AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Tipping - who, how much, and why?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gen

Inactive Cam Model
Mar 23, 2013
I want to talk about tipping :D NOT about tipping camgirls - but servers, hairdressers, tattoo artists, taxi drivers, etc.

What is your general attitude towards tipping?
Do you tip all servers a certain percentage regardless, do you decrease it for bad service, do you not tip at all?
Servers are pretty standard for tipping but what about baristas, delivery drivers, other jobs?
Do you think tipping should be done away with forever?

No judgment, I'm just super curious about how other people tip!

A reminder as well that things do vary from country to country - for example I have read in the States that some servers make like $3 an hour on the idea that they will get tipped, whereas in Canada our minimum wage is basically the same for everyone (I think you get $1 less per hour if you serve booze). And I think Europe is quite different? So just a heads up that those kind of things will affect people's answers!

I tip servers 20% by default, but I will tip less if they are rude/unfriendly. This is a holdover from my waitress days so I don't care if the food is slow, my order is wrong, etc but if the server is unfriendly I usually tip 10-15% instead. When I'm in the States I usually tip more generously because I'm afraid that they are getting paid a tiny hourly wage.

Hairdressers, when my services were obscenely expensive (trying to turn this huge mane of darkness into light blonde, haha), I'd tip 20% of the service. Now my haircuts are maybe $50 and I tip $10-15. When I get waxed I usually tip a bit more because I am entrusting a stranger with my most precious bits :giggle:

I don't usually tip baristas, sometimes if the change is like $0.50 I will put it in the jar but I don't go out of my way to do it. Starbucks now lets you tip on their app which by default I don't bother with, but if the barista was especially nice or the drink was especially delicious then I usually tip fifty cents or a buck.

Taxi drivers I'll round up to the nearest five, usually.

Delivery drivers usually like round up and add $5 because the only places I order from are close by, but I do tip extra if it's rainy or they are delivering somewhere hard to find.

In general, I really hate tipping as a concept and wish we would do away with it. I don't like the feeling of obligation and as someone who's worked minimum wage jobs both where you get tipped and where you don't, I didn't find that the tipping jobs were any harder or that I was more deserving of a tip there. I'd rather that businesses covered it, even though I guess they likely wouldn't, so at least it's a way to make a bit more. But in general I dislike that now even Subway and a liquor store I saw have tip options on their debit/tip jars. I find it a bit odd I guess. But I don't have super strong feelings on it, so I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts!

I always make sure to tip at least 20% at restaurants. I have never had an absolutely lousy experience with waitstaff but I suppose if someone was rude or the place wasn't busy but my water sat empty half the night I would tip less. I would tip significantly less actually because that sort of thing really pisses me off. I'll tip more if I can, I usually round up to even numbers so it'll be 20% plus whatever to round up but otherwise that's the number I automatically go with.

With my tattoo artist I actually am not sure. I pay on his tablet and it gives me an option to tip and I just tip the highest amount it gives as an option. I adore him and I'm guessing my tips are 30% with him but I'm not certain on this. I did tip more for my first tattoo by him because it was a coverup and it was just very special to me and I was incredibly thankful that he did it. It also was my first tattoo by him, my second tattoo ever and to be honest I wanted to leave a good first impression.

With baristas if I get change I'll give it to them. Sometimes the coin change, sometimes a dollar plus the coin change. If I pay with my card then I don't leave a tip and I don't feel badly about it in the least. I don't consider those necessary tips for whatever reason.

My pizza place is the only place I get delivery and I tip him 5%. The checkout gives an option of 5, 10 and 15 and I always do 5%. I'm not sure what my thought process is there but it may have something to do with the pizza place being less than two blocks away and they're all kids who work there. Now I'm really feeling like a jerk about this and will probably start tipping more. It's not a frequent thing though, I may have pizza delivered once every three months.

I have only been in a couple of taxis and it has always been for a longer, pricier ride and I did 20% both times.

With hairdressers I always just wing it. I'm trying to think back and I think I usually end up tipping between 30% and 40%.

When I stay in the close by bigger city I always order thai and I always tip 30% because if you're bringing me spring rolls that are that delicious, I love you.

Reactions: Gen
I haven't gotten a tattoo in years so I was curious about that one! I also love your thought process on the Thai food :D And I also agree about the baristas, I don't consider it an essential tip or as expected as tipping in a restaurant.

Reactions: Worship Jaclyn
I tip for haircuts, taxis, deliveries and full-service meals, but not counter service. If I have to stand there waiting in line, I've been on my feet for my order longer than the person serving has. If the counter person actually put themselves out somehow for my order, I'll probably make an exception.

Taxi drivers (on the rare occasion I need to take a taxi) I never tip. Never.

