AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

When a guy "just wants to know your real name."

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooky

I haven't posted recently, hopefully will be back soon!
Inactive Cam Model
Oct 20, 2012
www.pooky.cammodels.com
What do you do?

I'm curious what other model's reactions are to this. Specifically the girls who have a stage name.

Do you get asked frequently?

If so, what is your reaction? Girls with stage names, do you pretend as if that's your real name? Have you ever been asked follow up questions regarding your privacy from your customers?

I find that admitting my stage name isn't my real name makes them beg for my real name.

Annoying.

Thoughts?

My real name is Isabel, so I only changed mine a little bit. Everyone on cam used to call me Isabella, everyone in real life Izzie. Now Izzie has caught on in my camroom.... Everyone everywhere now calls me Izzie... Which I don't really mind but if a member ever spots me in real life I would hope they use "Isabella" to give me a heads up on where they know me from.

As for people wanting to know my last name... yeah, it makes me feel very uncomfortable when even close members hint at it. One of my regulars was saying a few months ago because we were talking about surnames/whether children should bear the woman's surname or the man's. He started saying "I'd like to know what your last name is someday." in such a way that it was like he assumed that one day I'd share it with him. He's a really cool guy and I chat to him a lot, but it did take me aback. The only situation I'd do that would be if I were leaving camming, and then why on earth would I tell someone my real info?!

If they ask my name, I tell them Violet. If they ask if that's my real name, I tell them that it could be.

If they persist and ask what my real name is, I ask them why that information is relevant at all and if they don't respect my privacy, they'll get banned so quickly they won't even remember my name at all. I don't get asked all that frequently, though.

Any personal information guys ask, I typically respond with a "maybe," of some sort. If they ask if I'm from a specific state because of my dialect, I'll usually say, "Possibly," or "Sure, I can be from wherever you want to believe I'm from." I'm that way about everything and it depends on my mood if I'll go off on them for disrespecting my privacy or just mess with them. Usually I make up the most off the wall things in the moment that guys typically understand to stop asking.

Pooky said:
What do you do?

I'm curious what other model's reactions are to this. Specifically the girls who have a stage name.

If so, what is your reaction?

No, I don't get asked that often. I'd probably get this weird expression on my face and tell him he can either call me my screen name, or 'Fox', or 'Shelly'. If he says "No, I mean your real name (and some knucklehead's actually said that to me)," I'll tell him don't ask personal questions, please. *And a person with common sense shouldn't have to be told this by a cam girl, and should just drop it after the model's first response.* If he continues to harass me about it, he'll get banned.

Now I sort of know what Jem/Jerrica Benton feels like. :lol:

There is a similar stance for premium members too, although nobody generally cares what their real name is. I am careful not to give out too much personal info because I don't want the stigma that society attaches to adult entertainment to follow me to the workplace, I know certain people there are childish and wouldn't leave me alone.

Astute observers may have noticed that I am a cute little piglet. Really? I could be a goat... maybe. ;)

It annoys me to see members pressing models for their name or location, I will sometimes step in with something like 'What difference does it make? She's still hot!', or 'Hotsville, Babeland', but try to leave any chastisement to the model.

Pooky said:
What do you do?

If so, what is your reaction? Girls with stage names, do you pretend as if that's your real name? Have you ever been asked follow up questions regarding your privacy from your customers?

I find that admitting my stage name isn't my real name makes them beg for my real name.

Annoying.

Thoughts?
No one ever asks me what my "real" name is because Evvie Andrews looks like a real name. On Streamate, for example, I see your name is Pooky, which is just adorable! But nobody is thinking that is your actual name. Sometimes I do have guys that say "so what is your name sweetheart?" and I just say, "my name is Evvie." I don't remember the last time someone said, "no, you real name," and I think it's been over a year at least. If they did, I would just tell them that Evvie is my real life nickname (I had a guy calling me Evelyn for a while. I was so confused. Apparently he thought that Evvie, being a possible diminutive of Evelyn, meant that Evelyn was my real name). Perhaps you would be well-off choosing a fake real name? Then whenever someone asks you can just be like "I'm Jennifer, shut up and give me money."

