AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Question about tipping for custom clips

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2020
I am new to all this so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I’m just trying to get feedback on the right thing to do.

A model on a fetish site agreed to film a custom clip for me. It was a fairly expensive clip ($250) and I waived exclusivity so she can sell it to her heart’s content on clip sites.

She did an amazing job with the clip. Honestly, I turned out better than I thought. I was really impressed with her clip and thought she did a better job than if I directed it myself.

I do plan on buying more clips from her down the road.

This was my first custom clip so I don’t know all the protocols.

Am I supposed to tip her and if so how much? This isn’t like a free cam show where I should tip bc the girl deserves to be paid for her time.

I’ve already paid her and paid her well plus she can collect more money off it selling on other sites. And if I tip on every future that could add up.

On the other hand I do think she went above and beyond with the clip and should be rewarded for that.

Am I supposed to tip? And if so how much is appropriate?

If you paid her the agreed price, then nothing further is required. However, if it's better than you expected as you said, then I see nothing wrong with a tip. The amount will really vary depending upon what you feel is appropriate, and I doubt the model would be unappreciative for it.

I am new to all this so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I’m just trying to get feedback on the right thing to do.

A model on a fetish site agreed to film a custom clip for me. It was a fairly expensive clip ($250) and I waived exclusivity so she can sell it to her heart’s content on clip sites.

She did an amazing job with the clip. Honestly, I turned out better than I thought. I was really impressed with her clip and thought she did a better job than if I directed it myself.

I do plan on buying more clips from her down the road.

Am I supposed to tip her and if so how much? This isn’t like a free cam show where I should tip bc the girl deserves to be paid for her time.

I’ve already paid her and paid her well plus she can collect more money off it selling on other sites. And if I tip on every future that could add up.

On the other hand I do think she went above and beyond with the clip and should be rewarded for that.

You're not supposed to tip, but definitely tell her how happy you are (and if her clip sites allow reviews maybe offer to leave one!)

That said, the times ive been tipped after a custom video was delivered have really made my fucking day so if you want to tip - go for it. She'll be all the more excited to take your next custom. I can't speak to what would be appropriate - any tip is a good tip. If it was me I'd tip $10-50 depending on what I could afford. Probably don't do like $1 lol since it was a $250 custom..

Side note: I'm happy to see a happy-custom-customer post here for once! I'm really glad you got such a great video.

I don't think it is required, but if you feel like it was even better than expected then I think even a small tip would be a nice idea. :)
I know that when I get a tip after a custom, even if only $10,I am over the moon!

You're not supposed to tip, but definitely tell her how happy you are (and if her clip sites allow reviews maybe offer to leave one!)

That said, the times ive been tipped after a custom video was delivered have really made my fucking day so if you want to tip - go for it. She'll be all the more excited to take your next custom. I can't speak to what would be appropriate - any tip is a good tip. If it was me I'd tip $10-50 depending on what I could afford. Probably don't do like $1 lol since it was a $250 custom..

Side note: I'm happy to see a happy-custom-customer post here for once! I'm really glad you got such a great video.
*you're not expected to ...

I phrased that weird. Supposed to makes it sound like it bad to tip

• Funny!
Reactions: DoD404
Tips are not needed, but immensely appreciated.

Let your appreciation correlate with your tip size. Money often speaks louder than words in this business, so if you tip and include your thank you note with the tip, it will definitely have a bigger impact than just saying thank you.

In 9.5 years of producing custom videos, less than a handful of customers have tipped to say thank you, and just as few have even remembered to say thank you at all. You will stand out as a kickass customer and likely receive more enthusiastic filming on future orders by sending a thank you tip.

Just my piddly two cents as someone who makes 90% of their income on custom content.

Id agree that nothing else is expected after you pay for a custom. However, if you loved it so much you'd like to send a tip- go for it! It'll make her day. Definitely include a thank you note and you can even say that you're planning on future orders but may not always be able to tip. I know I'm even more appreciative if someone tipped me what they could. It means more to me at least and doesn't make her feel bad if you order another clip and can't afford to tip then.

Tips are not needed, but immensely appreciated.

Let your appreciation correlate with your tip size. Money often speaks louder than words in this business, so if you tip and include your thank you note with the tip, it will definitely have a bigger impact than just saying thank you.

In 9.5 years of producing custom videos, less than a handful of customers have tipped to say thank you, and just as few have even remembered to say thank you at all. You will stand out as a kickass customer and likely receive more enthusiastic filming on future orders by sending a thank you tip.

Just my piddly two cents as someone who makes 90% of their income on custom content.

