AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

How to pronounce GIF

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.

How do you pronounce "GIF"

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just_A_Guy

V.I.P. AmberLander
Aug 20, 2017
The debate is really heating up. I've seen twitter wars between online dictionaries.
So, how the hell do you pronounce "Gif"? Soft or hard g? Thought we should have an ACF pool.

I pronounce it wrong and I don't care. Just gonna keep on doing that.

American English really is a melting pot of randomness anyway . "I'm going to Tucson on Wednesday to buy aluminium for my store's facade"

Having my say, I hand the speaking conch to the next person.

The g stands for graphics, and until we start pronouncing it jraphics, I'm not pronouncing it jif.

JIF FOR LIFE. FIGHT ME.

The g stands for graphics, and until we start pronouncing it jraphics, I'm not pronouncing it jif.
This 1000% and I don't care what information is out there to suggest otherwise.

How do we pronounce the shortening of graphical user interface? GUI.

Jewee? NO. It's gooey.

Why would graphics interchange format be any different?

Ohhhh just because for some reason the people who created it were wacky and made up some weird language rule... cuz that's how things work. /s

It is my opinion that while they may have created GIF they do not get to determine how spoken language works.

Steve Wilhite, from who's mouth the word in this context was first uttered, says it's a soft g. Everyone else is free to go with some other pronunciation but they're corrupting the original usage. Steve wanted it soft and melodious - "oh what sweet jifs we will make today." The cruel world wants it hard and jarring - "I'm sticking this hard GIF up your nether regions whether you like it or not." So for a kinder gentler world, I go soft g on this. :h: :)

• Helpful!
Reactions: DJ_Pioneer
I pronounce it with a soft g because to me it’s just easier and nicer to say. The hard g feels ugly to me but i don’t care how anyone else says it.
We call gifs “tacos” in my cam room because pronounce it however the heck ya want haha.

I pronounce it with a soft g because to me it’s just easier and nicer to say. The hard g feels ugly to me but i don’t care how anyone else says it.
We call gifs “tacos” in my cam room because pronounce it however the heck ya want haha.
I wish I was that lax about it, this subject gets me unreasonably grumpy lol.

Or jrumpy, if we are doing that thing.

I wish I was that lax about it, this subject gets me unreasonably grumpy lol.

Or jrumpy, if we are doing that thing.
I pronounced it the soft way looong before I even knew what it stood for, so maybe that’s why I just don’t care. Whatever way doesn’t makes me spit when I say it haha

My boyfriend is a graphic designer and insists it's pronounced jif.
So now I refer to him as a "jraphic designer" whenever he wants to throw down about it.
lol

In my language the J is pronounced as the Y in New York, so jraphic looks really weird to me.
I think my G sounds like the CH in Loch Ness.

My brother is an systems engineer and so is my hubby and they say jif haha. Never knew this was a touchy subject. Now what about memes...‍♀️

Reactions: TokenGesture
But you have to call it gello with a hard g.
If you two set it up as a club show on MFC I reckon your gello wrestling match could make some serious tokens.

I pronounce it gif with a hard g, but I am Swedish and we pronounce things differently. As a side note we pronounce jpg as jeepeg and not jaypeg so we Swedes shouldn't be considered an authority on pronunciation of file extensions.

we pronounce jpg as jeepeg and not jaypeg so we Swedes shouldn't be considered an authority on pronunciation of file extensions.
OMG what? haha.

I am sorta guilty of mispronouncing something but only because it's super fun to say.

imgur.com

supposed to sound like "image urr" (I believe, don't quote me on that.)

but is so fun to say as "immgrrrrrr"

My brother is an systems engineer and so is my hubby and they say jif haha. Never knew this was a touchy subject. Now what about memes...‍♀️

I'm a systems engineer/architect and still pronounce it with a hard g as I mentioned above. :p

memes is pronounced meemes.

Linux is Lih-nux. Not Leenux, or Lienux(long i) like so many people think.

The fun part is that I'm involved with a few different jobs/activities that are completely unrelated that have a lot of acronyms for each of them. Of which, there's quite a few that are used between them, and sometimes have to do a double take as my brain shifts gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.