AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Make Your Own Graphics (Without special programs!)

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evvie

I haven't posted recently, hopefully will be back soon!
Inactive Cam Model
Feb 12, 2012
It seems like there is a big need for custom graphics but nobody out there to make them.

If you want simple text graphics, they're easy to make. All you need to do is pay attention to some simple design principles and you'll be good to go.

We're going to make our graphics today in MS Paint (the Windows 7 version). The older version of Paint will work as well.

Before we begin, here are some tips, yo!

• Don't use photos. This is not a project where you can use photos and have them look good. So please, for the love of god, no text on top of photos unless you're using Photoshop and in that case you don't need this post anyway.
  • Use fancy decorative fonts (sorry, typefaces) only for titles and headers. Always use a simple, basic, easy-to-read font for the body of your image.
  • Do not use neon colors for the background of your graphics. They are not eye-catching, they are eye-hurting. Use a neutral color like white, black, or grey, or use gentle pastel colors like blue-grey, beige, or soft pink. The lighter, the better. In fact, if your colors look almost identical to white, you're off to a good start.

When you make a graphic for your rules, a new game, info, what have you, the important thing to remember is that you want to get information across. Nobody will read your graphic if it is,
  • Cramped, crowded, and the text is tiny or hard to read (either because you used a fancy font, or the color of your text can't be read against the background)
  • Eye-hurting from neon colors
  • Contains paragraphs of information
  • Is confusing to read and hard to understand

With that in mind, let's do this snizz!

Step 0: Understanding design concepts.

0.1: Headers and text are different, and should look different, and be instantly recognizable as either a title or text.

For example:
4fcaedad90b119_HeaderExample1.jpg

Both those graphics are pretty darn horrible, but the one on the right looks better. Notice that the size, color of the text, and the font itself are changed between the header and the text.

0.2: Colors which look nice easily blend and blur together. Make sure text and background colors are radically different.

0.2.a: Unless the background is black, never make the background darker than the text.

4fcaefba068a11_ColorExample1.jpg

0.3: Break your text up in to manageable bites. Organize text by the information it holds. Use gaps or lines to separate text.

4fcaf320e5f7b5_SpacingExample1.jpg

Notice the use of different fonts, colors, spacing, and bullet points (in this case the + sign) to make information very available and understandable.

0.4: Lastly, muted or rich colors tend to look more professional than over-saturated or 'plain' colors.
4fcaf59986f290_ColorExample2.jpg

To make colors muted, make them lighter and more grey. To make colors richer, make them darker and more grey ;)

Step 1: Get some new fonts.

If you want to make a professional-looking graphic, you are going to need more fonts than are already installed on your computer.

I suggest going to dafont.com. I've been downloading fonts from them for years. If you go to their top fonts page, you can look at like 10 pages of their most highly rated fonts.

(If you don't know how to install a new font, go to Control Panel > Fonts and drop the unzipped font file in the folder. It will automatically install. If you can't figure it out, ask!)

If you are uncomfortable adding new typefaces to your computer, feel free to use the ones already installed. However, for the love of fucking god, do not use the following fonts or gremlins will eat your cat:

• Blackadder ITC
  • Bradley Hand ITC
  • Comic Sans MS
  • Curlz MT
  • Jokerman
  • Juice ITC
  • Lucida Handwriting
  • Matisse ITC

(Typography geeks, feel free to amend that list).

Why can't you use those fonts? Because they reek of non-professionalism. If you make a sign with any of those fonts, it will look more at home in a first-grade classroom or a PTA flyer.

When I download new fonts I will point them out and link them if you want them too.

Step 2: Type all the information you need in to a word processor. Organize it before you design it.

This is my fake draft of all the information I want:
I Spy Game
super awesome fucking game where people look at pictures until they get to be 3D, and then they tip me somehow and I'll be best top MFC model of the world forever and ever.

Rules: Give me 1,000,000 tokens.
Start date: This is just a new thing now. It happens all the time.
End date: none!
Other infos: I like minecraft.

This is how it will look when I'm done organizing that information and its ready to become a graphic:

I Spy Game
This is a new game I'm so excited about, and I hope you will be too! You have to play Minecraft and take screen shots of things I want. If you get all the pictures taken first, you win a prize!

Rules:
+ It's 100^10 tokens to enter
+ If I catch you cheating you're out!
+ After you enter I'll send you a list of shots to take, and then you can e-mail me the pics!

Start date: This is just a new thing now. It happens all the time.
End date: none!
Other infos: I like minecraft.

Step 3: Using smart design sense, compile all your information in to a graphic.