I do get follow-up questions regarding my other personal info though, especially my location. Streamate advertises on a lot of white label hookup/casual sex sites, so about 30% of the people who ever come in to my room seem to be expecting IRL sex. I feel that when it comes to addressing these issues, the important thing is to not be overly concerned or anxious. Your face is on a big screen. If you look stressed or upset, plenty of dudes will want to dig deeper to find out why. If you look like they just asked the most trivial question in the world, they will be less inclined to continue that line of conversation.

When I was Tigresslily, people just assumed Lily, which is what I go by all the time (Thankfully because people in my house have a tendency to forget I'm on cam, and say things like "Hey Lily..."). When I was A_Cute_Mew, I would claim that it was my real first name, and how it was super embarrassing that my birth certificate had underscores. Now that I'm Godiva420 nobody's asked yet...I'll probably go with what I said for A_Cute_Mew, but say numbers instead of underscores or something. :p

The question shouldn't be asked, and any guy worth his salt knows that. That information is a key part of the privacy boundaries necessary in this business. Anyone who doesn't understand that could very well have a manipulating, controlling personality and be nothing but trouble. Be a shame to lose a source of revenue, but better that than adding a stalker or worse.

I suppose there are exceptions, including some pretty cool potential friendships, but why take the chance?

Evvie said:
Pooky said:
What do you do?

Annoying.

Thoughts?
No one ever asks me what my "real" name is because Evvie Andrews looks like a real name.

I think you nailed it Evvie. I have observed this too and in many different rooms. The ones that choose an actual name for their id (stage name of course) are far less likely to get asked this. And I think that quite often it is only because guys like to refer to a girl by name. At least in my case that is why I would care to know. And by that I mean to know a name, not a real name.

To use Yummy's excellent example I would feel far more comfortable referring to her as Shelly then as Yummy (even though she really is pretty damn yummy) just because it seems more respectful and personal to me. It has nothing to do with wanting an actual real name so I can go look someone up. I just think it's a good idea for all models to have a stage name even if it is only so that you can answer the "what is your (real) name?" question. Plus it gives us members a name to refer to you by. If you already use a stage name and they keep asking for your real name just repeat the stage name because now the person is just being a nosy ass.

Brad said:
Evvie said:
Pooky said:
What do you do?

Annoying.

Thoughts?
No one ever asks me what my "real" name is because Evvie Andrews looks like a real name.

I think you nailed it Evvie. I have observed this too and in many different rooms. The ones that choose an actual name for their id (stage name of course) are far less likely to get asked this. And I think that quite often it is only because guys like to refer to a girl by name. At least in my case that is why I would care to know. And by that I mean to know a name, not a real name.

To use Yummy's excellent example I would feel far more comfortable referring to her as Shelly then as Yummy (even though she really is pretty damn yummy) just because it seems more respectful and personal to me. It has nothing to do with wanting an actual real name so I can go look someone up. I just think it's a good idea for all models to have a stage name even if it is only so that you can answer the "what is your (real) name?" question. Plus it gives us members a name to refer to you by. If you already use a stage name and they keep asking for your real name just repeat the stage name because now the person is just being a nosy ass.
Not only that, but in general, it just gets pretty tiring answering the same question over and over. Having a 'real' name in your screen name somewhere tends to limit people asking 'wat ur name bb' significantly. CumTitties2 may be a man magnet but she's probably getting fifty guys a shift asking her what she ought to be named.

I feel a good solution, for women who have a 'not a name' name is to prominently display their chosen 'fake real name' on their profile somewhere. If my Streamate username was ShortPaleRedhead or whatever, I could put in the About My Show section, "My name is Evvie!" (About My show is the first box the members will see). Or on MFC, obviously you could put on your profile, "My name is Evvie!" or whatever your fake real name is.

There are several advantages to choosing a stage name that has a given name and surname, but obviously women who don't do this are doing just fine for themselves. It's all up to personal preference.

There's never any real reason for a member to need to know your name. Maybe if they were sending you a package (and you trusted them to send you a packkage) and you lived with housemates/parents, and you were worried a fake name might arouse suspicion from your housemates/parents. That's pretty much the only scenario I can think of where a member might legitimately need to know your real name.

I've shared my real name with two members from my newbie days. It makes me really uncomfortable thinking back on it. Luckily, none of them really come around anymore or are weird about it or anything. I'm a pretty good judge of character, so I truly don't think they'll ever abuse it, but I just hate the possibility of it. My name is pretty unique so it wouldn't be too tough to find me based on it. I've also accidentally said it on cam once (pretty much no one in my room), and another camgirl I was with said it in my room once (lots of people.) I've asked around and no one caught it, and there are no recordings I've found of either of those days.

