1. ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
    Dismiss Notice

The "Battle Royale" genre

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by MattIowa1, Jun 11, 2018.

1. MattIowa1

I decided to start this thread mainly due to a thought I had during the unveiling of "Fallout 76" this week at E3.

When Bethesda mentioned that it was going to be mainly online, my first thought was, "Watch them put in a Battle Royale mode."

So that got me to thinking, has the Battle Royale mode in games overstayed its welcome?

The popularity of PUBG and Fortnite, and H1Z1 before that, show that it's far from going away, but now that Call of Duty is getting in on this, and rumors of Battlefield having one as well, I feel it's only a matter of time before the major backlash/fatigue sets in.

2. heybarkeep

In the Dog House

Waiting for Red Dead Redemption 2 to announce one too. Haven't played much Pubg or Fortnite but will definitely understand why the backlash will occur when it does. Looking forward to Black Ops 4 and what it has to offer to the genre. Worst case scenario, Zombies should still be fun.

3. DJ_Pioneer

This kind of thing always goes in cycles, Westwood made the first Command & Conquer and the RTS genre was born and we get more C&C games but also games such as Age of Empires and Warcraft. ID software makes Wolfenstein 3D which leads to the creation of Doom and the Doom engine that alot of developers use to make their own games, but the game genre wasn't called FPS back then any FPS games made in that style was called a Doom clone. A couple of years later in 1996 ID releases Quake which unlike Doom and Wolfenstein actually have you move around in 3 dimensions and gamers star using the mouse to aim, the games that follow are at first called Quake clones but after awhile the games become known as first person shooters. After that games became even more socialized where divided into subgenres and the Quake style of multiplayer became known as an arena shooter.

If you look around these days traditional RTS games and Arena Shooters are not doing that well, but other genres that has its roots in those has come, now we have MOBAs and team based shooters which are immensely popular eclipsing them. I think that the Battle Royale type of games are here to stay for quite awhile, but even though it will fell like every one will try to make their own Battle Royale there will only be a few games that will be able to pull it off. Eventually developers will realize that making games in the genre is hard and will stop trying and as time goes on new games will come along and people will loose interest in the Battle Royale, but it is not going to die off completely after all even text based adventures are still around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AmberCutie

AmberCutie I AM NOT A SUPPORT PERSON FOR CHATURBATE.
    Staff Member Cam Model

I feel like it's just ramping up, honestly. It's the biggest thing right now.

The new free to play early access Realm Royale is super fun too. And a great alternative to Fortnite if you think the building aspect is shitty, like I do.

5. zippypinhead

If people are having fun with it, then long may it reign.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mutantdonut

Fatigue may be hard to predict. Undoubtedly there's bound to be players that'll feel it. In the general sense of things; however, how long has League and other Mobas been popular? How long have WoW and MMOs still been a thing? It's hard to know if/when Battle Royale wears itself, if at all. But it doesn't look like it'll slow down for the foreseeable future.

Gaming has always been a copycat industry though...
    Popularity of Pong led to a million different Pong consoles.
    Popularity of Super Mario Brothers led to a million generic 2-D platformers
    Wolfenstein & Doom led to the explosion of FPS games
    and so on...

7. MaskedMisstress

Cam Model

Definitely getting tired of it. I had fun with H1Z1, rust, and PUBG but it's been a long time now and it's just not as appealing anymore. But, I will admit I do like realm royale.