AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

People who buy content, does background noise bother you?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marceline

Cam Model
Aug 11, 2017
For those who buy content, how do you feel about background noise in videos? Background noise like cars driving by, a bird chirping, maybe hearing a random clanging sound from someone in the same apartment building? Does hearing those sounds take you out of the mood or do you not care? Or, is there a limit to how much background noise you’re okay with? And if so, what’s that limit?

I’m really curious what members think about this. I watch a fair amount of YouTube vlogs and it doesn’t really bother me, but I’m also not watching YouTube videos for the same reason people are watching adult content that they’ve paid for.

Also, bonus question. Would you rather hear the background noise or have the content creator cut it out and have a small jump cut? And do jump cuts (very small, not super noticeable ones) bother you?

Incidental noise isn't a problem for me.

Now if you have somebody hammering doing construction or leaf blowers running in the background then, yeah, not great for the mood. ; )

No jump cuts for me if you can avoid. If well done as transitions then maybe OK.

i have 6 air conditioning units outside of my bedroom window. im always afraid to record anything in there because of the noticeable humming noises.

i've thought about removing the background noise myself, but i dont want to distort the audio too much and lose sounds i would want to pick up. like hearing a wet pussy. its a conundrum. @Marceline this might be helpful: https://filmora.wondershare.com/video-editing-tips/remove-background-noise-from-video.html

also music? i've been tempted to put royalty-free spa or smooth jazz music into my clips if i decide to film my bedroom. how off-putting is music or is it not? is raw audio preferred?

i have 6 air conditioning units outside of my bedroom window. im always afraid to record anything in there because of the noticeable humming noises.

i've thought about removing the background noise myself, but i dont want to distort the audio too much and lose sounds i would want to pick up. like hearing a wet pussy. its a conundrum. @Marceline this might be helpful: https://filmora.wondershare.com/video-editing-tips/remove-background-noise-from-video.html

also music? i've been tempted to put royalty-free spa or smooth jazz music into my clips if i decide to film my bedroom. how off-putting is music or is it not? is raw audio preferred?

I think a shotgun mic would be ideal for that scenario, or a cardioid mic id you can find a way to get it close to you without having it in frame. With music I think there is too much personal preference involved, unless the music really fit the theme

Reactions: AudriTwo
If you're computer has an nvidia card you should consider downloading nvidia broadcaster which uses some of the GPU to do things like noise cancelling and audio correction. Hell it even can remove your background (probably not a camsite big feature but useful for zoom meeting). Can easily remove ambient fans or a noisy AC or computer from the background.

I think a shotgun mic would be ideal for that scenario, or a cardioid mic id you can find a way to get it close to you without having it in frame. With music I think there is too much personal preference involved, unless the music really fit the theme
i've tried using my blue yeti, but i can still hear the air conditioners humming, just faintly. like i said there are six and most of them are running all time because florida. how my bed room is laid out, the airconditioning units would be behind my headboard. i might try a shotgun mic. thanks for the tip.

If you're computer has an nvidia card you should consider downloading nvidia broadcaster which uses some of the GPU to do things like noise cancelling and audio correction. Hell it even can remove your background (probably not a camsite big feature but useful for zoom meeting). Can easily remove ambient fans or a noisy AC or computer from the background.
you need a nvidia rtx i do believe.

Last edited:
It's nice to see that it's not a huge turn off to have a little bit of background noise, haha. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my content, so I try not to have any noise whatsoever in the background. If a car goes by and it's too loud or one of my neighbors shuts a door too loud or something, I usually stop and refilm the entire scene. So, it ends up taking me waaaaayy longer than it should to film a single video and really hinders my productivity. Trying to get a little out of that mindset, since I'm coming to terms with the fact that unless I move to the middle of nowhere some outside noises will come up while I'm filming no matter what.

I have tried using the option to remove background noise when using Filmora, and while it does work for background static (or whatever it's called), it messes with the quality of my voice and makes it sound really unnatural. I'm thinking about getting a nice mic and sound proofing my work room, but other than that I think I'm just going to roll with it, unless whatever noise happens is super obnoxious.