It really is as easy as that. Look at this simple graphic I made in 3 minutes. The longest part was making up the information:

4fcaf95fce4be4_FinalExample.jpg

The fonts I used were Revolution II and Garamond, which comes installed on every PC. I used muted blue colors and on the spur of the moment decided to mix in light blue and red to make it a little different.

Here are some other design concepts. Feel free to copy any of them.

4fcafca8a957b7_FinalExample.jpg

Evvie thinks it would look much better with a different color background. Should have been lighter. And more yellow. Oh wells. Borders make pictures look classy, yo! The font was http://www.dafont.com/havlova-austral.font and Eras Light, which comes installed.

Okay, did any of this make sense? I feel like most of it did not but I'm super tired.
Please ask questions for clarification and stuff... and you should also totes post your own work as examples or to get help on it. I'm sure a lot of great designer folks around would be happy to help give advice and correct and add to my ramble-post.

i made one! i don't know if i'm going to use it or not. it was kinda on the fly. i wonder if the green is too bright?

Attachments

• you might wonder.jpg
    you might wonder.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 2,050
Reactions: Nordling and Evvie
That looks super-duper Katie :D

The green is bright, but it is a nice off-set to the darker colors. Yaaaay for Paint graphics!

@Evvie Did I mention that I love you? THIS is exactly what I have needed. I tried photoshop on trial and after about 4 hours of failing my brain exploded... Paint I understand, Paint I can do. Will get back to you with my efforts and you can mark them out of 10 ;)

Thank you so much xxx

Reactions: Evvie
Good Job Evvie. I saw the title and expected this to be about one of those horrible online graphic generators, but instead found a well written, informative post for models to make decent graphics without expensive software.

Reactions: Evvie
KatieBoots said:
i made another! i think it breaks some rules, but i love tie-dye so i did it anyway!

Lol it sure does you silly Boots (see, it's hilarious because I call people silly boots in real life!)

After your first graphic I think you can do better, though. I don't have the background you used, but here is how I would improve it:

• Instead of the fancy double-bar decoration you have going on, I would put a single border around the outside. This will help end the tie-dye image and start the background of your page smoothly. (Don't matter if your background is black)
  • I like your boxes, but with the double outline thing, I feel like there are just a few too many lines.
  • Also, consider changing the header to a different color. Colors are awesome and a graphic about tie-dye should have lots of colllooors!!! A colored border that compliments colorful header text would be awesome. The easiest match would just be to have them be the same.

Reactions: katie_christ
Evvie said:
If you are uncomfortable adding new typefaces to your computer, feel free to use the ones already installed. However, for the love of fucking god, do not use the following fonts or gremlins will eat your cat:

• Blackadder ITC
  • Bradley Hand ITC
  • Comic Sans MS
  • Curlz MT
  • Jokerman
  • Juice ITC
  • Lucida Handwriting
  • Matisse ITC

Papyrus is on my shit list of terribly awkward and overused fonts. I HAVE SEEN MANY THINGS, including papyrus and comic sans used together. My poor eyes will never be the same D:

PaigeParker said:
Evvie said:

• Blackadder ITC
  • Bradley Hand ITC
  • Comic Sans MS
  • Curlz MT
  • Jokerman
  • Juice ITC
  • Lucida Handwriting
  • Matisse ITC

Papyrus is on my shit list of terribly awkward and overused fonts. I HAVE SEEN MANY THINGS, including papyrus and comic sans used together. My poor eyes will never be the same D:
Papyrus didn't come installed on this PC so I missed it! Thank you for warning everyone away from this horrid monstrosity.

Some more don't-do's that apply specifically to those with Photoshop.

DON'T leave layer effects on the default setting. Nothing looks worse that that horrible standard outer-glow.
DON'T bevel or emboss unless you're going for an effect that requires it.
DON'T do vertical text. If you want it vertical, type horizontally and rotate it.

Reactions: AnikaSnow and Evvie
Jessi said:
Papyrus, Times New Roman and Comic Sans.
Please, please don't use them.
I agree on Papyrus, especially as a screen font, but it's ugly and illegible in print or screen.

Comic Sans I don't have the hate for that most people do, although I'd omit it except when using it to imitate handwritten "talk balloon" speech in actual cartoons.

Times New Roman? Not sure the objection here, although I might limit it to long pieces of text because of it's legibility but lack of impact.

Nordling said:
Jessi said:
I agree on Papyrus, especially as a screen font, but it's ugly and illegible in print or screen.

Comic Sans I don't have the hate for that most people do, although I'd omit it except when using it to imitate handwritten "talk balloon" speech in actual cartoons.