That's unfortunate that there's so many who don't even say a word of thanks. The few customs I've had done, I've always made sure to express at least a thank you, and include some insightful feedback of what I really liked about the clip. Not in terms of sexual aspect. But, more in terms of setting, acting, a particular moment where there's "a look", etc. Even if they aren't customs, I try to do this if I have a good business relationship with the model as I think it provides good info. There's been a couple of clips I've picked up where they weren't exactly to my liking, and I'll state as such but still provide positive feedback and be sure to express that it was more on me for liking it. I've had some clips where they are done really well but turned out to not be my thing. Can't blame the model for that.

Reactions: Rose
That's unfortunate that there's so many who don't even say a word of thanks. The few customs I've had done, I've always made sure to express at least a thank you, and include some insightful feedback of what I really liked about the clip. Not in terms of sexual aspect. But, more in terms of setting, acting, a particular moment where there's "a look", etc. Even if they aren't customs, I try to do this if I have a good business relationship with the model as I think it provides good info. There's been a couple of clips I've picked up where they weren't exactly to my liking, and I'll state as such but still provide positive feedback and be sure to express that it was more on me for liking it. I've had some clips where they are done really well but turned out to not be my thing. Can't blame the model for that.
After the pattern was recognized in my second year of filming, I started putting everyone who doesn’t say thank you or even acknowledge that I sent the video on a shit list to never film for again. If I kept track of the actual numbers, it would be heartbreaking and infuriating. This just saves time for me to not waste precious minutes negotiating future customs for ungrateful selfish turds.

The list of people who never respond at all, even when I get the auto message saying their file was downloaded, is muuuuuuuuuuuuch higher than the people who just never say thank you. Genuine thank yous are so few and far between that the people who do say thank you and the people who thank you tip stand out extraordinarily.

It is pretty annoying to work so hard on a video (way more work than I thought it would be when I first started) and not get a thank you or any feedback, but I figure if they re-order again they are thanking me with their money.

yeah i just delivered one of the most challenging videos I've ever made ... and zero response over the last 2 weeks.

I can only assume he hates it but I sent him screenshots as I was editing and he was excited, and I did what he wanted ... so I'm not sure?? like.. :(

You overthink the situation. Apart from camming i work as a freelance 2D animator as a freelancer. Buying a custom vid from a model is not different then hiring a freelancer for whatever job (graphics, sound, code, copyright...). in both cases there is a contract between two persons, for a commissioned content, for a certain price.

If you think that the job was overdone, you should express it financially, but you have no obligation about it. I think it happened only once to me as a freelancer in a situation where I did way more work then paid for free (including hours of talking for consulting about the better approach and rework badly made work by the precedent freelancer).

Through as a commissioner, you always have a moral obligation of giving a feedback, both cammodels and freelancers rely mostly on their portfolio and recommendations from previous commissioners for future jobs/revenues. In both of my jobs i would prefer a good advertising then a small financial reward. It's also extremely rewarding to have a new member/client that came to ask you for something because X recommend you to him, based on a previous experience.

This is just the next level of mems quitting a pvt just after cumming, without even a goodbye.

You overthink the situation. Apart from camming i work as a freelance 2D animator as a freelancer. Buying a custom vid from a model is not different then hiring a freelancer for whatever job (graphics, sound, code, copyright...). in both cases there is a contract between two persons, for a commissioned content, for a certain price.

If you think that the job was overdone, you should express it financially, but you have no obligation about it. I think it happened only once to me as a freelancer in a situation where I did way more work then paid for free (including hours of talking for consulting about the better approach and rework badly made work by the precedent freelancer).

Through as a commissioner, you always have a moral obligation of giving a feedback, both cammodels and freelancers rely mostly on their portfolio and recommendations from previous commissioners for future jobs/revenues. In both of my jobs i would prefer a good advertising then a small financial reward. It's also extremely rewarding to have a new member/client that came to ask you for something because X recommend you to him, based on a previous experience.

Having been a consultant myself, both independent and as a subcontractor through another agency, it's imperative to know and understand the level and amount of work required to complete a task. This helps prevent underbidding, and doing work for free. Of course, there's times where it's difficult to know everything up front because unexpected things happen. But, this should really be the exception, not the rule. At which point, there's two ways to do it. The first is to mention in the initial negotiation that if additional work is discovered, then it'll need to be discussed for additional compensation. The second, is that if it's minimal work, you could always eat the cost as a PR move for a high mark recommendation. Sometimes a small gesture such as this can provide much greater rewards in the long run.

This is just the next level of mems quitting a pvt just after cumming, without even a goodbye.

Agreed, which I have issues with as well. I'm one who always tries to leave at least a couple of minutes at the end of privates for conversation, and thank you. I've found that most models I interact with appreciate some downtime to just chat, catch their breath, etc. before going back to public. Gives it a bit more of a human level interaction, especially since nearly all privates have been with models I've known for quite a while. Even ones I may not have done a private with before, we've interacted with each other in public chat enough so I can get a sense of what she's like.

