AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Star Trek Discovery sucks?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AudriTwo

Cam Model
Jul 25, 2014
Twitter Username
@audritwo
Streamate Username
audritwo
I have the same feels as Internet Sensation, Rick Evans.

I couldn't tell if the main character was a Vulcan or bad acting. Turns out she was a human raised by Vulcans. I wasn't getting any logic vs emotions feels. They really lost me when they sent two 120 lbs women to capture a 400lbs Klingon on a ship filled with other very large Klingons. I get it's the future, and I'm all for women doing anything a man can do... but let's be realistic.

I had the same confusion you did about that main character. All of a sudden I was like "Oh wait, is that what's going on?! But why is she so...not Vulcany?! I felt like either I missed something or he writers did. She reminded me of an over emotional teen trying to play it cool by attempting to not show emotion, while at the same time she "knew better than everyone else"

I get that Vulcans have emotions, but condition themselves not to show them. She however seemed as if she was barely raised around non-emotional people who prefer to soldier on in logic vs react in ways that could lead to severe consequences.For her it seemed like showing emotion was more about making her parents proud by mirroring them badly. Maybe if there was more backstory to her why she was like that rather than simply showing her being over emotional as a Vulcan child. The whole thing didn't make a lot of sense to me.

*Sigh part of me says "Ok pilots typically suck, and maybe the rest will be ok", but another part said it was boring to watch with meh characters at best.

Last edited:
I don't think i'll spoiler this. Just because if anyone is reading this after seeing this thread title, without having watched it, then they deserve spoilers. :p

For me the main things that stood out were, WTF were those alien things everyone kept calling 'Klingons?' They weren't Klingon. I don't know what they were, but they weren't even close to the Klingon race. Star Trek has changed them one too many times. They had a distinctive look and there's no reason whatsoever to have them looking like that with it only being a few years before TOS. Stupid, annoying, and just, just, just....STUPID!!!

The other thing. They made it look like higher tech level than ST:TNG era. So the entire timeline just didn't set right the whole time I was watching it. It was jarring to have such a fatal anachronism.

Repairs. Uh, like 80% of your ship was blown away. You didn't have the ability to even beam your 1st officer out of the brig. Yet miraculously three minutes after she escapes, hey let's transport left and right! We'll just forget we didn't even bother to use those transporters to get anyone off that ship that got rammed killing the admiral in the process.

There was just so many things the writers were just ignoring. I would like to say they had no skill, and no knowledge of Star Trek canon or history. But the fact is Bryan Fuller, the main writer on those two episodes, has a history of working on Voyager and DS9. So, I can only assume they just chose to ignore everything and make up non-related story lines, all the while slapping the label 'Star Trek' on a totally separate show to try to get subscribers to their 'CBS All Access'. Weak attempt if this was their best shot.

I'll still give it another episode or two. Mostly because I'm hoping her being a 'prisoner' working on missions will be somewhat interesting. But I'm not holding my breath on that count as yet.

I'll still give it another episode or two. Mostly because I'm hoping her being a 'prisoner' working on missions will be somewhat interesting. But I'm not holding my breath on that count as yet.

That would be way too creative. Watch next episode ends with her becoming captain.

For me the main things that stood out were, WTF were those alien things everyone kept calling 'Klingons?' They weren't Klingon. I don't know what they were, but they weren't even close to the Klingon race. Star Trek has changed them one too many times. They had a distinctive look and there's no reason whatsoever to have them looking like that with it only being a few years before TOS. Stupid, annoying, and just, just, just....STUPID!!!

All I can assume is this is an attempt at Harry Potter/Star Trek fanfiction and Voldemort did it with a Klingon.

Edit: *sigh I feel I should add that though I think the look is dumb, perhaps they are going with the whole Klingon virus affecting some Klingons. Like maybe some got affected by it differently or over time it "evolved" into Voldemort Klingon bbs. Yeah I dunno, but I guess that could work.

OHyveuX.png

Last edited:
All I can assume is this is an attempt at Harry Potter/Star Trek fanfiction and Voldemort did it with a Klingon.

Edit: *sigh I feel I should add that though I think the look is dumb, perhaps they are going with the whole Klingon virus affecting some Klingons. Like maybe some got affected by it differently or over time it "evolved" into Voldemort Klingon bbs. Yeah I dunno, but I guess that could work.

