AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

submitting images for emotes

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2010
Teesside, UK
i've just submitted an image for a custom emote, its been accepted but it appears in the chat as a thumbnail and have to hover over it to see it. it isn't particularly big and is only a standard jpg.
can some clever person please explain where i went wrong.
thanks in advance

I've always had problems submitting jpg images. The colors get wacked out. I always submit my images as gif to be safe.

MFC will resize the chat image to be 50 pixels high. This is not very big. Do not create a huge image and submit it because it will look like crap when MFC resizes it smaller. Create your image as 50 pixels high so that you know what it will look like.

There doesn't seem to be the same restriction on the width. I haven't made a really long emote to test it, but MFC doesn't seem to care about the width of the image.

You probably have noticed that some emotes are taller than 50 in the chat window. I remember :bounce as one that's really tall. I think it is because a while back MFC did not have the height limitation. Images submitted a while ago could be taller than 50. But any images submitted more recently will only show up as 50 high in the chat window. If you click on it you will typically see the full sized emote in a new window.

thanks nickT, the colours are fine but if the height is predetermined by mfc then i guess there is nothing i can do about it.

As long as we have this thread, I might as well dump all I know about custom emotes.

- As I said, MFC will resize the height of your emote to be 50 pixels high in the chat window.

- Don't use transparency. When submitting a transparent gif, MFC seems to remove the transparent functionality and makes the background white.

- Animated gifs. Every time a line scrolls in the chat window the animation starts over from the start. Don't make the animation try to tell a long story--no one will see it if there's a lot of chatting. There's some emote where a smiley is spray painting "T...i..p..H..e..r" or something. It takes several seconds to cycle but all anyone ever sees is the first part of T because of the restart on scroll.

- View your animiation in both IE and Firefox. Do not use a frame delay lower than 9 or so. IE will not obey it and will make it 9 and your animation will look slow.

- Submit your custom emote by clicking on the first icon on the right of the typing line in the chat window. The icon looks like a little mountain. Enter your icon in the "Submit An Image With A Shortcut" section. It may take several days for it to go live. You get no notification either way. To check if it's live, go to the same screen you submitted your icon and search for the emote name you gave it. Models may not be able to use the emote immediately. It may take an extra day or two to get to the models server.

- You can't upload a file from your computer. It has to be on the web as a URL. I use tinypic.com to upload to the web. Remember, you submit the URL to the actual image file (.gif), not the web page (.html).

- To see what an emote will really look like in the chat window, send a PM to yourself. The image may be larger/smaller in the chat window than in the 'Shortcut Lookup'. In the right of the screen under 'Online Friends', click on 'Send Private Message' and type in your own id. You can PM the emote to yourself.

That's about all I can think of right now. All of this info is just from experience. YMMV.

NickT said:
- You can't upload a file from your computer. It has to be on the web as a URL. I use tinypic.com to upload to the web. Remember, you submit the URL to the actual image file (.gif), not the web page (.html).
http://imgur.com/

And I know this doesn't matter as much since once it's uploaded to MFC it's hosted on their servers, but tinypic and all those other crap image hosts delete shit way too often and are overall a pain in the ass.

to host pics i used wordpress, or any of those web2.0 types. a basic account is free and can upload images, you get a permanent link to the image which can then use to submit to mfc

What program would you use to generate a flash emote? And what is the optimal size for an MFC animated emote?

I would like to have a basic animated emote of me wearing hobo rags, sitting in an ally, holding out a tin cup in my fingerless hobo gloved hand, looking sad and holding a cardboard sign that says, "Will show boobs for spare change"

:)

Is this about my crabs? I guess I wont be getting big crabs then, damn. :( I was looking forward to people giving me big ones!

LovelyLemon said:
What program would you use to generate a flash emote? And what is the optimal size for an MFC animated emote?

I would like to have a basic animated emote of me wearing hobo rags, sitting in an ally, holding out a tin cup in my fingerless hobo gloved hand, looking sad and holding a cardboard sign that says, "Will show boobs for spare change"

:)

Unfortunately, it can't be Flash. You can only submit an animated GIF as an emote. There may be programs to convert a Flash animation into a GIF animation. I've never done it so I don't know for sure.