But to answer the real question, I don't get asked too much, because I have a "real" name. I really think it's a great idea for camgirls, for a lot of the reasons people said in this thread. If you're not too attached to it, I would consider changing yours. I'm really blunt and if someone does ask I just say this is the name I go by, you only have permission to know me as Natalia, deal with it.

I've only been asked what my name is by people who PM me just to chat about their boners. It is usually their first question, and when I reply with "Amelia" they don't press it. I assumed it's the first question that men have been trained to ask women, followed by "what size dick do u prefer."

I know several "real" names, but I almost never have a use for them. It just happened for different reasons with different models. If someone cares about your name they might be the kind of person who should not learn it.

NataliaGrey said:
I've shared my real name with two members from my newbie days. It makes me really uncomfortable thinking back on it. Luckily, none of them really come around anymore or are weird about it or anything. I'm a pretty good judge of character, so I truly don't think they'll ever abuse it, but I just hate the possibility of it. My name is pretty unique so it wouldn't be too tough to find me based on it. I've also accidentally said it on cam once (pretty much no one in my room), and another camgirl I was with said it in my room once (lots of people.) I've asked around and no one caught it, and there are no recordings I've found of either of those days.

But to answer the real question, I don't get asked too much, because I have a "real" name. I really think it's a great idea for camgirls, for a lot of the reasons people said in this thread. If you're not too attached to it, I would consider changing yours. I'm really blunt and if someone does ask I just say this is the name I go by, you only have permission to know me as Natalia, deal with it.
I identify as Evvie now so much that I fairly often stop myself and say, "whew, close call! I almost told them my name was Evvie!"

Followed by an, "oh, wait..."

This is probably a shameful fact about me, but I feel I would have a tough time remembering the "real" names of camgirls, especially the ones I knew on the Internet for some time before meeting them. I have known the real names of a few camgirls in my day but calling them that just feels unnatural to me :lol: plus our names tend to be way more badass. Veronica Chaos? Are you kidding me? Totes cooler than anything a parent could come up with.

pg240 said:
The question shouldn't be asked, and any guy worth his salt knows that. That information is a key part of the privacy boundaries necessary in this business. Anyone who doesn't understand that could very well have a manipulating, controlling personality and be nothing but trouble. Be a shame to lose a source of revenue, but better that than adding a stalker or worse.

I suppose there are exceptions, including some pretty cool potential friendships, but why take the chance?

Well said. I've NEVER asked - it's none of my business. However, I've exchanged first names with a few models. Sometimes I was surprised because it came out of nowhere. It was usually merely to be able to use more convenient names than our (sometimes goofy) screen names. Didn't matter whether they were "real names" or not.

The only full names came (from me) when I was to receive a package from a model. Yes, I know the risk goes both ways to some extent but I took some chances.

Evvie said:
NataliaGrey said:

I identify as Evvie now so much that I fairly often stop myself and say, "whew, close call! I almost told them my name was Evvie!"

This is probably a shameful fact about me, but I feel I would have a tough time remembering the "real" names of camgirls, especially the ones I knew on the Internet for some time before meeting them. I have known the real names of a few camgirls in my day but calling them that just feels unnatural to me :lol: plus our names tend to be way more badass. Veronica Chaos? Are you kidding me? Totes cooler than anything a parent could come up with.
Before naming her daughter China, Grace Slick said that she didn't think parents should name their kids at all, but let them name themselves. lol It would be interesting to witness. I'm guessing kids would name themselves to a large extent based on whatever fads were in at the time--similar to how their parents name them now...except different fad era.

wjr3 said:
pg240 said:

Well said. I've NEVER asked - it's none of my business. However, I've exchanged first names with a few models. Sometimes I was surprised because it came out of nowhere. It was usually merely to be able to use more convenient names than our (sometimes goofy) screen names. Didn't matter whether they were "real names" or not.