Reactions: AussieCosplay
Recently, I've started muting tiny portions of clips for loud sounds. Never more than half a second or so, but if someone slams a door, rather than cutting a tiny bit out and having a jump cut, I'll just mute that tiny bit of the clip. Granted, this only works if I'm not talking during that time.

In general, having noise in the background of clips is something I struggle with a lot and it's the #1 reason why I'm trying to save for a house. I live in an apartment and have noisy neighbors on multiple sides to me to the point where I waste hours every week waiting for them to be quiet or refilming things because they were so loud. I've found that early on Saturday and Sunday mornings is the quietest time, so I try to film then.

No music please! If there's a radio on in the background ok, but background music is big no-no. Not just for me but I see this as a complaint by many people very often on professional adult video sites. Producer thinks he's a filming a Hollywood blockbuster or something and thinks music must be added. NO!

As for the OP's question. A little accidental sounds is not bothersome, but hearing other people talking/yelling is very distracting.

Reactions: AudriTwo
No music please!
lol I've had to add this to my page:

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 9.40.54 AM.png

But at least half of all of my videos are strip dance type content, so it looks silly to do so without a song. For the rest of the more masturbatory type stuff, I just feel too awkward, even after 11 years of this, to film in a silent room. Music is part of my masturbation, so it's part of my videos of it. :)

This is going to vary person to person I'm sure. That being said, audio is a big component for me regarding adult videos, so I can get pretty picky on it.
  • Background/non-personal 'white noise', like air conditioners / cars / nature doesn't bother me much. This also somewhat extends to sounds of yardmen or people outside. I can phase those out as the background, no problem.
    • The limit for noises (especially harsh ones) is if it happens where it becomes louder than whatever the performer's noise level is, in other words >50%. This is relative to the video. My attention goes naturally to whatever is the loudest thing, so if I hear a chainsaw in the background, I'll be focusing on that instead of the performer if she is not talking.
    • If the performer is real quiet, I can ignore background noise (even if louder than the performer), if it's a "softer" noise, like cars / nature / air moving. The 50% applies still to harsher noises, like chainsaws/weed wackers or construction though.
  • Background noise that is more personal, mainly someone in the room, pots/pans clanging, a door shutting... that does bother me. If I'm watching a video of someone doing their thing, it's very distracting if I know someone is frying up their lunch in the background. It feels less intimate. It's especially distracting to me if the model looks towards whatever the disturbance is and if there is a jump cut there. It removes me from the moment. If a model is doing something sexy on a camera, last thing I want is the boyfriend/husband just casually in the background. Idk, it kind of weirds me out, or makes me feel weirdly excluded. Tough to explain, but anyways-- it's distracting.
    • I'd rather have a jump cut than a personal-type noise, even if I don't like jump cuts
    • The limit is very low on this. It's less about volume at this point, and more so if I can tell if it's the same area or not. If I can somehow tell that it's a person not inside of the room, I can deal.
As for jump cuts, that's something generally I dislike. Imo, it makes it seem like a bunch of time has passed-- probably more than what actually happened. The closest equivalent I think of is like if you were getting sexy with someone, but then you said "wait a minute, I'll be right back" out of nowhere, left, and then you came back after 15 minutes and continued like nothing happened. It takes a person out of the mood. Not a perfect comparison, but that's what a poorly timed jump cut can kind of feel like at times for me. Still better than personal background noise, but still distracting.

As for music in vids, it doesn't do anything for me, but I can usually phase it out ....Actually, on second thought, if it's metal, I'll probably think the person is a badass and I'll give em props for it :rock:. Overall, I'd probably rather have a music-less vid, but if there is music, I'd rather have it live in the room (even if not as great sounding since the mic and all) rather than put in via post editing. Makes it sound more authentic, and sometimes models like cranking up the music way too loud.

What bothers me more than background noise or anything else is clipping. I can't think of a good reason ever that someone's mic should be clipping on a regular basis. Heck, I've even seen real popular rooms live on CB have clipping mics (*cough* 1k1_nights *uncough*). It upsets my soul. I'm an audio engineer in my spare time, and it's a huge pet peeve of mine. People can turn the gain down, or they can get a compressor if they want to get fancier or think they'll need it. It's an instant turn off if a mic is clipping with that horrible distortion sound, and it makes me want to mute the vid, leave, or give a boring-ass lecture on audio-setup if there is bad clipping.

