AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Your favorite sci-fi

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2013
fresh out of the oven
Movies or television...

Dark City - a small neo noir sci-fi dealing with a trippy story about altering people's memories

Minority Report - i really don't care for Tom Cruise but the idea of preventing future crime was quite original and the entire movie was well executed

Aliens (1986)

Star Trek TNG - I've retroactively watched TNG recently. Never was a die hard fan during it's run in the 80s/90s but now i'm digging it mainly for nostalgia... and Patrick Stewart.

I'm a huge fan of all the funky space operas from the 60s, 70s, and 80s, the more off the wall, the better. Coincidentally, many also happen to be based on earlier comic strips. Barbarella is amazing. I love Flash Gordon. The first season of Buck Roger is great. Both versions of Battlestar Galactica are among my favorites. The 2000s ended up being a really cool time for sci-fi shows, too. Along with BSG, there was Farscape, which these days seem almost forgotten. There's also LEXX, especially the "first season" which was comprised of a bunch of movies. And, of course, there was Firefly.

My very very favorite sci-fi movie is The Fifth Element. It's pretty much my favorite movie, period. About a year and a half ago, they briefly re-released it to theaters for its 20th anniversary, and to promote Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, and I was so stoked to be able to see it again on the big screen after so many years! Man, what a good movie. It's like my Star Wars.

Reactions: BadgirlIvy
Hmm, I need to think on this...

Each list is in no particular order..

TV shows: Battlestar Galactica (both versions), STNG, ST Voyager, Buck Rogers, Dr. Who (Tom Baker era), V, X-Files
Movies: Star Wars (Ep. IV-VI), Blade Runner, Riddick, Matrix (first one), Highlander (first one only), Last Starfighter, ET, Alien, Predator, Mad Max, Planet of Apes series
Books: Eternal Champion Series, Starship Troopers, 1984, Footfall, Battlefield Earth, Thrawn Trilogy
Games: Won't even list, far too many.

Back to the Future trilogy.

Dark Matter and Colony were two recent scifi programs that got cancelled (but unfortunately, not picked up what with the fan petitions a la The Expanse). They were both amazing - Dark Matter was just fun and fascinating and endearing. Colony became more interesting, and by the third season, the story had become huge (in a good way)...plus it has Josh Holloway as lead and being a die-hard LOST fan, I'll love anything with Sawyer in it.

One thing that really sucks about the SyFy network is that they routinely cancel stuff that they don't have the full marketing rights to (The Expanse) and they also rely on Nielsen Ratings while ignoring DVR and streaming analytics (Dark Matter), which in this day and age is absolutely retarded. I don't understand how a show like Z Nation went on and on while the aforementioned series were dropped.

Other greats: Battlestar Galactica (I'm personally not a fan of the original, sorry), pre-Capaldi Doctor Who (is it just me, or did the writing go to complete shit when Capaldi came on-board...and god, the Clara character was like a sexist nightmare. See: "manic pixie dream girl" trope). The original Twilight Zone, LOST, X-Files....Altered Carbon was incredible and maybe the best interpretation of Gibson-style Cyberpunk ever? Travelers has been pretty cool thus far.

Reactions: Slapstick
I'm a huge fan of all the funky space operas from the 60s, 70s, and 80s, the more off the wall, the better. Coincidentally, many also happen to be based on earlier comic strips. Barbarella is amazing. I love Flash Gordon. The first season of Buck Roger is great. Both versions of Battlestar Galactica are among my favorites. The 2000s ended up being a really cool time for sci-fi shows, too. Along with BSG, there was Farscape, which these days seem almost forgotten. There's also LEXX, especially the "first season" which was comprised of a bunch of movies. And, of course, there was Firefly.

My very very favorite sci-fi movie is The Fifth Element. It's pretty much my favorite movie, period. About a year and a half ago, they briefly re-released it to theaters for its 20th anniversary, and to promote Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, and I was so stoked to be able to see it again on the big screen after so many years! Man, what a good movie. It's like my Star Wars.

I LOVE The Fifth Element! Never heard of Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets though, I'll have to check it out!

I'd have to say my all time favorite Sci-Fi franchise has to be Alien and am so pumped to watch the story continue. Ridley Scott is a fucking genious.
Close second for me is Stargate.
And If you count Rick and Morty I am a die hard fan of that haha.

Those are my top three at least. I could go on and on and on....

