AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

CamRedeem Update (including some new changes)

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 28, 2012
Hi Everyone,

Firstly, I wanted to apologize to the lack of updates lately. I have been very busy with my day job, and have not had time to work on the site lately. Since it has been stable, and we were not charging yet I felt comfortable letting it ride for a bit. Things have quieted down, and I've got a couple new people helping me with improvements as well so they will start coming very shortly. We are working on a full redesign for CamRedeem right now, and we hope to have it live in a week or two. However, we also just finished implementing a couple minor changes that I thought you'd all want to hear about.

• Thumbnail Uploading has been fixed. You can now upload custom thumbnails for all your videos
  • Video files will no longer be renamed to a bunch of random characters. They will now retain the name they had when you uploaded them. This change will not change the names of files that have already been uploaded, but all new files will have the correct name.

We will also be adding a "File Rename" feature soon to let you fix the names of your files you've already uploaded without having to delete and re-upload them.

I will make a point to update this post with developments as we continue to work on the site.

Mike

OK, I also wanted to outline the changes that will be coming in the next couple weeks in more detail. Right now we are working really on our dev site to get these changes ironed out and polished, and then they will be published to the main site.

Most of this is already done on our dev site:

• New, streamlined layout. Gone is the neon piss yellow everywhere, and gone is the tacky 8-bit font and cheezy logo. Everything looks more modern and professional. Also gone is the hover-over menu in the top right. We found it to be frustrating to work with when trying to move about the site quickly. We've replaced it with a simplified menu across the top of the page.
  • User accounts are gone (not model accounts, but accounts for end-users). This one was a decision we've been considering for some time now. The very nature of CamRedeem is that codes are supposed to be one-time use only. Allowing users to create accounts just contradicts the very idea of the single-use nature of the site. Also, while we did put a safeguard in place to autolock accounts that were logged in from too many locations in a 24 hour period, after discussion, we decided that accounts are ultimately a risk (albeit minimal) to file sharing. The simple fact is we never should have done this in the first place, and we're going to rip the band-aid off and deal with it with the new redesign. This site was always meant to be a tool for models to distribute files quickly and securely. We're going back and scrapping everything that doesn't jive with that idea correctly.
  • Files can now be downloaded for 72 hours. This one is to soften the blow of getting rid of user accounts. We thought that if someone buys 10 videos from you late at night and starts downloading them on a slow internet connection, but has to go to bed and work the next day that this might cause problems for both them and you with only 24 hours to get your files and no user accounts. The compromise we decided is that we can give users 72 hours to retrieve their files once they've redeemed their code. Once you redeem a code it becomes locked to your IP address (and now your browser as well via a cookie) exclusively meaning that anyone else attempting to also redeem that code will get an error. If there is a lot of backlash from you all about this change before the redesign goes live we will consider changing it back to 24 hours, but we think this is better for both users and models in light of the removal of user accounts.
  • File names can be renamed once uploaded. As stated in the previous post that announced files will no longer be renamed to a bunch of random characters when uploaded, you will also be able to rename them from the "Edit File" section. This is regarding the actual name of the file as it appears when downloaded to the users computer. Previously you were only able to change the title for the file on the website itself, and the file name itself was still a garbled mess.
  • Just about everything is now a popover window. We are trying to streamline the design so that it is more consistent across pages, and one of the ways we are doing that is to change most functions to be a popover rather than a separate page that you navigate to. This allows you to perform functions faster while using the site. At the end of the day you don't want to be sitting around clicking 9 times and waiting for different pages to load to do send someone a video when you are also live on cam. We have already rolled popovers out to the most common functions (such as creating codes) on the old site, but with the new one we are making it the standard for all functions.

Finally, I have a sneak peak of the new layout I'd like to post. This design is not final, in fact in the past 24 hours we've already decided to make some changes to the menu that you see across the top to make it simpler and take up less space, but this is the general look and feel we are going for.

VmDfajZ.png

So instead of improving a few things on the user end you're going to simply wipe out that option all together. The one feature that made this site stand out from the crowd, being able to have an account and being able to download our videos again or at a later date, is going away. And with it the couple hundred videos or so in my account, and who knows how many in other accounts.