In the rare instances where lose track of time and run out of tokens, I do my best to let them know what happened and thank them for their time. If I enjoyed it, and would like to do another in the future, I let them know. On the rare instances where it wasn't quite enjoyable, I'll simply thank them for their time and wish them a good rest of their day.

IMO, nothing wrong with being courteous to someone you most likely enjoyed some time with.

yeah i just delivered one of the most challenging videos I've ever made ... and zero response over the last 2 weeks.

I can only assume he hates it but I sent him screenshots as I was editing and he was excited, and I did what he wanted ... so I'm not sure?? like.. :(
I’ve had pretty much this exact thing happen so many fucking times. I feel you.❤️

Reactions: DoD404
sometimes, it needs to manage a quite time to check a video .... wait another saturday night :)
Well, what the hell. Even if the customer can't actually view the custom video right away, the normal, polite thing to do is saying something like "Thank you very much! Busy right now, but I'll watch it later!".
Mankind have had protocol on social interaction in place for thousands of years, and most of us are brought up so say please and thank you and my condolences and other things that works as social lubricant, but somehow it doesn't count when you deal with sex workers? It's just fucking rude. Period.

I just forgot to add the special needed tag on this forum : [irony] but @Miss_Lollipop surely understood.
Just keep cool. Period also.

Of course ! the minimum expected is an acknowledgment.
A thank you is my ack with a 1st appreciation on anything I can appreciate, even before opening.
I also oftenly send more feed-backs later, by mail or in room.
Concerning extra tip, I did. Essentially in room, just because it's better to see her smile also.

I just forgot to add the special needed tag on this forum : [irony] but @Miss_Lollipop surely understood.
Just keep cool. Period also.

Of course ! the minimum expected is an acknowledgment.
A thank you is my ack with a 1st appreciation on anything I can appreciate, even before opening.
I also oftenly send more feed-backs later, by mail or in room.
Concerning extra tip, I did. Essentially in room, just because it's better to see her smile also.
Yeah i didn't get any acknowledgment, just can see he saw the message. Sent a follow up on snap he is ignoring.

He hates me :(

Or your video was so extraordinarily hot and sexy that he died in front of his laptop from a lack of blood to the head while watching it.
But seriously, being outright ghosted after making a custom video is just bizarre. Let's hope he comes to his senses after he's done wanking. Geezes.

Say if you need a hug.
its the ..2nd.. most expensive custom I've ever made too. It's a 2 hour video. Anyway, i know I did a decent job of it.. I did exactly what he asked. And I know the video will sell (and it's not an exclusive) so I'm OK with it. I got paid. I just hate not knowing you know ?? I'm good, I'm fairly used to it.. it was just strange cos he was so talkative till I sent it.

You guys are so sweet :)

I buy a lot of customs (around 1 every 1,5 weeks or so for the past months or so), and I too am guilty of not always say thank you. There are several reasons for that to happen:

1) Too busy. Some time ago, I bought someones entire videostore (around 500) from Manyvids. I want them all edited, sorted and backupped which is all very time-consuming. So when the custom was ready, I downloaded it and planned to watch it later. Later sometimes was 2-3 weeks later and though it would be weird to give the feedback then.
2) Seeing it as just a business transaction. Sometimes I have multiple customs at once and when one was done I just saw it as buying a bread at the bakery; I've payed, you delivered, done.
3) Don't want to bother model. I'm probably a minority in this but I like to limit contact as much as possible. For example, except to discuss privates and customs I never pm or mail a model thinking she has better things to do than read my messages.
4) Disappointed in video. When the custom was disappointing. I don't like to lie to the model so I'd rather not say anything.

Yes I agree with everybody, that the model should be thanked for the video. A custom is something very special. It was made just for YOU and should be treated much higher than a video you buy from a clipstore for example.
I will make sure to say thanks everytime now.

Just one more thing about possible disappointing video's; Sometimes I have this very strict storyline in my head where everything is perfect. And just one tiny difference in the movie that does not fit this perfection could turn the perfect video into a disappointing one. Ofcourse perfection doesn't exist and I learned to live with that, but for some people this is not yet the case.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Miss_Lollipop
I buy a lot of customs (around 1 every 1,5 weeks or so for the past months or so), and I too am guilty of not always say thank you. There are several reasons for that to happen:

1) Too busy. Some time ago, I bought someones entire videostore (around 500) from Manyvids. I want them all edited, sorted and backupped which is all very time-consuming. So when the custom was ready, I downloaded it and planned to watch it later. Later sometimes was 2-3 weeks later and though it would be weird to give the feedback then.
2) Seeing it as just a business transaction. Sometimes I have multiple customs at once and when one was done I just saw it as buying a bread at the bakery; I've payed, you delivered, done.
3) Don't want to bother model. I'm probably a minority in this but I like to limit contact as much as possible. For example, except to discuss privates and customs I never pm or mail a model thinking she has better things to do than read my messages.
4) Disappointed in video. When the custom was disappointing. I don't like to lie to the model so I'd rather not say anything.