The only full names came (from me) when I was to receive a package from a model. Yes, I know the risk goes both ways to some extent but I took some chances.
I feel for anyone who is often receiving packages from cam models, and who is concerned about security, getting a PO box would be beneficial. My understanding is that you can add additional names to it that would clear you to pick up packages not addressed to you. For example, if I got a PO box, I would file to pick up packages both addressed to my legal name and to 'Evvie Andrews'. Simply switching out your surname would probably be sufficient security for most people (if a model knows you by your first name, she may become suspicious if packages are sent to "Bradley" if she knows you by "David". Although some people may consider this to be paranoia, most models err well to the side of caution when stories don't line up).

I know the name of some models on here; but then I never asked for it and would have tried to figure out a way they didn't need to or whatever. I did impress very strongly on them that wither they had great instincts or were lucky I have zero interest or intention of even keeping copies of such names and addresses unless I actually need them...then they go somwhere safe.

I think a good indication to be wary random name-askers is if they just dont accept whatever answer you give them when your 'real name', or if they are so insistent on your real name when they;ve known you all of 10 minutes/1 week/10 weeks...etc....stalker written all over it imo.

mankor said:
There is a similar stance for premium members too, although nobody generally cares what their real name is. I am careful not to give out too much personal info because I don't want the stigma that society attaches to adult entertainment to follow me to the workplace, I know certain people there are childish and wouldn't leave me alone.

THIS. Glad to see someone who feels the same way about it as I do. I'd also die if my family knew all the details of my, er, internet hobbies. Plus I live in a relatively small town, where nearly everyone knows everyone else.
I've noticed that a lot of Eastern European models introduce themselves via pm with a personal name that isn't related to their username. "Hi, I'm Viktoria, what's your name?" Maybe they're less concerned about privacy in those parts?
Actually had one a while back who insisted halfway through a private that I tell her my name before she continued. I nearly ended it right there but instead gave her the first fake name that popped into my head. :lol:

Reactions: mankor
emptiedglass said:
Actually had one a while back who insisted halfway through a private that I tell her my name before she continued. I nearly ended it right there but instead gave her the first fake name that popped into my head. :lol:

I offer a lot of "high pledger = name moaned!" GOLD shows and I still never demand their real name. I'm like, "Sooo, HARD4UBB, do you have anything else you'd rather us call you?" I've moaned some pretty bizarro names because of it, a regular likes us to call him Batman which has nothing to do with his username.

But most of the time "Mike" wins. One time, there were two guys in a pledging war to get high pledge throwing out massive amounts and come to find out, both of their names were Mike anyway.

Miss_Lollipop said:
huh.

Should I not ask your name when I start a private then?

Cos I usually ask for a first name... so that it feels more intimate. I don't care if its real or not... and if they say no I wouldn't push it, but now wondering if i should even do that.
I don't ask any longer, but when I was new to MFC, I'd ask, "how would you like me to address you?" (since many had model names that would be absurd to say over and over.) :)

Miss_Lollipop said:
huh.

Should I not ask your name when I start a private then?

Cos I usually ask for a first name... so that it feels more intimate. I don't care if its real or not... and if they say no I wouldn't push it, but now wondering if i should even do that.

We had chatted in pm prior to the show, and I told her I wasn't comfortable sharing that information. She was pretty insistent on it and demanding it before getting to the good part the private show was completely inappropriate IMHO.
I don't mind so much when models ask, as I politely tell them I don't give it out. If they don't leave it be after that point, that's when I get a little pissed off.

I just say my name is Red. That is what people call me, that is what i prefer to go by. That is what my loves ones call me. There are a couple members that know my real name..but never call me it (these are people i know from the real world as well).

All over the place I say "everyone calls me red". This is kinda a hint...hey people..call me Red..

If they press the issue, I just tell them they will not know. I am not going to tell them and to please stop asking.

That has always stopped them...but if they were to continue--not sure what my next step would be.

Reactions: AllisonWilder
emptiedglass said:
I nearly ended it right there but instead gave her the first fake name that popped into my head. :lol:

The first fake name that usually pops into my head when asked is 'Dave', I find it awkward and I don't like having to lie like this, but I'm just not in the habit of telling perfect strangers any personal info because I know how easily it could be used against me, particularly if it's a studio model with who-knows-what going on behind the scenes. :geek:

Reactions: emptiedglass
Evviiie. What's your real name again? :tard:
I know you told me once :(

Evvie said:
NataliaGrey said:

Status
Not open for further replies.