I log in looking and feeling like crap and end up having an amazing night because a couple of great people showed up.

Just keep in mind, a few bad days here and there are nothing to worry about. Even a bad week or two isn't much cause for concern. But if you're sitting there for weeks on end and no one is talking or tipping, it's time to consider making some changes to your show.
May I ask what site you can on? The lack of users engaging in chat is a daily struggle. But I see it in most rooms on cb. I agree that some days I feel even if I got naked and swung from a chandelier it would not make a difference. Other days I can be dressed in pajamas and make more than if naked playing. And I do attribute a lot of it to luck. Sometimes you just get nice generous users that want to spread good vibes. For me the lack of users chatting is harder than the lack of tips. I get bored very quickly and now I will not stay online if it is silent for longer than 30 minutes for my own sanity.

Upvote 0
And I am a very chatty broadcaster. I say hi, and love to chat. Most of the users I say hi to, never even respond back.

Upvote 0
And I am a very chatty broadcaster. I say hi, and love to chat. Most of the users I say hi to, never even respond back.

May I ask if you chat verbally or with text (or both)? I’m a cb user, but sometimes I have my sound off.

I also notice what you describe in the rooms of the models I visit. Some of them have blockbuster days, and then the next day it’s crickets, even with some of the same tippers in the room. I’m not sure there’s a perfect way to predict it or avoid it, honestly.

I agree with the idea that models and visitors feed off each other’s vibe, too.

I don’t have much advice other than a couple models I visit have succeeded in pulling shy visitors out of their shells a bit via joking around or PMing to see what their deal is.

Personally, sometimes a sexy tease motivates me to tip (and chat) more than actual nudity does. There’s something extra exciting about tipping a model on the verge of ... whatever (a big moment, let’s say) ... to keep going.

Upvote 0
I chat verbally. If users do not have sound, I do not understand why they don’t put in headphones. It is way too time consuming to type, much easier to chat verbally and it is what most prefer.
and I agree models who tease well do fairly well. I have not mastered the tease. And I do not PM anymore- way too time consuming.

Upvote 0
I chat verbally. If users do not have sound, I do not understand why they don’t put in headphones. It is way too time consuming to type, much easier to chat verbally and it is what most prefer.
and I agree models who tease well do fairly well. I have not mastered the tease. And I do not PM anymore- way too time consuming.

In my case, when I have the sound off, I’m usually either 1) listening to something else in my home, like music or TV, or 2) I’m dropping in to visit a model on my mobile device while multi-tasking. I’m not defending it. I completely understand it’s annoying to the model, but it’s my reason. Hopefully being friendly in the chat and tipping makes up for me being a pain in the ass for muting the room. :)

I appreciate your point, though, and will work on using earbuds from now on.

Upvote 0
Greet everybody that comes into the room and be yourself. Put some music on and pretend nobody is watching, it attracts viewers. I used to have the same lows and since doing that it has really helped me make it through those worse cam sessions.

Upvote 0
May I ask what site you can on?

I get bored very quickly and now I will not stay online if it is silent for longer than 30 minutes for my own sanity.

I'm on MFC which is definitely more chatty and community oriented then CB tends to be. If you like chatters and want a chatty room, maybe take a stab at MFC?

How long have you been camming? It took me about 8 months of consistent (5 days a week) camming before I had a room of regulars that consistently wants to talk.

Also, I know it's hard to stay online after 30 minutes of silence, but often, pushing through a couple of hours of quiet is how you find new people. I've had some of my best days when the first two hours were pretty dead and then I earned a ton of tokens in the third hour. Especially since you're on CB and don't have camscore to worry about, more time online is definitely a good thing.

Greet everybody that comes into the room

I've found this isn't a great idea. It tends to scare a lot of people off if they feel called out in front of a whole room of people. In my experience, it's better to let people lurk for a bit to figure out how they feel about the room. I do greet my regulars, but on the occasional times I have said hi to a random person, they almost always leave without saying anything. (But maybe CB is different. My only experience is MFC.)

