AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

The Expanse!

• Thread starter Deleted member 43650
  • Start date
  • ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 43650

Any fans of The Expanse here? The books and the incredible show.

If you know me, you'll know I'm an ardent sci-fi lover. I've a particular affinity for space operas, political dramas, and more specific cyberpunk/techno-noir insofar as science fiction is concerned. The Expanse IMO is the greatest sci-fi epic since Battlestar. I love the first season's foray into techno-noir, the subtle dystopian themes, the gentle use of cyberpunk motifs without being overtly overbearing or garish...

The show was recently purchased and greenlit for its fourth season by Amazon after one of the most expansive fan-petitions ever - SyFy had cancelled the show just a week prior to the purchase.

I'd love to just discuss the show (and/or the books) with fellow fans.

Reactions: DFT
The Expanse is just amazing. The episodes just keep getting better.

I haven't read the books. I'm kind of torn between reading, vs waiting for the episodes.

The Expanse is just amazing. The episodes just keep getting better.

I haven't read the books. I'm kind of torn between reading, vs waiting for the episodes.

Agreed. I started reading Book I and the show follows it almost verbatim...which is why I stopped. I'll save the books to enjoy later, as they're probably more extensive than the show and will provide some nice "bonus" material for when the show is over. Plus my stack of books I want to read is taller than me now :/

I'm jazzed (do the kids say that anymore?) it got saved. I really need to read the books though. Watched the first couple on a book reader's recommendation and I knew I was missing something. DVR will be pleased I can stream them from Amazon now.

Haha, I'm "jazzed" as well. TV production and all the ins-and-outs thereof is fascinating. SyFy purchased 3 seasons from a private production studio that did everything (directing, filming, sets, etc). SyFy is notorious for cancelling great shows (anyone remember Dark Matter RIP?) - they typically do this when a show is not a SyFy original, because they cannot monetize it as much.

The metrics for SyFy's ratings of The Expanse was live broadcast only, which means the network wasn't taking into consideration online streaming and DVR viewers (which, as we know, comprise a HUGE portion of viewers now). Thus, they saw the ratings as "bad" despite the insanely popular demand and positive response.

I mean, when they cancelled it, 140k fans signed a petition and there was a successful fan-crowdfunded campaign to fly a #SaveTheExpanse banner over Amazon HQ.

I was stoked when Bezos himself announced that they had purchased The Expanse. Smart buy IMO - the studio already has all the sets, costumes, and contracts so it's an easy production for Amazon.

Here are some thoughts I have about the show:

*****SPOILERS****

I'm bummed Miller left so early on, but in hindsight, I do believe his character arc was 'finished'. Seeing him pop up as an extension of the protomolecule's bizarre 'consciousness' appropriation in the recent ep was welcome, though. I love that all the characters are so well-developed and complex and idiosyncratic i.e. human. I'd have to say my favorite is Chrisjen - such a badass lady; she understands the realities of politics and 'getting things done'. At first, she appears morally questionable, but she's simply taking the smart approach to being morally virtuous/ethical. And it works.

Least favorite character is without a doubt James Holden. I just can't stand his self-righteous naivety. I get that this is supposed to be a part of his character - and it works - but it's still exasperating. His hero complex is pretty indicative of an over-inflated self importance and hubris IMO (this was touched on when Chrisjen visited Holden's mother, who explained how he was essentially raised to think he was the center of everything). Guy drives me nuts with his idiotic ideas sometimes. The scene where Naomi questions him in regards to his anger over Miller's killing Dresden kind of summed it up:

Holden: "It wasn't his [Miller's] call to kill Dresden!"

Naomi: "Oh, so it's your call?"

I loved the additions of Gunny and Cotyar (Chrisjen's spy). Gunny was worked into the story in a very compelling way and the character chemistry between Cotyar/Chrisjen is amusing and interesting. The female characters in this show remain steadfast and strong, never reduced to ancillary/supporting roles, but instead vital ones. The show also exhibits incredible racial/ethnic diversity without shoving it in your face (*cough* Kathleen Kennedy's Star Wars franchise *cough*).

What about you guys? Favorites? Least favorites? Any book readers want to chime in on the show adaptation?

I really enjoyed watching the series and happy it got saved! Getting ready to read book nr 1 :happy: so can't really chime in about differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.