AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Windows 8

• Thread starter Deleted member 55529
  • Start date
  • ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 55529

Hello. My notebook is on the technical service and I asked a friend an extra computer. He gave me windows 8 -64bits-i3. Pretty old. Might work with tkn site? I still have a Logitech c922 and good wifi speed. It's just a temporal solution. Thx

I'm not a computer wiz, but I do know that Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 8 since July 2018. So that means it's very unsafe to use. That pc could easily be hacked.

I'm not a computer wiz, but I do know that Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 8 since July 2018. So that means it's very unsafe to use. That pc could easily be hacked.
Not entirely true. Windows 8 will still receive security updates until 2023.

@LoLitaLatina, depending on the computer's other specs, it could work perfectly. I have an i3 from 2012 that I have no problem streaming with even on a more demanding site like Streamate. It won't hurt to try.

Whaaat...I didnt know that. The thing is it's very slow

Not entirely true. Windows 8 will still receive security updates until 2023.
That's window 8.1 which MS considered a different product from windows 8.

You can still upgrade it to window 10 for free using the media creation tool. Won't change performance but you'll get the start button back

Reactions: CheeseMoon
Please note that Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 isn't the same thing. Windows 8.1. was a major update to Windows 8.
Security updates for Windows 8 stopped coming in January 2016, while security patches for Windows 8.1 will end in January 2023.

Using Windows 8.1 shouldn't be a problem in itself.

As stated above, you can (very likely) upgrade to Windows 10 for free if you have Windows 8.1.

I thought they got away from doing the free upgrade for some reason? Of course, it's been a couple of years at least since I last performed an upgrade.

Also, be aware that some hardware is not compatible with an upgrade to Windows 10. I remember having a computer that wasn't compatible and it blocked the upgrade.

But, if the computer does have decent specs, might be able to stream. Given it's a loaner, I'd be hesitant to do the upgrade and would let the owner know about it.

Reactions: SaffronBurke
@LoLitaLatina If the computer has Windows 8 and not 8.1, upgrading to Windows 8.1 is easy, but probably won't help much besides being somewhat more secure. Upgrade to 8.1 if you can, but *there is no reason* you need to upgrade to Windows 10 on a machine you're using temporarily. Camsites and their software don't require it. I have never upgraded to Windows 10, it just isn't important. Don't worry about whatever these guys are bloviating about. Every camsite works just fine without Windows 10. All of them.

Try out what you have, see if it works! Close programs you don't need, and maybe reinstall Windows fresh or at least make a new user account if your friend will let you. The hardware is what will hold you back, not the Windows version.

I tried and it didn't work
...the stream was frozen

I thought they got away from doing the free upgrade for some reason? Of course, it's been a couple of years at least since I last performed an upgrade.
I thought so, as well. I received a notification that it was my LAST CHANCE EVER to upgrade for free. I didn't, and don't plan to.

Like @Lintilla says, it's less about what version of windows you're using and more about the machine's specs. If it's slow just browsing the web, you'll likely have issues camming on it, but if it loads pages at a decent speed, you'll be fine. I've been camming on token and private-based sites just fine, but my computer was a beast when I bought it in 2013, so it's still capable of streaming requirements now. Sure, it no longer connects to wifi and it shuts down if you so much as jiggle the power cord, but I keep it still on my desk so that isn't usually a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.