Times New Roman? Not sure the objection here, although I might limit it to long pieces of text because of it's legibility but lack of impact.

Times New Roman because most people use it without adjusting the kerning. Ever. It can be a nice font, but its just been so overused and abused.
Comic sans because a) everyone uses it in inappropriate places and b) because even as a font for comics, its not that great. And there are much better free font options, even http://www.dafont.com/anim-ace.font.

No, Im not going to trash on some daycare owner who doesnt know better and makes a sign in Word but while we're on the topic of doing graphics for your camsite profile, I just like to err on the side of doing things well rather than doing them "sort of ok"

Reactions: Nordling
I just want to say, I LOVE the comic sans bashing going on here. I mentioned in my room the other day my hate for comic sans and everyone thought I was crazy. There are so many good "comic fonts" that I can't even understand why one would use it. Also, it looks young to me. Way too young to be on an adult website.

Thank you so much for this, Evvie. I make a lot of my own graphics, but I end up never using them because the font never looks right. Now I found a few new ones that I absolutely adore and can make my cammiversary graphic! Woot!

You rock, yo.

Reactions: Gen
Jessi said:
Nordling said:
Jessi said:

Times New Roman because most people use it without adjusting the kerning. Ever. It can be a nice font, but its just been so overused and abused.
Comic sans because a) everyone uses it in inappropriate places and b) because even as a font for comics, its not that great. And there are much better free font options, even http://www.dafont.com/anim-ace.font.

No, Im not going to trash on some daycare owner who doesnt know better and makes a sign in Word but while we're on the topic of doing graphics for your camsite profile, I just like to err on the side of doing things well rather than doing them "sort of ok"
:D You've made me a believer. I just checked out the free, anime font you suggested and yes, it's far superior to Comic Sans, even though it's missing a lower case option, but for talk balloons, that's not necessary anyway. :) Thanks!

Evvie:
It seems like there is a big need for custom graphics but nobody out there to make them.

I offer commercial services ... and as reply for another question : yes earnings are ok, I don't earn from editing images like a medium model but it's ok

Have fun & b creative :violin:

I'm a firm believer of teaching people to fish :p So this is an awesome thread Evvie & one I'm sure will help a lot of girls. As for the Comic Sans argument, I think its a lot like using the box of 8 crayons. Understandable if its all you got but with so many other options its a bit crazy

I'm a professional designer along with my smut peddling and enjoy working with girls with their profile graphics. So for those who don't have the time or just excel in other places I think its good to know there are other girls who understand the industry to give you a hand.

Can you guys tell me your honest opinion on this graphic I just made?
I was going to use this for advertising my new vid, but I'll still happily change it if it looks weird. I don't really have an eye for those things.

33uyetj.png

LilyMarie said:
I was going to use this for advertising my new vid, but I'll still happily change it if it looks weird. I don't really have an eye for those things

The unaligned token amount looks weird to me, but if it was inline it would be harder to find. So I really had nothing useful to say, but the picture of you and your friend is cute.

Evvie said:
0.2: Colors which look nice easily blend and blur together. Make sure text and background colors are radically different.

0.2.a: Unless the background is black, never make the background darker than the text.

4fcaefba068a11_ColorExample1.jpg

Though I agree with Point 2 (and thing the whole post is excellent) I have to say that a couple of the examples used in 2a are hard for people with colour-blindness to read, especially the top right one. That one is almost completely impossible for me as the two colours bleed into each other.

As colour-blindness is a lot more common amongst men than women, it maybe something to bear in mind when designing a profile. What you may see as good contrasts aren't always what we see. Here are a couple of good examplea:

http://safecolours.rigdenage.com/palettefiles.html
How the Color Deficient Person Sees the World

I forgot to add that colours and graphics look very different, depending upon what browser one uses, as well as the type and size of screen. With browsers, I would usually try something on all three main browesers...Chrome, FF and IE. Things that looked really cool in Chrome and FF failed to implement in IE.

And I alternate between my desktop and netbook. Even AFC looks very different between the two.

LilyMarie said:
I was going to use this for advertising my new vid, but I'll still happily change it if it looks weird. I don't really have an eye for those things.

33uyetj.png

I do not wish to be an ass... but in on of your replays from this forum you write that you are good in webdesign or something like this. Ok...let's analyse your graphic . First of all the purpose of the image is to inform and present your 'product' as a label or a promotional image or flyer... Text colour is not the best choice, background colour is "coral" not to attractive, true...some girls are colour-blind ... not your case still, the combination of the font, graphics and position is not the best.