Pizza delivery (or any other restaraunt delivery) always gets an appropriate tip. 3-4 dollars at least. (Delivered pizza for a while; if you greet the pizza man with rolled pennies and a half hearted apology, you just shit on somebody. Had it happen several times. Worst ever was to a Romani fortune teller/palm reader. On a $15 order, paid about half with one dollar bills. The rest was paid in change. She knew I was coming, she knew the price, but she couldn't even get it ready ahead of time; no, she made me stand there and wait while she laboriously counted the rest out of a massive pile of coins. I saw plenty of quarters in there, but she paid me to-the-f*cking-penny and then sent me on my way...
Well, let me predict your future, madam; you will be a cheap piece of garbage until the day you die, and when that time comes, no one will mourn your passing.
All the times I was invited in for free sex while delivering pizza did not make up for the numerous indignities I suffered.)

Bartenders always get something in the jar (or a tip added to the first drink I buy). Coffee shops, never. Overpriced alcohol doesn't bother me, but overpriced coffee irks me. Illogical on my part, and I don't really understand it. But that's the way it is. Idk.

Waitresses, even mediocre ones, get a tip. Stellar ones get a bigger tip. In cases involving waitresses who demonstrate gross incompetence/rudeness, I stiff them, and try to make it obvious I have done so; for example, on the "tip" section of the receipt, I might write "0. Zip. Zilch. Nada."
I don't do this to hurt them, but to help them learn. Unfortunately, growth can sometimes be painful.

On a slightly related note, I am sick to death of retailers asking me if I would like to donate to various causes every time I use my card.

] I am sick to death of retailers asking me if I would like to donate to various causes every time I use my card.

I think a simple no thank you. is suitable.

Haircut: Most times it is pretty much a 5 buck tip for them to shave off my hair. One time though I brought in a book and asked the guy to make it look like the guy in the book. I think I tipped him 40 bucks because I was was having kind of a hair orgasm effect or something---it was awesome how much work he put into it and how good it looked!

Bars/clubs: I tip a buck a beer, probably. I never use credit cards in these places so I am trying to save more of the physical cash for more of the liquid courage.

Restaurants: I tip the 20% unless beer is involved and I am having a great time and the waitron and food is Awesome--then it can get interesting (because it is a credit card)! If it is shitty service/food I tip 20% and never go back to the place -- just too many good restaurants to put up with shitty service/food more than once.

Coffee: I think I tip maybe a dollar a cup.

Generally I leave a 5 dollar tip for everything. Delivery, taxis, haircuts, strippers. If I'm dining out its 5 per person; but I don't tend to eat at fancy places so it ends up being about 20-25%. I tip a buck per drink at bars.

Restaurants: 20% - but usually a little more because I round up. If the service is awful I tip a $1- no matter the price. This has only happened like 3 times ever though. If the service is super awesome I usually tip 30%.

Taxis: 15%ish? I have only taken a taxi and handful of times though.

Shuttle Bus Drivers (airports): $1-5 depending on how far they take me or if they help me with my bags.

Haircuts, Massages, Waxing: 20% to 25%. The more skilled and careful the cut and super nice shampoo massage, they will always gets 25%.

Bars: $1 every drink--- if it is a super labored drink like at the artisanal bar's popping up all over, I usually tip 20% for the whole tab - so like $2-3 a drink. A few times with extra shitty+mean+stingy bar tenders I have tipped a $1 for a whole tab (usually just for me or maybe one other person if I bought them drinks). They always add more- which I'm pretty sure is illegal. It's happened 3 times. Fuckers.

Coffee: If I can add a tip from a card, always a $1. If I can't or don't have cash, nothing :(.

My local baristas get a dollar every time I go. I visited the place once & the second time they knew my name AND my drink order. That shit deserves a tip. (It's a busy coffee house & it's not Starbucks)

Restaurants 20% - unless they suck then 10-15%

Hair & massages - 20% but they charge me way less since I'm friends with both girls so it's almost like I'm not tipping anyways lol.

I don't get delivery & I don't have tattoos & if I'm drinking - it's usually at home or a friends house lol.

I used to have to take a cab all over town when I lived on the west coast but the cabbie knew me & I became a 'regular' so he never let me tip more than a few times a month :)

i mostly tip 20% all the time. i am also a generous person, my mom was a waitress for so many years and she would bring home about almost a grand in tips depending where you work and how busy you are. i tried waitressing and its not easy as it looks, those trays are super heavy and you have to be a very steady person. also when it comes to hair, i am very picky because i am trusting someone with scissors and dying equipment on my head, i mostly tip about 10% when it comes to hair. delivery drivers i tip 10% depending on the bill of my food.

I used to be an insane tipper, I'm talking $10 on a $20-25 pizza or the like. These days I tend to stick to 20-30% depending on service and how much I enjoyed the server. It's a terrible thing I'm sure, but attractive ladies who are friendly get a little bump because I enjoyed myself more.