Yes I agree with everybody, that the model should be thanked for the video. A custom is something very special. It was made just for YOU and should be treated much higher than a video you buy from a clipstore for example.
I will make sure to say thanks everytime now.

Just one more thing about possible disappointing video's; Sometimes I have this very strict storyline in my head where everything is perfect. And just one tiny difference in the movie that does not fit this perfection could turn the perfect video into a disappointing one. Ofcourse perfection doesn't exist and I learned to live with that, but for some people this is not yet the case.
Some thoughts about your reasons... which I appreciate you sharing!

1) Feedback that comes late is still better than never. I'd just say "sorry its taken me a while to message you but I wanted to say"
2) Thats understandable but even when we purchase at stores we say thank you to the cashier
3) 100% appreciated if you dont send a novel. But a quick acknowledgement = always good.
4) "got the video!" = An easy way to provide acknowledgment without any thank you if the model did a bad job. If the video was not what you wanted but you can see that the model did fulfill the brief I still think a quick thank you is warranted.

I personally would still rather hear constructive feedback even though it might sting a little bit. And if I have gotten something actually wrong (ie. you said to do x in the description and I forgot it) I like to try to fix that somehow. I might be alone in this, maybe most would rather not know they disappointed. But if there's an opportunity to correct an actual mistake on my part, I'd like to take it.. and hopefully keep a customer.

One type of feedback i really dont appreciate is: "I wish you had done Xyz" when it wasn't in the description at all. I feel like that's useless, and down to the buyer's communication skills.

I have had people tell me things like "Thank you so much for the video! I really appreciated all the effort you put in and you did exactly what I asked. I think I learned from this that I need to be a bit more clear about the angles I want since some of them weren't exactly what I had in my head, but I still enjoyed what you made for me" -- This was fine. It made me aware that next time I need to ask follow up questions on angles from this person, and he acknowledges that it's his fault since he didn't state what angles he wanted

Customs for me are a collaboration. So as I learn more about what customers like/don't like in videos it can help me make something better and better for them.

Some thoughts about your reasons... which I appreciate you sharing!

1) Feedback that comes late is still better than never. I'd just say "sorry its taken me a while to message you but I wanted to say"
2) Thats understandable but even when we purchase at stores we say thank you to the cashier
3) 100% appreciated if you dont send a novel. But a quick acknowledgement = always good.
4) "got the video!" = An easy way to provide acknowledgment without any thank you if the model did a bad job. If the video was not what you wanted but you can see that the model did fulfill the brief I still think a quick thank you is warranted.

I personally would still rather hear constructive feedback even though it might sting a little bit. And if I have gotten something actually wrong (ie. you said to do x in the description and I forgot it) I like to try to fix that somehow. I might be alone in this, maybe most would rather not know they disappointed. But if there's an opportunity to correct an actual mistake on my part, I'd like to take it.. and hopefully keep a customer.

One type of feedback i really dont appreciate is: "I wish you had done Xyz" when it wasn't in the description at all. I feel like that's useless, and down to the buyer's communication skills.

I have had people tell me things like "Thank you so much for the video! I really appreciated all the effort you put in and you did exactly what I asked. I think I learned from this that I need to be a bit more clear about the angles I want since some of them weren't exactly what I had in my head, but I still enjoyed what you made for me" -- This was fine. It made me aware that next time I need to ask follow up questions on angles from this person, and he acknowledges that it's his fault since he didn't state what angles he wanted

Customs for me are a collaboration. So as I learn more about what customers like/don't like in videos it can help me make something better and better for them.
ALL OF THIS👏👏👏

I waived exclusivity so she can sell it to her heart’s content on clip sites.

Tips are an extra courtesy, but as long as the clip isnt something specific to you like for example her constantly saying your name or having it written on her etc then in many cases that is more of a kindness than a tip if she can profit further from it.

I would like to say that I did say thanks several times though. One video especially was so good, I told her I loved the video and payed double the price of the next custom as a thankyou.
I do feel ashamed about being silent several times. I just never realized a thankyou or feedback is so important for the model. I will never be silent again.
This is the exact reason I'm glad to have found this forum. It just not only helps models but also to educate the members about the camworld. Which in return helps the model also. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.