AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Inaccurate shows or movies?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SamanthaGrant

Inactive Cam Model
Nov 8, 2015
Haven't seen a thread like this while scrolling around through the forum so hopefully this isn't a repost of sorts haha. Was wondering what some of the shows are that people have tried watching but end up not able to make it through because you know how inaccurate the portrayal is.

Now obviously there are shows that aren't accurate for the sake that they are fiction like aliens, time travel, etc. (not saying these aren't possible but ya know undiscovered for the time being lol). I'm more addressing shows that portray real life events or even reality shows.

One show I can't watch because it really gets to me is Dance Moms . Growing up as a competitive dancer I know how unrealistic it all is. If a studio treated their dancers that way they would be gone very fast. Dance teachers can be a bit brutal but nothing like on that show. She belittles the poor girls and doesn't encourage them in a positive manner

Also most dancers learn a set of dances over the summer of different varieties (jazz, tap, lyrical, hip hop), each a dance of a difference type and stick with the same one for the whole year. The dances of course are revised and critiqued through the year but dancers aren't learning new sets of dances every week. They have a set 4 or 5 they are doing continually and working through to prefect.

Anyways what are some shows or even movies that you've found yourself shaking your head at how inaccurate they are and why? :cat:

Actually there are a lot of coaches just like Abby. I of course do not know if she is doing all that for the show or if she really does teach like that personally but Ive had coaches just like show personality before. More than once. Many take the Bela Karolyi style and use it because it can get results sometimes. Some girls do thrive under that setting. Also oddly my teaching was learn a new dance every week as well. And styles varied to keep us well rounded. We never specialized even though we of course had our strengths in area/s. All we did in the summer was focus on technique and learning new skills for the coming year actually. Guess it just depends on maybe where you're taught or the area.

Actually there are a lot of coaches just like Abby. I of course do not know if she is doing all that for the show or if she really does teach like that personally but Ive had coaches just like show personality before. More than once. Many take the Bela Karolyi style and use it because it can get results sometimes. Some girls do thrive under that setting. Also oddly my teaching was learn a new dance every week as well. And styles varied to keep us well rounded. We never specialized even though we of course had our strengths in area/s. All we did in the summer was focus on technique and learning new skills for the coming year actually. Guess it just depends on maybe where you're taught or the area.

Interesting I mean yes I've had dance teachers that were very harsh but they never lasted long as the teacher would either be fired or students would gradually leave the studio. That's what happened to one of my former studios. I was dorthy in a production and had to learn about 25 different dances for the production over the course of the year and was called stupid for asking a question in class. Now that dance studio is no longer operational because the owner/teacher would treat his students that way.

Did you compete dances you learned a week prior? That's interesting as I've never heard of that before other than seeing it on the reality show. Growing up competing yearly I'd see the same dances over and over because that's what most studios do. If there were dances at the convention/competitions I hadn't seen they were typically from out of state or from studios that don't often compete. I was however taught new dances weekly in classes just for fun but they were never competition dances or in company classes. My company classes typically were focused in on listening to the judges critiques on tape after competition and then altering and learning from the mistakes made on stage.

Kind of surprised to hear it's actually a thing to be honest. Doesn't seem very beneficial to learn a new dance weekly and compete it. I feel like that kind of instills to give up on dances that could use work. I feel like I learned a lot of perseverance through my dance career but I don't know that I would have learned that through dropping old dances every week. But it's an interesting concept nonetheless.

I love reading historical novels like Pride and Prejudice, but the movies are SO inaccurate. Not only should all the rich people be on the heavier side regarding their weight, but NONE of their teeth should look that nice. Although, most people probably would rather see Keira Knightly with pearly whites than with yellow, stained, half rotted teeth.

I love reading historical novels like Pride and Prejudice, but the movies are SO inaccurate. Not only should all the rich people be on the heavier side regarding their weight, but NONE of their teeth should look that nice. Although, most people probably would rather see Keira Knightly with pearly whites than with yellow, stained, half rotted teeth.

When you read the novel, did you picture Elizabeth with yellow, stained, half rotted teeth?

• Funny!
Reactions: schlmoe
Any episode of a tv show where they wind up on a farm. They always portray farmers the way people who have never been on one picture them. It's fairly comical though

I know these are just fiction, but they really bother me and it is practically any TV show or movie especially that one of the main characters was adopted or lived in foster care. They make foster kids out to look like psychopaths who have all been extremely abused and neglected their whole lives. I know a lot of foster children are like that, but that's not the majority. Then they give them disorders like borderline personality disorder and abandonment issues to explain why they kill and hurt people. I've never seen reality tv shows do that but I'm sure they're out there. I'm not sure why it bothers me, but I think it has to do with the fact that people actually think it's the reality. And it gives a really crappy stereotype.

Reactions: Sevrin and Nordling
I have a funeral service background, so anytime I see a funeral on screen I just want to shout because THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS.

I don't know sometimes real life can be really boring or hard to capture in the way that can hold a audience attention.

I imagine for example House of Cards. If it were more realistic it would probably be a bunch of dry meetings.

Reactions: Sevrin
I don't know sometimes real life can be really boring or hard to capture in the way that can hold a audience attention.

I imagine for example House of Cards. If it were more realistic it would probably be a bunch of dry meetings.
Ahaha, that made me laugh so hard. So, so true.

I worked in a hospital for four years, and when I see hospital scenes in movies, the inaccuracies drive me nuts. They're usually nitpicky, like, "Why is the oxygen port in the wall nowhere near the bed?". I don't remember what show it was, but one character was trying to pull the plug...from a saline drip. Yeah that isn't gonna kill them. IV drips run on a battery when they get unplugged too, ha.
The one "accuracy" I recently saw was the season premiere of It's Always Sunny. They had hampers in Charlie's room for contact precaution gowns. If Charlie was a real person and admitted to a hospital, he'd totally be on contact precaution. :haha:

@SamanthaGrant and @Teagan , my sister was in competitive dance for years. I've only seen one or two episodes of Dance Moms, but it was sadly accurate compared to the studio my sis danced for. One of the reasons she quit dancing for them is because they kept telling her she was too fat for recital costumes. My sister has always been a thin girl, but we're Mexican and we HIPS for christ sake. She was only 14 and they finally started coming in. She was wearing size 4 jeans at her "heaviest"...
*edited cause typos, whoops.

Very few films about war or the military ever get things right. This is compounded by the fact that most militaries are highly regulated and regimented which leaves the door open for many small mistakes to be made and noticed by veterans. For example, the US military has piles of rules and regulations. There is a 57 page long book on just how to wear the uniform and grooming guidelines. Snowie1969 accurately pointed out that most war films ignore the military jobs that aren't "sexy", things like logistics and so on. The other problem is that since wars are as Carl von Clausewitz famously said, "the continuation of politics by other means" film makers tend to bring their own political biases into the piece regardless of whether they are for or against a particular war or conflict. And I would suggest not bothering to watch The Hurt Locker, aside from getting the look of Iraq correct, it is unbelievably inaccurate.

Law and Order SVU is pretty ridiculous. I get that it needs to be entertaining but all the swerves and the tactics used and people involved are usually more funny than accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.