Have to tell you from now on I'll be asking any model with videos for sale what site she uses to store them on. If she says this one I won't be buying them from her. Once bitten, twice shy.

I understand you felt it necessary to wipe out a cornerstone of getting members to go along with the site. But I no longer feel I can trust your site for anything.

JerryBoBerry said:
So instead of improving a few things on the user end you're going to simply wipe out that option all together. The one feature that made this site stand out from the crowd, being able to have an account and being able to download our videos again or at a later date, is going away. And with it the couple hundred videos or so in my account, and who knows how many in other accounts.

Have to tell you from now on I'll be asking any model with videos for sale what site she uses to store them on. If she says this one I won't be buying them from her. Once bitten, twice shy.

I understand you felt it necessary to wipe out a cornerstone of getting members to go along with the site. But I no longer feel I can trust your site for anything.
While I can understand you are bummed, WHAAAA? I don't use Camredeem but they are by FAR the ONLY site currently doing this! The only options besides hosting it ourselves is dropbox and mediafire.

I'm honestly trying to figure out in my head how this change could have possibly upset you so much that you wont even download a video from their site that they are GIVING AWAY FOR FREE TO MODELS CURRENTLY out of pure spite. Not like you'll find that option anywhere else either!

Sorry if this seems like I'm picking on you but I am just FLOORED with the sense of entitlement and honestly, childish behavior. And I'm sure any model you explain your reason for not tipping for a video after asking to, will probably roll their eyes harder than me so let's just call this a little prep for your end game.

SRSLY WTF?

JoleneBrody said:
JerryBoBerry said:

While I can understand you are bummed, WHAAAA? I don't use Camredeem but they are by FAR the ONLY site currently doing this! The only options besides hosting it ourselves is dropbox and mediafire.

I'm honestly trying to figure out in my head how this change could have possibly upset you so much that you wont even download a video from their site that they are GIVING AWAY FOR FREE TO MODELS CURRENTLY out of pure spite. Not like you'll find that option anywhere else either!

Sorry if this seems like I'm picking on you but I am just FLOORED with the sense of entitlement and honestly, childish behavior. And I'm sure any model you explain your reason for not tipping for a video after asking to, will probably roll their eyes harder than me so let's just call this a little prep for your end game.

SRSLY WTF?

Quit thinking like a camgirl getting free stuff for a minute. Put yourself in the shoes of the end user with a couple hundred videos on the site. Recently you've added another 30 from some model and they're all mixed in with the other videos because there's no way to sort them in any fashion. Now instead of fixing a simple issue you find out that all the videos you've amassed, instead of being safely tucked away in the cloud like was promoted as a reason for going with the site in the first place, are simply being wiped out. Now go and download all 200 videos RIGHT FUCKING NOW before they're gone just to ensure you have a copy of all of them. Enjoy your weekend.

Think about it from a different angle. It's just bad business. If anybody touted a feature as a way to get me to sign up for anything and then took it away before even going out of beta stage i'd not feel that much trust for them. I'm actually floored you can't see that side of things. Are you so far removed from the reality of the user side of things you can't think imagine that?

That's a "SRSLY WTF?" indeed.

JerryBoBerry said:

I'm sorry you feel that way, and I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you. Unfortunately, the customers of the website are the models, and when we make design decisions we do so with them as our primary concern. This change is in response to e-mails we have received from models specifically about this feature being a potential security risk. This feature was not what made our site stand out from others. What makes our site stand out is the ability to distribute files quickly without worrying about link sharing, and our willingness to make changes to our site based on feedback from our customers (the models). At the end of the day, they will be the ones paying for this service.

This is not being done to avoid having to improve things on the user end as you are implying. It's being done because it's the best thing for our customers.

That having been said, I am open to feedback from Models regarding this change. If the consensus among them is that this is a mistake I would be willing to keep the feature in place. Nothing has been changed yet, and nothing is set in stone. However, I am telling you that the feedback I have received to this point has been that this feature is an unnecessary security risk.

JerryBoBerry said:
JoleneBrody said:
JerryBoBerry said:

SRSLY WTF?

