AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Sexual harassment

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 25, 2013
Midwest USA
Twitter Username
@pg2400
MFC Username
pg240
Ohio State University's policy now states that staring can be considered sexual harassment. Seems like it could be problematic with regard to enforcement, but it sure is an interesting development. I'm sure all of you models have felt the violation of unwanted ogling. How do you feel about this?

I would be shocked to actually see a university actually enforce sexual harassment policies.

Speaking from experience though, having someone stare at you in that creepy "I would rape you girl" way day after day really really is unsettling and can leave one to feel threatened so I am sure the policy isn't "Hey you look at a girl and she doesn't like it=harassment" I feel like a lot of people try to get away with threatening people with "I was just looking at them!" It probably seems silly to a lot of people who haven't experienced it, but certain looks for extended periods of time can be extremely threatening. And legally speaking all you actually need is that threat.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

One the one hand having someone stare in a very aggressive and uncomfortable way can be a bit much.

But, when is it a crime to stare? Everyone does it......

Guess case by case basis right? Everything is open for interpretation? .

I just had a woman stare at me. I was putting stuff in my car at Walmart and she was pretending to be waiting for my parking spot and it dawned on me that she checking me out, in a sexual way. In truth though, I am pretty hot.

In any case, I'm going to stop looking at people. It's just not worth it.

In any case, I'm going to stop looking at people. It's just not worth it.
It would be a sad world if it came down to being afraid of everything like this.

As far as the school making this policy... there won't be an easy way to enforce it, and I see it being abused pretty hardcore. Anyway, haven't a lot of colleges gotten bad publicity lately for not knowing how to handle sexual harassment and sexual assault properly and legally?

The problem I see is if this expands to the general public.

You can wave a nazi or confederate flag, insult people or write anything you want without consequence (the First Amendment), but you'll get busted if you stare at someone?

It's a slippery slope. (I know, dumb overused phrase, but it seems to fit).

Staring is such a tricky one because it can totally be invasive and uncomfortable, but since it's not as blatant as verbal/physical activity, it's harder to tell someone off for or to punish someone for.

I'm not sure how you could enforce that, but as has been stated, they rarely enforce sexual harassment at schools anyways so I doubt it will come up often. I wonder if it was a specific incident that led to them adding this.

they rarely enforce sexual harassment at schools anyways
See, I was posting because of the opposite. I've read stories of Universities taking action against people falsely just on the word of the victim, then down the road get sued for wrongful expulsion/punitive action. Imagine if they started punishing every person accused of staring, even if the complainant just "had a feeling" and no proof or anything to go on?

This must just be some legal beagle type of thing. I've definitely been stared at in obvious ways that made me feel less than comfortable, but I just shoot an eye dagger, verbally correct the person and move on. I don't think people should be made to feel embarrassed by rude stares, at all, but humans kind of suck. Interacting with others is sometimes uncomfortable. The time to teach people that no one wants to be objectified when they're running to the store in the middle of the night to buy tampons and doritos happens way before college.

This also makes actual socially impaired people or visually impaired people kind of vulnerable. The sight in one of my eyes is dwindling very slowly, and I sometimes have to look at things longer or more than once. I would hate to be like reading someone's shirt or tattoo and end up being called out for "harassment".

I was stared out by a mom several weeks ago when I was wearing my short swim trunks, the smile on her face made me happy about all the time spent exercising. I am no longer embarrassed to be seen without a shirt on. I can understand why women might be more upset by random dudes staring though.

One of my phobias is walking down hallways the same direction as strange women alone in hotels, I just have this strange fear they are going to spin and spray me with mace one day. I just feel safer in crowds.

I'm sure it has to rise to a level way beyond checking out someone walking by, but be approaching stalking. [I observed a situation like this when I was in college, where a guy turned around in class and stared at a woman over and over. It was really unsettling and creepy, and absolutely the school had the duty to put a stop to it.]

The relevant standard is 'creating a hostile environment', and while I'm sure there are problems with how things are enforced, Universities have to be very careful with how they deal with these things--there have been cases, as Amber noted, of an unfair expulsion of a guy from a school where the school lost the ensuing lawsuit. On the other side, in the US anyway, Universities have to adhere to what's called 'Title IX' which is part of the Civil Rights act, where schools, if they know (or "should have known") of sexual harassment or assault, are responsible for stopping it. Schools who are caught sweeping things under the rug to avoid embarrassment get in big trouble with the Justice Dept.

The staring thing isn't about making it a crime, but about maintaining an environment conducive to learning. Universities can kick out whomever they want -- as long as there are clearly-stated policies about what is expected behavior. That's probably what's going on in the staring thing--to make it clear that unwanted attention that doesn't involve touching can be harassment.

