AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Video Editing Programs/Tutorials?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HollieCakes

Inactive Cam Model
Apr 2, 2011
Austin, TX
holliecakes.com
Twitter Username
@holliecam
MFC Username
holliecakes
What do you all use & recommend??

I used feel like a pro using Windows Movie Maker and know my way around but seeing as I haven't done with since 2008 all the software has changed around (I have Windows 7 now) and I don't have a clue how to use it. I am equally as long using the one that came on my Mac.

Any one know any easy program (preferably free)? or have helpful tutorials??

I really would like to be able to offer videos like everyone else seems to. Actually I have some overdue because I thought I could do it but it turns out I'm tech challenged :woops:

Super thanks for any recommendations!

I've been using iMovie, the program that came with the mac. I like it because I didn't have to read any tutorials to figure out how to do things hah. It was pretty straight foreward.. copy and paste, delete the parts I want.. put text in parts.

There are SOOOOOOO Many tutorials on youtube on how to edit video, it's insane. All you need to do is type what you want to do and theres a million people teaching you how.

Reactions: HollieCakes
I think mediafire is a popular choice for camgirls, I also hear a lot of people recommend megaupload. I prefer mediafire though, but I think that if you name your videos sexual things like "blowjobandfuckvideo" they have a chance of getting deleted by mediafire.

Mediafire has never deleted me even those most of my videos were named "bluedildo" "glasscum" etc. I still use and love mediafire!

Also you if you have Windows 7, you have Windows Live Movie Maker not Windows Movie Maker, confusing..but two different programs.

I just youtubed instructional videos about Windows Live Movie Maker. I have found that it is perfect for my needs, and it gets the job done, and I can get creative if I want to without it being too difficult. =)

AnaVictoriaXO said:
I think mediafire is a popular choice for camgirls, I also hear a lot of people recommend megaupload. I prefer mediafire though, but I think that if you name your videos sexual things like "blowjobandfuckvideo" they have a chance of getting deleted by mediafire.

Megaupload was seized by the government, so it's out as a host. Mediafire is pretty much the best choice, at the moment. I would definitely try and not name files anything suggestive, though. I'm not sure they officially have any rule against it, but no point in risking the hassle.

I would say .mp4 would be the file format of choice. It's the most compatible for both Macs and PCs and has a good quality/size ratio.

I just figured out how to do basic editing too. And same- I had some long overdue movies because I just couldn't wrap my head around editing.

I used iMovie. It was really simple to use and figure out for the most part, but I did watch this tutorial to make sure I was doing it right: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J79_0h3ozS0. It's pretty simple but it gave me a good idea of what I needed to do.
I think I learned this from that tutorial, but I renamed the file as a .mov after it was saved and then uploaded it to mediafire. I had a 10 minute video and I think it was about 128 mb, so that was awesome (I made a movie once before that was over 700 mb and I couldn't figure out how to change the size without absolutely ruining the quality. I know, I'm super slow with this shit).

Ah! And it might not be the best option but I recorded my video with Photobooth, which kept things simple. I think you can now also record with Quicktime too.

Good luck!

So many replies, thanks so much :-D

It seems like iMovie is a lot easier to navigate for me but the trouble is getting my video on there.

I made my video with my Logitech on my Windows laptop that I got just for camming (not a fan of windows but I must have all the Logitech settings!) so it's .wmv format.
Yesterday I had to upload it to media fire just to move it on to my Mac then get a converter program (.wmv to .mov) and then for whatever reason iMovie STILL would accept it when I tried to drag it in. :woops:

I am going to try once again today though.

Anyone else do it this way?

I may have to just accept it and work out how to use the Windows Live Movie Maker instead. Can't see myself making a video with the builtin Mac cam because of angles and also my Mac is a desktop too.

