1. ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
    Dismiss Notice

Please share Your favorite quotes.

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by jeff98902, Jun 27, 2013.

1. jeff98902

Are there any quotes that hit home with you? any that you live by?
    I am curious because of the trend of people feeling so strongly as to have them tattooed on their bodies.

Here are a few of my favorite quotes.

Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.
    -Arthur C. Clarke

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why...I dream of things that never were and say why not?"
    - Robert Kennedy

The people will believe what the media tells them to believe. - George Orwell

If we resist our passions, it is more due to their weakness than our strength. - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

• Like Like x 5
  2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well this isn't a quote that I live by or anything...it just makes me laugh:

"Put your trust in the Lord...your ass belongs to me (welcome to Shawshank)." :lol:

• Like Like x 5
  3. Poker_Babe

Cam Model

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
    ― George Orwell

“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
    ― Martin Luther King Jr

"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
    -Mark Twain

"I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing."
    -Socrates

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
    -Thomas Jefferson

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” (Quoting Cesare Beccaria)

• Like Like x 7
  4. BlueViolet

Inactive Cam Model

I've been really into Diogenes lately, if you can't tell from my signature. These aren't super inspirational or anything, but they are hilarious in the context and pretty profound actually.

When Plato gave Socrates' definition of man as a "featherless biped" and was highly praised for that specific definition, Diogenes plucked a chicken and brought it to Plato's Academy saying, "Behold! I've brought you a man!"

Also, from my signature:

"If I were not Diogenes, I should also wish to be Diogenes." Diogenes of Sinope said this to Alexander the Great. Although Diogenes was a homeless, exiled, and considered to be mad philosopher living in a big pot, Alexander looked up to him and asked him if he could do him any favor. Diogenes told him, "Yes," and to stand out of his sunlight. Alexander responded by saying if he were not Alexander, he would wish to be Diogenes to which Diogenes delivered that quote. I thought that was pretty amazing.

Oh Diogenes, he was quite the character.

I'll post some more quotable quotes later.

--

Since I don't want to post more Diogenes quotes, I'll just put them all in this post:

Alexander found Diogenes staring attentively at a pile of human bones, Diogenes explained:

"I am searching for the bones of your father but cannot distinguish them from those of a slave."

• Like Like x 3
  5. Crumb

We are the Universe, made manifest, trying to figure itself out - JMS (Delenn) of Babylon 5

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one - GRRM

• Like Like x 3
  6. emptiedglass

The third paragraph of The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams:

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy."

• Like Like x 9
  7. Just Me

"Note to self: finding a cool quote and writing it in your journal is not a substitute for Getting. It. Done."
    -Betsy Cañas Garmon
    ;)

• Like Like x 3
  8. Evvie

Inactive Cam Model

Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself; I am large, I contain multitudes. - Walt Whitman

• Like Like x 8
  9. bawksy

V.I.P. Member

TRIGGER WARNING - May cause nerd rage

My favoritest quotes are better conveyed via images.

Attached Files:

• q8.jpg
      q8.jpg
      File size:
      300.4 KB
      Views:
    • q7.jpg
      q7.jpg
      File size:
      36.1 KB
      Views:
    • q6.jpg
      q6.jpg
      File size:
      41.5 KB
      Views:
    • q5.jpg
      q5.jpg
      File size:
      61.4 KB
      Views:
    • q4.jpg
      q4.jpg
      File size:
      44.4 KB
      Views:
    • q3.jpg
      q3.jpg
      File size:
      25.7 KB
      Views:
    • q2.jpg
      q2.jpg
      File size:
      67.7 KB
      Views:
    • q1.jpg
      q1.jpg
      File size:
      13.8 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 10
  10. LuckySmiles

Cam Model

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"

"Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without"
    Confucius

"You gotta have fun. Regardless of how you look at it, we're playing a game. It's a business, it's our job, but I don't think you can do well unless you're having fun."
    Derek Jeter

• Like Like x 6
  11. Aella

Cam Model

"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."
    -Benjamin Franklin

• Like Like x 8
  12. rvrrat1977

Jesus is coming; Look busy.

