AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Skype shows... scams?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Madam_Lilith

Cam Model
So I've had a lot of people ask if I do them. I have it on my whiteboard and I've only cammed 4 times at this point. A guy whose been in my room basically every time told me to be careful with Skype shows. Something about guys wanting to just locate IP addresses... is that a thing?

It could be a thing. But they could locate your IP address from the platform you do your live camming from. The main concern about skype shows, especially for newer models who don't have tons of experience, is that it is easy for a user to take advantage of you. They'll try to get more time for nothing, or they will pay you farrrrrrrrrr less than your time is worth. OR they will attempt to get you to agree to accepting payment via a platform that is not safe for sex-work (paypal specifically).

A lot of us do offer skype shows, but I would suggest not offering them until you are more in tune with your live stream and have a better feel for your general audience.

And if you do decide to offer skype, never accept anything less than what you would make during a private show on your camming platform.

I think it was patched out, but you used to be able to get an IP address just by knowing someone's Skype username. I don't think this is possible anymore. However, somebody could also use a packet sniffing tool. Although most people probably wouldn't have a clue about how to use one or what they were actually looking at.

Really, I think it's less of an issue than your guest makes it out to be. Some people will timewaste and try to get free Skype shows, but as long as you demand tokens up front you can protect yourself from that.

I also offer Skype shows, but was hesitant to in the beginning. I started out on Chaturbate, where I really didn't get many Skype show requests. Then I moved to MFC, where it seemed ALL I got were Skype requests! I had to learn this new site, so I didn't want to overwhelm myself by throwing Skype's in the mix, so that's what I did. I learned the site, got my room going, and then would tell people who inquired that I would be doing Skypes, be patient. I wasn't super familiar with skype and privacy so I wanted to make sure my ass was covered. Once I realized you can hide all of your personal info, and MANY other models seemed to feel comfortable enough doing them, I started offering them. I tell everyone (and put on my whiteboard) that I CHARGE THE SAME AS A PVT ON THE SITE. I don't understand, to this day, why so many members think they should get some sort of discount? No. In fact, I am charging regular pvt rates instead of true pvt, which I should be doing. I have some that happily pay that and keep returning, and then those who ask how much I charge and then leave once I tell them. BYE. Don't back down, get your tokens up front, and set a timer- it's too easy to lose track of time. Good luck!

1. In settings >>> General on Skype theres an option to "Share my location with Bing" not sure that's the same as sharing IP address (or who the fuck even uses Bing lol) but you might want to turn that off.

2. If you're super worried about your IP address being exposed you can get a VPN (Virtual Private Network) for around $3-$5 per month, and it will totally hide your IP and Internet usage. There are a ton, this is the one I've heard great things about: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

3. Thank you for this thread. I've also received a TON of Skype requests and have also found myself hitting the breaks on them. It's confusing to know what to charge, what is expected, and just generally how to keep yourself/info safe. I also don't want Skypes/PVT to interrupt my chatroom flow. I'm thinking about adding them to m MFC share and specifying that people have to schedule them. Regardless, it's nice to know I'm not alone!

Best of Luck!
Layla

• Helpful!
Reactions: StarSpirit
1. In settings >>> General on Skype theres an option to "Share my location with Bing" not sure that's the same as sharing IP address (or who the fuck even uses Bing lol) but you might want to turn that off.

2. If you're super worried about your IP address being exposed you can get a VPN (Virtual Private Network) for around $3-$5 per month, and it will totally hide your IP and Internet usage. There are a ton, this is the one I've heard great things about: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

3. Thank you for this thread. I've also received a TON of Skype requests and have also found myself hitting the breaks on them. It's confusing to know what to charge, what is expected, and just generally how to keep yourself/info safe. I also don't want Skypes/PVT to interrupt my chatroom flow. I'm thinking about adding them to m MFC share and specifying that people have to schedule them. Regardless, it's nice to know I'm not alone!

Best of Luck!
Layla

Anyone whose asked I've advised I won't leave my live show to do and that we'd have to set up it up for a specific time. Thank you for the additional info. :) I thought I had done sooo much research before I started but now I might have more questions. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.