So just no clipping-- No one needs to hear the sound of ultimate suffering in your vid.

Recently, I've started muting tiny portions of clips for loud sounds. Never more than half a second or so, but if someone slams a door, rather than cutting a tiny bit out and having a jump cut, I'll just mute that tiny bit of the clip. Granted, this only works if I'm not talking during that time.

Y'know, I actually never thought to do this. I might give it a try next time I have this issue!

No jump cuts for me if you can avoid.

As for jump cuts, that's something generally I dislike.

With the jump cuts, I'll admit, I usually end up with a few during my videos. My videos are almost never shorter than 20 minutes. I'd say most are around the 30 minute mark, with more than a few around 40 minutes. I usually have to pause filming because of background noise or because I get mush mouth and say something totally incomprehensible, haha.

However, I try to make the jump cuts as subtle as possible. I have a remote camera app (Canon Camera Connect for Canon users, super duper recommend), and I keep my phone right by me, but hidden from the camera. So, whenever I have a minor slip up, I'll just stop and start recording again, while remaining in the same spot and position. Sometimes it's so subtle that not even I can really notice it. It's kind of like how when you watch YouTube vlogs and you'll see just a minor cut after a sentence or something. Nothing major, like I'm not on one side of the room and the next moment I'm in a totally different position on the other side acting as if it was totally natural that I just magically transported in between sentences, haha.

Reactions: veggiebabyy
i've tried using my blue yeti, but i can still hear the air conditioners humming, just faintly. like i said there are six and most of them are running all time because florida. how my bed room is laid out, the airconditioning units would be behind my headboard. i might try a shotgun mic. thanks for the tip.

you need a nvidia rtx i do believe.
You can get it running on some 10 series cards too but you need to edit one of the files, first post in this thread has the instructions on how to get it running with non rtx cards.

it works great, but I would recommend recording a test clip before you start filming, I have had it remove words out of the middle of sentences when I had it set too high.

You can get it running on some 10 series cards too but you need to edit one of the files, first post in this thread has the instructions on how to get it running with non rtx cards.

it works great, but I would recommend recording a test clip before you start filming, I have had it remove words out of the middle of sentences when I had it set too high.

Wouldn't RTX voice kill all the other audio she wants to pic up that isn't her voice?

Wouldn't RTX voice kill all the other audio she wants to pic up that isn't her voice
it depends how sensitive you set it, the higher you crank it up the more it cuts out, so it is going to depend on how loud the noise that you need removed is vs the sound you want to keep. it really dosnt do anything that can't be done with eq adjustments, which would give a lot more control over it but it's also a lot more involved

Another option is something like an audio production plug-in like Waves X-Noise. It's currently priced at $36-- there is a demo if you're curious. I did a quick and dirty comparison. (I'm sure one could fine tune it better, but it gives you an idea at least). It's basically a fancy EQ that analyzes the noise profile and tries to remove it based on a threshold you give it. That's more or less all you can do, since AC Noise usually goes across a wide frequency range and it blends with your voice.

I ran some tests....
About 3 feet away from air conditioner, no effects added:

Same audio file as before, with X-Noise and Channel EQ. Channel EQ just did slight mid low bass boost and attenuation for boxy mids. X-Noise did vast majority of work. (used logic pro):

Picture of x-noise plug-in for reference:
1612903398976.png

EDIT: Another thing I forgot to mention is that a noise gate can also work wonders. For those who aren't aware of what a noise gate is, it basically is a plug-in where you set a minimum-level (e.g. -25 db) and anything that is more quiet than the threshold can get cancelled out. That way, if you are speaking, it automatically silences the pauses any between sentences or whatnot. If you do it right, it cleans up your audio without you having to make as many cuts here and there. I'm sure many of y'all are familiar with them, but there plenty of good ones out there. Usually stock ones are decent. I often use the Logic Pro built-in one (which I think is in Garageband too?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DoD404
Status
Not open for further replies.