AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

What was your computer and technology skills/level when you STARTED to cam?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2017
UK
I am very curious as to what you were like with computers and other technology before you got into camming.

There are lots of ladies I have met who seriously had NO experience with anything other than maybe a smartphone (or heck, older phones), and then they go and work with a studio, and it's not just the whole thing of camming they are new to and needing to learn but also the basics of computers. They are (obviously) slow at typing and doing that amazing thing we can ALL remember when we started with computers: looking down at each letter, trying to find it and then carefully and slowly pushing it.

I am obviously not judging, as I say, we have all been there and had to learn.
But I am really curious, what you was all like - was you one of those absolute beginners to computers, was you "ok" and slightly comfortable because you had dabbled in some things liek social media sites and maybe other stuff... or was you VERY comfortable, and was not worried or afraid to click links and touch things? Because I know that is one big worry for a lot of models.

I'm super new to camming (2 months,) and I'm terrible with technology! I used to be on top of my game, when I was a kid and things were simple HTML edits, but nowadays I'm confused by everything.. I think it's one of those use-it-or-lose-it things.

It's not rocket science. Everything is so dumbed down at this point that if you don't get it, it's because you refuse to learn.

When I started in 2011 I was very technologically savy. I was 21, a student, constantly tinkering on my laptop and reading up on gadgets and software, etc.

My set up was painfully basic - laptop woth built in cam. Bedroom lighting. Very low-end, very girl next door.

I am still using the same laptop because it has lasted so long *knocks on wood* but do have the logitech c920 and some better lighting.

The problem is I feel like Im delayed when it comes to technology. I just can't garner the energy to keep up right now. It's slightly embarrassing. I can do better, but my brain wants to rest after a full vanilla day.

I worked in ISP and IT support, and was the family member growing up who got stuck fixing or solving computer problems because "I'm good with computers". The only computer schooling I got was when I was in art school to learn basic coding. I just always liked computers and being on the computer. I enjoy computer games, the internet, software, making upgrades, whatever.

Majority of my friend group were computer science major in college so I learned a lot from them or if I ever had issues, I went to them. My husband is also a programmer and bit a computer hardware enthusiast.

When I started in 2010 I didn’t even have a smart phone (but hell, not everyone did) and was totally computer and internet dumb.
I still feel tech stupid. It’s not my forte, I’m just able to figure out most of what I need to in order to exist.

I worked for Cisco for 3 years and then worked with computer operated machines for 6 out of my 7 years in the construction industry. I make a lot of jokes about being an old lady that doesn't get things but most technology feels intuitive to me. So, whatever I don't know I figure out quickly. I also worked for cellular support for many years before the above mentioned stuff and had a smart phone before it was cool.

I still look when I type a lot though and type really slow. There was weirdly never any type of typing course offered to me in school. Typewriter or computer and I never taught myself the right way.

It's not rocket science. Everything is so dumbed down at this point that if you don't get it, it's because you refuse to learn.
Some stuff that is pertinent to a cam model being successful is beyond the basics of Internetting 101. People jump into this thinking it's easy money without much tech knowledge and find themselves behind the curve and sometimes in trouble for not knowing how geotags and IP addresses work.

I do agree that anyone can learn their way around the Internet and be better at tech stuff, but the average person jumping into webcamming isn't likely at that level. The ones who are do their research, plan things accordingly, and protect their tech data better than the n00bs wanting some extra Starbucks cash for wigglin their tiddays for a stranger.

That being said...

I probably NEVER would have gotten into this without having Jawbs' tech knowledge. Before I met him I was just some stupid AOL chatroom user who had no clue. But a decade of him teaching me some tech stuff, and having him behind me if I ever doubted my own ability, I felt ready enough to try camming nearly 10 years ago. There are a lot of things I would have fucked up on without him.

I consider myself an intermediate-level computer user. I've learned a few new things after starting camming. I'm someone who finds dealing with computers pretty easy even when it's something new, which probably helps.

My dad worked as a programmer, so I was introduced to computers and programming from a very young age. I was pretty much still a toddler when I wrote my first simple programs in BASIC on our C64. I didn't get too heavily into programming myself--I know just enough to be dangerous, but I've always been very comfortable with technology. and I tend to be an early-adopter.

I've worked as a front-end web developer both freelance and for a large firm, did some graphic design/typography for both print and web, I understand electronics to some degree and have a ham radio license, and I've also worked in television as a master control operator and production assistant (camera operator, audio board, lighting, etc.) I went to school for new media for awhile, so I got some formal training using Avid and Premiere, recording audio/video, all that type of nonsense. I shouldn't admit to some of that, because I am *lazy* when it comes to filming and editing! But I've used all of these skills in camming and clip-making, so I'm very glad to have the background that I do.

I was well-prepared given that I was a theatre/film nerd at a high school that had media courses and was 2 years into a film degree when I started camming. I'm still using the adobe software student discount. ~Maybe one day I'll find a job where I can put this all down on a resume.

Status
Not open for further replies.