Luckily for waitresses everywhere, I've got a wide view of what makes someone attractive. Honestly, as long as you don't look like this, I'm probably going to find something about you to like:
211.jpg

Reactions: ACFFAN69
In restaurants it depends on what type of meal I'm out for.
If it's breakfast where the check is usually small I like to tip 100% or more of it. I remember the absolute torture of praying that I got enough tables for all the $2 breakfast tips to add up when I worked morning shift as a waitress. Any other meal I tip 20% or more unless the server was terrible or rude.

Tattoos I generally tip a lot. I think I have tipped 30% or more on all of the ones I have gotten, and honestly if I ever ran into the guy who did my half sleeve again I would be tempted to give him even more.

At bars I usually leave a $5, me and my friends generally take turns buying a round so I usually end up only tipping once.

Pizza/delivery always a $5 unless the weather is shit.

I make my own coffee and do my own hair/nails/waxing and honestly I don't deserve a tip. :giggle:

Reactions: TacoBelle and Gen
For dining, 20% standard, unless I really like them which happens a lot! I usually up it, I think a lot of it is because I love to spread the joy of tips because I know how awesome it is to get them! I've done a few 100% of the bill tip, if the server was just fantastical. And if they have to try to suck and be rude (it takes a lot) I tip 10%.

For coffee, maybe $2, but usually only if the service was like AMAZING. Same thing with To Go Orders that I pick up, I don't normally tip and if I do its a couple bucks. For a bartender at a local busy bar, usually $2 each time haha which can end up being a lot. For the Nails, Hair, Toes, Wax, 15% but every couple months I also bring a coffee gift card because I go to the same people and they always are good to me. Pizza Man, I would agree, usually a $5 er.

I don't tip taxis. But for valet and concierge I never know what to tip, so I feel like I always over tip. Same thing when I do the fancy car wash! lol.

In Mexico, you tip the people who bag your groceries, so I am now learning to remember to always bring some small cash or coins instead of having my card!

I spent some time living in America and learned quickly the huge cultural differences in tipping. I had a few occasions where I didnt even realise I was meant to tip or tipped amounts I would here in the UK and was made to feel cheap/rude/an asshole.

Anyway over here I will tip at least 10% in a restaurant if I'm paying on a card or more if its cash because ill add the 10% + whatever is left to round it to the nearest £10 I cant be bothered carrying around loads of coins. More if the service is really good and nothing if its really bad, although thats only ever happened to me once. At my barbers a haircut is £7.50 but I always just give him £10 and for any food delivery I normally just round it to the nearest £10 or if the order was very close to that then I'll throw in a few extra quid if I have any coins about.

Sometimes it's hard to tell who to tip or who is more optional to tip.

I had a friend get mad at me for not tipping the workers at IANS. My thought at the time was that:their already paid full wages, and we were in the store order and picking up the slices are selves.

I don't know we were both drunk, and I think he might have had a soft spot for the chick working that day.

Yea I agree it different in the UK I do usually tip waitresses sometime taxi's depending on how I've been treated on the journey but I've never tipped a tattoo artist. With delivery if food my local Chinese doesn't even wait for a tip

The standard for most services, as I was raised to understand it, is 20%. The only exception is take out, because literally all the delivery person did was hand you your food. Delivery people can be tipped 10-15%.

Really unpleasant-to-perform services, like pedicures and brazillian waxes, deserve higher than 20%, especially if the person providing the service does a great job.

When I share late night cabs home with friends and we split the bill, we've been known to tip 100% of the total. There's nothing more important than getting home safely and making 3 stops for a gaggle of tipsy girls without a complaint is an honorable service.

If you have a waiter/cabbie/nail tech who really sucks (and I mean REALLY), you should still tip them, but "fuck you" tips of under 10% are acceptable.

Definitely agree that the UK have way different tipping standards.
I tip in restaurants 10 - 20% depending on the service received, I used to always tip taxi drivers until I started driving & realised exactly how high the prices were (yes I know they're providing a service but it's just a ridiculous amount here). I always try to tip the delivery drivers when we get takeaway's not a major amount but I tip more if they're early! Some of the ones here I would have never thought of, never even thought/heard about tipping your tattooist until I read this thread. As for hairdressers, I visit a hairdresser so very rarely (another story for another day!) & the price to do my hair is shocking so they never have been tipped as I'm usually broke after that!

I don't think people should just tip because it's tradition. I think people should tip because they want to. And if they don't want to; then they shouldn't have to. If you are going to tip, then consider tipping every one. don't just tip the traditional jobs. There are lots of other people who are doing jobs that are just as deserving for tips. And when you tip them it's just as awesome.

