AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

MFC - Why can't I put a space in my username?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emahlee

Inactive Cam Model
I've noticed that some models seem to have a space in their username, for example : Beverly Hills1 .

My name isn't too long, and I've even tried with short names. It won't let me add a space between words! Only the ( _ ) symbol.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks in advance! SMOOCH!

I've noticed that some models seem to have a space in their username, for example : Beverly Hills1 .

My name isn't too long, and I've even tried with short names. It won't let me add a space between words! Only the ( _ ) symbol.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks in advance! SMOOCH!

AFAIK for MFC usernames you can only use numbers, letters and underscores... no spaces are allowed.

As per the MFC wiki... https://wiki.myfreecams.com/wiki/Choosing_a_Model_Username

Username rules and tips
Technical requirements:

• Must contain between 5 and 13 characters.
  • Must begin with a letter.
  • May contain letters, numbers, and underscores. (e.g. SexyModel_4U)
  • May not end with the numbers 11,12,13,14,15,16,17.

:)

Upvote 0
Basically, it's for the same reason you can't put a space in your e-mail address. It's just the way computers handle spaces versus alphanumeric characters - a space means the end of a word / username / e-mail address, so it cannot also be in the middle of it. That's why underscores are usually used as a substitute for a space.

Upvote 0
Basically, it's for the same reason you can't put a space in your e-mail address. It's just the way computers handle spaces versus alphanumeric characters - a space means the end of a word / username / e-mail address, so it cannot also be in the middle of it. That's why underscores are usually used as a substitute for a space.

Totally agree. And another example similar to email is that your name is used in the URL for links. A URL can't have spaces in it.

Reactions: emahlee
Upvote 0
I'm curious, as nobody seems to have addressed this part of your post; but a quick search of https://profiles.myfreecams.com did not return any model with a name similar to 'Beverly Hills1'. Would you be able to share the profile page of this model?
I was just about to ask the same thing... I can't find any model with a similar name.

Totally agree. And another example similar to email is that your name is used in the URL for links. A URL can't have spaces in it.
Well... the URL can't contain the space character (0x20), but you can percent encode the spaces: http://example.com/a%20url%20with%20spaces?query=param+with+spaces

Note: I just did a "preview" before posting and I have to percent encode the percent sign in the URL or the forum software decodes the spaces and the above URL looks like: http://example.com/a url with spaces?query=param+with+spaces

The Unicode standard also defines several space characters so she may be using one of those... lord only knows how she would type her username into a login form though.

Upvote 0
ok.. well I feel stupid :)

I went to the main page and moused over the names that appear to have spaces but they aren't spaces, they are in fact underscores.

some of the underscores are easily visible, while some underscores I do have to mouse over in order to see them.

I'm not sure if it's the sites layout or my computer screen, that's "hiding" some models underscores. (maybe even a models font or font size.) (who knows!?)

so this is resolved. we can't have spaces in our names. thanks, everyone!

Upvote 0
Do not feel stupid. Some fonts in web pages seem to hide underscores altogether. Easy mistake.

FYI - Simple spaces are allowed in URLs. You just rarely see it because it is considered a terrible practice to do so.

I created a quick web page on my website with a deliberate space in the file name of the HTML file. I typed the URL making sure to keep the space. It displayed fine, and you can still see the space in the URL in the browser after it loaded up. Some browsers (Chrome) will automatically encode any space in a URL to "%20". The example pic here is on Firefox which did not change the URL.

URL.png

• Hugs
Reactions: emahlee
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.