Quit thinking like a camgirl getting free stuff for a minute. Put yourself in the shoes of the end user with a couple hundred videos on the site. Recently you've added another 30 from some model and they're all mixed in with the other videos because there's no way to sort them in any fashion. Now instead of fixing a simple issue you find out that all the videos you've amassed, instead of being safely tucked away in the cloud like was promoted as a reason for going with the site in the first place, are simply being wiped out. Now go and download all 200 videos RIGHT FUCKING NOW before they're gone just to ensure you have a copy of all of them. Enjoy your weekend.

Think about it from a different angle. It's just bad business. If anybody touted a feature as a way to get me to sign up for anything and then took it away before even going out of beta stage i'd not feel that much trust for them. I'm actually floored you can't see that side of things. Are you so far removed from the reality of the user side of things you can't think imagine that?

Let's keep this thread civil please. Also, for the record, I've never "promoted" or "touted" this feature, and I've certainly never promoted anything to end-users specifically. Our customers are the models.

Also, I did not saying you have to download these videos right now. This change has not taken place yet, and we were planning on leaving existing accounts active at the very least temporarily to accommodate people being able to get their files off the site. I apologize for not being clearer regarding that.

JerryBoBerry said:
JoleneBrody said:
JerryBoBerry said:

SRSLY WTF?

My impression was always that the cloud storage was simply a backup and was not meant as primary storage. If you never actually downloaded and stored the videos you wanted to keep I can't really feel sorry for you.

JerryBoBerry said:
JoleneBrody said:
JerryBoBerry said:

SRSLY WTF?

As he stated above the change hasn't happened yet and you can download them before it does. Majority of people buy videos to download and watch right away, you are definitely in the minority of people hoarding links they have not downloaded yet.

Sorry I don't want to derail this thread... But yeah... I dunno... Your response was downright shocking to me. You are not paying for a cloud service from them and the WHOLE point of beta testing is testing and making necessary changes before official launch.

Sevrin said:
I won't likely be a user, but some of us have dynamic IPs.

Also, you might want to check out this thread.

Issues With Camredeem?

Thank you for the heads up. I get a couple dozen e-mails a day with questions, and for some reason I didn't get a notification I got a PM from her on this site.

Regarding dynamic IPs. I understand the concern, but most ISPs rarely change IPs nowadays. I don't think my home IP has changed in over a year (I use a non-dynamic DNS address for it, and it hasn't broken yet). I do understand this may not be the case for everyone, but when we discussed it we decided it was the only way to do it securely. One thing I did just think of would be the ability to reactivate a code one time even if from a different IP assuming you have the correct cookie in your browser. This is just an idea I'm spouting off the top of my head. We'll think about this concern some more and see if there's anything we can come up with to make it less of an issue.

Reactions: missmeowmixx
mired said:
Sevrin said:

Issues With Camredeem?

Thank you for the heads up. I get a couple dozen e-mails a day with questions, and for some reason I didn't get a notification I got a PM from her on this site.

Regarding dynamic IPs. I understand the concern, but most ISPs rarely change IPs nowadays. I don't think my home IP has changed in over a year (I use a non-dynamic DNS address for it, and it hasn't broken yet). I do understand this may not be the case for everyone, but when we discussed it we decided it was the only way to do it securely. One thing I did just think of would be the ability to reactivate a code one time even if from a different IP assuming you have the correct cookie in your browser. This is just an idea I'm spouting off the top of my head. We'll think about this concern some more and see if there's anything we can come up with to make it less of an issue.
My ISP is Bell Canada, one of the largest providers in Canada. My IP leases expire after 3 days.

Reactions: missmeowmixx
Sevrin said:
mired said:
Sevrin said:

Issues With Camredeem?

My ISP is Bell Canada, one of the largest providers in Canada. My IP leases expire after 3 days.

Yeah, we'll take a look at ways to make this not get in the way for cases like yours. I added it to my list.

