AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Unique new spam

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 24, 2017
Southeastern USA
While browsing some of the more popular rooms, in terms of number of users, I noticed a strange thing tonight that I've never seen before. While in one model's room, I kept seeing "purple" users posting a link and openly promoting another camsite. The moderators were doing a good job of silencing these users after they would post the link, but to be using a "purple" account is something I've never seen before on CB. Why spend the 1000 tokens in order to get the "purple" status, just to spam a link to another site and risk getting reported or outright banned? Just seems counterintuitive to me. 🤷‍♂️

All of these purple users were spamming the same website. But I'm wondering why, instead of silencing them, the moderators wouldn't have the model just outright ban and report them?

While browsing some of the more popular rooms, in terms of number of users, I noticed a strange thing tonight that I've never seen before. While in one model's room, I kept seeing "purple" users posting a link and openly promoting another camsite. The moderators were doing a good job of silencing these users after they would post the link, but to be using a "purple" account is something I've never seen before on CB. Why spend the 1000 tokens in order to get the "purple" status, just to spam a link to another site and risk getting reported or outright banned? Just seems counterintuitive to me. 🤷‍♂️

All of these purple users were spamming the same website. But I'm wondering why, instead of silencing them, the moderators wouldn't have the model just outright ban and report them?
I'm wondering if the spammer did some kind of Phishing attack on those accounts, or in the worst case stole the CB password database. There is no way I believe legitimate purple users turned into spammers. That sounds more like an account takeover scenario. That's a pretty stupid use of a purple user's credentials too.

I think CB is definitely a website where you want to have two-factor authentication enabled.

Upvote 0
All of these purple users were spamming the same website.

I think it was 3 years ago or so, during a while, there have been a bunch of blue and purple users promoting a Chinese kind of scam site to get "free" tokens. Maybe the same kind of advert ? You have more info about the site promoted ?

Upvote 0
yes that is just a phishing attempt to get your account info. after they have done that and stolen all of your tokens they will use your account to post the same links.

Upvote 0
Most sites have some sort of marketing budget, its nothing to spend a few hundred dollars to run a few bots over chaturbate they can target at least a million people in a few hours. Considering how slow CB are to respond to support issues it would appear worthwhile as they can run for quite some time before CB ban

Especially if they cashed the tokens out to a model account after purchase

Upvote 0
Sadly, so many guys are stupid (sorry guys but you/we are), and fall victim easily to these phishing links spammed by the bots on models rooms.
So it's most likely this. I have also seen it on other cam sites (Stripchat) where its red names (red name = Royal, they have spent 600,000 tokens (Approximately $48,000 USD). So, it just all depends on what people see those links at a time and this is exactly why it's very important for you as models (or your mods etc) to stop these ASAP. Use antispambot apps/bots to prevent them. I see/talk with too many models who either don't understand the problem with these or simply don't care and don't care if guys get their info and money stolen.

CB need to add a bot filter or multiple to stop this nonsense already, it should be a built-in feature, why do they not do it?
@punker barbie

Upvote 0
There are some bots that stop them but dont know their names.
As a mod we are always silencing this spam. I think just about all social tippers are aware of them, I'm guessing its only really new people who fall for it.

Upvote 0
(Stripchat) where its red names (red name = Royal, they have spent 600,000 tokens (Approximately $48,000 USD).

CB need to add a bot filter or multiple to stop this nonsense already, it should be a built-in feature, why do they not do it?
@punker barbie

Are you sure about those numbers? I'm red on Strip with I think an 89 number (whatever that means). While I've never actually sat down and added it all up, I'm sure that I've not spent near that much. Maybe there are different ways to get to red status? But I will admit that I've spent a bunch. lol

Yes, Cb definitely needs some better bot filtering.

Reactions: Highlander884
Upvote 0
Are you sure about those numbers? I'm red on Strip with I think an 89 number (whatever that means). While I've never actually sat down and added it all up, I'm sure that I've not spent near that much. Maybe there are different ways to get to red status? But I will admit that I've spent a bunch. lol

Yes, Cb definitely needs some better bot filtering.