HollieCakes said:
Yesterday I had to upload it to media fire just to move it on to my Mac then get a converter program (.wmv to .mov) and then for whatever reason iMovie STILL would accept it when I tried to drag it in. :woops:
WMV is a proprietary format of Microsoft and, as far as I know, iMovie (Apple) does not accept proprietary formats.

I use FFMPEG when I have to convert WMV. But unless you don't mind to work with command line, I wouldn't recommend it. There must be some small app with interface that can convert WMV to MOV, but I don't know any.

Good to see you back ;)

HollieCakes said:
So many replies, thanks so much :-D

It seems like iMovie is a lot easier to navigate for me but the trouble is getting my video on there.

I made my video with my Logitech on my Windows laptop that I got just for camming (not a fan of windows but I must have all the Logitech settings!) so it's .wmv format.

I am going to try once again today though.

Anyone else do it this way?

I may have to just accept it and work out how to use the Windows Live Movie Maker instead. Can't see myself making a video with the builtin Mac cam because of angles and also my Mac is a desktop too.

I use my logitech on my Mac. It should work when you plug it in without using the Logitech software. You can use iGlasses to change the settings on the Logitech and record it in Photobooth, or whatever recording software you want to use.

MyCamgirl said:
HollieCakes said:
WMV is a proprietary format of Microsoft and, as far as I know, iMovie (Apple) does not accept proprietary formats.

I use FFMPEG when I have to convert WMV. But unless you don't mind to work with command line, I wouldn't recommend it. There must be some small app with interface that can convert WMV to MOV, but I don't know any.

Good to see you back ;)

Yep I already used a program to convert the video from WMV to MOV format but even after it was MOV for some reason I couldn't get it to load into iMovie. I am going to try a different program to convert it today that one of my Mfc guys reccomended.

I really would rather be able to shoot on my pc laptop because it's portable and also I'm used to the Logitech software settings (I tried iglasses before and didn't have much luck) but might try that if all else fails.

Caireen, do send the movies to people in .mov format or do they need to be .wmv?

HollieCakes said:
Caireen, do send the movies to people in .mov format or do they need to be .wmv?

I send it in .mov and no one seems to have an issue. Just like if I sent it .wmv Mac users would have to get a program to see it- Windows users need to have Quicktime or VLC (VLC works right??) to see it, but it's not hard to get and lots of people have it already.

HollieCakes said:
MyCamgirl said:
HollieCakes said:

Good to see you back ;)

Yep I already used a program to convert the video from WMV to MOV format but even after it was MOV for some reason I couldn't get it to load into iMovie. I am going to try a different program to convert it today that one of my Mfc guys reccomended.

I really would rather be able to shoot on my pc laptop because it's portable and also I'm used to the Logitech software settings (I tried iglasses before and didn't have much luck) but might try that if all else fails.

This is a common problem with Apple movie editing software. Be it iMovie or Final Cut Pro. I've used both (though I refuse to get FCP X... or as I call it, iMovie with more bells and whistles). I've had problems after converting videos to .mov format getting them to load in iMovie and FCP. Or, just as bad, taking forever and a day to import.

However, you can sometimes get around the inability to drag and drop by going to FILE>IMPORT. Not always, though.

If you can get the formats to import, when exporting I would suggest using .mp4 over .wmv or .mov formats. The .mp4 format is compatible on Macs and Windows, as well as Unix based systems (Linux variants, etc.), and it is far smaller than the other formats without losing a lot of quality to compression.

As an example, I did a tutorial for the fatalities in the new Mortal Kombat game. The second part is 14 minutes, 32 seconds long, at 60 frames per second, with stereo sound ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxarEfae028 ). The file I uploaded to YouTube and Blip.TV is only 642.1 MB in size. If I had saved this as a .mov or a .wmv (I use Adobe Premiere, now, not FCP), then the file size would be over twice as big. This sounds like a lot, but remember, your videos are probably only going to be 24-30 frames per second, which means the file size will be dropped, considerably, even if you still have stereo sound. If you also go to mono sound, then the file size becomes even smaller.

caireen said:
HollieCakes said:

I send it in .mov and no one seems to have an issue. Just like if I sent it .wmv Mac users would have to get a program to see it- Windows users need to have Quicktime or VLC (VLC works right??) to see it, but it's not hard to get and lots of people have it already.