JerryBoBerry said:
Quit thinking like a camgirl getting free stuff for a minute.
I'm disappointed that the free stuff I've taken advantage of is going away and therefore have decided to lash out with in a sweeping generalization of cam girls.
Put yourself in the shoes of the end user with a couple hundred videos on the site. Recently you've added another 30 from some model and they're all mixed in with the other videos because there's no way to sort them in any fashion.
Consider instead that someone, such as myself, may have elected to use this service as free cloud storage for a vast amount of porn that one may or may not want to download and fill innumerable external hard drives with.
Now instead of fixing a simple issue you find out that all the videos you've amassed, instead of being safely tucked away in the cloud like was promoted as a reason for going with the site in the first place, are simply being wiped out. Now go and download all 200 videos RIGHT FUCKING NOW before they're gone just to ensure you have a copy of all of them. Enjoy your weekend.
Now instead of the service provider doing exactly as I think they should do, in a manner which suits my expectations of a promise that I may have misinterpreted, the service provider has elected to concentrate on providing better service to the models (a.k.a. their clients) going forward. Now imagine my sense of urgency to download my porn library in a brief period of time (I assume) to avoid losing it (I assume), all the while pounding my tightly balled fists upon my desk in rage because I stand the chance to lose something I hold so dearly, yet lacked the foresight to consider it's loss and failed thus far to back up to my own storage devices.
Look at it from the perspective of someone that planned poorly. It's inconvenient for me. If I assumed that a company claimed to provide a service that was useful to me and that service was discontinued because it no longer made sense for the company or that company's clientele to offer it, why wouldn't I throw a fit about it? Are you dense?

That's a "SRSLY WTF?" indeed. For real, yo! Why didn't I just download all this porn from the get go so I could keep it forever and ever in a safe place of my own choosing?

Fixed it.

Shutterbuck said:
JerryBoBerry said:
Shutterbuck said:
Fixed it.
:lol: You're pretty funny for numb nuts. :clap:
I have my moments.
Seriously though. Did you actually read my post or were you too busy hitting strikethrough on it all?

I do actually download videos as i get them (this is to lilyevans as well). I have 12TB of hard drive currently. So downloading them was never an issue. What the problem was once you have a couple hundred in ONE SINGLE long list of videos and then add say 30 to that list. You have no way of knowing what those 30 were. When you downloaded them the videos were a random digit name. So they don't match with what the website or model says they are named. So unless you've renamed them all prior and you're willing to go through every folder where they are stored and compare each file to each name on the site every time you buy a video. It becomes a little hard to do that. So yes, I have several recent purchases I have not downloaded because it became so unmanageable the only option left was to download all the videos every single time something was added to the list. Instead I chose to wait and hope the owner would make a minor improvement by making the videos sortable by purchase date or by model. Instead I find the whole storage is going away. I believe I am rightly annoyed because, yes, that now means i am downloading a couple hundred videos all at once just to get those few.. To some models who can't even understand that there's nothing I can do to explain it any better to you.

As for the rest, as i stated before. It is a service that was touted heavily. It may not have been so by mired but it sure was by every model using it. Most every time someone would ask how to get it the standard response was to make an account, that way you could get them again in the future, it's so easy. Now I fully understand a business' right to change something. But at the same time I have the right to not want to have anything to do with that business, if I've been dealing with them based on the way they do it, and they change it. Don't get upset anyone. That's just the way things work.

I wish mired all the success in the world, honestly. This is not a personal thing at all.

JerryBoBerry said:
Shutterbuck said:
JerryBoBerry said:
Shutterbuck said:
Fixed it.
:lol: You're pretty funny for numb nuts. :clap:
I have my moments.
Seriously though. Did you actually read my post or were you too busy hitting strikethrough on it all?

I do actually download videos as i get them (this is to lilyevans as well). I have 12TB of hard drive currently. So downloading them was never an issue. What the problem was once you have a couple hundred in ONE SINGLE long list of videos and then add say 30 to that list. You have no way of knowing what those 30 were. When you downloaded them the videos were a random digit name. So they don't match with what the website or model says they are named. So unless you've renamed them all prior and you're willing to go through every folder where they are stored and compare each file to each name on the site every time you buy a video. It becomes a little hard to do that. So yes, I have several recent purchases I have not downloaded because it became so unmanageable the only option left was to download all the videos every single time something was added to the list. Instead I chose to wait and hope the owner would make a minor improvement by making the videos sortable by purchase date or by model. Instead I find the whole storage is going away. I believe I am rightly annoyed because, yes, that now means i am downloading a couple hundred videos all at once just to get those few.. To some models who can't even understand that there's nothing I can do to explain it any better to you.