I think your concept is fantastic. That would make a powerful emote. You're going to have to be creative in the layout. MFC will limit you to 50 pixels high. It will be difficult to convey that in 50 pixels. For example, here's a 50 pixel high image:
4dyNd.gif

Fifty pixels is just about what you need to be able to see your face. The image on the right is a picture of someone sitting against a wall holding a sign. So you can see how difficult it is to have detail in such a small image.

What I think you can do is take a picture of your face with you holding a tin cup in one hand and the cardboard sign in the other. The cup is on one side of your face and the sign is on the other. Have the background behind you be a solid color so you stand out. The wording on the sign will need to be done with good contrast. Since you have to convey everything with your face, mess up your hair and do hobo makeup. You're so lovely you'll have to work really hard to accomplish this :) Take several photos where you move your face a little and the cup a little between the shots. Then take the individual pictures and link them in an animated gif. The movements will make it look animated like a short movie.

AngelicTease said:
Is this about my crabs? I guess I wont be getting big crabs then, damn. :( I was looking forward to people giving me big ones!
yep, that is what i was asking for. have rescaled the original to 50px high and going to try submitting that

Ok, can I resuscitate this topic? I don't know the forum's rules reg old topics...

This is my question: when I insert images on MFC chat, the image is resized to 50px widh and 50px height. Anyone knows how to avoid this? Am I doing something wrong? I can deal with 50px height restriction, but 50px width... it's impossible!
Thanks in advance!

theguitarrist said:
Ok, can I resuscitate this topic? I don't know the forum's rules reg old topics...

This is my question: when I insert images on MFC chat, the image is resized to 50px widh and 50px height. Anyone knows how to avoid this? Am I doing something wrong? I can deal with 50px height restriction, but 50px width... it's impossible!
Thanks in advance!
whatever you link comes up as a thumbnail. Click it for the larger version.

I think they have new rules about sizes they did not have in the old days. I am not sure though.

Reactions: theguitarrist
Emotes you submit aren't limited to 50x50, I've submitted several that are 50x400 but I know some are larger in height than that.

You should make a member's room, search for emotes, post them, and see what the largest size is that will be posted without resizing. I think 400 width might be the longest but I don't know about height.

Reactions: theguitarrist
I don't think it's a "rule" (the 50 pixel height) so much as an automatic constraint placed on the thumbnail, which is what is shown in the chat text...but like Jupiter said, if you double click on the thumbnail, it will pop up in the same size and aspect ratio as when you first submitted it.

Thanks for the comments, especially Evvie for suggesting to create a member room for testing (I didn't know about member rooms... such a newbie!). Until now I had tested sending PMs to myself (looooooseeeeeeeeer lol)

So, I opened a closed member room for testing purposes and... the emoticons I posted were still resized to 50x50. I tried an image 130 width and 50 height, and still is resized to 50x50. So, until now, I don't know how to post bigger images. I'll write to the myfreecams people.

theguitarrist said:
Thanks for the comments, especially Evvie for suggesting to create a member room for testing (I didn't know about member rooms... such a newbie!). Until now I had tested sending PMs to myself (looooooseeeeeeeeer lol)

So, I opened a closed member room for testing purposes and... the emoticons I posted were still resized to 50x50. I tried an image 130 width and 50 height, and still is resized to 50x50. So, until now, I don't know how to post bigger images. I'll write to the myfreecams people.
another work around to view the different emotes is to add yourself to your friend list and when you want to see how an emote looks, send yourself a PM. it's also a good way to confirm the emote that you don't use all of the time and don't want to look like a newb when you send out the wrong one.

Reactions: Jupiter551
GreatDane said:
theguitarrist said:

another work around to view the different emotes is to add yourself to your friend list and when you want to see how an emote looks, send yourself a PM. it's also a good way to confirm the emote that you don't use all of the time and don't want to look like a newb when you send out the wrong one.
This, plus you can add notes for emote shortcuts etc to your own pm window

I'm gonna bring this thread back real quick...

So, wait... How exactly do you submit an emote? I vaguely remember seeing how to do it when I wasn't looking for it when online. Can you do it when you aren't broadcasting or in someone's live chatroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.