Reactions: MadisonGraceLloyd
I tend to overtip when the person doesn't really "deserve" it. For example: I'm young and alternative-looking. People in general (on the street, in the doctor's office/bank/courthouse, policemen, etc) tend to see my funky-colored hair, tattoos, piercings, and/or dreads and automatically do that thing where they look down their noses at me. They act haughty and patronizing towards me, and I hate it. Waitstaff (servers/hosts/etc) are the worst about it. It's like they just assume that because I'm young and not professional-looking that I won't tip.

SO THEY GIVE ME SUBPAR SERVICE. They tend to take my order with obvious displeasure (even though I'm super fucking nice to them!!), only stop by the table if absolutely necessary, and are just blatantly pompous overall. Of course, this occurs more with older waitstaff. The young ones don't seem to care as much.

Most people would tip very minimally in a situation like this where the server is rude as fuck and extremely unhelpful. I do the opposite. I will usually tip them 25-40% so that they realize not to judge a book by its cover. Yes, I know that this is essentially rewarding their bad behavior, but I'm hoping that it helps change their perspectives.

As for other instances: I usually tip my hairdresser 10%, pizza delivery $3-5 (used to be more before they started the damn "delivery fee" which is a completely different topic), Starbucks/Subway/donut places or anywhere with a tipjar but I know they're making minimum wage or higher? Zero. Zilch. Nada. I was never allowed to accept tips when I worked fast food (in fact, people have gotten fired for accepting tips before), and I think it's bullshit to assume that you deserve a tip by just standing behind a counter doing the same thing time after time. Yes, you might be living from paycheck to paycheck. But you made that choice and have the option to look for work elsewhere. Trust me, I did that shit for like 10 years of my life. In instances when I ask for something that will require more time than usual, I will tip. If it's a mom&pop coffee shop where they take the time to make a design in your cappuccino, or bring the glass out to your table? I'll tip.

Tattoo artists? 50% of the total goes to them as a tip. IF they did exactly what I wanted. IF they worked WITH me and didn't try to rush me. It took me a long time to find my main artist, and he deserves every penny. WAY cheaper than employing an actual artist who generally sees a 1000% profit on paintings (when they actually sell).

Reactions: Osmia and Gen
Restaraunts I'll usually tip the standard 20%, but I have tipped above and beyond what my bill came to if the server really busted his order ass and took care of me more than they should have. For instance, the last time I went out to eat at a local bar and grill my bill came to like $15 and change (granted I didn't eat a lot and didn't order the most expensive thing on the menu) but the server really did treat me better than I deserved and I tipped her $20.00. Hey, she deserved every cent and then some.

For restaurants I try to tip about 20% of the post-tax total (usually ends up ~22.5%), often I'll try and round to the nearest dollar amount (generally up).
Sometimes I'll even throw a couple dollars onto the table in addition to whatever I tipped on the bill.

For bars and drinks I try for about $1-2 per drink unless the drink is outlandish priced.

Haircuts, about 10-20% of the bill.

I don't tip for bellboys or maids at hotels: I don't use their services and already pay too much in resort fees at hotels.. If I'm using valet, they get tipped.

Guy:
Many people want to abolish tips in restaurants because of the servers getting paid less than minimum wage and to simplify the bill. In many states servers and wait-staff make less than $3 per hour because restaurants are allowed an exemption based on the belief that servers will be tipped up to and beyond normal minimum wage levels. In most European countries you don't tip in a restaurant.

Hey, that might be weird to you all but... Tipping isn't a thing in my country. I guess it's not in our Islander culture. Our local waitstaff doesn't deserve it anyway, they so blunt and rude and not professional.

You're still welcome to New Caledonia ! xD

Why do some people want to abolish tipping at restaurants? ( I Googled it and I did not get good results)
They want to abolish it because servers aren't making minimum wage, they are usually only paid around $3-4 but are suppose to make it up through tips. If a restaurant is slow some servers still aren't making minimum wage while tips, unless through debit/credit cards, aren't taxed income. Tips get added up and taxed at the end of the year but many servers lie and only claim to make what they need to show them making minimum wage which is great and horrible for the servers and the restaurant industry as a whole. I'm happy to have never worked FOH but from my time as a line cook I wouldn't agree with the inconsistency of tippers and relying on customers to not tip based on how the food tastes and the performance of the kitchen.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Guy and Gen
I'm Australian and I'll sometimes tip wait and bar staff if they do a really good job. It didn't even occur to me to tip hairdressers, tattoo artists etc! I used to be a waitress and I was always thrilled when I got a tip because it's definitely not expected.

My wife and daughter both worked as food servers as young women and I spent some time as a bartender, so I tend to tip generously -- usually in the 25 percent range (is that generous?). Seldom see really poor service here in the Midwest/Great Plains, but I'd be loath to reward that as generously. Always tip the lady who cuts my hair and the young man who delivers our newspaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.