As for the rest, as i stated before. It is a service that was touted heavily. It may not have been so by mired but it sure was by every model using it. Most every time someone would ask how to get it the standard response was to make an account, that way you could get them again in the future, it's so easy. Now I fully understand a business' right to change something. But at the same time I have the right to not want to have anything to do with that business, if I've been dealing with them based on the way they do it, and they change it. Don't get upset anyone. That's just the way things work.

I wish mired all the success in the world, honestly. This is not a personal thing at all.

Hold up on the mass download, and I'll see about making it sort by redemption date to make it easier for you to backup your collection. Also, like I said, the accounts will remain active after the change date so you don't have to rush to do it.

I apologize for the inconvenience, and I respect your point of point of view.

mired said:
Hold up on the mass download, and I'll see about making it sort by redemption date to make it easier for you to backup your collection. Also, like I said, the accounts will remain active after the change date so you don't have to rush to do it.

Thank you. I would appreciate that. And let me add your ability to stay rational, professional and not let this turn into another flame thread is commendable. I do respect that.

THAT makes sense Jerry and was not at all what I think anyone gathered from your previous post. Sorry but damn, at least in jumping on a misunderstanding you clearified and might actually get a resolve.

I'm obviously a hero. I'll accept my statue in bronze.

So from my understanding, in the future, downloading from camredeem will be no different than downloading from mediafire/etc? (except that the links will expire and be IP unique, which is convenient for the models. yay)

I actually found the user account thing really frustrating, because
-many members would try to download the file as a guest, then make and account, then try to download it again as a member and get all confused or yell at me for the link not working.
-Or get indignant because they thought signup was required.
-couldnt figure out how to navigate the registration.
-Or got so excited they couldnt find the "redeem as guest" button.

These actually happen a lot. The end result is me having to send new codes again and again, or wasting time trying to explain how to download the file, or looking back through my records to see who tipped for what and send new codes. If there is just ONE button to click and a little blurb that the link will expire, there should be a lot less muckups.
I hope these changes will make everything more streamlined and quick for both model and customer.

I hope the new design will include easier file and code management too :pray: (delete multiple codes with checkboxes, or sorting options for files and codes).

JoleneBrody said:
THAT makes sense Jerry and was not at all what I think anyone gathered from your previous post. Sorry but damn, at least in jumping on a misunderstanding you clearified and might actually get a resolve.

I'm obviously a hero. I'll accept my statue in bronze.
See me tomorrow. I'll be less miffed with you over your prior post to do that then. :lol:

To be honest though I understand you've probably not looked at it closely from the users side of things to understand what was happening. Especially one who buys more than just the occasional video.

JerryBoBerry said:
Yup. Read it.

JerryBoBerry said:
I do actually download videos as i get them (this is to lilyevans as well). I have 12TB of hard drive currently. So downloading them was never an issue. What the problem was once you have a couple hundred in ONE SINGLE long list of videos and then add say 30 to that list. You have no way of knowing what those 30 were. When you downloaded them the videos were a random digit name. So they don't match with what the website or model says they are named. So unless you've renamed them all prior and you're willing to go through every folder where they are stored and compare each file to each name on the site every time you buy a video. It becomes a little hard to do that.
This makes much more sense than your previous post and was clearly typed out with a cooler head (I assume).

JerryBoBerry said:
...Instead I chose to wait and hope the owner would make a minor improvement by making the videos sortable by purchase date or by model.
I can see how that would upset you.

JerryBoBerry said:
Instead I find the whole storage is going away. I believe I am rightly annoyed because, yes, that now means i am downloading a couple hundred videos all at once just to get those few...
Now I fully understand a business' right to change something. But at the same time I have the right to not want to have anything to do with that business, if I've been dealing with them based on the way they do it, and they change it. Don't get upset anyone. That's just the way things work. I wish mired all the success in the world, honestly. This is not a personal thing at all.
Rightly annoyed, certainly. But to be fair, I would like to think you can see that a certain amount of that annoyance should be with yourself. And you have every right to discontinue your support of CamRedeem and anyone associated with them. It's a consumer's market.

