AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Wifi Help

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarieElise

Cam Model
Dec 19, 2019
Twitter Username
@EliMarie717
MFC Username
EliMarie
Streamate Username
MarieElise
ManyVids URL
https://www.manyvids.com/Profile/328205/EliMarie717/
Clips4Sale URL
https://www.clips4sale.com/studio/92217/marie717
Hi, I know this sounds silly, but I think my neighbors may have hacked into my internet, or something. When I was editing a video, I accidentally clicked on a link that said "cast to device". It showed 2 firesticks, which are both in my neighbor's name. Does that mean they are using my internet (which is password protected, but very fast)? If so, anyone know how I can kick them off? I am a cam model and I live with 2 intensive gamers/ gaming addicts. Everyone in my house has been really irritated, that recently the internet is lagging. We all work our asses off to pay the bills, including a really fast, really expensive internet package. If they (neighbors) are on there, I want them off, in a way that does not involve me at their door. Because that won't be good. Thanks if anyone can help me w this. Or to understand why my neighbors devices are showing up like this, if it doesn't mean that they are somehow using my wifi?

ETA; I searched online, but nothing I found is making any sense to me.

Last edited:
You can run a 3rd party software program (I recommend Nirsoft's wireless network watcher) that will show all of the devices connected to your network, as long as they're online and in use

Reactions: MarieElise
Do you have bluetooth on? If so see if you can find their devices when you turn it off. Also you can usually access your modem and see all devices connected, instructions are usually listed on the modem itself or you can google how to if you know know the name of it.

Thanks, you guys Fing rule!! I will try both of these options. The one roomate (here) that set up the router, for some reason cannot remember anything he did, or how to access it. I looked on the bottom of the router, and he changed himself to administrator, as well as changing network, name and password. However his personal computers have both taken a ****, so idk how to access this. I will google model etc if I cannot figure out Nirosoft.

You guys are both GREAT. Thank you so much for taking time out to help me with suggestions on this.

You can also just reset everything completely by entering your router address which is typically either 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.2.1
in the address bar, that should bring up the router configuration screen, from there login the username is usually "admin" and the password is "password" unless it's been chnaged. From there click on the wireless section. There should be a box to change your password, once you do that make sure to click a button that'll say something along the lines of "save" or "apply". Once you change the password anything that's connected will be automatically disconnected after a couple minutes, including your neighbours if they're mooching off you.

You can also just reset everything completely by entering your router address which is typically either 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.2.1
in the address bar, that should bring up the router configuration screen, from there login the username is usually "admin" and the password is "password" unless it's been changed. From there click on the wireless section. There should be a box to change your password, once you do that make sure to click a button that'll say something along the lines of "save" or "apply". Once you change the password anything that's connected will be automatically disconnected after a couple minutes, including your neighbours if they're mooching off you.
Thank you. I was successful with downloading and running Nirosoft, and I see 2 devices which are unrecognizable to me, on our internet.

Thank you. I was successful with downloading and running Nirosoft, and I see 2 devices which are unrecognizable to me, on our internet.

That gif lol, I'd suggest changing your password in that case. It'll kick everyone off your network, including yourselves obviously but them as well may want to change the name of your network (ot might say "SSID" they're the same thing). Also make sure you have your security type as either WPA2 or WPA3, if the latter is an option

Thanks, you guys Fing rule!! I will try both of these options. The one roomate (here) that set up the router, for some reason cannot remember anything he did, or how to access it. I looked on the bottom of the router, and he changed himself to administrator, as well as changing network, name and password. However his personal computers have both taken a ****, so idk how to access this. I will google model etc if I cannot figure out Nirosoft.

You guys are both GREAT. Thank you so much for taking time out to help me with suggestions on this.

Depending on wht kind of router it is, it's as simple as pushing in a recessed button for 30 as you power on the device. Then, connect to it with either the passsword that's on the sticker, or whatever the default password is for the Linksys/Netgear/etc device you have (these you can search online for default passwords).
Change your wifi password, network ID/SSID, and admin password.

If you're really paranoid, you can hardcode the MAC addresses to authorized devices. It's not foolproof. But, it can help to secure things a little more

• Helpful!
That gif lol, I'd suggest changing your password in that case. It'll kick everyone off your network, including yourselves obviously but them as well may want to change the name of your network (ot might say "SSID" they're the same thing). Also make sure you have your security type as either WPA2 or WPA3, if the latter is an option
Oh I'm gonna change the name of my network alright...

Hi, I know this sounds silly, but I think my neighbors may have hacked into my internet, or something. When I was editing a video, I accidentally clicked on a link that said "cast to device". It showed 2 firesticks, which are both in my neighbor's name. Does that mean they are using my internet (which is password protected, but very fast)? If so, anyone know how I can kick them off? I am a cam model and I live with 2 intensive gamers/ gaming addicts. Everyone in my house has been really irritated, that recently the internet is lagging. We all work our asses off to pay the bills, including a really fast, really expensive internet package. If they (neighbors) are on there, I want them off, in a way that does not involve me at their door. Because that won't be good. Thanks if anyone can help me w this. Or to understand why my neighbors devices are showing up like this, if it doesn't mean that they are somehow using my wifi?

ETA; I searched online, but nothing I found is making any sense to me.

There are logically two possibilities, one of which is probably not obvious. Either 1) the neighbor's devices are on your network, or 2) you somehow accidentally connected to the neighbor's network.

Is it possible when all of this got set up that your devices that are seeing their Firesticks was set to use a default device name and password? In that scenario, your roommate changes your local router to a new name and password, which then makes it feasible that your devices would see the neighbor's router and accidentally connect through it.

The best solution here for problem 1) or 2) is to do a hardware reset of your router. Hardware reset is usually done through a pin switch of some type that you depress in for N seconds and everything goes to defaults. You need to have some documentation to know how to reconfigure at that point. Choose unique router name, and long (14+ characters) and non-obvious password.

I would recommend that you take the time to catalog every device you or roommates have that rely on that router before you do the reset. There may be things that you have forgotten about and investing just a little time upfront to identify those will save grief later.

• Helpful!
I actually do not think the neighbors were intentionally connected, you're right. I think it was some feature of the firestick.
I am gonna do a full reset tomorrow tho, and all devices I don't recognize are now off.
I actually discovered the primary 2, on the network, which I didn't recognize were not the neighbors firesticks.
I dd not realize Lenova shows up as Motorola Wuhan.
This is what ultimately solved the issue. Incase anyone else has it.

Turned out positive, because in the process of investigating all this, I found out our internet contract is up in 4 days, and signed up for a better package, for same price. So thank God for Paranoia (in this instance). But here was the solve. Thanks again everyone. I spent 3 hours on this. I'm mentally spent from the SM contest, and super frazzled. But at least this is off my mind now.

I didn't got how you fixed it, but just want to add there that this could be a WiFi direct connection, without passing by your router so.
Projectors, TV Sets and your PC can use it (PC can share it's screen and keyboard in last windows 10 versions..)

• Helpful!
Status
Not open for further replies.