• Like Like x 5
  13. southsamurai

Yours not to reason why;
    Yours but to do and die.

its a small snippet of a larger quote by eugene debs, though most people dont realize that

and his most famous quote:
    Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind then that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; and while there is a criminal element, I am of it; and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.

that one was used many times of the years by kurt vonnegut in his books and speeches, which is how i first heard of eugene debs. (seriously, look the dude up, he was brilliant)

• Like Like x 4
  14. JerryBoBerry

V.I.P. Member

From Monty Python's Meaning of Life.

Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.

• Like Like x 11
  15. Nordling

V.I.P. Member

‎"The Devil can cite scripture for his purpose." —Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice, Act 1, Scene 3

• Like Like x 8
  16. Lintilla

Cam Model

Personally I'd say... open a random page from the H2G2 trilogy and there's probably a favourite quote of mine on it. If I had to pick one I'd go with "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"

And from the Dirk Gently books, which I should really read again soon: "Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."

I currently have zero tattoos, but when I inevitably end up with some (I really have no idea how I made it to 31 without) the first, in any case, will certainly be Hitchhiker's related. I don't think I'd go with a full quote. Maybe a 42, a "Don't Panic" or a nice bowl of petunias.

• Like Like x 7
  17. AdamAdamant

“Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
    -Ford Prefect”

• Like Like x 8
  18. Sevrin

Actually
    This is being quoted, or, as here, paraphrased, all the time. It's hard to get through the day without seeing it, especially since the introduction of the Patriot Act in the U.S. People ignore that Ben was not talking about individual freedom here.

Source & further reading

Back OT

“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.”
    ― Jim Henson

“Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit.”
    ― Oscar Wilde

• Like Like x 6
  19. jeff98902

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself.
    Sir Richard Francis Burton

I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion. -Alexander the Great

• Like Like x 6
  20. Pippa Pirrip

Inactive Cam Model

"So I be written in the book of love, I do not care about that book above. Erase my name or write it as you will so I be written in the book of love." Omar Khayyám

"Where there is love, there is life." - Mahatma Gandhi

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the ways its animals are treated” – Mahatma Gandhi

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them."
    Dalai Lama

"I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." - Abraham Lincoln

• Like Like x 3
  21. Pippa Pirrip

Inactive Cam Model

I knew I forgot one! :)

22. Xeibriz

"For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who don't, none will do." -- Jerry Lewis

"If winning is not important, why do they keep score?" -- Lt. Worf ST:TNG

I know these are probably misquoted but I still like them.

• Like Like x 3
  23. PunkInDrublic

Banhammered

"Men, under the guidance of reason, desire nothing for themselves which they do not also desire for the rest of mankind."- Spinoza

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.- Frost

''Be yourself, Have faith in yourself, Express yourself. Dont go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it'' -Bruce Lee

• Like Like x 6
  24. Aella

Cam Model

I actually googled specifically to make sure Benjamin Franklin DID say that quote, curse wikiquotes for failing me!

And I care less what the context of the quote was, mainly because I like the words themselves - but the history is good to know anyway. The original american dudes frequently did/said shit that surprise us. Or me. Mainly surprise me. Thank you!

• Like Like x 4
  25. Red7227

Banhammered

"luck is the residue of design" Milton I think?

• Like Like x 2
  26. Bocefish

This may not go over so well here, but it's one of my all time funny favorites which still cracks me up every time I think of it... Jack Nicholson's reply to "How do you write women so well?"

Another funny one I like is:

There's a bunch I like from Thomas Jefferson and Henry David Thoreau too.

• Like Like x 5
  27. jeff98902

I have always liked that Adam Savage quote!

• Like Like x 1
  28. jeff98902

I feel this quote is relevant to all the ladies on MFC! ;)

Don't stay in bed, unless you can make money in bed.
    George Burns

• Like Like x 5
  29. Cocokittykat

Cam Model

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."- Maya Angelou

"How can we build a center for children to learn how to read, when they can't even fit into the school?"
    -Derek Zoolander

"Courage does not always roar,
    Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tommorow."-?

"No One Can Make You Feel Inferior
    Without Your Consent"
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do what you have to do, To do what you want to do" -?

• Like Like x 10
  30. jeff98902

"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure." Benny Hill

"A man of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key"
    Paul Valery

• Like Like x 3