Mired said:

Rock solid of you dude.

Jessi said:
I hope the new design will include easier file and code management too :pray: (delete multiple codes with checkboxes, or sorting options for files and codes).

YES YES YES! I always wanna delete used codes but it's so tedious. Maybe the ability to add folders (solo, girl/girl, boy/girl, fetish, whatever).

Also if you guys fixed the Promo Codes, that'd be so awesome! I used one and it still shows that it was redeemed 930+ times as opposed to the 30 times I told it to :lol: But it'd be so handy to be able to use it for things like "all tippers today get a video" or something.

Thanks for being so receptive, I really like CamRedeem and I'm glad you're so willing to listen to ideas and work with us. (Also I have no clue how to code anything so if I am suggesting things that are stupidly hard to do, I'm sorry!)

Jessi said:
So from my understanding, in the future, downloading from camredeem will be no different than downloading from mediafire/etc? (except that the links will expire and be IP unique, which is convenient for the models. yay)

I actually found the user account thing really frustrating, because
-many members would try to download the file as a guest, then make and account, then try to download it again as a member and get all confused or yell at me for the link not working.
-Or get indignant because they thought signup was required.
-couldnt figure out how to navigate the registration.
-Or got so excited they couldnt find the "redeem as guest" button.

These actually happen a lot. The end result is me having to send new codes again and again, or wasting time trying to explain how to download the file, or looking back through my records to see who tipped for what and send new codes. If there is just ONE button to click and a little blurb that the link will expire, there should be a lot less muckups.
I hope these changes will make everything more streamlined and quick for both model and customer.

This is exactly the type of feedback we've received regarding user accounts, but I'll leave it at that. I'd rather not beat a dead horse :)

Regarding the My Codes section, yes we do have changes planned. They may not go live with the redesign, but if they don't they should be a day or two later. We're working on both, but if we finish the redesign first it'll go live without the new my codes section while we finish it.

Currently the changes we have planned are:

• Remove redeemed codes from the page (they go on forever and ever), but add the ability to lookup a specific code to support user issues.
  • Add a button to delete all unredeemeed codes older than one week. We feel this will make it a lot easier to cleanup codes while minimizing the risk of deleting an unredeemed code that someone just didn't get around to redeeming yet.

GenXoxo said:
Jessi said:

YES YES YES! I always wanna delete used codes but it's so tedious. Maybe the ability to add folders (solo, girl/girl, boy/girl, fetish, whatever).

Also if you guys fixed the Promo Codes, that'd be so awesome! I used one and it still shows that it was redeemed 930+ times as opposed to the 30 times I told it to :lol: But it'd be so handy to be able to use it for things like "all tippers today get a video" or something.

Thanks for being so receptive, I really like CamRedeem and I'm glad you're so willing to listen to ideas and work with us. (Also I have no clue how to code anything so if I am suggesting things that are stupidly hard to do, I'm sorry!)

We can't actually have you delete Used codes because it would remove access to files for legitimate customers. The codes are the link between the customers and the files they purchased in the database, so deleting them deletes their ability to download them. We are removing them from the page though so they don't clutter everything up, and just making it so you can lookup a specific code if you need to.

We were unaware of the issue with promo codes. I'll add it to the top of the list, and we'll look into this right away. Broken things take priority over new features.

Reactions: LadyLuna and Gen
JerryBoBerry said:
mired said:

Thank you. I would appreciate that. And let me add your ability to stay rational, professional and not let this turn into another flame thread is commendable. I do respect that.

No problem, I find it's a lot more productive to express an opposing point of view without being a dick about it. We're not making changes to take things away from people, or make things harder for our users but rather in response to feedback from our customers. Having said that, I totally understand your frustration, and I will personally work on adding the sort feature later tonight and possibly tomorrow (assuming I don't finish it tonight). I do have a superbowl party to get to so I won't be able to work on it till later, but I'll let you know both via this thread and in a PM when it's fixed. It's important to me to remain professional because people would rather use a service when the public representative of the company is not being an asshole in a public forum. Plus, it's not like you're being a troll or flaming me, you just don't want to lose anything you've paid for, and I completely understand that.

