AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Snapchat weirdness - caution advised

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2022
I have a snapchat account. I follow precisely one person - the model who I visit regularly.

Yesterday, I got a friend recommendation with a very distinctive username which matched the username of a Streamate model I've seen in the passing. I've never visited this model and so obviously there's not some kind of web history trail. She doesn't have my phone number or my email address nor me hers. In fact, she only shows up on my Streamate homepage because geographically she is in the same part of the world as me. That's why I've seen the very distinctive username. I'm not going to reveal what it is but rest assured there are three very distinctive mispelt words in a row in the username which match the Snapchat profile exactly so there is no doubt it's the same person. The avatar totally matches the real person as well 😄

There is no way she could be connected to the model I visit (or at least it's a millions to one chance) because they are in different continents. So that begs the question, is it just pure coincidence? Or is there some kind of algorithm there that I don't understand.

I'm not concerned. I've no interest in friending her and I've also no issue that she sees my profile but it does raise some worrying questions about privacy for cam models and members. There is clearly something somewhere that understands that I visit cam models and recommends random profiles to me. There are a few other suspiciously cam-modelesque usernames in my recommendations despite me being connected to only one person.

Gives me the privacy shivers. Urging caution here, particularly for models.

• Funny!
Reactions: darcyduke
When I say I'm not concerned, I mean for me personally. I'd have concerns for others if you are trying to keep your job or your browsing habits under wraps.

Unfortunately there are all kinds of ways Snapchat could be connecting those dots. Between algorithms, sites and apps that track your habits and share information, it could be hard to know exactly what happened in your case. But I don’t doubt it at all.

I’ve had social media that I set up using completely unique email and only used on a specific device that I isolated from all of my personal accounts - no contacts saved, etc. - still recommend one of my IRL work friends as someone I should “friend.”

The best you can do is tighten up all of your privacy settings within apps, browsers and websites and opt out of info sharing/selling as often as you can, use a VPN and hope for the best.

Unfortunately there are all kinds of ways Snapchat could be connecting those dots. Between algorithms, sites and apps that track your habits and share information, it could be hard to know exactly what happened in your case. But I don’t doubt it at all.

I’ve had social media that I set up using completely unique email and only used on a specific device that I isolated from all of my personal accounts - no contacts saved, etc. - still recommend one of my IRL work friends as someone I should “friend.”

The best you can do is tighten up all of your privacy settings within apps, browsers and websites and opt out of info sharing/selling as often as you can, use a VPN and hope for the best.
Yeah, I've even gone one step further. the account is registered to a throwaway email address and also a sim card specifically for that kind of thing (my main sim card is a work one). There's no conceivable way I can think that it should have connected the two of us. Unless there is some 6 degrees of separation thing going on where a friend of a friend of a friend etc is making the link up. How odd.

All it would take is a viewer subscribing to both of them
this for sure, and also I think this kind of detail is included in a lot of "suggested accounts" algos. I'm pretty sure it's at least partially how MFC's suggested rooms works.

also:
For anyone worried about their profile being recommended/shown in quick add, you can easily turn it off.

Settings > Privacy Controls > See Me In Quick Add and then turn it off.
that's the fix!

All it would take is a viewer subscribing to both of them
Yeah, although both my fave model and I only follow each other (which has resulted in a fairly limited snapchat experience). We were really just messing around with it to see if it would fly for her to sell it. I'm more inclined to think it's more to do with the phone contacts rather than snapchat itself. I suspect that she probably has another members in her phone and they might have other models as contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.