Yes, I work in a University. Yes, I have had to sit through many hours of meetings on this subject. No, the Dean's Office isn't going to kick you out for checking out a hottie.

I personally check out hotties when the hotties are really into it. Like when they hear that MFC tip jingle sound.

I looked up Ohio State University to see what I could find and this showed up.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/a...nted-brushing-against-someone/article/2570412

I feel like the article is blowing things a little out of proportion.

There's a huge difference between say, brushing against someone as you move through a crowded bus trying to get to that one open seat, and the fucker who was grinding his ass on my shoulder the whole ride. Your average human is going to realize that the first example is just going to happen and isn't avoidable, whereas the second is definitely sexual harassment.

And, yeah, hugs are not typically sexual harassment, but I've read statements from multiple women about guys (sometimes strangers) who would, in public settings, say something to a woman along the lines of, "what, you're not gonna give me a hug?" which creates an atmosphere where the woman is coerced into delivering said hug because if she didn't, she would be the one who would look like an ass.

Reactions: Amelia Liddell
So glad my college days are behind me. Nature and human physiology compel men to notice women they find attractive. Especially when they wear summer dresses or pencil skirts. *cough*

Even when they're elderly, men still notice pretty girls. If you've ever seen the way an old man lights up like a Christmas tree when a cute young gal smiles or gives him a hug then you know what I mean. It's just how most men are wired (at least the straight guys that is) even if some try to pretend otherwise these days.

One of my favorite Dean Martin songs celebrates just being out on the street and appreciating the abundance of feminine beauty. Today I guess he'd be charged with stalking, or maybe for 'staring.'

Regarding the Ohio State thing specifically... I found this earlier today. -- http://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/ohio-state-counts-staring-as-sexual-harrassment/

They posted a graphic from Ohio State's online Student Wellness resource showing the difference between 'Sexual Harassment vs. Flirting.'

2ZiyM7j.jpg

Men aren't psychic. We have no idea how a gal they're interested in will respond to flirting. They may be able to use intuitive clues like body language but even then that's not a guarantee that it won't be misread and you won't set someone off. Today, if a guy walks up to a gal and says "Dang, you sure are pretty," he can get any number of reactions, from "Well thanks! Hey, you're cute too!" to "Thanks..." to "Pig! I'm speed dialing the cops and my lawyer." The end result? Guys become way, way more reluctant to even approach gals they're interested in. Even when it's sweet, well-intentioned or innocuous. A comment that might make a young woman respond positively and receptively to a guy could just as well be met with a raised voice and angry accusations of sexism and misogyny. I can see where young men, especially in college, throw up their hands and say "Screw it! It's not worth the risk of starting a conversation!" Cripes, I bet some guys at Ohio State are worried they'll have a female lab partner now. "God, will she think I was cleaning this beaker too suggestively?! I don't wanna get kicked out of school!"

I say that with hyperbole but the concern now is quite real. I have two much younger cousins (twins, male and female) who just graduated the same college this past spring and who are both grad students now at different schools. For the last two years of school the sister told her brother not to approach anyone, but if he was interested in someone float it past her and she would tell him if the gal in question would react positively or negatively. Not in regard to going out with him, mind you, but in regard to whether or not that person was open to even having a guy talk to her. When he was explaining this to me at his graduation party, it didn't surprise me. He asked me what I thought about it; I told him if I were him I'd focus on grad school and then find someone he went to church with (he and his sister are very active in church life). But I was sad for him. He lives in a culture that places value on finding offense in things. I didn't have that when I was his age. Back in the early 90's you could talk to a gal you were interested in, either hit it off or get shot down. You either went out (or went back to someone's apartment... hey, it was college) or you went merrily on your separate way. It was great.

If we keep going this way gals are going to wonder why men stopped talking to women altogether and where they've all gone. The answer? They'll be home, watching MFC, where they won't be judged and shamed for staring. So... this may turn out to be a good thing for camgirls! Heh!

Just my two cents. Hope it's not offensive; just trying to explain it from another view. :pompous:

Oh No, the PC police are out in force...

I know when ive had a heavy night, the next day i have a horrible habit of just zoning out... Be it at a person, a cat or a piece of dry toast im willing myself to eat.... In all cases, most people dont realise they are staring, and mistakes could be made, and people lives will get unsettled...

Words and actions hurt... Unless youre a mind reader, other peoples thought are their own, no matter how perverted or unsettling they can be... Until an action has occured i just dont think its good enough ground to persecute someone...

Jesus my resting bitch face makes people think i want to murder them.. but its litrally a blank stare... Id be in alot of trouble :cat:

Status
Not open for further replies.