AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Skype problems ahead?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmberCutie

ACF Owner & Admin. (I don't work for CB.)
Staff member
Cam Model
Mar 1, 2010
AmberLand (Seattle, WA)
Twitter Username
@amberlynnegirl
MFC Username
AmberCutie
ManyVids URL
https://www.manyvids.com/Profile/1000458969/AmberCutie/
According to many articles, Skype 7 will be discontinued next month, requiring all users to upgrade to a brand new format in Skype 8.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/27/microsoft-will-end-support-for-skype-classic-in-november/

And here's a blurb from a different article about the downsides of this:

Here are just a few features available in Skype 7, but not in the new Skype 8:

• Skype Classic let you have multiple windows, so you could have several different chat conversations open at once across your desktop, or have your contacts list in a separate window. Skype 8 limits you to a single window.
  • Skype Classic let you run two or more instances of Skype, making it easy to sign in with both a personal and work account on the same PC. Skype 8 doesn’t let you do this. You can only sign in with a single account at a time.
  • Skype 8 only lets you set your status as Available, Do Not Disturb, or Invisible. Skype Classic also let you set your status as Away, but that’s gone.
  • Many fewer options are available. For example, Skype Classic lets you enable or disable individual sound events and choose custom sound effects for them. Skype 8 just provides a single toggle to enable or disable all in-app sounds without customizing them.
  • The version of Skype 8 included with Windows 10 can’t read DirectShow device inputs, but only camera inputs available to UWP apps. This means you can’t use software like Open Broadcaster Software (OBS), Xsplit, or Manycam to capture your screen and share it on Skype. Sure, Skype has built-in screen recording, but some people depend on the more advanced features in other applications. (You can download the “desktop” version of Skype 8 from Microsoft’s website to get this feature.)
  • You can’t disable emoji, and Skype automatically expands them. So you can’t type a serious sentence like “He was pretty out of it (drunk) that night.” If you do, Skype will automatically convert “(drunk)” into a silly-looking animated face, as that’s just one of Skype’s emoji. It’s wacky, and not something everyone wants in a chat client.

So if you're a heavy Skype user, be prepared for some changes, and some difficulties as your paying members struggle with the new platform as well.

Ugh...

I don't mind the single instance, as that's all I do at one time anyway. But, some of the others is just very poorly handled.

And skype 12 for Windows is even worse. It has far less features. It really sucks.

i want to add to this topic that the latest plugin from skyprivate is compatible with all skype versions, including Skype 8.
even more, now you can do skype pay per minute shows on the go, from your phone.

as in regard to skype app - Microsoft is just doing the same thing over again - messing up the app they buy.

Can't recommend Discord enough. One great thing is that you dont even need to be members on the same "Chat" channel to create a link to another person, as long as you have a user name you can message/video/voice talk etc. It also works with OBS, while you may to install a plugin to get everything working, it is convenient.

Sort of a side story to Discord - a group of us would often stay in a models room after she left (CB) and chat for long periods of time, long after she had logged off. The frustrating part was if someone was disconnected, or wanted to join into the conversation later they couldn't as the model had gone and the room was now technically 'offline'. So we set up a Discord channel so we could have these conversations at out leisure, and it has become a great place to stay in touch. As a lot of us are all over the world, time-zones can be problematic - but the small group of us now stay in touch fairly regularly and have built a small community of online friends.

It's worth asking. I rarely have Discord acting up when doing shows compared to Skype.

For myself, I don't use these apps for shows. More or less just messaging. If I do a Pvt/show it is on the site with the model.

Reactions: AudriTwo
To those of you who love Discord:

- Is it possible to resize the area of the video stream you're receiving from the model or am I stuck with the default size, which on my 4K monitor is tiny. (I like to have the ability to change the size, depending on how much of the screen I need for other windows that are open.)
- Is there a way to get rid of the darkening gradient on the top 10-15% of the video feed? (I'm not sure what its purpose is, but on Discord the top part of the video area has a gradient and it gets darker near the top. It's only a minor annoyance, but why does it have to be there?)

If I have a choice between chatting on Discord or Skype, based on these two issues I'm having with Discord and all else being equal as far as their impact my chats, I would still choose Skype, despite me not really liking the newer versions. My biggest gripe with the new Skype was that at one point it didn't even show who was online and who was offline. At least they fixed that now, but I agree it's a lot worse than before Microsoft started "improving" it. Like I said, I still prefer it over Discord, though, for the two reasons above.

To those of you who love Discord:

- Is it possible to resize the area of the video stream you're receiving from the model or am I stuck with the default size, which on my 4K monitor is tiny. (I like to have the ability to change the size, depending on how much of the screen I need for other windows that are open.)
- Is there a way to get rid of the darkening gradient on the top 10-15% of the video feed? (I'm not sure what its purpose is, but on Discord the top part of the video area has a gradient and it gets darker near the top. It's only a minor annoyance, but why does it have to be there?)

If I have a choice between chatting on Discord or Skype, based on these two issues I'm having with Discord and all else being equal as far as their impact my chats, I would still choose Skype, despite me not really liking the newer versions. My biggest gripe with the new Skype was that at one point it didn't even show who was online and who was offline. At least they fixed that now, but I agree it's a lot worse than before Microsoft started "improving" it. Like I said, I still prefer it over Discord, though, for the two reasons above.

Double click on the video to change size. I'm not sure what gradient you are speaking of since I make my video bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.