OHyveuX.png

but they evolved that much in 100 years? though this isn't the first time that the Klingons changed appearances as the show progressed.
klingons.jpg

Reactions: AudriTwo
After watching the crap which was "Enterprise", and Star Wars Ep 1-3, where they were trying to make old technology look better than what was in the original shows, I gave up on watching a lot of prequels when it comes to Sci-Fi

After watching the crap which was "Enterprise", and Star Wars Ep 1-3, where they were trying to make old technology look better than what was in the original shows, I gave up on watching a lot of prequels when it comes to Sci-Fi

i think that's why i like doctor who so much. daleks only got a few cosmetic upgrades, but still kept the same concept.

i think that's why i like doctor who so much. daleks only got a few cosmetic upgrades, but still kept the same concept.

They have kept things fairly consistent over the years in terms of that show. I watched it when Tom Baker was the Dr. Then, not again until the 10th I think. Even then, only a few shows.

But, for that it makes sense to keep things as close to original as possible.

Personally I could accepted cosmetic re-imagining of alien races to take advantage of modern practical effects. TNG borg look different than First Contact/Voyager Borg and the audience didn't nitpick it.

I think when you change their established warrior culture into religious zealots is my only issue. We've spent the last 50+ years being shown a Klingon's Honor is a personal goal and now you have Honor being something that is don't to appear a dead Kayless. Even on DS9 Kayless himself would think this is wrong. Alexander is told this is the wrong way to think about honor.

Anyways I'm waiting for a few episodes that actually take place on the Discovery before making my opinion.

I'll watch it either way because I was to support the recent awaking of scifi TV. Orville, Star Trek, The Expanse, Dark Matter I'll support them all because the genre has almost gone extinct.

STNG kind of did it in with the Khalis religion. Especially around Season 5 and later. I don't mind it, as nearly all human cultures have some form of religion. It just expanded it and gave it some depth.

Haven't watched tonight's episode yet, but so far I think The Orville (thread here) is far more my kind of Trek than Discovery is. Unfortunately, someone decided that it needed to be advertised as Family Guy in Space, which likely means it won't see a second season. MacFarlane is my age, so I'm not surprised that his Trek is my Trek. It's episodic, light, but meaningful. Discovery is feeling far too much like every other deep, dark, long-arc and ultimately meaningless drama to me so far.

Well episode 3 was ok. It's still clearly action trek so far. The ship effects are top notch. It's a beautiful to watch effect wise.
What odd is both series we were told were episodic however both have yet to break their linear progress. (The Bortus and his baby drama forces Orville linear as well).

Well we still have time before we reach episode 5 of discovery. Either way I'm not upset there's a scifi show for everyone. While I also grew up with TNG I have many friends that preferred the action pace of Stargate over Star Trek.

To be honest, I always thought Star Trek was too boring and pristine of sorts. Everything is too clean, and they do more committee discussions than action. Which is why I liked the appeal of Star Wars.

Kind of like the argument of 2001 vs Aliens.

I don't think that much of the post-Roddenberry Star Trek has really felt the same. With regards to the current batch of movies, Quentin Tarantino commented during an interview that instead of rebooting the timeline, he would have maybe taken the better episodes from The Original Series and made those into full length films.

So bad it's... no, it's just bad, though the terrible uniforms and backwards facing hologram does make me wonder if they're making a failed attempt at irony. The very idea of not watching an official Trek show feels wrong, but this is just awful. I'm officially on the MacFarlane side of the Great Trek Fork of 2017.

Long live Capt. Ed Mercer. Fuck Capt. I seriously don't even remember his name.

Last edited:
So bad it's... no, it's just bad, though the terrible uniforms and backwards facing hologram does make me wonder if they're making a failed attempt at irony. The very idea of not watching an official Trek show feels wrong, but this is just awful. I'm officially on the MacFarlane side of the Great Trek Fork of 2017.

Long live Capt. Ed Mercer. Fuck Capt. I seriously don't even remember his name.

Agreed. The Orville is much better Star Trek.

Creature is known to be impervious to phasers and klingon bat'leth's.

Stupid woman who "has seen what it is capable of" grabs a phaser and a klingon blade, then drops containment field.

Probably the single most stupid way the writers of any star trek series have ever killed off a character.

---

Klingon's are entirely pathetic and annoying in every respect on this show.

---

Every time they say 'spore drive' my eyes roll.

Creature is known to be impervious to phasers and klingon bat'leth's.

