AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

photography question

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2021
Hey!

I’m a documentary photography student and am doing a small book on webcam. Usually it’s just sensual photography, closeups, some mothion and so on, mostly anonymous. Buuut I have a couple of beautiful portraits that in perfect case I would like to keep. It’s an art book, so not a commercial project at the moment. My question is: what would be your attitude to this idea for finding yourself in the book? Most of the photographs are more aesthetical and melancholic, so I try to make something beautiful rather than vulgar. How should I contact the models and ask them for permission and on which conditions? As far as I know on Chaturbate even to get contacts of the model it will cost a lot =/ Would be really glad to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Thanks a lot

Yes, if you want models to pose for you, or to use their copyrighted image in your art, ask permission.
And yes it might you money for contact info, because access to professional entertainers costs money. You could try asking models in their chat or in their twitter if they would like to participate, but don't be surprised if you get a no.

As an artist, think of how you feel when someone asks you to do your trade for free.

haha i'd sue the pants off you if you take a screenshot of my broadcast and publish it in your art book for commercial or not without permission

fuck your art, kid.
-photography art school dropout.

I’d be pissed and would take any and every legal avenue available to make sure that book didn’t see the light of day and that you faced civil charges.

Also, if you’re actually looking to have any sort of career in photography, you should be aware that you need model release forms when using images of another person in printed/digital media. And you need them to sign a 2257 form if the imagery is sexual in nature. Without these forms you can face civil penalties as well as criminal (criminal for nude photography without proper documentation proving the person in the image is of age). Based on that, I highly doubt any models will agree to your little project if it means they have to give some random “photography” student their personal info. And if they did agree, they deserve to be paid.

Perhaps try actually taking photos and doing legit photography instead of screen capping models?

You should probably also read up on copyright/intellectual property infringement.
from my experience, in most photography classes especially ones that focus on portraits, they do go over this so the photographer knows their rights. op should know the person operating the camera has copyright. pressing the prtscn button is not the same as operating the shutter. they would be making a copy of the original. its the same as trying to take your sears family portraits to cvs to get copies. not allowed.

from my experience, in most photography classes especially ones that focus on portraits, they do go over this so the photographer knows their rights. op should know the person operating the camera has copyright. pressing the prtscn button is not the same as operating the shutter. they would be making a copy of the original. its the same as trying to take your sears family portraits to cvs to get copies. not allowed.

Not only that, but there can be three or four different levels of legal ownership rights, depending on the situation. The photographer’s copyright is one. The legal owner of an original print/negative/digital file could be a whole other person. Completely separate from those are the publication rights (not necessarily owned by the photographer or the owner of the original piece, depending on the arrangement). And in some cases - possibly rare, but still - the person in the photos might have paperwork giving them some legal say on where, when or how their image is used (name and likeness rights).

So basically, OP could get sued by up to four different people. Per photo. Not counting the publisher or the book’s purchasers, who could also feel defrauded when the find out they were sold stolen goods.

Suddenly seems way cheaper to just do things the right way, no?

Former fine arts student here........nooooooooo. Nooooo. I don't even use my image for my own personal artistic practice, because I don't want to out myself as a SW. So if I don't get to use it, I'm definitely not letting anyone else use it.

I used to be a stripper in a city with a pretty large, active, art scene and this was an inside joke/meme we had, because somewhat often we would get someone who came into the club asking us to be their art project, and always for free. I always thought it said a bit of what those people thought of us - after all, how creepy would it be if you messaged someone you'd never even spoken to and went HI I MADE AN ART PROJECT ABOUT YOU? But somehow it's fine when it's a SW.

My ex-boyfriend is an artist, and even when we were dating he would not have used my image in any way without my permission.

I know a lot of these replies are harsh, but it's a good lesson to learn when you are a student photographer, especially a male photographer. Many women aren't comfortable shooting with male photographers because of attitudes like this. As you grow your career, your reputation and how you approach your subjects will be incredibly important - you will lose out on opportunities if you are known for being anything less than incredibly respectful and upfront.

Hey everyone, thanks for answers!

First of all, I'm not male) Secondly of course I'm aware about the model release, and that was the question – is it worth to try to ask? Or people will refuse to sign it even for money?

Also I don't understand the amount of negativity here to be honest, the reason I ask is that obviously I'm worried what people will think and how will they feel, and from the answer it feels
like I'm a stupid heartless bitch (which I'm not) :(
Former fine arts student here........nooooooooo. Nooooo. I don't even use my image for my own personal artistic practice, because I don't want to out myself as a SW. So if I don't get to use it, I'm definitely not letting anyone else use it.

I used to be a stripper in a city with a pretty large, active, art scene and this was an inside joke/meme we had, because somewhat often we would get someone who came into the club asking us to be their art project, and always for free. I always thought it said a bit of what those people thought of us - after all, how creepy would it be if you messaged someone you'd never even spoken to and went HI I MADE AN ART PROJECT ABOUT YOU? But somehow it's fine when it's a SW.

My ex-boyfriend is an artist, and even when we were dating he would not have used my image in any way without my permission.

I know a lot of these replies are harsh, but it's a good lesson to learn when you are a student photographer, especially a male photographer. Many women aren't comfortable shooting with male photographers because of attitudes like this. As you grow your career, your reputation and how you approach your subjects will be incredibly important - you will lose out on opportunities if you are known for being anything less than incredibly respectful and upfront.
I’d be pissed and would take any and every legal avenue available to make sure that book didn’t see the light of day and that you faced civil charges.

Also, if you’re actually looking to have any sort of career in photography, you should be aware that you need model release forms when using images of another person in printed/digital media. And you need them to sign a 2257 form if the imagery is sexual in nature. Without these forms you can face civil penalties as well as criminal (criminal for nude photography without proper documentation proving the person in the image is of age). Based on that, I highly doubt any models will agree to your little project if it means they have to give some random “photography” student their personal info. And if they did agree, they deserve to be paid.

Perhaps try actually taking photos and doing legit photography instead of screen capping models?
What would be your reaction if I reached out to you and ask for a signed model release and a price, for example?

Also I don't understand the amount of negativity here to be honest, the reason I ask is that obviously I'm worried what people will think and how will they feel, and from the answer it feels
like I'm a stupid heartless bitch (which I'm not) :(
The negativity is because your second sentence seemingly indicates that you are saving screenshots of models without their permission. Although you do ask about getting permission in the rest of the post, the way you wrote it makes it seem like you were going to do it anyways and then possibly ask for permission after the fact.

The biggest is you don't own copyright of those screenshots and trying to pass it off as your own art because you hit prtscrn. To one photographer to another, that leaves a real icky taste in my mouth. It's essentially taking a photo of someone else's image.

If it was a webcam that you are in control of, I wouldnt have a problem.

The negativity is because your second sentence seemingly indicates that you are saving screenshots of models without their permission. Although you do ask about getting permission in the rest of the post, the way you wrote it makes it seem like you were going to do it anyways and then possibly ask for permission after the fact.
Thats a fair point, will think about it. Thank you

Reactions: Nigerian Prince
As previously asked, how is this photography? How can you possibly try to pass it off as your work?

Maybe start again and ask the model first AND PAY for the private session from which you want to take screenshots? You are still not the photographer, but at least you can claim to be directing with the permission of the model

Reactions: Diana_Devil
Status
Not open for further replies.