What should it look like or what elements are missing?
(I'm not just a critic, I offer a suggestion/solution)

-balance the graphics and texts (all centred, or all left )
-background colour/image of your outcome must have something in common with all the other elements
-the price is important so "450tkns" must stand-out .. bigger font or different colour
- point out the image element ... Maybe you don't use complex editing programs but resources are free and available all over the internet .. if this is a video you should use a graphic element or HD mark image to point that out .
This kind of images MUST be amazingly done if you want to earn from their content.
I've learned this method in school , for a few seconds close your eyes, open them fast ...what element from your graphic you notice first? Work on that graphic.

This kind of images must impress in 2 seconds, if this image does not stands out and impress me... I'll not click it or read the text.

Example of a graphic that captures the interest of the visitor.
widget-preview.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQv14cMuKag

I must always remember that not all people are web-designers, coders and so on.... I do apologise if my reply is not
"what a wonderful outcome..." . Sorry if I upset any of you.
Thank you

Reactions: AshleyFox
mfc-css-pro said:
in on of your replays from this forum you write that you are good in webdesign or something like this.
No :) I'm pretty sure I never wrote something like that. You must be confusing me with someone else :)

Thanks for your opinion!
I'll reply to some aspects of your post.

(...)background colour is "coral" not to attractive, (...)
It's a rose color. It's not coral at all. It's very odd that it looks like a coral tone on your screen. The color I used is #eed5d2 and on the color list website where I found it, it's called 'mistyrose 2'. :) This is what coral looks like to me.

true...some girls are colour-blind ... not your case still, the combination of the font, graphics and position is not the best.
Can you elaborate on that?

-background colour/image of your outcome must have something in common with all the other elements
I don't quite understand this... Do you mean the background color should be similar to the font colors (i.e. the other elements)?

- point out the image element ... Maybe you don't use complex editing programs but resources are free and available all over the internet .. if this is a video you should use a graphic element or HD mark image to point that out .
I used PaintShop Pro X3 which is a complex editing program. Yet I wanted the graphic to be as simple and readable as possible.

I've learned this method in school , for a few seconds close your eyes, open them fast ...what element from your graphic you notice first? Work on that graphic.
I did that. What I saw first was definitely the screenshot in the middle. What do you think could be improved about it? Please let me know.

I hope my reply didn't come across as defensive or anything, I'm always trying to learn.

Can I have some more opinions from you guys, please? :)
Maybe also in regards to what mfc-css-pro has said?

I'd just like to say that I much prefer the look of simple elegance graphics (like Lily's graphic posted above) to the bright, flashy 'look at me' graphics. Bright graphics stand out in a weird way on a lightly colored profile.

I agree with CammiStar about making the font darker. It would pop then, but otherwise I think it looks great!

@mfc-css-pro: While your graphic is nice, it's busy. The font/color over the car on the photo is hard to read because everything is so bright. I can't even read the link because the color clashes with the car.

LilyMarie said:
mfc-css-pro said:
in one of your replays from this forum you write that you are good in webdesign or something like this.
No :) I'm pretty sure I never wrote something like that. You must be confusing me with someone else :)
I think you are right
Thanks for your opinion!
I'll reply to some aspects of your post.

(...)background colour is "coral" not to attractive, (...)
It's a rose color. It's not coral at all. It's very odd that it looks like a coral tone on your screen. The color I used is #eed5d2 and on the color list website where I found it, it's called 'mistyrose 2'. :) This is what coral looks like to me.

Lol...I have to reset my colour profile for my laptop... almost the same nuance :)

true...some girls are colour-blind ... not your case still, the combination of the font, graphics and position is not the best.
Can you elaborate on that?
I know for sure you know how other models are using colours on backgrounds ... sometimes visitors can't read the text because the font colour is badly used on background images. The expression colour-blind is not the best definition.
(colour-blind= the inability to distinct colours)

I don't quite understand this... Do you mean the background color should be similar to the font colors (i.e. the other elements)?

Your current profile design uses a light palette (white, grey, black...) white 70% how does it look if on a similar design I'll add an gif animated image with glitter? Unbalanced!

I used PaintShop Pro X3 which is a complex editing program. Yet I wanted the graphic to be as simple and readable as possible.

I did that. What I saw first was definitely the screenshot in the middle. What do you think could be improved about it? Please let me know.

33uyetj.jpg

fast as an example... the middle play button is the "intuitive action" PLAY ME!

I hope my reply didn't come across as defensive or anything, I'm always trying to learn.

Nope and good luck.

Can I have some more opinions from you guys, please? :)
Maybe also in regards to what mfc-css-pro has said?

Status
Not open for further replies.