Movies:
-Alien (all)
-Star wars (all, but episodes IV-VI especially)
-Event Horizon
-5th element
-Blade Runner (old, but new was good too)
-Ghost in the shell (anime + remake)
- Riddick trilogy
-Re animator

Shows:
-westworld
-stranger things
-sense8
-Firefly
-Altered carbon
- Into the bad lands
- Stargate SG-1

This list could go on but off the top of my head those are the first to come to mind.

Never heard of Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets though, I'll have to check it out!

Valerian is based on a French comic which i hear was really popular in the 70s (?) but mainly in France. I haven't seen it but i'm hearing the movie is... uh... a little unusual from what one might expect for sci-fi. The director was a huge fan, finally got the backing to make it into a movie. Given that it's French-based sci-fi made for US audiences, and vast majority of Americans never heard of the original comic, the film did poorly.

Reactions: BadgirlIvy
Blake's 7 on TV. Babylon 5, Firefly and new BSG. There's also Ultraviolet, but that's vampires, so probably not strictly sci-fi (ditto for Buffy)

Star Wars, Serenity, Gattaca, ex Machina, Terminator 1&2, Metropolis and both of the Blade Runner films. And 'La Jetee', which is a short film with a plot some might find familiar.

Movies:
-Alien (all)
-Star wars (all, but episodes IV-VI especially)
-Event Horizon
-5th element
-Blade Runner (old, but new was good too)
-Ghost in the shell (anime + remake)
- Riddick trilogy
-Re animator

Shows:
-westworld
-stranger things
-sense8
-Firefly
-Altered carbon
- Into the bad lands
- Stargate SG-1

This list could go on but off the top of my head those are the first to come to mind.

So much good on this list...

Dark Matter and Colony were two recent scifi programs that got cancelled (but unfortunately, not picked up what with the fan petitions a la The Expanse). They were both amazing - Dark Matter was just fun and fascinating and endearing. Colony became more interesting, and by the third season, the story had become huge (in a good way)...plus it has Josh Holloway as lead and being a die-hard LOST fan, I'll love anything with Sawyer in it.

One thing that really sucks about the SyFy network is that they routinely cancel stuff that they don't have the full marketing rights to (The Expanse) and they also rely on Nielsen Ratings while ignoring DVR and streaming analytics (Dark Matter), which in this day and age is absolutely retarded. I don't understand how a show like Z Nation went on and on while the aforementioned series were dropped.

Other greats: Battlestar Galactica (I'm personally not a fan of the original, sorry), pre-Capaldi Doctor Who (is it just me, or did the writing go to complete shit when Capaldi came on-board...and god, the Clara character was like a sexist nightmare. See: "manic pixie dream girl" trope). The original Twilight Zone, LOST, X-Files....Altered Carbon was incredible and maybe the best interpretation of Gibson-style Cyberpunk ever? Travelers has been pretty cool thus far.
Dark matter was a great show....I have been waiting for a new season (didnt know it got cancelled) but it seems like firefly im gonna be waiting a long time to finish the story :cry:

If you havnt read it already, you should check out the Deathstalker books by Simon R Green, I loved these, well the first one (only bought it because I liked the cover art) but I couldnt put it down... didnt realise when I bought it that it was the last print run on the book and I couldn't find the last print editions of the rest of the series (I like to have the matching covers for the whole series)
"Owen Deathstalker was the leader of the Deathstalker family, which had a distinguished history serving the vast, human-dominated Empire. But he eschewed the paranoid world of Imperial aristocrats to live as a peaceful historian. Then, out of the Blue, the Empress Lionstone "outlaws" him and next thing he knows, his own security detail is hunting him to collect the bounty on his head. While on the run, he meets up with a female outlaw Hazel d'Ark, who helps him escape to Mistword, a planet populated with outlaws fleeing Imperial authority. While there, he learns that his late father set up a network of contacts to help him start a rebellion against the cruel Empress. Of course, as he builds a trusted coterie to help him, there is a traitor in their midst. " - Summery from allreaders.com

The book is on audiable though as an audio production, it's one of the best I have heard with a full voice cast and sound effects and music.

I also really liked the Introducing Neals album by YTCracker, the story through the album is great. It's the story of Neals, a young hacker fighting for privacy and net neutrality in the dystopian metropolis of San Sequestro. He did have a kickstarter at one point to turn it into an anime but didnt hit the funding, I think he met the kickstater goal for 1 or 2 of the songs to be done, shame because it would have a good watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.