VLC will work, yes. If Windows users are also using iTunes, then they normally will have QuickTime as well. The default iTunes install for Windows has it... you have to specify in the download that you do not want QuickTime Player as well. And it's fairly convoluted for people to do that.

MyCamgirl said:
HollieCakes said:

Good to see you back ;)

MPEG Streamclip may do the job. And it's free.

Reactions: 1 person
I can't seem to edit the previous posts... but I should also mention the videos I do are 720p, 1280x720 resolution. You probably won't need that in your videos, again making the file sizes even smaller.

HollieCakes said:
What do you all use & recommend??

I used feel like a pro using Windows Movie Maker and know my way around but seeing as I haven't done with since 2008 all the software has changed around (I have Windows 7 now) and I don't have a clue how to use it. I am equally as long using the one that came on my Mac.

Any one know any easy program (preferably free)? or have helpful tutorials??

I really would like to be able to offer videos like everyone else seems to. Actually I have some overdue because I thought I could do it but it turns out I'm tech challenged :woops:

Super thanks for any recommendations!

for professional editing try CamtasiaStudio (it's not free but worth every dime, penny, cent, euro....)

Reactions: 1 person
I've got a pirated copy of Adobe Premiere Pro cs4 and it works great! I do have some school training in editing, but really if you've got a feel for how video editing works you shouldn't have any problem with it. After all, you're not going to have to do much more than cut and possibly add audio and text. As my Video teacher used to say: "Shit in will be shit out", meaning if your raw material is bad, there's no way you'll get a good end result no matter how good you are at your program!

I have problem editing video right now simply because my computer can't handle it, but once I've got enough money to build my new one I'll be getting to work making vids :) I'd film with my Nikon though, not my webcam - the Nikon is HD and just handier if you want to get creative with angles and stuff like that... Maybe I'm just really ambitious :p

Anyhow, if you've got the skill to download and install pirated copies, there are plenty of them on Piratebay :) My whole OS is pirated :p

HollieCakes said:
2 more questions -

What is the best format to save it as?
& is MediaFire still the hosting site of choice for cam girls?

I do .wmv and use Windows Live Movie Maker Version, but I use the one that's Version 2011 (Build 15.4.3555.0308). My friend told me about the newer version of it, but I wasn't used to it and preferred the older version that I'm already used to.

I've been saving my movies to the 'Burn to DVD' option. With that option it's a 720x480 pixels display size, and the estimates file size is 21.39 MB per minute of video. I try to balance it out to make sure the video is a decent display size, yet I don't want the file to be ridiculously large, causing me and the viewer to have to wait a long time for uploading/downloading. I'll probably try experimenting with higher up settings when I save videos, just to see if it's worth it to go higher up. Here are the options with Windows Live Movie Maker Version 2011:

Common settings:
For email - 426x240 pixels. 11.07 MB per minute of video.
Burn a dvd - 720x480 pixels. 21.39 MB per minute of video.
For computer - 854x480 pixels. 40.71 MB per minute of video.
For high-definition display - 1920x1080 pixels. 173.03 MB per minute of video.

And there's an option called Recommended for this project, and Create custom setting.

Mobile device settings:
Zune HD (for device) - 484x272 pixels. 15.22 MB per minute of video.
Zune HD (for 720 pixels display) - 1280x720 pixels. 87.66 MB per minute of video.
Windows Phone (small) - 426x240 pixels. 11.42 MB per minute of video.
Windows Phone (large) - 854x480 pixels. 36.68 MB per minute of video.

I love MediaFire for video hosting, and I upgraded to the MediaFire Pro option that costs $9/month.