Reactions: melanieoncam
Upvote 0
Any commission-based job is like this. Feast or famine sometimes.

I tend to focus on privates so I give most of my attention to regulars (who provide probably 80% of my income). As you build more regulars your income tends to become more consistent, though everyone seems to have dead nights or days, even top earning hosts.

If you have more bad days than good though, time to change things up - try a different site, try your hand at more clip making or phone sex or texting or something different to up your game.

Upvote 0
I'm on MFC which is definitely more chatty and community oriented then CB tends to be. If you like chatters and want a chatty room, maybe take a stab at MFC?

How long have you been camming? It took me about 8 months of consistent (5 days a week) camming before I had a room of regulars that consistently wants to talk.

Also, I know it's hard to stay online after 30 minutes of silence, but often, pushing through a couple of hours of quiet is how you find new people. I've had some of my best days when the first two hours were pretty dead and then I earned a ton of tokens in the third hour. Especially since you're on CB and don't have camscore to worry about, more time online is definitely a good thing.

I've found this isn't a great idea. It tends to scare a lot of people off if they feel called out in front of a whole room of people. In my experience, it's better to let people lurk for a bit to figure out how they feel about the room. I do greet my regulars, but on the occasional times I have said hi to a random person, they almost always leave without saying anything. (But maybe CB is different. My only experience is MFC.)
I have been camming on CB for 1 yr 8 mns. It has always been a struggle to get viewers to engage on there. I did try MFC off and on for over a month. However, on MFC I could not get many viewers. Some times on MFC I would sit for 45 minutes and have 5 users so I stopped trying on MFC. I can at least get traffic on CB , although it is low quality most times.

Upvote 0
I just feel like I no longer know how to keep an audience engaged. I am fine one on one. But not in the public chat. And I do not know how to keep myself entertained or from going crazy when there is extended silence. I can only stare at myself and talk to myself for so long before getting extremely bored and going crazy. How do ya all combat that? What do you do to keep from getting bored when there is no action?

Upvote 0
I cam on chaturbate. I struggle with this so much, and I think everybody does.

What helps me is to remember that I can only control what I can control:

• how I look/present myself (makes me feel confident and sexy)
  • improving my lighting/cam quality
  • starting my show at the same time (this is the HARDEST personally)
  • giving my show a limit (ie my show is at least 3 hours, if I reach that point & it sucks, I sign off so people dont see my frustration)
  • having my bots/tipmenu set up in a way that is clear and easy for viewers

I gave it my best, so slow night is not a reflection on me.

Beyond that, its honestly a matter of chance/who happens to show up. As you get more consistent, you build more followers in your time slot and have better chances of good people coming by.

I also try to remind myself on slow days that at the end of the pay period, the tokens balance out. And that my worst day on cam is still better than my last job!

Reactions: lovelylaura
Upvote 0
Omg. I just started on cb again today. And made 10 cents in 1 hour again. No one is chatting again. Same shit everyday. And they just come in and sit silently for hours. Like I just don’t get it. How fun can it be to do that. It is absolutely pointless and a complete waste of time.

Upvote 0
And they just come in and sit silently for hours. Like I just don’t get it. How fun can it be to do that. It is absolutely pointless and a complete waste of time.

Sometimes I wonder if those people popped open the room in a new browser tab and forgot about it. Or are watching multiple rooms at once, engaging in few/none of them.

Sorry you’re having a hard time.

Upvote 0
I think that is true as well. But it’s beyond annoying and frustrating to talk to viewers who aren’t really watching.

Upvote 0
I'm on SM and this business is a rollercoaster. The best advice I can give you is SAVE. Save all the fuckin money you can because bad days are inevitable. Bad weeks are inevitable. And even a bad month can shake you.

You can do all the right moves and be social AF, but if the traffic isn't there...it isn't. There isn't much you can do about it.