LilyEvans said:
My impression was always that the cloud storage was simply a backup and was not meant as primary storage. If you never actually downloaded and stored the videos you wanted to keep I can't really feel sorry for you.

This quote has been making me think about this further. In my mind this actually WAS a feature of the site that enticed me greatly. The ability to have cloud storage and know should i get a computer failure i actually could download them again was a good thing. Personally I've spent hundreds of dollars on videos (more than that but i'd rather not depress myself thinking of the true number) and having a safe backup was a good option.

So to mired I simply put forth this thought. People already pay money every year for cloud storage of their files. Perhaps you should think of this as a site for not only models but members as well. If you were to have one time downloads as planned BUT have the option of paying a monthly or yearly fee for cloud storage of them as well to members. I'm wondering if that would not be a more profitable business model? Surely potential business from both sides of the fence would be a good thing.

JerryBoBerry said:
LilyEvans said:

This quote has been making me think about this further. In my mind this actually WAS a feature of the site that enticed me greatly. The ability to have cloud storage and know should i get a computer failure i actually could download them again was a good thing. Personally I've spent hundreds of dollars on videos (more than that but i'd rather not depress myself thinking of the true number) and having a safe backup was a good option.

So to mired I simply put forth this thought. People already pay money every year for cloud storage of their files. Perhaps you should think of this as a site for not only models but members as well. If you were to have one time downloads as planned BUT have the option of paying a monthly or yearly fee for cloud storage of them as well to members. I'm wondering if that would not be a more profitable business model? Surely potential business from both sides of the fence would be a good thing.

I will think about it, but maintaining two different payment models will be difficult, and as I said, this site is first and foremost for models. However, I get the appeal of what you are saying. At the end of the day my goal here was to simplify things as much as possible for Models when someone buys a video and goes to use the site for the first time. Having three buttons there to choose from confuses a LOT more people than you would expect.

JoleneBrody said:

SRSLY WTF?

I've been looking back at this and I noticed all the models thanking your post. Let me start off by saying i'm not upset at this. But I am rather surprised at the sheer volume of models who don't seem to have a clue how this works from the user side.

I've explained pretty well I think in previous posts here why I was annoyed with 'one' aspect of these changes. Let me illustrate another point. The restrictions currently in place make it somewhat hard for a person who's bought videos to actually download them without signing up for an account. Should anything go wrong at all, that code is useless.

I believe sevrin already mentioned one aspect of changing IP addresses, i'll add another. I use a VPN, that information is hard coded into my router so every device connected to my network is going through it. The IP address changes. I can also manually change it. It's nothing for me to be coming from Toronto, Chicago, Florida, Texas....all in one night. I also use multiple browsers (I have 8 or so installed now). I like to go through Toronto because it gives me good lag free video connections on most mfc rooms. But it's not necessarily the fastest for file downloads. So when I buy a 7 minute video and discover that model has chosen to encode it at 1.4GB (bluray quality) and i'm looking at a 6 hour download I might like the option of changing to a faster location. Can't do that even now, if i change anything once it's started I have to go back to the model and ask for another code. Also if the download gets cancelled for any other reason outside my control.

The new security features make that even more difficult. It's nice be able to add them to an account where if I do need to even restart the download I can do that easily.

Now, instead of thinking of this as a single file think of this as buying a special from a model. Let's say 50 videos for 550 tokens. With this proposed change I no longer have an account to add them to. I am stuck downloading them right then, immediately, and praying i have time in the day to get them and nothing happens during, or that code becomes meaningless part way through again.

From a user point of view this change represents making it incredibly more difficult to deal with in any manner. At least with dropbox or Drive I can simply add them to my account and the software automatically downloads them.

So keep on thanking the posts saying i'm nuts. But I suspect i'm not the only user who won't like the changes coming.

There's actually several other logical reasons why I would rather not buy from a model using this after the changes go through, but i'm honestly tired of explaining rather obvious things no one else seems to have ever given a thought to.

All I can suggest is go buy a couple hundred videos from a couple dozen models and then let me know your thoughts. I have a feeling you'll have other things to say then.

Status
Not open for further replies.