I am basing it from SC Wiki:

600,000 tokens needed for Level 80 (Royal League - entry level), and based it on 0.08 cents per token (600,000 * 0.08 = $48,000)

We can do the working out differently:
2,470 tokens = £200 (gbp - I think it's $200 USD for Americans?)
600,000 / 2470 = 242.9 (so that's rounded up to 243 purchases of 2470 tokens)
2470*243 = £48,600 (I assume yours is in euro or USD, so it'd be the same)

EDIT: ignore that!!
I was thinking it says tokens but it says XP NEEDED hahaha
so that would actually be 120,000 tokens (600,000 / 5)
So that's 49*200 = £9,800

My bad lol

Reactions: bbbbadddd
Upvote 0
Yeah, that's more like it. Had me concerned about my habit for a minute there. lol

I was red from the start of doing the red thing based on past tipping/status so I don't know when that would have kicked in for me otherwise.

• Funny!
Reactions: NotYou
Upvote 0
I'm wondering if the spammer did some kind of Phishing attack on those accounts, or in the worst case stole the CB password database. There is no way I believe legitimate purple users turned into spammers. That sounds more like an account takeover scenario. That's a pretty stupid use of a purple user's credentials too.

I think CB is definitely a website where you want to have two-factor authentication enabled.

Don't have a clue about if the accounts in question were hacked/phished or not, but as soon as one would be silenced, another purple user would come in and spam the same exact message, so it would seem that they were linked somehow by using the same exact message.

I saw this again last night in another high population room, so there is definitely something afoul going on with this as these users are not being banned.

Upvote 0
yes that is just a phishing attempt to get your account info. after they have done that and stolen all of your tokens they will use your account to post the same links.
Just so I'm in the loop, how do these serve as phishing attacks? Does it ask for personal information once you go to the site? Or does the site url load a page that can somehow steal your login information while logged in to CB?

Upvote 0
I think it was 3 years ago or so, during a while, there have been a bunch of blue and purple users promoting a Chinese kind of scam site to get "free" tokens. Maybe the same kind of advert ? You have more info about the site promoted ?
The actual link that was spammed in chat was very short in length, but the link led to a hidden redirect to a dating website while in incognito mode.

Upvote 0
Hi. I've often commented to CB on what they can do to help fix the spam problem. Unfortunately, CB has left spam control up to devs, and most of the people who publish apps/bots are not up to the task.

I released The Anti Spam Bot 2 years ago, and since then have refined my anti-spam engine into an automatic 1 button solution. Many of my bots can filter spam, and you won’t even know its happening! I've watched my bots filter 100% of spam for entire broadcasts, without issue. Mods have called my solution the "spam bot killer" because it will quietly and efficiently remove spam from your transmission.

While you are waiting for CB to take responsibility, you can help yourself out by using an intelligent solution such as Tip Menu 50, The Anti Spam Bot, or Snyergy. If you want a simliar outcome, but with end-user participation, there is the catpcha' bot type the passcode. There are even more solutions than these that are readily copied and pasted by many *developers*, available to help filter, captcha', or turn off chat completely!

We can all blame CB for what they should/could be doing (free account, 2-step e-mail verification at the very least), or we can all just switch to an app/bot that currently works!

Cheers,
Cexmental

• Helpful!
Reactions: Smores
Upvote 0
We can all blame CB for what they should/could be doing (free account, 2-step e-mail verification at the very least), or we can all just switch to an app/bot that currently works!

Literally, just email verification would solve problems, or at least make it harder.
And if you have a spam bot creator somehow make it so it can automatically input an email that they can create on their own server, read the code or click the link in said email, then they should be able to detect that "oh look suddenly we have hundreds or thousands of new emails from this new domain" or "oh look, 1000s of new accounts are suddenly using the same 1 or 2 emails".

I just think, for whatever reason, CB are either too lazy or out of their depth and are unwilling (too cheap?) to hire some modern devs to fix problems.

But they absolutely need to do something "simple" to stop all the bots.

Reactions: cexmental
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.