Reactions: caireen
AliceDoe said:
I've got a pirated copy of Adobe Premiere Pro cs4 and it works great! I do have some school training in editing, but really if you've got a feel for how video editing works you shouldn't have any problem with it. After all, you're not going to have to do much more than cut and possibly add audio and text. As my Video teacher used to say: "Shit in will be shit out", meaning if your raw material is bad, there's no way you'll get a good end result no matter how good you are at your program!

I have problem editing video right now simply because my computer can't handle it, but once I've got enough money to build my new one I'll be getting to work making vids :) I'd film with my Nikon though, not my webcam - the Nikon is HD and just handier if you want to get creative with angles and stuff like that... Maybe I'm just really ambitious :p

Anyhow, if you've got the skill to download and install pirated copies, there are plenty of them on Piratebay :) My whole OS is pirated :p

You are really going to suggest people use pirated software to create content they would be upset if it gets pirated? :think:

Reactions: Kradek
Just Me said:
AliceDoe said:

You are really going to suggest people use pirated software to create content they would be upset if it gets pirated? :think:

Our content does get pirated, it's part of our job and it happens all the time.

Adobe isn't losing much when I pirate their stuff because if I didn't there's still no way I could afford it. This way I get to learn the programs and possibly eventually invest in them when I have the possibility to. That's why many companies will actually release pirate copies of their stuff and not fix the loop holes that allow for pirating, it's great advertising.

AliceDoe said:

Adobe isn't losing much when I pirate their stuff because if I didn't there's still no way I could afford it. This way I get to learn the programs and possibly eventually invest in them when I have the possibility to. That's why many companies will actually release pirate copies of their stuff and not fix the loop holes that allow for pirating, it's great advertising.
I'll let my realtor know that the next time I want to live in a house I can't afford. Hey! it's great advertising!

Kradek said:
AliceDoe said:

I'll let my realtor know that the next time I want to live in a house I can't afford. Hey! it's great advertising!

As I said, software creators actually make pirating possible. They could stop pirating right now if they wanted to, but they don't. You wouldn't pay all that money for Adobe Design Suite if you didn't know how to use it, would you? Adobe knows that, and that's why they release pirated copies of their software and thus spread it around the globe and ensure a position as the most popular editing software in the world.

It doesn't work the same way for realtors. There's squatting though, go for it if you want to.

At the bottom of a very long superfluous debate is a simple fact; someone wrote it with the expectation of compensation and you're using it without compensating them. Handwave it however you want. People pirate because it's easy and it's low risk.

Reactions: schlmoe
I have a question about Windows Live Movie Maker for those that use it; I usually use iMovie with no troubles but since my mac is out of service at the moment and I bought a pc I'm trying to edit a video with Windows. In iMovie it's super simple to record a video, import it, then cut out clips throughout the video- in Live Movie Maker it seems you can only cut pieces of a clip from the beginning and end (that is, I can't cut out a section from :14-:29, then another section from 1:29-1:36, etc, etc; I can only cut from the beginning and end). Is that right? Or can someone explain to me how to trim multiple sections from the same clip?

(I've searched the net and looked at tutorials but can't seem to figure it out!)

caireen said:
I have a question about Windows Live Movie Maker for those that use it; I usually use iMovie with no troubles but since my mac is out of service at the moment and I bought a pc I'm trying to edit a video with Windows. In iMovie it's super simple to record a video, import it, then cut out clips throughout the video- in Live Movie Maker it seems you can only cut pieces of a clip from the beginning and end (that is, I can't cut out a section from :14-:29, then another section from 1:29-1:36, etc, etc; I can only cut from the beginning and end). Is that right? Or can someone explain to me how to trim multiple sections from the same clip?

(I've searched the net and looked at tutorials but can't seem to figure it out!)

You can split it anywhere, and then delete the sections you do not want or just move them.

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 209
Status
Not open for further replies.