Stupid woman who "has seen what it is capable of" grabs a phaser and a klingon blade, then drops containment field.

Probably the single most stupid way the writers of any star trek series have ever killed off a character.

---

Klingon's are entirely pathetic and annoying in every respect on this show.

---

Every time they say 'spore drive' my eyes roll.

They took the Star Trek license and wrote a new season of Battlestar Galactica with it. Even used the spore drive mechanic so the jump would 'jump' like Galactica. Then made Klingons religious prophecy nuts like Cyclons. The only good news is the BSG ended up being a success with that formula.

Scifi in general has been pretty wacky recently.

TOS = Enterprise IS a warship (heavy cruiser) used for exploration
Discovery = Science ship used as a warship
Expanse = Warship used for diplomacy

Orville is about the only recent show that uses their ship for it's intended purpose.

From what i've seen so far, it's a decent show if measured as a stand alone series. Since it's attached with the Star Trek name, it's undoubtedly compared to the previous shows. I would agree it's deviated so friggin far from the standard formula, it's not really Star Trek which is a huge disappointment for purists (i don't consider myself a purist for the record). It feels ultra modernized in a number of ways - the look, the writing, the casting of young lead protagonist - in order to keep pace with the current standards of Hollywood; quite jarring when you're trying to buy into the show as a Trek series. One thing i admire though, is how gorgeous the production values are, especially for television, albeit the newly re-imagined production is part of the jarring deviation.

TL;DR... decent show on its own, just not a good Star Trek show

Well Episode 10 really changed the show around. I really hope they stay were they are and don't return for the rest of the season or stay there forever.

What didn't work in a normal trek universe with the federation really does work well in the mirror universe. You can have all the combat and espionage you want there and it makes sense. I hope it last more than 2 episodes. Also it will explain what happened to Defiant and if the Sato dynasty exists outside of the books.

I have the same feels as Internet Sensation, Rick Evans.

I couldn't tell if the main character was a Vulcan or bad acting. Turns out she was a human raised by Vulcans. I wasn't getting any logic vs emotions feels. They really lost me when they sent two 120 lbs women to capture a 400lbs Klingon on a ship filled with other very large Klingons. I get it's the future, and I'm all for women doing anything a man can do... but let's be realistic.

Oh my goddess...are you a RLM fan?! Did I just hear you mention Rich Evans? THE Rich Evans!?

Dude.

I'm totally going to Mr Plinkett + Jay's wedding. WBU?

Ultimately Discovery is about a very dystopian world. Star Trek up until Discovery has always been unique among sci-fi shows in that it is particularly utopian. I notice this is why so many Star Trek fans hate Discovery.

I love dystopian sci-fi, cyberpunk, etc so it's no surprise I enjoy Discovery, but from a very leisurely perspective. That is, I don't think it's conceptually brilliant or anything, but definitely entertaining and engaging. I mean, the whole Voq scenario was pretty damned interesting.

I totally understand a die-hard Trekkie hating Discovery (and considering it not even worthy of the Star Trek cannon), but I'd be willing to contend anyone saying the entire show is terrible writing. I think the pilot was totally unnecessary, but the show isn't awful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MDouble00
They took the Star Trek license and wrote a new season of Battlestar Galactica with it. Even used the spore drive mechanic so the jump would 'jump' like Galactica. Then made Klingons religious prophecy nuts like Cyclons. The only good news is the BSG ended up being a success with that formula.

Scifi in general has been pretty wacky recently.

TOS = Enterprise IS a warship (heavy cruiser) used for exploration
Discovery = Science ship used as a warship
Expanse = Warship used for diplomacy

Orville is about the only recent show that uses their ship for it's intended purpose.

Yeah...but 'jump drives' have been a technology in thousands of sci-fi novels and shows, going way back to the Arthur C Clarke days...

BSG was amazing. They *nailed* the sociopolitical undertones while making a poignant commentary on capitalism (that one story arc where Baltar disseminates his 'Marxist' book was one of the most thoughtful sci-fi TV moments I've ever seen). Discovery might be similar in tone, but BSG is on a totally different tier when it comes to commentary.

Anyway I had to LOL at your last comment. "Orville is about the only recent show that uses their ship for it's intended purpose."

This is too spot on.

Discovery's 'hundred seventeen whatever spore jumps' and BSG's raptors jumping through radiation on that algae planet were the epitome of negligence.

Ok, I'm done nerding out...for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.