AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Where to position 'ring lights' when camming?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 4, 2021
England
I really am not technically minded and i obviously no very little about lighting!

I have a couple of small(ish) ring lights, I use both and set on the warm glow setting, its been a game changer for me and gives off a really flattering light, HOWEVER thats when I am in the right position, if I move my leg, change position slightly move slightly forward etc suddenly the games over and the light changes to some horrible flat light with almost a green hue, i can move about abit and it goes back to normal, but again will change as soon as i move position.

I am not sure if its a case of me just not having them in right place? I have moved them about abit to no avail. I am using them at body level place behind the camera in two corners, obviously its difficult to explain over text!
I may upload some images when I get a moment.

Just wondering what everyone elses set up is and how i can stop the horrid colour changes happening.

Reactions: Lilypod
The color is changing as in you notice it on your feed? Sounds like you have auto white balance on or some other automatic settings that are adjusting when you move.

3ptlighting.jpg

This is a basic 3pt lighting set up. This usually works best for camming. paper lamps are GREAT for camming and look good/inconspicuous in your home too!

these mini "ring lights" you get off amazon work ok, but they aren't really ring lights. They're pretty direct and harsh, so they work ok as fill or back lights and turned down a bit. A proper ring light should be around 10" or more and give a soft diffused light. Keep in mind, in order to get the "right light effect" where you see it in your pupil, the camera has to be inside the ring light.

mini ring light.jpeg

View attachment 90077

This is a basic 3pt lighting set up. This usually works best for camming. paper lamps are GREAT for camming and look good/inconspicuous in your home too!

these mini "ring lights" you get off amazon work ok, but they aren't really ring lights. They're pretty direct and harsh, so they work ok as fill or back lights and turned down a bit. A proper ring light should be around 10" or more and give a soft diffused light. Keep in mind, in order to get the "right light effect" where you see it in your pupil, the camera has to be inside the ring light.

View attachment 90078

'harsh' in the sense of how bright they are? As I almost feel like I'm being blinded by them and takes hours for my eyes to settle down after!

Any suggestions for a 'proper' ring light?

'harsh' in the sense of how bright they are? As I almost feel like I'm being blinded by them and takes hours for my eyes to settle down after!

Any suggestions for a 'proper' ring light?
Harsh lighting, is often the result of a combination of the size of the light source and it's distance from the subject. Closer and/or larger lights make the lighting softer, whereas you will have hard (harsh) lighting, if the light is small and/or far away.

Then you you have to consider the angle of the light. Generally you want it shinning from a higher angle.

Ring lights are cool for certain applications, but for filming where movement is involved, and the fact you don't want to be blinded, you may need indirect light. In addition to streaming I produce other video content and bought a light kit on Amazon for under $100 and it works great.

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 4.59.26 PM.jpg

I did switch out the fluorescent lights for warm LED lights, though. With the black "umbrellas" the light bounces off the silver, and the white ones diffuse and soften the light, plus you don't have them directly in your face.

I did switch out the fluorescent lights for warm LED lights
This is great advice! The bulbs that come with that set aren't great, they're regular bulbs that get hot, and thus heat up the entire work space.

• Helpful!
Reactions: MarieElise
View attachment 90077

View attachment 90078

I didn't know I needed this in my life until I saw it.

@Chromatica_Jay I think the proper photography term I should have used is "hard" but harshness is certainly the effect lol

I have lamps exactly like the one I posted. I still recommend them, but not as a main/key light.

Because they are small and extremely bright, its too direct for a key light on a webcam. Creates a lot of overexposure and high contrast shadows This emphasizes blemishes, lines on the skin, dark circles under the eyes etc. For the same reasons we don't recommend overhead lighting for camming.

Example of hard/harsh vs soft light (not mine):

example lighting.jpg

I use this ringlight directly behind my camera (because again, a ringlight needs to go behind the camera otherwise you may as well use a lamp). I like this one because I can adjust the brightness and color temperature.
On one side of my desk I have the little round LED (turn it down a bit) and on the other side a paper floor lamp. I have my lights at or slightly above face level.

I'm still not totally happy with my lighting but those changes helped a lot.

Last edited:
As @thinkinboutit mentioned, ring lights work to their fullest ability when your camera is in the middle. Because the point is even lighting all the way around. They are intended for "beauty" shots, where the model is likely staying in place, and the focus is waist up rather than full body: The light fills in all the contours of the face that would normally be more noticeable under less ideal lighting conditions. They gained a lot of popularity and I think the intended use got lost a bit along the way.

BUT, if you shift your focus to getting even lighting from as many different angles as possible, it's the same idea. That's why three point lighting works. Lights on both sides of you so you don't have shadows, and a light to set you apart from the background. You can also bounce lights off of the wall(s) behind you to brighten the image up, so your auto settings aren't working as hard to balance it.

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, the ring light can be harsh. To help fix this, you’ll want to diffuse the light by putting a couple white plastic bags over. This will help soften the light and actually help smooth out any imperfections.

F7D7FEF7-B081-43F2-9B64-608343D73AC9.jpeg9814F3AA-BA1A-40D2-93D7-BB476CBBCA19.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: AudriTwo
i have two ring lights. a heavy duty one that likes to fall and bonk me on the head. sometimes it makes me bleed :D and a cheap smaller ringlight. The heavy-duty one is for my face. the other one is for my bits. my fat ass casts a shadow that blocks out my ringlight and key lights

if you are like me who is constantly moving your webcam from your desk to all-around your space, and your standard lighting wont help, and dont have time to adjust your white balance, brightness, and gain. i got a small cheap ringlight and taped it to a smaller tripod. that way when i move my webcam stand for shows, i have the necessary light easily available.

my camroom is a wreck right now. once i clean up my shame i'll share what it looks like if anyone needs a visual.

As others have mentioned, the ring light can be harsh. To help fix this, you’ll want to diffuse the light by putting a couple white plastic bags over. This will help soften the light and actually help smooth out any imperfections.

View attachment 90091View attachment 90092
yes this! recommend diffusing any direct or harsh shadow lighting. you dont need to buy the pricey diffusers/gels. i use my husband's old white tshirts. i would also tape white printer paper to my lights. you can also use other colors than white. i always liked how the taupe/brown plastic bags look. If you go to a sex shop, and they give you a red or pink plastic bag, KEEEEEEP IT.

Black plastic bags will block the light.

fire safety tips:
  • be sure to regularly check on your homemade diffusers. check the heat of your lights. if your ringlight or other lights is hot to touch, turn off your light, unplug from the electricity source, and remove them immediately. unplug from the wall and let it cool completely before turning it back on. my highschool's photography studio burnt down because someone never removed or checked on a plastic bag diffuser from a key light the whole school year.
  • keep your heavy-duty lighting plugged into a surge protector. do not use cheap walmart or ikea powerstrips. my camlights have melted one.

Last edited:
my camroom is a wreck right now. once i clean up my shame i'll share what it looks like if anyone needs a visual.

I would love to hear more about this when you have time! I also move my cam around a lot when I stream.
Looks nice sitting at my desk but too shadowy every where else.

Reactions: AudriTwo
Status
Not open for further replies.