So when you have a good week or good month put that money away! You gotta plan for this shit. And it can really be shit.

Reactions: lovelylaura
Upvote 0
On cb right now with 134 users and not 1 person tipping or chatting. So what should I do? I just stopped broadcasting, I mean I see no point is staying online for 134 lurkers.

Upvote 0
I'm on SM and this business is a rollercoaster. The best advice I can give you is SAVE. Save all the fuckin money you can because bad days are inevitable. Bad weeks are inevitable. And even a bad month can shake you.

You can do all the right moves and be social AF, but if the traffic isn't there...it isn't. There isn't much you can do about it.

So when you have a good week or good month put that money away! You gotta plan for this shit. And it can really be shit.
I hear ha. And I am 50 years old. Much harder for an older gal.

Reactions: Lady_Sha
Upvote 0
Sometimes I wonder if those people popped open the room in a new browser tab and forgot about it. Or are watching multiple rooms at once, engaging in few/none of them.

Sorry you’re having a hard time.
No matter what I do everyday on CB is the same. Just 1 person chatting and tipping out of 134 in the hour. Logged out with a migraine. Not much fun anymore.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lady_Sha
Upvote 0
I take breaks. I'll do a two hour shift that is slow as shit, take a 15 min break to meditate on money magnetism, and get back on.

Not letting this shit get to you is hard, but we must not let the bad days get to us.

I'm sorry you have a migraine. Take a nap then try again. This business has taught me sticktuitiveness. You really got to stick to it when the shit days arrive so you don't sink.

I once went 7 hrs without a single tip...but due to perseverence I can be found high up on page 1 of SM.

Hang in there doll. It's not you.

Upvote 0
I do stick with it. I did 9 hours yesterday on CB. And most of it was a slow torture. Forced myself back on today. But it just isn’t fun when you can’t get engagement back from viewers. I just find them very rude. Like what are they waiting for? You came in for some reason. There are 4000 other rooms to view. But you choose mine, now what?

Upvote 0
I hear ha. And I am 50 years old. Much harder for an older gal.

Sadly, this is the truth. MFC has many models in the lower ranks who appear to be mature (I'm a tad reluctant to say that word, as I'm 48 and seem to constantly forget that I'm no longer 35). It's rare to see a woman who looks older than mid 30's (at least the ones I've look at their age) towards the top of the page. Not saying it can't be done, as I recall a model on MFC who was same as I am who ranked pretty well until she retired a year or two ago.

It might be worthwhile reviewing how you're doing things in your room, how you draw people in, and if there's anything that needs to change. Maybe roleplaying such as the secretary, librarian, manager/executive, or even the naughty MILF next door might help boost things.

Maybe worth trying on CB and MFC as it sounds like you have/had accounts there while you're waiting to get approval at SM?

Reactions: DoD404
Upvote 0
Then to add insult to injury on an already trying day I get a thumbs down with a message that says: “she is so demanding, she wants everything to go her way”. I believe it is from a user who came in and sent me a private message and didn’t tip. This happens all the time even though the first line in my bio reads NO PM—-DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME. Then when I call him out, he gets up, tips 25 tks to leave that message. Like he is getting mad at me for his stupidity!

Upvote 0

I totally agree. Some models on my site say hi to everyone that enters their room. I only respond when someone says hi to me, or greets me in another polite way. Someone came in last night and said something like “sexy ass”, and I didn’t respond, and he acted like I was being rude. Sorry, dude, I’m not here to make polite conversation with someone who wants to objectify me for free, and will almost certainly never tip or pay for private. But yeah, I don’t feel comfortable calling every person out that enters my room. If he wants to talk to me, he’ll say something friendly, and I almost always respond to that.

Upvote 0
You mentioned you do better one on one, maybe a private based site like Streamate would be a better fit for you?
I think anyone who is comfortable with one on one should be on streamate. My earnings are absolutely consistent, regardless of what day/time I get on.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.